Dougie signed, Oliver coming to Canada

I have always thought the CHL and WHL OHL and The Q were all stepping stones into the future this is were NHL teams decide weather they are capable future players. Playing with men in the Swedish league does not prepare him for hard hitting north American Hockey I don't think these other teams  CHL play North American hard hitting mean to the Bone hockey. I can't see it hurting him to learn how to take a massive hit from a angry Kid with something to prove. But if this signing means AHL then so Be it . Hope he can be the player he was thought to be at the middle of the yr scouting.  

I have always thought the CHL and WHL OHL and The Q were all stepping stones into the future this is were NHL teams decide weather they are capable future players. Playing with men in the Swedish league does not prepare him for hard hitting north American Hockey I don't think these other teams  CHL play North American hard hitting mean to the Bone hockey. I can't see it hurting him to learn how to take a massive hit from a angry Kid with something to prove. But if this signing means AHL then so Be it . Hope he can be the player he was thought to be at the middle of the yr scouting.  

Are you really trying to say that you think swedish hockey doesnt hit anymore? or the hits are less then in major junior? Most European leagues play a pretty similar game to North America now, the only difference being the big ice.

The CHL is not a development league. The CHL is a junior sports league. I dont see things like strength and conditioning coaches, goalie coaches, video coaches, skating coaches, nutritionists, etc in the CHL. The CHL is just the next step for kids to play hockey. Yes development obviously happens there but its not close to something like the AHL. Will he improve playing in the CHL? Yes to some extent. But it wont be the same improvement compared to the AHL or Sweden. In the CHL he could and will use his exceptional skating to lessen the impact of his poor defensive play. Hes used to playing against men, playing against 16-18 year olds is not going to force him to work on his positional game. Playing more and more against men who are strong and in shape will make him have to play positionally and will marginalize his speed to some extent. 

The Calgary Hitmen coaching and training staff... 

not to mention the countless other people who give there time and energy to helping these kids reach there dream of playing in the NHL. I think its a huge disservice to everyone involved to say this isnt a development league. I work at the Sadddledome and see the effort put forth on a daily basis. 

Mark French

Head Coach

Joel Otto

Assistant Coach

Sean Hope-Ross

Strength and Conditioning Coach

Troy Norcross

Video Coach

Jeff Hansen

Video Coach

Will McMillan

Athletic Therapist

Jason Monnery

Assistant Trainer

Yes Alberta boy I don't think they play our style of hockey at all they might bump you off the puck but in north American hockey or should I say Canadian hockey it is a hitting Game that is how the kids are trained to play from mighty might's on first you leearn to skate then shoot then play hockey Canada's way. That is what I have seen growing up here in Canada I will Admit I do have no Idea how there pros play in Europe I do think they are more of a speed game not so much a mussel game. But I have been wrong Before I'm pretty sure any way .  

He will develop the same as any other 18 year old in the CHL. Much better then in Sweden where he may see limited ice time and where the Flames have limited access to him to help his development.

How do you know he will see limited icetime in Sweden? Ands not going to develop his defensive game in the CHL. 

How do you know he will see limited icetime in Sweden? Ands not going to develop his defensive game in the CHL.

I don't know of with certainty. I am also not dead against him going back, I was commenting about the CHL not bring a development league or being a worse option. What I do know is that the CHL is a development league that develops a majority of NHL players successfully. I know that a pro league is focused on winning and teenagers consistently struggle to get ice time playing pro.

The odds are significantly higher he is going to see more ice time in the CHL then Sweden. In the CHL he will always be one of the most talent dman on any roster and that's not the case in Sweden. And in terms of his defensive game he would be playing for Macrimmond so there is not option to not develop a defensive game.

The main reason I want him in the CHL is he would play for one team and one team only. There is always a fear with pro leagues in Europe that they send you down or move you around like what happened to Oliver last year. I'd prefer him not have to worry about that. Having said that it's far more likely he'll play in Sweden next year. Not the end of the world just not ideal IMO.

I'd like to see Kylington play in the WHL for all the same reasons that Cross16 mentioned, *and* we get more viewing opportunities than we would if he plays in Sweden.  Also, I think playing in the CHL gives us a better barometer of what kind of player we've got.

Complete change of subject...  Does anyone have a sense of what the injury was that kept him out of the WJC?  Someone made a comment on one of the articles about him; they said he'd already sustained a "major injury".  I've tried to determine what the injury was, but there's precious little information.  I can't imagine that it was too severe though, as he still managed to play in 71 games last season.   

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Millions (@RogMillions) tweeted at 9:48 AM on Wed, Jul 29, 2015:

AIK Sweden via Expressen paper will allow Oliver Kylington to come to NA to play next season. Be it #Flames , Stockton AHL or Brandon WHL

Just read the same thing on FN.  All I can say is "Yippee".  The guys in Europe seem so distant, and we never seem to have any real idea of what level they are at (see Rafikov, Mattsson).  No point in rushing the kid, but he may already be ahead of some of our D prospects, having been playing against men already. 

We have quite a few D-men ruminating in the AHL right now, in the NCAA, some soon to join, plus the Europe guys.

Spoon

Morrison

Nakladal

Culkin

Seiloff

Kulak

Hickey

Gilmour

Mattsson

Rafikov

Stevenson (AHL deal)

Plus 2015 picks - Andersson, Kylington, Bruce

My guess is he'll be in Brandon.  He's played against men, granted, but development wise, it'd be good for him to play with peers his age and produce a stellar season points wise.  If Provorov plays there as well, it'll be good to play alongside a good top pick. 

Mcrimmon will whip him into shape too.  None of this "coach killer" stuff.

My guess is he'll be in Brandon.  He's played against men, granted, but development wise, it'd be good for him to play with peers his age and produce a stellar season points wise.  If Provorov plays there as well, it'll be good to play alongside a good top pick. 

Mcrimmon will whip him into shape too.  None of this "coach killer" stuff.

My guess is that Provorov will play in the NHL this season.  It makes more room for Killer to play more minutes, but Stocton gives the Flames 100% control of his usage and development.

My guess is that Provorov will play in the NHL this season. It makes more room for Killer to play more minutes, but Stocton gives the Flames 100% control of his usage and development.

Stockton is supposed to be "Earned, Never Given." Sometimes i wonder if that is how it should be, but you cant just give them the ice time without earning it. I guess you just expect a certain amount of compete out of players?

Stockton is supposed to be "Earned, Never Given." Sometimes i wonder if that is how it should be, but you cant just give them the ice time without earning it. I guess you just expect a certain amount of compete out of players?

I don't believe that I ever said he would be gifted the spot in Stockton.  My guess is that he impresses in the Flames TC, and gets assigned to the Heat.  It's a bit crowded there, so you likely see Kanzig start in the ECHL, assuming that none of the top prospects make the jump to the Flames (Spoon, Nakladal, Morrison, Culkin).   

I don't believe that I ever said he would be gifted the spot in Stockton. My guess is that he impresses in the Flames TC, and gets assigned to the Heat. It's a bit crowded there, so you likely see Kanzig start in the ECHL, assuming that none of the top prospects make the jump to the Flames (Spoon, Nakladal, Morrison, Culkin).

I was just thinking out loud as your comment got the marbles rolling. I would like to see Kylington play big minutes. If he can earn it in the AHL, awesome. But they can always do what they did with Ferland, a quarter way through the season and send him to Junior, not that that is what we are going for here, to bounce him around.

Roger Millions (@RogMillions) tweeted at 9:48 AM on Wed, Jul 29, 2015:

AIK Sweden via Expressen paper will allow Oliver Kylington to come to NA to play next season. Be it #Flames , Stockton AHL or Brandon WHL

This fantastic news, cant wait to see this kid in action... looks like ill be sneaking away from work at the Hitmen games when Brandon is in town...

Yes forgot you can send him down after a few games hopefully he becomes our # 7 D this yr perhaps that is why we haven't signed a F/A perhaps they all ready have some one in mind in our system as well as Nadal.  

My guess is that Provorov will play in the NHL this season.  It makes more room for Killer to play more minutes, but Stocton gives the Flames 100% control of his usage and development.

Yeah.  I've thought of Stockton.  I'd prefer one year in the CHL first, as it's an extra year for him to get acclimated to NA ice.  I know stockton gives complete control, but the Flames are also in the business of development, and it could set him a year back.

Yeah.  I've thought of Stockton.  I'd prefer one year in the CHL first, as it's an extra year for him to get acclimated to NA ice.  I know stockton gives complete control, but the Flames are also in the business of development, and it could set him a year back.

See the link I posted elsewhere...

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2015/07/fork-in-road-comparing-kylingtons.html

We are talking about a plyer that has played against men for his career, basically.  He earned money playing hockey.  While I can see the good things of sending him to Brandon, would he develop any less in the AHL playing for a Flames organization coach?  Yes, he could use a break from playing outside his peer group, but he would be playing against lesser talent.

Yes love this site 80Ft great incite and lots of info probably same thing but he is a wealth of information check his site out every day . So if your reading these D H don't stop you give uis something to look forward to on as they say the dog days of summer . Your the Man I especially like the fact you are a True Calgarian.

Archived