Dougie signed, Oliver coming to Canada

What a day we sign Dougie and Wheaties pick Oliver 60th over all is that kismet or what hopefully we can get his contract voided in Sweden I hope they will play far with us although they don't have to I think Oliver being able to be developed here will sway frad to let go Here is a

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773022&navid=nhl:topheads

This is a much better deal than I had thought I hope Gio isn't to much higher than that but 6 yrs 5.75 a yr looks pretty good right now I hope Dougie is worthy of the raise and keeps up the hard and productive play.   

I hope yr right I'm sure some one on this forum knows this stuff better than I acutualy most on flames forum know this stuff better than I this might get locked or something but was excited probably should have gone on the Dougie post. If so go ahead and boot it

He has 2 years left on his contract with AIK. The NHL has a transfer agreement which means if the Flames wanted to they could get him out of the contract to play for the Flames (unlikely) or in the AHL (more likely). I personally think there is zero chance he comes over to play in the CHL, the guy is playing pro now, hes not going to take a massive pay cut like that. 

If he has the option to play for Barrie Brandon and Calgary advises him to do so I think you will see him suit up for sure, this kid needs to look past today and see whats best for his development, not the measly payday from the Swedish league. He was slated as a top 5 pick, he has all the potential to sill reach that ceiling, if he keeps his ears open  and listens to the flames development plan. However I can see things going sideways for him pretty quickly if doesn't check his ego at the door, put his head down and go to work. 

Hes a very intriguing prospect, Ill be watching closely to see where he ends up in the next couple months.

If he has the option to play for Barrie and Calgary advises him to do so I think you will see him suit up for sure, this kid needs to look past today and see whats best for his development, not the measly payday from the Swedish league. He was slated as a top 5 pick, he has all the potential to sill reach that ceiling, if he keeps his ears open  and listens to the flames development plan. However I can see things going sideways for him pretty quickly if doesn't check his ego at the door, put his head down and go to work. 

Hes a very intriguing prospect, Ill be watching closely to see where he ends up in the next couple months.

He played in 3 leagues, so there may be some concern by the Flames management that his development in Sweden could ruin him.

I think there mat be a huge benefit to bringing over him, Mattson and Andersson and begin their NA pro careers.

I think there mat be a huge benefit to bringing over him, Mattson and Andersson and begin their NA pro careers.

Andersson played in NA this past year (his first year in NA though). Put up just under point per game as D in Barrie

If he has the option to play for Barrie Brandon and Calgary advises him to do so I think you will see him suit up for sure, this kid needs to look past today and see whats best for his development, not the measly payday from the Swedish league. He was slated as a top 5 pick, he has all the potential to sill reach that ceiling, if he keeps his ears open  and listens to the flames development plan. However I can see things going sideways for him pretty quickly if doesn't check his ego at the door, put his head down and go to work. 

Doubtful the Flames do that. If they want him over here they will send him to the AHL. There is no benefit in him playing in the CHL over Sweden. 

Doubtful the Flames do that. If they want him over here they will send him to the AHL. There is no benefit in him playing in the CHL over Sweden. 

For the player I agree.  Why would the player do that?  He gets paid to play in Sweden or the AHL.  He plays for free (basically) in the CHL.  For the team I agree less.  The CHL is a development league.  Even small things like billeting with a family would have some benefit in development.  

the status of Oliver Kylington remains somewhat up in the air. Kylington, a second-round draft pick from Sweden, does have a contract with club team AIK, but Treliving said the Flames are still investigating whether it has an out clause that can be activated prior to the coming season.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/11/brad-treliving-at-the-calgary-flames-and-have-some-decisions-to-make

For the player I agree.  Why would the player do that?  He gets paid to play in Sweden or the AHL.  He plays for free (basically) in the CHL.  For the team I agree less.  The CHL is a development league.  Even small things like billeting with a family would have some benefit in development.  

He would develop just as much or better playing against men in Sweden vs 16-18 year olds in the CHL. Also I highly doubt the Flames pay the compensation to get him to come over here and have just as little say in his use in the CHL. If the Flames can get him out of his contract and if he even wants out of his contract I am very confident he will want nothing to do with the CHL. The CHL is not a development league, the CHL a junior sports league. The AHL is a development league, Allsvenskan is a development league. The only real benefit over the Heat compared to Allsvenskan is that the Flames have direct control over his development and usage. 

He would develop just as much or better playing against men in Sweden vs 16-18 year olds in the CHL. Also I highly doubt the Flames pay the compensation to get him to come over here and have just as little say in his use in the CHL. If the Flames can get him out of his contract and if he even wants out of his contract I am very confident he will want nothing to do with the CHL. The CHL is not a development league, the CHL a junior sports league. The AHL is a development league, Allsvenskan is a development league. The only real benefit over the Heat compared to Allsvenskan is that the Flames have direct control over his development and usage. 

Ummm, what? of course the CHL is a development league. That's why we send 90% of Canadian born players play there at the ripe age of 17. So they can "develop" there game further along and one day reach the NHL. IMO its the most important of all development leagues, including the AHL!

With that said, I don't really see any problem with leaving Oliver in Sweden, These Swedish and Finish kids come over prepared and well coached, they have a strong affinity with the NHL and take little time to adjust. Its the Russians and Checz I want to see come to NA and start early.

I do want to see Oliver stick with one club for the season, if anything I would say stability or lack there of was his biggest hurdle. Knowing where you stand and where your going to play goes along way in making sure these young people reach there ceiling.  

Ummm, what? of course the CHL is a development league. That's why we send 90% of Canadian born players play there at the ripe age of 17. So they can "develop" there game further along and one day reach the NHL. IMO its the most important of all development leagues, including the AHL!

The CHL is not a development league. The CHL is a junior sports league. I dont see things like strength and conditioning coaches, goalie coaches, video coaches, skating coaches, nutritionists, etc in the CHL. The CHL is just the next step for kids to play hockey. Yes development obviously happens there but its not close to something like the AHL. Will he improve playing in the CHL? Yes to some extent. But it wont be the same improvement compared to the AHL or Sweden. In the CHL he could and will use his exceptional skating to lessen the impact of his poor defensive play. Hes used to playing against men, playing against 16-18 year olds is not going to force him to work on his positional game. Playing more and more against men who are strong and in shape will make him have to play positionally and will marginalize his speed to some extent. 

The CHL is not a development league. The CHL is a junior sports league. I dont see things like strength and conditioning coaches, goalie coaches, video coaches, skating coaches, nutritionists, etc in the CHL. The CHL is just the next step for kids to play hockey. Yes development obviously happens there but its not close to something like the AHL. Will he improve playing in the CHL? Yes to some extent. But it wont be the same improvement compared to the AHL or Sweden. In the CHL he could and will use his exceptional skating to lessen the impact of his poor defensive play. Hes used to playing against men, playing against 16-18 year olds is not going to force him to work on his positional game. Playing more and more against men who are strong and in shape will make him have to play positionally and will marginalize his speed to some extent.

The CHL is a development league. By their own admission. There is a huge focus on development. Yes it is also a competitive hockey league with a focus on winning games. And yes, the Flames don't maintain full control over the player. But it is a league that puts forward a lot of effort and resources to be one of the best youth development leagues in the world.

He will develop the same as any other 18 year old in the CHL. Much better then in Sweden where he may see limited ice time and where the Flames have limited access to him to help his development.

The AHL is an option. But only if he is ready. Getting limited ice time playing over his head in the AHL isn't the best thing for him either.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=69991

It does sound like if he doesn't make the Flames out of camp, then he is going back to Sweden.

It still up in the air.  The Flames are supposedly discussing things with AIK.  The thing I can't really figure out is if he plays 9 or less games with the Flames, can he be assigned to the Heat?  Or if they burn a year >9 games), can they do it?

I think that they can offer to buy out his contract with AIK, and do with him what they want.

I am ok with him staying over there this year.  Loob apparently believes he should come to NA ASAP, though.

It still up in the air.  The Flames are supposedly discussing things with AIK.  The thing I can't really figure out is if he plays 9 or less games with the Flames, can he be assigned to the Heat?  Or if they burn a year >9 games), can they do it?

I think that they can offer to buy out his contract with AIK, and do with him what they want.

I am ok with him staying over there this year.  Loob apparently believes he should come to NA ASAP, though.

They have to offer Kylington back to his Sweden team. But if you read between the lines, the Flames might have some sway to keep that team from taking their option.

I'm wondering if his contract status was a partial cause for his dropping down the draft charts.  Teams didn't want to deal with it.

Archived