The Boston Blowup

jjgallow

As I write this, Don Sweeney has just single-handedly destroyed the Boston Bruins in one day.

And we don't even know if he's done yet.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772368&navid=DL|BOS|home

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772241

http://www.tsn.ca/bruins-close-to-dealing-lucic-to-kings-1.318890

Hamilton gone (um, thank you????).

Soderberg gone.

Milan Lucic  to Kings

Adam McQuaid likely gone

This, clearly, puts Boston into Re-build mode.

The scary part, is that Don Sweeney doesn't know it.  Obviously.  Or he wouldn't have let one of his youngest talents go.

Boston, already 17th overall, just gave up their brightest future and their brightest present.

This will clearly sink them deep to the bottom of the league next season.

Simply put, they had salary cap restrictions and Massively fumbled that ball:

http://thehockeywriters.com/salary-cap-projections-will-affect-boston-bruins-free-agent-decisions/

Instead of signing their future, they opted to keep their past.  Chara.  Rask.  Kelly.

In one day, they became an antique shop.  

A relic of times past (2011) to attract ticketholders who remember their big cup win.

It was a clear business move, rather than a hockey move.

Just wanted to start the thread, as I feel we may have an influx of war-torn Boston Bruins vets on here.

So what now?   How long does Sweeney last?  One season?

Does Boston keep its fans?   

How long (how many years) to undo the damage?

I don't know how you can justify blowing up a team starting with the youth. 

They should've traded Krejci and avoided Louie Eriksson to keep Tyler Seguin.

They should've traded Chara to keep Boychuk and Hamilton.

That makes zero sense to me and everybody else to let go of Dougie Hamilton who is regarded as one of the best under-25 Dmen in the NHL, right up there with Ekblad, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, etc., actually, probably no "etc".  That's pretty much it, 4 or 5 Dmen in that group with those considerations.

And now Lucic?  Man, the Bruins are going to be going downhill fast.

It's mind-blowing.

Like, nothing makes sense.  Is it a salary thing?  no, they're keeping that.

Is it a youth movement? nah, they're getting rid of that too.

We're down to crazy talk.

Did Don Sweeney have a nervous breakdown?  Take drugs?

Maybe Don Sweeney had a concussion, and was cleared to act as GM again too soon?

Or, maybe he's gunning for Auston Matthews????? 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-to-play-next-season-in-europe/

Even if they DO get a franchise player with one of those picks, imho, we still win.  Best case scenario for them, it's 4 years of successful development thrown away.  Worst case, they've just given their future cornerstone player away for what may end up to be nothing.  And given the Flames a chance to be contenders.  For years.

So weird.

But GREAT for us.

The icing on the cake for Bruins fans is retaining 50% of Lucic's salary as per SN Fan960.

Bad day at the office for them.

Not really, they got some great pieces and should be able to do a quick rebuild. With the young players they got from LAK plus the picks they made two reasonable trades that also frees them from Cap hell which Chiarelli left them in.

Not really, they got some great pieces and should be able to do a quick rebuild. With the young players they got from LAK plus the picks they made two reasonable trades that also frees them from Cap hell which Chiarelli left them in.

Those trades were anything but reasonable.

They fall in the category of the Phaneuf and Gilmour trades.  They were horrible. The whole day was horrible.

Those trades were anything but reasonable.

They fall in the category of the Phaneuf and Gilmour trades.  They were horrible. The whole day was horrible.

It's nice to be on the other side for a change.  We get a franchise-quality d-man for magic beans.  We didn't go off the board like Boston did.  We didn't trade a former franchise winger and retain salary for a goalie and more beans.

We used to say "In Sutter we trust" until the Phaneuf trade.  Now, it looks like BT is the new deity. :)

Lets settle down on the Lucic trade for a second and remember that Lucic counts 6.5 mill against the cap and was a pending UFA next off seasons. Rumors had it he was looking for a long term deal in the 5-6 year range for probably around the same money. Does anyone here really think committing 5 years and 30 mill to a 27 year old Lucic is a really wise investment? Personally I think trading Lucic was a no brainer and I don't think it was a dumb move at all. Yes they ate cap space but its for 1 year and it allowed them to get a 1st and a very good prospect back. If anything I would argue that them eating cap space is smart because if they had of said No to eating cap space they would have got less.

Now the Hamilton deal is stupid, plain and simple, but I think people are really overreacting to what Boston did here. to say that they gut their team and now are doing to fall back into the Mathews sweepstakes is way too premature. They will be a solid team next year no question in my mind. Too much depth and too good of center options to fall of a cliff like that.

Now the Hamilton deal is stupid, plain and simple, but I think people are really overreacting to what Boston did here. to say that they gut their team and now are doing to fall back into the Mathews sweepstakes is way too premature. They will be a solid team next year no question in my mind. Too much depth and too good of center options to fall of a cliff like that.

Boston made horrible picks for the ones they got for Hamilton. That deal was beyond stupid...it was Dave Nonis calibre dumb (and I'm a Leafs fan). I feel bad for Sweeney, I think this move just gave him a noose around his neck, and won't take long for him to tighten it up and hang himself.

The Lucic trade - wasn't great. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Hamilton one, but it certainly doesn't help matters. I think the Bruins now have a lot of work to do before they will be in contention again...a few years at least.

Shall we add the trade for Rinaldo for a 2017 3rd rounder?

I'm with the minority in that i thought dumping Lucic was a great move.

He's a complete slug and i can't stand the guy as a hockey player.  Overrated... and I'm actually glad he's in LA.

Makes me sick however that he's only going to cost the Kings $3.8 mil for the next 2 yrs AND that they were able to terminate Richards instead having to buy him out.  Absolutely nauseating they may be able to retain Sekera now.... he's the key in the Kings season next yr imo...

Retain Sekera - they are a contender again...

Lose Sekera - and they are still on the edge of the playoffs again with the same very stale offense.

I can't help but wonder if there is a bit of bad blood left over between Peter Chiarelli and Cam Neely.

If so did this play into our getting Hamilton at a bargain price.

or

when the Oilers refused to include Darnell Nurse in their offer did that help us?

By all accounts there is a bit of bad blood and Chiarelli didn't leave on the greatest of terms but the more "reputable" sources are speculating that Boston drove a harder bargain with Edmonton because Edmonton was the one that put it out there about offering sheeting Hamilton so they set their price higher. I also reach somewhere that a lot of teams and GMs are upset that Edmonton won another lottery and almost collectively have said if Edmonton wants to deal with us we expect more.

I think it helped because Edmonton could have offered a very similar, if not even better, package then the Flames. they had pick 16 and 32 and I'm sure could have easily parted with an asset the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick so I think there is no question that helped the Flames.

Bruins just flipped Martin Jones for a 2016 first rounder and a prospect. Feeling a little different about Sweeney today? That's a good prospect and 2 first round picks for Milan Lucic. That's a real solid return IMO. Probably more then what they got for Hamilton who should have been the better asset.

Bruins just flipped Martin Jones for a 2016 first rounder and a prospect. Feeling a little different about Sweeney today? That's a good prospect and 2 first round picks for Milan Lucic. That's a real solid return IMO. Probably more then what they got for Hamilton who should have been the better asset.

Jones probably hadn't even finished packing for Boston & now he doesn't have to move across country. :)

You're right though. That does make the return for Lucic a lot better.

Milan Lucic

for

LA 1st (Jakub Zboril), Colin Miller, Sean Kuraly and SJ 2016 1st

That's an outstanding return.  I already like the Lucic trade from Boston's perspective before... this puts it over the top.

The Hamilton signing with Cgy at that dollar amount kinda shows he may of not wanted to sign in Boston... so Sweeny's hands look like they were tied.  Hard to roast him too harshly...

So big win on the Lucic deal... took a hit, but good asset accumulation in the Hamilton trade... reached for a couple of his 1st round picks that will take yrs to actually evaluate... and then... Rinaldo.

Overall, pre-Free agency (they cap space to add one significant piece),  the Bruins look like they will take a step lateral or back next yr.. but they looked primed for long term success. 

Archived