Mason Raymond

conundrumed

Raymond is playing about as well as he did before his last season in Vancouver. Following that he barely got a minimum wage contract. I can't see the Flames finding a buyer for Raymond and his contract. Not without taking back another bad contract.

Hopefully Treliving learned from this one. Bad contracts kill. Hopefully Engellands value is inflated with the increased ice time and we could him in the summer. We might be able to move Stajan. But I don't see any reasonable way to love Raymond short of buying hum out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see Bollig or Byron or even Raymond here next yr we have some big bodies ready to take there place and we don't need to trade for them our system have players that are every bit as good as those three fellows IMO

If you dump Raymond, Bollig, and Byron your depth next season is roughly:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

Bennett-Backlund-Colborne

Bouma-Stajan-Jones

Ferland-Shore-Jooris

Klimchuk-Granlund-Poirier

Agostino-Arnold-Wolf

That isn't bad. But your depth is really young and unproven, especially on the wing. Plus, you need forwards to sit the press box. I would keep Byron and Bollig as depth players. You won't get much in a Bollig trade and you lose Byron for nothing. Keeping them is free depth.

It is all probably moot though. I think we are going to see some big deals this summer that will change up the roster.

It is hard to say what BT will do this offseason but I think they have to make a decision between keeping Backlund or Stajan. I think they keep Bollig and Engelland but drop or trade Jones and Bryon.

Jones is a hard sell with that contract.  Same way Tanguay was hard to move.

Byron is a RFA this summer, so they wouldn't really get to trade without signing him.

Backlund and Stajan are mainstays here until they are replaced with centers that are better.  So far, I have not seen that happen.

I'm not sure we wouldn't have more option Carroll, Smith I could see smith making the jump to the pros he is a good reason why Generals are into the next round 14 points in 16 GP +-1 rating of course I put very little concern in +- ratings it can be very miss leading. But I could see him making the jump at least to AHL and perhaps do a Ferland in next yr playoffs that's right I said they will make playoffs again next yr :D

It is all probably moot though. I think we are going to see some big deals this summer that will change up the roster.

I think trades are necessary if the Flames want to get to the next level.

That said, i'm most interested to see if Treliving is willing to swallow his pride and right his mistakes by trading away last off-season's mistakes such as Raymond and Engellend OR will we see stubborness.

That said, i'm most interested to see if Treliving is willing to swallow his pride and right his mistakes by trading away last off-season's mistakes such as Raymond and Engellend OR will we see stubborness.

Im curious as to why you think they are mistakes if JH didnt pan out and bouma didnt have a great season who was gunna play LW?

Also Engelland wasent the worst signing in history, hes not great for top 4 minutes but I dont mind him that much as a #6 or #7 defenceman and his contract will be gone before it matters.

Im curious as to why you think they are mistakes if JH didnt pan out and bouma didnt have a great season who was gunna play LW?

Also Engelland wasent the worst signing in history, hes not great for top 4 minutes but I dont mind him that much as a #6 or #7 defenceman and his contract will be gone before it matters.

Raymond, by all accounts, did not have a great season whether the Flames are in the second round of the playoffs or finished in the bottom 3 of the NHL.  Do we really need Raymond to finish bottom 3 in the NHL?  We have Reinhart, Hanowski, and a plethora of AHLers to help us accomplish that.  Did he help us get to the second round?  Not really.  At his cap hit and term, he is a mistake.

Engellend is pretty self explanatory.  Two more years at basically $3-mil-per is too much for a Dman who should only play 15-minutes a game and play against average competition.

I think trades are necessary if the Flames want to get to the next level.

If we had matched the "expert's" expectations for this season and finished bottom 3, BT's moves would have been seen as sheer brilliance. He signed what was available at FA time (without overpaying for a $5m or 5 year contract), tried to trade up in the draft, and reached the cap floor.

He figured goals would be hard to come by, but refused to burden us beyond 3 years. He left it up to the coach to get something out of the players he had. The fact that Raymond was surpassed by Bouma, Johnny Hockey, Mony, Jooris, Colborne and Backlund is great team-wise, and allows us to move him if we want to. He might actually be a better player if he remains healthy to start the year, and then we can trade him.

The fact that Raymond was surpassed by Bouma, Johnny Hockey, Mony, Jooris, Colborne and Backlund is great team-wise, and allows us to move him if we want to. He might actually be a better player if he remains healthy to start the year, and then we can trade him.

Maybe the Leafs miss him and are sorry they let him walk, and we can trade him back...

71053f3d1c862ec02e30619d3bbe41b4.png

Raymond, by all accounts, did not have a great season whether the Flames are in the second round of the playoffs or finished in the bottom 3 of the NHL.  Do we really need Raymond to finish bottom 3 in the NHL?  We have Reinhart, Hanowski, and a plethora of AHLers to help us accomplish that.  Did he help us get to the second round?  Not really.  At his cap hit and term, he is a mistake.

Engellend is pretty self explanatory.  Two more years at basically $3-mil-per is too much for a Dman who should only play 15-minutes a game and play against average competition.

I dont see why we would have wanted to throw Reinhart and hanowski etc to the wolves if bouma and JH didnt pan out but thats just me.

Two years isent that bad and without his contract and raymonds we wouldnt have been at the cap floor, but thats the way I see it.

He definitely had an underwhelming season but his PPG was still on par with Bouma's. I know there's more to the story than just points but I'm just saying.

Mayray got buried, had some injuries, a scoring drought but never complained once. It's also not ludicrous to think that he's the type of guy that could score 5 goals in the next 5 games. He's a good depth guy, and cap space won't be an issue in the next two years so I say let it be.

If we had matched the "expert's" expectations for this season and finished bottom 3, BT's moves would have been seen as sheer brilliance. He signed what was available at FA time (without overpaying for a $5m or 5 year contract), tried to trade up in the draft, and reached the cap floor.

He figured goals would be hard to come by, but refused to burden us beyond 3 years. He left it up to the coach to get something out of the players he had. The fact that Raymond was surpassed by Bouma, Johnny Hockey, Mony, Jooris, Colborne and Backlund is great team-wise, and allows us to move him if we want to. He might actually be a better player if he remains healthy to start the year, and then we can trade him.

How is it that if the Flames sucked and Raymond sucked that the Raymond signing would be seen as sheer brilliance?

I'm saying Raymond sucks so it doesn't matter if the Flames were good or bad, which is more accurate than what you are trying to say.

I dont see why we would have wanted to throw Reinhart and hanowski etc to the wolves if bouma and JH didnt pan out but thats just me.

Two years isent that bad and without his contract and raymonds we wouldnt have been at the cap floor, but thats the way I see it.

Why would you want to sign a player for 3 years for the purpose of throwing him into the wolves?  Give the kids some ice time for experience instead.  I'd rather have Reinhart with one full year of rough experience instead of 2 more years of Raymond, and this was before we signed Raymond.

In terms of signing players to hit the cap floor, sign players to ONE YEAR, not three.  We needed to hit the cap floor for one year, not for two and three years.

People, Raymond is a veteran LW that can play or not play and who wanted to be in Calgary. If the Flames weren't competitive he is exactly the type of player that you want sheltering the youth.

It just so happens that the youth developed faster then expected and the Flames were competitive this season.

Raymond makes sense if we aren't playing as well as we are.

Archived