Suggestion: Jonathon Drouin

travel_dude

For a guy that went top 5 in 2013, he doesn't seem to be making any progress at cracking the Bolts lineup. Sure, he played 70 NHL games (4th line at times), but when the playoffs came around, he gets 3 games, and when injury gives him a chance to get back in, was scratched in favour of Jonathan Marchessault.

He was the only top 5 to get sent back to junior in his draft year. He seems to be experiencing the Sven Syndrome, where he thinks he is a top 5, but usn't given any thrust by the coach.

Do you think there is any chance that they trade him, and if so, what would he be worth?

I don't get why everyone's making a big deal about him not cracking the lineup. He's only one year removed from Junior. He has a lot of time. He's smaller and will possibly be elite. Is he what? 19 or 20?

Barely 20. TB seems to be taking the patient approach with him when you look @ his minutes & the fact he does get scratched some games.

I prefer that to drafting an 18 year old & throwing him on the top line. The Bolts have the luxury of breaking him in slow.

If TB were to trade him (& I doubt they're shopping him) the return would need to be huge.

They had the option of Seth Jones but seemed to believe in Drouin.

Barely 20. TB seems to be taking the patient approach with him when you look @ his minutes & the fact he does get scratched some games.

I prefer that to drafting an 18 year old & throwing him on the top line. The Bolts have the luxury of breaking him in slow.

If TB were to trade him (& I doubt they're shopping him) the return would need to be huge.

They had the option of Seth Jones but seemed to believe in Drouin.

It's not that they are shopping him, but he is clearly frustrated with not playing. That is why I mentioned the Sven...He could ask for a trade, but it's hard to tell if he is anywhere near that point. Getting scratched in favour of a smaller player may be part of it.

As you say, the return would be huge if they chose to shop him, but less so if he asks for a trade. From what I saw of him, I am not super impressed, though there are signs of a very good player in the future.

You're comparing apples to orange right now. How many years has Sven been in the system in which he started to feel mistreated. I say it takes another year of it before Drouin gets pissed? 

If it is already happening, then he has an attitude problem with a ME first mentality. 

If I remember correctly Stamkos went through similar things with Tampa in his rookie season, where he was benched a few games because he wasn't strong enough.

They aren't going to give up on Drouin, he has Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau type skill, I think he just has to learn the game a bit more.

All fair points. The basis of my suggestion was from a blog, which connected some dots that may not even be there. There is some quotes from Bobby Mac (radio spot) that adds a little credibility to it. I doubt he is going to get moved, but stranger things have happened....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=68656&blogger_id=173

I thin it's gojng to be a while before Tampa gives up on drouin or he gives up on Tampa. One year is not going to salt a relationship IMO nor do I think either side is worried. Personally not a drouin fan and think he was a bit overrated in his draft year so I wojldnt be all that interested unless you could get him really cheap thought and I don't suspect that to be the case.

I do however yhinkh it's worth while to keep a close eye on Tampa. They've got a lot of forwards that I'm the next few years are going to need contracts and I don't think they can afford them all. Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat and Johnson all need new deals in the next two seasons and they don't really have a big contract coming off the books so think they are going to have to move someone. I have no idea which nor price but I think the flames should stay close.

I think Drouin is slightly overrated because he played on a line with Nathan Mackinnon in Junior (just like i think Dylan Strome is overrated because he plays on a line with Connor McDavid but that's another topic).  I used to think his peak is Paul Kariya but i now doubt his vision because he's becoming more of a puck hog who doesn't want to pass.  He has great speed and great puck handling so he always has the ability to wow.  Still, if Drouin is available, i think the Flames should take a serious look.  I think all teams should. 

I think Drouin is slightly overrated because he played on a line with Nathan Mackinnon in Junior (just like i think Dylan Strome is overrated because he plays on a line with Connor McDavid but that's another topic).  I used to think his peak is Paul Kariya but i now doubt his vision because he's becoming more of a puck hog who doesn't want to pass.  He has great speed and great puck handling so he always has the ability to wow.  Still, if Drouin is available, i think the Flames should take a serious look.  I think all teams should. 

Even though Drouin killed the QJMHL without Mackinnon? and to be honest I thought think he has the vision hes just so used to being able to hold onto the puck for a longer time. 

I don't see it personally.

I agree that he has tonnes of potential and I like him.

But I don't see Tampa giving him up cheap.  He is their #1 prospect, and there is a steep, steep dropoff to their #2 prospect.

More accurately, I feel they are taking their time with him.  Which, in my mind, shows that they place Significant value on him.

The Flames, meanwhile, have an abundance of left wing  and center talent.

Were he a true Right-hander, things would be different.

• 11 months later...

Kids looking pretty good in the playoffs. 7 points, 1 goal. Not sure what it would take to get him, but I'd take a good hard look. Dallas's first +??

I think it would take our 1st to get him, Dallas' 1st would be too low, and not sure what it'd take for the plus, and how many pluses.

I think it would take our 1st to get him, Dallas' 1st would be too low, and not sure what it'd take for the plus, and how many pluses.

I think he has gotten a reprieve.  His value is higher now, and he showed what the team wanted to see from him.  He would be smart to stick it out in a place where he has a chance at a cup.  He still wants a trade, he goes to a loser team.

I think he has gotten a reprieve. His value is higher now, and he showed what the team wanted to see from him. He would be smart to stick it out in a place where he has a chance at a cup. He still wants a trade, he goes to a loser team.

My dad asked what I thought, and I said exactly this. He really only needed to be patient because after this year there will be space. I can't see TBL re-signing Stamkos unless it's for a big discount. These last two playoffs years have shown they don't really need him.

Window missed.. he's not going anywhere now 

Agreed, I don't think he is going anywhere. His problem with the Lightning was a lack of opportunity and a "disconnect" with Cooper. Sure looks like to me both problems have been resolved and the Lightning are giving him as good an opportunity as any other team in the League would.

Drouin stays IMO and if the LIghtning were to trade him the price just went up. With how good Drouin is playing, The Flames wouldn't be able to get him without giving up Bennett, Gaudreau or Hamilton IMO.

We'll likely never known but I would be really interested to see what the best offer the Lightning got on Drouin. Did they actually turn down some good deals or did they just get lucky that no one gave them what they thought was enough?

Agreed, I don't think he is going anywhere. His problem with the Lightning was a lack of opportunity and a "disconnect" with Cooper. Sure looks like to me both problems have been resolved and the Lightning are giving him as good an opportunity as any other team in the League would.

Drouin stays IMO and if the LIghtning were to trade him the price just went up. With how good Drouin is playing, The Flames wouldn't be able to get him without giving up Bennett, Gaudreau or Hamilton IMO.

We'll likely never known but I would be really interested to see what the best offer the Lightning got on Drouin. Did they actually turn down some good deals or did they just get lucky that no one gave them what they thought was enough?

I still wouldn't be so sure that SY doesn't turf him out. He is getting this time out of desperation caused by Stamkos going down. I'm not saying I would even want him but if he is in play and we have 2-1st rounders plus to go after Vasilevsky and a few others from TB it is worth asking.

I still wouldn't be so sure that SY doesn't turf him out. He is getting this time out of desperation caused by Stamkos going down. I'm not saying I would even want him but if he is in play and we have 2-1st rounders plus to go after Vasilevsky and a few others from TB it is worth asking.

Stevie may indeed hold a grudge, but Drouin was the one asking to be traded.  He did everything that was asked of him, once he got over the little pouter he threw.  He has become an impact player with a shot at being a top 6 player for years to come.  Does he throw that away and end up on a team in perpetual rebuild or constantly unable to make the playoffs?

Stevie Y is only going to trade him if the return greatly outweighs the value he brings.  They know what he is capable of.  He's not untouchable, but could be considered part of their last resort trades.

Archived