Early Player Review

kehatch

Honestly I expect Russell is the odd man out when Brodie returns. He's had the most mistakes.

Gio-Brodie

Wideman - Hamilton

Kulak - Engellend

Strong top 4 and pretty good bottom 2

I'm ok with that.

It might happen. Russell is the pending UFA of the bunch. Russell's camp says negotiations are starting, but Treliving sounded far from confident when interviewed. I could see him moved to address a need elsewhere.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give it a rest.  Was talking about how Kulak was deserving of play.  Brodie comes back in, who would you suggest sitting?

Automatically it has to be Kulak because he isn't a vet?  

Big Ern gets outplayed and sits.  Raymond gets outplayed and sits.  He outplays another player and gets back in.  Wideman gets outplayed and sits for a game.  Scratch whoever doesn't give you the best chance to win.  If it's Engelland or Russell or Kulak, then that is what you do.  

My suggested lineup works for most games.  Engelland works for others.

You think certain players are that much better, I just don't see it.

I could say the same to you, give it a rest. Yes Kulak likely is the player who sits when Brodie comes back, he may even go back down when Smid makes it back. I also think if they aren't going to use Raymond on the top 2 lines park him on the sidelines or get rid of him.

I don't see Engelland getting demoted. He has been good with Kulak this season. I think the Flames might move Russell, but not if the coach has a say. He is part of the leadership core and he leads the team in ice time.

Kulak is the odd man out. Which I am okay with. He has very little AHL time. Let him take what he learned to the AHL and be the next injury call up. There is nothing wrong with that.

Engellend has played very well so far.  He's been mistake free and his intensity level is high.  He's played beyond what is usually asked of a bottom pair Dman.  Sure, still overpaid at his cap hit but he's been solid.  Can't complain.  He's not the reason we are losing.

Kulak has been shakey the first few games but has settled in very well.  He looks increasingly more confident out there and it's showing.  Only knock on him is that he's weak and easily knocked off balance.  He's weak along the boards and if he can't improve his strength, then he should be doing so in the AHL, not in the NHL.  I do agree when Brodie returns, Kulak sits/goes back to minors.

In terms of the other D,

Giordano - has been playing below average.  He played okay in the Jets game but hasn't looked Norris-like otherwise.  He looks hestitant and less confident.  He also looks physically weaker and slower.  Most of all, he looks like he's starving to score a goal to prove to himself that he's back to 100%.   In any event, he needs to pick it up a notch because where he goes, the Flames go.

Hamilton - He's a lot more unpolished than i thought.  Defensive break downs galore.  Misreads on occassion and simply getting overpowered in some situations.  He also doesn't hit as much as everybody would llke a big Dman to hit.  It's like Jay Bouwmeester v2.0 or something.  He's a great skater, good reach, good size, but at the end of the day, he's easy to get around.  At least his offensive upside looks higher than Bouwmeester.  I'm not writing him off but just noting my early thoughts.

Wideman - has played alright.  What he and Russell did in the playoffs was exceptional.  He's now back to being who he is and that's a second pair Dman.  As a vet, he's playing like he's saving gas for the second half of the season or something.  The intensity level isn't there.

Russell - overall, i think he's playing okay as well.  Russell simply isn't a top pair Dman and it's showing.  If you were expecting more, then that's a mistake.  He is what he is, a 4/5 guy.  I think he's pressing too hard offensively and asked to carry the puck up ice in Brodie's absense.  He needs to keep it simple.

In terms of our forwards, i'm not impressed by many of them.

Gaudreau - creating a lot out of nothing but he's passing away scoring chances and losing the puck too often stickhandling on bad ice. I've lost count how many times the puck skipped off his stick in the offensive zone because he was doing a sharp cut and the ice eats the puck.  I would like to see him shoot more.

Monahan - Has played okay but relies too much on Gaudreau and Hudler to carry the puck.  He seems to be doing much better on the faceoff circle this season and he looks stronger in general.

Hudler - just not having any puck luck so far this season.  Case in point, he gets a pass with a wide open net for a tap in and he couldn't receive the pass clean.  He's playing with a lot of confidence and i'm sorta wondering if he's playing in over his head. 

Ferland - Needs to realize when he's skating so slow, he can't stick handle through NHL D.  Yet he tries all the time to make moves and deke past players with the puck.  Man, just keep it simple.  Play the power forward game and leave the cute stuff to Johnny and Hudler.  He's committed too many turnovers in the offensive zone and shouldn't be trusted in a top 6 role.

Backlund - pretty much been invisible.

Bennett - liked his game so far.  Hope he's okay from his injury.

Frolik - like his game as well.  Seems to lack finish but he's getting chances and generating a few chances per game.

Raymond - like his game too.  He was the Flames best player for the first few games but the lack of scoring plagues the whole team right now.

Bollig - largely ineffective.  Pretty useless thus far.  I get why he needs to be in the lineup for divisional games and games against big teams but he should be the first player to bit in the press box once we play the teams out East.

Bouma - was pretty ineffective prior to injury. Hope he's okay.

Jooris - makes me miss Paul Byron.

Jones - Jones is Jones.  Scores when he shouldnt and can't score when he's supposed to.  I like his board play and he's been okay so far.  Saw them trying Jones with Gaudreau and Monahan.  Anything is worth a try right now.

Stajan - has been mostly invisible.  Plays well in spurts with Jones.  Generates decent cycles but usually nothing comes of it.  He's obviously there for defense but he hasn't been lights out in that regard either.

The only difference I have from Peeps are:

Johnny is playing the best of our forwards.  He is trying to carry the line, because the line needs it.  He is doing the same things as last year, but the guys aren;t keeping up to him, so his passes look a shade off.  Yes he needs to shoot more.  He had that issue last season.  I was amazed to see him take a slapshot, and it was quite a good one.  HE NEEDS TO SHOW THAT A BIT MORE.

Russell is not playing well,  He is still a warrior, but he looks like he did when he first got here; telegraphed slides, too much space between him and the guy coming at him.  He seems incapable of carrying the puck past the blueline before he tries a shot along the boards.  He is basically taking a straight line out of the D-zone, so he doesn;t leave many options.

I don;t want to beat a dead horse, but please sit a vet or two.  Call up at least one more player.  Waive or trade a goalie and bring up another D-man.  Sit Russell or Hamilton for a game.  Sit Stajan or somebody.  

Give it a rest.  Was talking about how Kulak was deserving of play.  Brodie comes back in, who would you suggest sitting?

Automatically it has to be Kulak because he isn't a vet?  

Big Ern gets outplayed and sits.  Raymond gets outplayed and sits.  He outplays another player and gets back in.  Wideman gets outplayed and sits for a game.  Scratch whoever doesn't give you the best chance to win.  If it's Engelland or Russell or Kulak, then that is what you do.  

My suggested lineup works for most games.  Engelland works for others.

You think certain players are that much better, I just don't see it.

Agree that Kulak has played well and deserves to stay, plus the fact that Engelland is low man on the totem pole and the likely candidate to sit. At the same time he is needed against certain teams to add a tough, physical presence, especially now that Bouma is out. If the Flames decide to bring up Hathaway and play him he could probably provide that presence but until that happens I expect to see Engelland playing most games.

In the preseason both BH and BT made comments along the lines of the Playoff team deserves a shot to go forward (ie few changes), which has happened, but if the team continues to falter I'd expect changes and giving the best prospects a chance to earn a spot and push the vets out.

Engellend has played very well so far.  He's been mistake free and his intensity level is high.  He's played beyond what is usually asked of a bottom pair Dman.  Sure, still overpaid at his cap hit but he's been solid.  Can't complain.  He's not the reason we are losing.

Kulak has been shakey the first few games but has settled in very well.  He looks increasingly more confident out there and it's showing.  Only knock on him is that he's weak and easily knocked off balance.  He's weak along the boards and if he can't improve his strength, then he should be doing so in the AHL, not in the NHL.  I do agree when Brodie returns, Kulak sits/goes back to minors.

In terms of the other D,

Giordano - has been playing below average.  He played okay in the Jets game but hasn't looked Norris-like otherwise.  He looks hestitant and less confident.  He also looks physically weaker and slower.  Most of all, he looks like he's starving to score a goal to prove to himself that he's back to 100%.   In any event, he needs to pick it up a notch because where he goes, the Flames go.

Hamilton - He's a lot more unpolished than i thought.  Defensive break downs galore.  Misreads on occassion and simply getting overpowered in some situations.  He also doesn't hit as much as everybody would llke a big Dman to hit.  It's like Jay Bouwmeester v2.0 or something.  He's a great skater, good reach, good size, but at the end of the day, he's easy to get around.  At least his offensive upside looks higher than Bouwmeester.  I'm not writing him off but just noting my early thoughts.

Wideman - has played alright.  What he and Russell did in the playoffs was exceptional.  He's now back to being who he is and that's a second pair Dman.  As a vet, he's playing like he's saving gas for the second half of the season or something.  The intensity level isn't there.

Russell - overall, i think he's playing okay as well.  Russell simply isn't a top pair Dman and it's showing.  If you were expecting more, then that's a mistake.  He is what he is, a 4/5 guy.  I think he's pressing too hard offensively and asked to carry the puck up ice in Brodie's absense.  He needs to keep it simple.

OK, my take on the D:

Kulak has played very strong, quick, good positioning, smart outlet passes and occasionally picking his spots and jumping up into the rush. Perhaps not over strong on the boards, but at least he gets there and ties his man up. I've been impressed.

Engelland has been OK too, which overall is probably an improvement for him. Major problems are lack of quickness so losing guys going into, and out of the corners, and icing the puck his primary means of clearing the zone, resulting in way too many loooooong shifts. Strength in front of the net and standing up for his teammates a real plus.

Gio has been pretty good too, but I agree he doesn't mesh with Hamilton nearly as well as with Brodie. I believe is due to learning tendencies and perhaps communication. I'm not seeing any obvious problems in his game.

Hamilton has been up and down, perhaps a bit too much focus on rushing the puck up but overall quick, fast, great offensive instincts and good positioning. Perhaps more battle needed on the boards, and time to mesh with his partner, which is and will be an issue for a while until Brodie is back and the pairs are settled.

Russell has been tough on the puck and boards but often loses battles due to his size. He's also made some glaring errors but overall he has played OK, about the same as last year. I agree he is trying to skate the puck up more now with Brodie out.

Wideman has fluctuated the most of all the D, both to the positive and negative. Many times he's out of position or loses his man due to being relatively slow, but then he makes a smart, heads-up play with his stick, like overtime versus the Canucks.

Going forward I'd love to see Wideman, Smid and Russell replaced within the next year, and I'm hoping three of Kulak, Kylington, Nakladal, Hickey, Andersson and Morrison can seamlessly jump in, with Engelland the same assuming one of Sieloff or Kanzig can make the jump on D, or Hathaway, Carrol or ? Can do the same at a forward position.

Hamilton is like a lot of players on the team right now, trying to do too much. There is no doubt that the advertisements from Boston of his D Zone game stil needing work are true, but the biggest thing I've noticed with Hamilton is he free lances too much. All of a sudden sometimes in the neutral zone you'll see 4 red jerseys below the faceoff dot and one of them is Hamilton. I think Gio is struggling with it too because he'll be at his left point and then notice its only him back there and have to adjust. I think the Flames need Hamilton to just curb his enthusiasm a little bit becuae its led to more then more odd man rush the other way. Also making it tougher for Gio to find his game.

When Brodie comes out I think Kulak is the odd man out. He has played "OK" in my mind which is not indictment to him. For a rookie playing "ok" is a good thing but in the grand scheme of the D core if you are going to lose anyone for Brodie its Kulak. I'm not so sure that trading Russell at this point would be a positive move for the current version of the team, maybe for the future yes but for the present version I'm not so sure they would react well to having Russell traded so I dont' think I agree that is the move to make. Nothing wrong at all with Kulak spending some time in the AHL.

Engelland has been the Flames most consistent Dman this year so don't think for a second he is going anywhere anytime soon.

Engelland has been the Flames most consistent Dman this year so don't think for a second he is going anywhere anytime soon.

And regardless, Hartley seems to really, really like Engelland, so even if some of us as fans think that Kulak should stay and Engelland should sit when Brodie comes back, I think there's about a 0% chance it will happen.

I'm a bit mixed on Engelland. He has been doing some things well, and he has been solid/consistent overall this year... but he's just soooo slow and, as mentioned above, it leads to long shifts where he's hemmed in the zone or ices the puck. So far, his solid defense has prevented much from coming of that, but it was frequently a problem last year, and I think it could catch up to him again. He's also fairly weak at moving the puck up the ice.

Pick a night, only half the d core plays well. One night Wides is good the next he is horrible, same goes for Hamiton and Russell. Gio has been no screaming hell either. The most efficient has been the bottom pairing. Is Brodie missed yes but he isn't the savoir either. The Hamiton has not messed well with Gio.

Hamilton in Boston had Chara to lean on, here Gio and Hamilton are the same offensive minded, doesn't work. Frankly, when Brodes comes back I move one of Wides or Russell bring up Nakadal to play with Hamilton. A complimentary stay at home guy, but can still move the puck.

Pick a night, only half the d core plays well. One night Wides is good the next he is horrible, same goes for Hamiton and Russell. Gio has been no screaming hell either. The most efficient has been the bottom pairing. Is Brodie missed yes but he isn't the savoir either. The Hamiton has not messed well with Gio.

Hamilton in Boston had Chara to lean on, here Gio and Hamilton are the same offensive minded, doesn't work. Frankly, when Brodes comes back I move one of Wides or Russell bring up Nakadal to play with Hamilton. A complimentary stay at home guy, but can still move the puck.

It no longer matters who Hamilton had to lean on in Boston. He is here now and has the tools to be our #3 or better. He is still very young and needs time to integrate better into our system.

Brodies return may end up being the cog that we need. That would be, if he can come back in form and still have the same chemistry with Gio like last year. That scenario alone should bump up the abilities/quality of our lower defensive pairings with a domino effect.

This would give BH the ability to shelter Hamilton a tad more too.

Wideman and Russell are still a good 2nd pairing combo. They just have not quite played up to that level like last year when Gio was hurt. They are being asked to play some tough minutes lately and lots of tough minutes.

I have to disagree with the comments we need to get rid of Russell or Wides when Brodie returns. Both are playing as well or better than Nakadal was playing in preseason. I would like to see Nakadal up here, but he would not be the answer for 2nd pairing with Hamilton. Talk about putting a big burden on a rookie.

I haven't been able to watch all the games so far, but the games I have watched have been terrible.

Hamilton has been the worst player on the Flames in the games I have seen by a large margin. He is a really good skater especially at his size, and that is about the only nice thing I can say about him to this point. He is absolutely horrendous in his own end and he might be one of the softest players I have seen.

Wideman has come back to his normal self, and might actually be worse defensively.

This might actually be quicker if I just list the players who are actually playing well so far.

Gaudreau seems to have even more confidence this year and is showing it at both ends of the ice.

The End.

It no longer matters who Hamilton had to lean on in Boston. He is here now and has the tools to be our #3 or better. He is still very young and needs time to integrate better into our system.

Brodies return may end up being the cog that we need. That would be, if he can come back in form and still have the same chemistry with Gio like last year. That scenario alone should bump up the abilities/quality of our lower defensive pairings with a domino effect.

This would give BH the ability to shelter Hamilton a tad more too.

Wideman and Russell are still a good 2nd pairing combo. They just have not quite played up to that level like last year when Gio was hurt. They are being asked to play some tough minutes lately and lots of tough minutes.

I have to disagree with the comments we need to get rid of Russell or Wides when Brodie returns. Both are playing as well or better than Nakadal was playing in preseason. I would like to see Nakadal up here, but he would not be the answer for 2nd pairing with Hamilton. Talk about putting a big burden on a rookie.

Hamilton and Gio just don't seem to be in sync.  Something about the communication seems to be missing.  Gio and Brodie didn't need to talk, since they knew each other's moves.  Hamilton is 2nd guessing everything he would normally do on instinct.  He half commits to defensive plays.  He goes on offense, but bails too early some times and stays up when there is not enough back coverage.  I think he would benefit from some shelter.

Russell is not playing like a player you want to extend beyond this season.  It has nothing to do with Brodie.  Gio-Brodie is a natural fit, but are we going to play Russell with Hamilton?  Is that the right move?  Russell-Engelland may actually be something with promise.  Wideman could easily work with Hamilton.  You give them favorable starts/competition, and you get offense and allow Dougie to adjust to the Flames systems.  Right now, Kulak/Engelland are being sheltered, so Russell helps eliminate the need for the pair to be sheltered.  

Before we brought on Hamilton I was absolutely convinced that Giordano-Brodie had to stay together. When we picked him up I though Giordano-Hamilton had so much potential we had try it.

Consider it tried. Back to Giordano-Brodie and never look back.

I think a lot of us thought that Brodie would be better served moving to his "natural" side.  Balancing the pairs to LHS-RHS.  But the pairs were somewhat forced so we never got a chance to see Brodie-Hamilton.  Not really even in camp/pre-season.  We got the Brodie-Engelland pair a bit.  

Is Dougie going to be a great Flames D-man? Absolutely.  But he isn't a top pairing guy yet.  At least not on the Flames team or in the Flames structure.  Pairing him with Gio coming off an injury was a mistake.  

Brodie's return possibly next week will mark the end of the questions on the defense.  He will provide that stability to either Gio or to Hamilton - he is that good.  

I'm not usually one to jump on a team so early in the season, but could someone please tell me (or refresh my memory) why picking up Hamilton was a good idea?  Last night was probably his worst game so far this season, and I'm not talking about sync-ing with Gio or anything like that.  Didn't take his man in front of the net, leading to a goal.  Out of position on a lot of plays, and simply dumping the puck to nobody on that late rush that looked like it had promise but ends up directly leading to another Washington goal.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing what everyone else appears to have seen in him to make him "quite the catch" for the team.

Well does any one see any sign of a positive out there? Looks like the kool aid in Edm has now made its way to Calgary.

Grades:

Goal tending F,Top 4 Dman F, Bottom Pairing C,Top Line C,2nd Line F, 3rd Line C,4th Line F,Coaching D.

Hard to see how this club made it to the 2nd round last year. It is extremely hard to watch these games, as I hate dysfunctional hockey.

Solutions:

Hamilton

I was for the experiment of Ham- Gio, it needs to end. I think everyone coach's, GM were sold that Ham was or is better than he has played. I see a very green hockey player that has makes junior level mistakes. Demote him to the 3rd pairing. He was given elite 1st pairing without earning it. You can see the look of disgust on GIO's face when Oshie got his goal, very soft player by a 6'4 player. Brodie will make a difference as last nights game showed Gio played his style with Wideman.

Ortio

Is he the answer hell no but enough is enough, Waive Hiller and get on with it. If Ortio is part of this club's future start him and quit pissing around. Ramo, lets in a soft goal last night, however would not have if there was not a junior level mistake in front of him.

Shack up

Our 2nd and 3rd lines have been horrible. Backlund for one is awful this year, Ferland, Jorris, Bennett are not producing. Once you move a goalie time to sit someone. We also should look at moving some guys out. We are still in a rebuild time to get a good 2nd/3rd line guy and move on from the lackluster of poor starts. Nothing like a Wideman, Russell, Backlund trade to make a statement. 

Well does any one see any sign of a positive out there? Looks like the kool aid in Edm has now made its way to Calgary.

Grades:

Goal tending F,Top 4 Dman F, Bottom Pairing C,Top Line C,2nd Line F, 3rd Line C,4th Line F,Coaching D.

Hard to see how this club made it to the 2nd round last year. It is extremely hard to watch these games, as I hate dysfunctional hockey.

Solutions:

Hamilton

I was for the experiment of Ham- Gio, it needs to end. I think everyone coach's, GM were sold that Ham was or is better than he has played. I see a very green hockey player that has makes junior level mistakes. Demote him to the 3rd pairing. He was given elite 1st pairing without earning it. You can see the look of disgust on GIO's face when Oshie got his goal, very soft player by a 6'4 player. Brodie will make a difference as last nights game showed Gio played his style with Wideman.

Ortio

Is he the answer hell no but enough is enough, Waive Hiller and get on with it. If Ortio is part of this club's future start him and quit pissing around. Ramo, lets in a soft goal last night, however would not have if there was not a junior level mistake in front of him.

Shack up

Our 2nd and 3rd lines have been horrible. Backlund for one is awful this year, Ferland, Jorris, Bennett are not producing. Once you move a goalie time to sit someone. We also should look at moving some guys out. We are still in a rebuild time to get a good 2nd/3rd line guy and move on from the lackluster of poor starts. Nothing like a Wideman, Russell, Backlund trade to make a statement. 

Nice rant

Wideman has committed a lot of mistakes that led directly to goals. He even tipped in a goal in the 1st game against Vancouver but it's with Hamilton I'm most frustrated with, he had a free lane to shoot last night and what does he do? He holds on to the puck long enough so that the Cap's D got a stick in and created a turnover that led to a good scoring chance. Then on D he is soft and a lot of glaring mistakes. Outshot 24-13 (not sure) but the reason is they are always looking to pass first. The Flames are always outshot by the opposition every game.

SHOOT the puck.

Grades:

Solutions:

Hamilton

Ortio

Shack up

Being a little hard on the first line.  They have accounted for basically all but Jones' and a couple of defense goals this season.

Switching Frolik to the 1st line is a good idea, but let the chemistry build.   

Backlund is making Bennett look bad, since he is playing like crap.

I would add two ratings to your list: PK and PP

PP has looked like a tire fire.  Too many set plays that aren't working.  Stretch pass?  Use it like salt - too much is a bad thing. Maybe try winning a few offensive zone face-offs. Stop always using the dump in on a zone entry.

PK has been at least one bright spot.  We generally get either scored on early on, or after the PK is over.

Being a little hard on the first line. They have accounted for basically all but Jones' and a couple of defense goals this season.

PP has looked like a tire fire. Too many set plays that aren't working. Stretch pass? Use it like salt - too much is a bad thing. Maybe try winning a few offensive zone face-offs. Stop always using the dump in on a zone entry.

PK has been at least one bright spot. We generally get either scored on early on, or after the PK is over.

Outside of Gaudreau no one on the first line has been all that good. I wouldn't say they have been bad but they aren't playing to their capabilities. Monahan only has 9 shots through 6 games, that just simply isn't good enough for your teams top goal scorer, not to mention that I took him in my hockey pool and shots count for points in the pool.

Being a little hard on the first line.  They have accounted for basically all but Jones' and a couple of defense goals this season.

PP has looked like a tire fire.  Too many set plays that aren't working.  Stretch pass?  Use it like salt - too much is a bad thing. Maybe try winning a few offensive zone face-offs. Stop always using the dump in on a zone entry.

PK has been at least one bright spot.  We generally get either scored on early on, or after the PK is over.

All good points and the main things you have pointed out lead to the very lack of puck possession, a part of our game that was to be a priority this year. Maybe DET will provide a lesson or 5 in this area.

Archived