Early Player Review

kehatch

My very early take of the Flames roster in the first three games. 

Terrific

• Gaudreau: He is better then he was at his best a year ago.  One of the best players in the NHL this season.  Crazy good.  
  • Hudler: Unbelievable chemistry on the top line.  Generating a lot of offense.  
  • Monahan: Does it all.  Not as flashy as his line mates, but he anchors the line (in a good way).  

Decent

• Bennett: The points aren't there yet, but he is playing well.  If he keeps out chancing the opposition like he is the points will come.  
  • Frolik: He was rewarded with a couple of points tonight.  He is as advertised.  Good possession player but not flashy.  
  • Engelland: I am far from an Engelland fan.  But he has been very good on the third pairing with Kulak.  They seem to have good chemistry.  
  • Raymond: Progressed from a healthy scratch to one of our best forwards not on the top line.  He is working his tail off and generating a lot of chances.  
  • Wideman: He had a rough start and he has given up a lot defensively.  But he has also been very good offensively the last two games.  
  • Kulak: He has been sheltered.  But he has been very good as a third pairing D.  Its going to leave the coach with some tough decisions when Brodie is back.  

Disappointing

• Bouma: He is playing like a fourth line energy player.  Contract aside, we need more.  
  • Giordano: The captain has been getting better every game.  Given his end of season injury and new partner I give him a bit of a pass.  But he hasn't been himself so far.  
  • Hamilton: You can see the skill and potential.  But he is giving up more chances then he is generating.  Hopefully we can get him away from Giordano when Brodie gets back and put him in an easier situation.   
  • Jooris: Tough to get a read on him.  His only game was our opener where everyone melted down.  Sitting the bench though, so that doesn't speak for him.  
  • Stajan: He has had some tough assignments.  He hasn't kept his head above water consistently. But he hasn't drowned either.  
  • Jones: Unfortunately his really good preseason hasn't translated to the regular season.  But he is good in flashes and he scored a goal tonight. 
  • Ferland: He is playing physical.  But he hasn't done much to show he is more then an energy player thus far.  Give him time though.  
  • Hiller: Some weak goals in game number 2.  Though he was strong in game 1.  
  • Ramo: Tough to blame him for the loss given how bad the team in front of him was in his only start.  He let in some softies though.  

Terrible

• Backlund: He is playing without urgency and has done nothing to force the coaches to move him up the line up.  
  • Russell: I don't get the coaches love affair with Russell.  He is a team worse SAT Close.  He has no points, virtually no shots, he is missing his break out passes, making poor decisions, etc. 
  • Bollig: Another one I don't understand the coaches love affair with.  He has spend most of his time in the defensive zone and he clearly isn't comfortable there.  

All in all, we have too many players listed as disappointments (or worse).  We need better goaltending, our top defensive pairing to figure things out, and the secondary scoring to pick it up.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all of those except Wideman. I'd put him in the disappointing category as well. 

Outside the top line, nothing is really working as it should be and that's scary. Especially when Engellend and Kulak manage to look like your best defensive pair. 

At this point I'd start to consider splitting up Gio and Hamilton if they keep playing as poorly as they have been. Hopefully Brodie is back soon because it seems that he and Gio really play off each other in a way Hamilton isn't matching (not to say he isn't good it just isnt good chemistry. 

Frolick seems to be adjusting and coming into his own. Showed tonight why we brought him into the top 6. Bennett has promise. And Raymond has actually looked like he might earn half his salary this year. Maybe we have a second line coming together? Maybe not. 

But the bottom 6 right now is a mess. 

Bouma and Backlund especially are supposed to anchor the shutdown role for the team and have been horrendous. 

Backlund has definitely been the biggest disappointment for me. And I say that as a big fan of his. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do this season, for once coming into the season healthy with no wacky injuries. It's still early, of course, and one good game could turn it all around, but yeah... not good so far.

Normally I think of Backlund pretty much like what we have seen from Frolik this season. Not flashy, but super reliable in terms of his defensive game, effort level, and puck pursuit. The one thing you never expect him to be is a liability, but here we are. And with his level of offensive output, he really can't afford to be a liability -- unlike a guy like Wideman, say, who can make up for it by chipping in consistently on offense.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with all of Kehatch's assessments, though I would probably downgrade Wideman a notch (I expect him to be A LITTLE better defensively if he's going to be playing in the top 4) and upgrade Hiller.

Brodie can't come back soon enough.

I am with the majority, with a few personal interjections:

Good

Wideman- Has been better this year.

Englenad/Kulak- Have not been a liability.

Average

Ferland, Bennett, Hamilton, Gio, Frolick- Here are guys that should be in the good category but their play is average at best.

Poor.

Russell, Backlund- Really disappointed in both right now well below par for these guys

Goal tending- Not blaming them but they have to be better. We won a lot of games last season because of them.

Bolig/Bouma- Both have been huge disappointments.

Last season the coach benched Johnny and it worked out pretty well for him. This season Raymond was put on waivers and is playing way better after. Maybe scratch Backlund and Russell? I'd also include Bouma but I think he got injured last night against St.Louis.

Give the young ones a chance and also get Jooris back playing.

Always earned never given was the motto last year, did this change in the off season?

My very early take of the Flames roster in the first three games. 

Terrific

• Gaudreau: He is better then he was at his best a year ago.  One of the best players in the NHL this season.  Crazy good.  
  • Hudler: Unbelievable chemistry on the top line.  Generating a lot of offense.  
  • Monahan: Does it all.  Not as flashy as his line mates, but he anchors the line (in a good way).  

Decent

• Bennett: The points aren't there yet, but he is playing well.  If he keeps out chancing the opposition like he is the points will come.  
  • Frolik: He was rewarded with a couple of points tonight.  He is as advertised.  Good possession player but not flashy.  
  • Engelland: I am far from an Engelland fan.  But he has been very good on the third pairing with Kulak.  They seem to have good chemistry.  
  • Raymond: Progressed from a healthy scratch to one of our best forwards not on the top line.  He is working his tail off and generating a lot of chances.  
  • Wideman: He had a rough start and he has given up a lot defensively.  But he has also been very good offensively the last two games.  
  • Kulak: He has been sheltered.  But he has been very good as a third pairing D.  Its going to leave the coach with some tough decisions when Brodie is back.  

Disappointing

• Bouma: He is playing like a fourth line energy player.  Contract aside, we need more.  
  • Giordano: The captain has been getting better every game.  Given his end of season injury and new partner I give him a bit of a pass.  But he hasn't been himself so far.  
  • Hamilton: You can see the skill and potential.  But he is giving up more chances then he is generating.  Hopefully we can get him away from Giordano when Brodie gets back and put him in an easier situation.   
  • Jooris: Tough to get a read on him.  His only game was our opener where everyone melted down.  Sitting the bench though, so that doesn't speak for him.  
  • Stajan: He has had some tough assignments.  He hasn't kept his head above water consistently. But he hasn't drowned either.  
  • Jones: Unfortunately his really good preseason hasn't translated to the regular season.  But he is good in flashes and he scored a goal tonight. 
  • Ferland: He is playing physical.  But he hasn't done much to show he is more then an energy player thus far.  Give him time though.  
  • Hiller: Some weak goals in game number 2.  Though he was strong in game 1.  
  • Ramo: Tough to blame him for the loss given how bad the team in front of him was in his only start.  He let in some softies though.  

Terrible

• Backlund: He is playing without urgency and has done nothing to force the coaches to move him up the line up.  
  • Russell: I don't get the coaches love affair with Russell.  He is a team worse SAT Close.  He has no points, virtually no shots, he is missing his break out passes, making poor decisions, etc. 
  • Bollig: Another one I don't understand the coaches love affair with.  He has spend most of his time in the defensive zone and he clearly isn't comfortable there.  

All in all, we have too many players listed as disappointments (or worse).  We need better goaltending, our top defensive pairing to figure things out, and the secondary scoring to pick it up.  

Agreed with the top line rating.  They are a dominant line no matter who they play against.  Johnny's progression from last year is nothing short of amazing.  You think he is going to be about the same as last year, but he is already looking like a seasoned vet.

If the team finished on every chance that started with a Johnny play, we would have 5-0 leads.

The Backlund/Bollig/Russell issue has been more a liability than just bad.  Russell is pretty good sometimes when carrying in the puck, but his passes are low probability of success passes up the boards into a thicket of players.  Bollig is a liability to his line.

Backlund is struggling in the faceoff dot and making less-than-smart plays.  He is doing some good work without the puck, but that's about it.

Wideman is being dragged down a little by Russell.  His defensive play is not stellar, but he is making low risk plays.

Engelland/Kulak is the only usage of Engelland that has ever worked.  It is actually a bit better than Bordie/Engelland, but that may be more kudos to Engelland than a knock on Brodie.  Engelland is still too slow, but Kulak fills in quite fine.  Kulak is now Bordie-lite.

I would say Ferland is doing all the right things, but his skill isn't showing through right now, likely due to assignment/linemates.  If Raymond wasn't performing, then I would switch him there.  Jorris is an impact player, but not being used.  He had a decent but not spectacular pre-season.

With Bouma's injury, I would suggest that they bring up Granlund.  He is defensively smart, and can provide some needed offense.

Agreed with the top line rating. They are a dominant line no matter who they play against. Johnny's progression from last year is nothing short of amazing. You think he is going to be about the same as last year, but he is already looking like a seasoned vet.

If the team finished on every chance that started with a Johnny play, we would have 5-0 leads.

The Backlund/Bollig/Russell issue has been more a liability than just bad. Russell is pretty good sometimes when carrying in the puck, but his passes are low probability of success passes up the boards into a thicket of players. Bollig is a liability to his line.

Backlund is struggling in the faceoff dot and making less-than-smart plays. He is doing some good work without the puck, but that's about it.

Wideman is being dragged down a little by Russell. His defensive play is not stellar, but he is making low risk plays.

Engelland/Kulak is the only usage of Engelland that has ever worked. It is actually a bit better than Bordie/Engelland, but that may be more kudos to Engelland than a knock on Brodie. Engelland is still too slow, but Kulak fills in quite fine. Kulak is now Bordie-lite.

I would say Ferland is doing all the right things, but his skill isn't showing through right now, likely due to assignment/linemates. If Raymond wasn't performing, then I would switch him there. Jorris is an impact player, but not being used. He had a decent but not spectacular pre-season.

With Bouma's injury, I would suggest that they bring up Granlund. He is defensively smart, and can provide some needed offense.

Engelland was seeing tough minutes when he was paired with Brodie. Now he is getting the sheltered minutes.

Wayyy to early to be making judgements or reviews on the players.

There are new players to the team, and the lines have to get used to the new players, the systems and each to other.

The only line from last season still intact is the JH - Mony - Huds line and there has been no problem this year with them at all. The other lines you have to give them time to adjust to the new linemates, players etc.

The D is without Brodie. I expect the choices and level of their play will increase significantly when he returns.

Goaltending needs to pick it up a notch.

Wayyy to early to be making judgements or reviews on the players.

There are new players to the team, and the lines have to get used to the new players, the systems and each to other.

The only line from last season still intact is the JH - Mony - Huds line and there has been no problem this year with them at all. The other lines you have to give them time to adjust to the new linemates, players etc.

The D is without Brodie. I expect the choices and level of their play will increase significantly when he returns.

Goaltending needs to pick it up a notch.

Way to early but someone was bored.

Way to early but someone was bored.

3 games is about the right amount of time to do a 3 game review ;)

I agree it's too early to make conclusions about any of the players. But I find player progression across the season interesting.

I plan in doing one of these periodically throughout the season to see how the guys look all season. (At least to my eye.)

Wideman is being dragged down a little by Russell.  His defensive play is not stellar, but he is making low risk plays.

I'd say it's the other way around.  Wideman is a liability in his own zone and Russell has to constantly cover for him.  Wideman is good in the offensive zone and that is all.  He should be in the 5/6 pairing with PP time.  I think we would see more offense out of Russell if he was paired with someone else.

I'd say it's the other way around.  Wideman is a liability in his own zone and Russell has to constantly cover for him.  Wideman is good in the offensive zone and that is all.  He should be in the 5/6 pairing with PP time.  I think we would see more offense out of Russell if he was paired with someone else.

Wideman needs to play with Giordano, someone way better than Russell and more responsible. He is terrible defensively, we have all known this and BH needs to address it. Maybe they will switch things up when Brodie gets back and put him with Hamilton.

3 games is about the right amount of time to do a 3 game review ;)

I agree it's too early to make conclusions about any of the players. But I find player progression across the season interesting.

I plan in doing one of these periodically throughout the season to see how the guys look all season. (At least to my eye.)

Knock yourself out.

Wideman needs to play with Giordano, someone way better than Russell and more responsible. He is terrible defensively, we have all known this and BH needs to address it. Maybe they will switch things up when Brodie gets back and put him with Hamilton.

Wideman need a offensive starts against the right competition. He won't get that with Giordano.

Right now I would throw shooting hand out the window and out Brodie and Giordano back together leaving some combination of Hamilton, Engelland, Wideman, and Russell. Probably:

Giordano-Brodie

Hamilton-Wideman

Russell-Engelland

Wideman need a offensive starts against the right competition. He won't get that with Giordano.

Right now I would throw shooting hand out the window and out Brodie and Giordano back together leaving some combination of Hamilton, Engelland, Wideman, and Russell. Probably:

Giordano-Brodie

Hamilton-Wideman

Russell-Engelland

This may sound funny, but when Brodie comes back, it might makes sense to play Kulak with Wideman on the 3rd pair.

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Hamilton

Kulak-Wideman

You could split the ice times more or less evenly between the 2nd and 3rd pairings.  Kulak is defensive enough to pair with Wideman.

Russell and Hamilton sounds good on paper; tough, smaller player with offensive puck mover.  Gio-Brodie needs no explanation. Kulak has earned some extended time here, and subbing out Engelland makes the most sense.

This may sound funny, but when Brodie comes back, it might makes sense to play Kulak with Wideman on the 3rd pair.

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Hamilton

Kulak-Wideman

You could split the ice times more or less evenly between the 2nd and 3rd pairings.  Kulak is defensive enough to pair with Wideman.

Russell and Hamilton sounds good on paper; tough, smaller player with offensive puck mover.  Gio-Brodie needs no explanation. Kulak has earned some extended time here, and subbing out Engelland makes the most sense.

You definite adopt a pattern when you take a dislike to certain players. Coaches will very rarely treat veterans the way you prescribe.

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Hamilton

Kulak-Wideman

Engelland is here to stay. They spent all preseason trying to find him a partner. He performed last spring, and he has been okay this season. He brings a toughness the Flames feel we should have in the lineup.

Engelland is here to stay even when Brodie returns.

You definite adopt a pattern when you take a dislike to certain players. Coaches will very rarely treat veterans the way you prescribe.

Give it a rest.  Was talking about how Kulak was deserving of play.  Brodie comes back in, who would you suggest sitting?

Automatically it has to be Kulak because he isn't a vet?  

Big Ern gets outplayed and sits.  Raymond gets outplayed and sits.  He outplays another player and gets back in.  Wideman gets outplayed and sits for a game.  Scratch whoever doesn't give you the best chance to win.  If it's Engelland or Russell or Kulak, then that is what you do.  

My suggested lineup works for most games.  Engelland works for others.

You think certain players are that much better, I just don't see it.

Archived