Brandon Hickey

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Maybe it does..

could also mean that he just didn't want to turn down a chance to captain a team that is a perennial contender for the National Championship and will likely have a very good team again next year. Stockton is deep too so you either be a top guy on a really good NCAA team or play a 3/4 role at best on a team in the A?

I think people make way too much of the whole NCAA free agency thing. Not many players in the grand scheme of things have exercised it. 

I prefer that he spends another year in college.  Free development.  I think that the AHL could be really clogged nxt season with all the guys we have "close" to an NHL job.

Maybe that changes due to letting a few guys go, but really, there is nothing wrong with seasoning a few guys another year.  I don't think we graduate more than one or two at most next season.  Kylington is still so young.  Andersson maybe ready.  Perhaps they bring up a shutdown guy like Ollas-Mattsson.  Kulak is ok, but I'm still not sold on his ability to play a full-time role here.  Also have that Healey guy, not sure what he is like. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎17 at 6:31 PM, travel_dude said:

I prefer that he spends another year in college.  Free development.  I think that the AHL could be really clogged nxt season with all the guys we have "close" to an NHL job.

Maybe that changes due to letting a few guys go, but really, there is nothing wrong with seasoning a few guys another year.  I don't think we graduate more than one or two at most next season.  Kylington is still so young.  Andersson maybe ready.  Perhaps they bring up a shutdown guy like Ollas-Mattsson.  Kulak is ok, but I'm still not sold on his ability to play a full-time role here.  Also have that Healey guy, not sure what he is like. 

Good profile write up on Hickey with comparisons to Brodie which brings me to think he could replace Brodie or Giordano in a few years.

49 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Good profile write up on Hickey with comparisons to Brodie which brings me to think he could replace Brodie or Giordano in a few years.

Nothing against Hickey, but right now I would peg him as the 3rd best LHS defensive prospect we have.  While it's possible that any of them could replace Gio when his game falls apart, I don't know any of them are really top 2.  

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Nothing against Hickey, but right now I would peg him as the 3rd best LHS defensive prospect we have.  While it's possible that any of them could replace Gio when his game falls apart, I don't know any of them are really top 2.  

Who are the other 2 in your opinion ? and where do you see them all in 3 years time ?

I don't understand the rule that a College student who has been drafted by a team doesn't have to sign with that team after college. My question is this why Draft a possible player who might decide he wants to play else where and why does a college have the right to distance them selves from the NHL rules of drafting? But since it is the case and we have 2 possible top D men who has a possible 80% chance they will sign else where and we lose a pick over it. We have 2 3rd round picks and neither will sign with the the Flames Hickey will probably sign with Oilers due to the top quality players he will play with and a better chance at a cup. Fox if he keeps his top D playing abilities will for sure jump ship and head to a US team with a better chance of making the playoffs. We lose 2 3rd rounders I don't understand the thinking behind this train of thought?

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Kylington and Fox.

In three years, Fox will be in the NHL.  Kylington should be ready by 2018.  Hickey may not even be here.

May not be here as in the main team or with the organization ? Kylington is definitely 1 LHSD to watch for and Fox is a RHSD isn't he ?

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

May not be here as in the main team or with the organization ? Kylington is definitely 1 LHSD to watch for and Fox is a RHSD isn't he ?

Sorry, I meant he is a flight risk.  When he comes up to the end of his senior season, he will know what the Flames blueline depth is on the team and the farm.  He may not see any opening for himself on the Flames for some years to come.  Being that long in college, he may not want to make $70k playing in Stockton.  Or Kansas City.  As a FA, he would have at least one team telling him they have a NHL spot for him.

My bad on Fox.  He is a RHS.  He's behind Ras.  

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry, I meant he is a flight risk.  When he comes up to the end of his senior season, he will know what the Flames blueline depth is on the team and the farm.  He may not see any opening for himself on the Flames for some years to come.  Being that long in college, he may not want to make $70k playing in Stockton.  Or Kansas City.  As a FA, he would have at least one team telling him they have a NHL spot for him.

We have three top spots taken there is a top 4 spot and a alternate waiting on the Bench so it is his to take at this point but he desided to finish his last yr of College and with the opening opertunity right now and to pass on it tells me he is going to go after the open market nice. Thanx Hickey. I think I know where he is heading. Who wouldn't want to play with McyD.

11 minutes ago, zima said:

We have three top spots taken there is a top 4 spot and a alternate waiting on the Bench so it is his to take at this point but he desided to finish his last yr of College and with the opening opertunity right now and to pass on it tells me he is going to go after the open market nice. Thanx Hickey. I think I know where he is heading. Who wouldn't want to play with McyD.

I'm not sure that is how he sees this at all, maybe you do because you think every young player can just walk right in and play in the NHL. Some people actually go to University for the education, quality players finish what they start. Guess that may be why he is their leader and Captain.

34 minutes ago, zima said:

Not even Albertan wants to play for the Oilers or even live there.  Not every player in the NHL wants to go to that team either.  They are in no better position to offer a starting spot to Hickey than we are.    

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I'm not sure that is how he sees this at all, maybe you do because you think every young player can just walk right in and play in the NHL. Some people actually go to University for the education, quality players finish what they start. Guess that may be why he is their leader and Captain.

I see the sarcasm spewing out of every orifice of your body But guess what I haven't been wrong yet go figure Opps sorry I was wrong on Beartch thought he would be a injury type player play 1 month on the injury list the next 4 months wrong. But he just wasn't going to play here after how he felt he was treated. I still think that Hickey not signing with the Flames when there is an opening to play for the Flames this yr what I mean by that is this yr is the most opportune time to make the NHL because of the opening in the NHL system. To pass on that scares me. Hickey can finish his last yr just like JH did Through summer and on line. So ridicule me all you want Mac331 seems to be your go to move but we will see where hickey ends up hoping im wrong but my crystal ball says not here.

4 minutes ago, zima said:

I see the sarcasm spewing out of every orifice of your body But guess what I haven't been wrong yet go figure Opps sorry I was wrong on Beartch thought he would be a injury type player play 1 month on the injury list the next 4 months wrong. But he just wasn't going to play here after how he felt he was treated. I still think that Hickey not signing with the Flames when there is an opening to play for the Flames this yr what I mean by that is this yr is the most opportune time to make the NHL because of the opening in the NHL system. To pass on that scares me. Hickey can finish his last yr just like JH did Through summer and on line. So ridicule me all you want Mac331 seems to be your go to move but we will see where hickey ends up hoping im wrong but my crystal ball says not here.

I don't mean to ridicule at all, I just think you need to manage your expectations better. If it isn't Hickey's time because he does have a year remaining with University I wouldn't expect him to simply quit and apply for the job. You very well could be right that in the end he choses elsewhere to play with this loose loophole surrounding college draft picks. We will have to wait to find out.

9 minutes ago, zima said:

Mellow out.  He was saying that because you have said the same thing about most young players we have.

Hickey had no guarantee to play for the Flames this year, even the way they sit right now.  He has players ahead of him that have played in the pro leagues.  The Flames will be looking to sign a top 4 player this summer.  At best, Hickey was a slight possibility of being in the bottom pair or 7th D.   

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Mellow out.  He was saying that because you have said the same thing about most young players we have.

Hickey had no guarantee to play for the Flames this year, even the way they sit right now.  He has players ahead of him that have played in the pro leagues.  The Flames will be looking to sign a top 4 player this summer.  At best, Hickey was a slight possibility of being in the bottom pair or 7th D.   

Ok who have I been wrong about I said Mono and JH would stay I said Bennett would and MrT ? I was wrong about Beartch only because I didn't think he would amount to anything. At this point Im not saying Hickey would even make it to the bigs I just said he has every opportunity becuase we have some openings in the D section. The fact he has desided to pass gives me great apprehension that he has any intention of playing for use. 

2 hours ago, zima said:

I don't understand the rule that a College student who has been drafted by a team doesn't have to sign with that team after college. My question is this why Draft a possible player who might decide he wants to play else where and why does a college have the right to distance them selves from the NHL rules of drafting? But since it is the case and we have 2 possible top D men who has a possible 80% chance they will sign else where and we lose a pick over it. We have 2 3rd round picks and neither will sign with the the Flames Hickey will probably sign with Oilers due to the top quality players he will play with and a better chance at a cup. Fox if he keeps his top D playing abilities will for sure jump ship and head to a US team with a better chance of making the playoffs. We lose 2 3rd rounders I don't understand the thinking behind this train of thought?

The amount of players who wait it out to jump ship is very small. There is a loyalty from the college players that also gets them paychecks earlier when they decide they do want to play professional hockey.

If you truly don't understand then ask the Players association and the NHL why they set up college hockey players the way they did. The wait has a lot to do with retaining amateur status while still in school.

9 minutes ago, zima said:

Ok who have I been wrong about I said Mono and JH would stay I said Bennett would and MrT ? I was wrong about Beartch only because I didn't think he would amount to anything. At this point Im not saying Hickey would even make it to the bigs I just said he has every opportunity becuase we have some openings in the D section. The fact he has desided to pass gives me great apprehension that he has any intention of playing for use. 

Projecting top 6 - 1st rounders or the highest rated prospect we had isn't exactly killing it.  Aren't you also saying that Parsons should make it this season?  How about Ras or Kylington?  What did you say about Ortio or MacDonald?  Just curious.  We all have players we think highly of, and would like them to make it.  Tkachuk only stayed on the team because he was able to make the decision impossible to send him back to junior.  They were at least going to keep him 9 games.  After that they had a much longer stretch to evaluate him, and he showed he belonged.  

You making predictions and them becoming true doesn't mean you are any better at judging talent as anybody else.  Hickey is a nice prospect to have.  If he signs here and makes the team, great.  Same goes for Fox and the others.

No, I am not trying to insult you.  Nobody is, but if you call others out, they might not be as diplomatic.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You making predictions and them becoming true doesn't mean you are any better at judging talent as anybody else

Thats right predictions becoming true and fighting tooth and nail with each and everyone of you to the point of name calling I was right you were wrong don't hate just live with it LOL. Ok just kidding don't get made ;)

Look I think Hickey will jump ship just my opinion and I know I could very well be wrong and guess what wouldn't be the first time and yes I have argued about players i am passionate about who I think will be a great player for the Flames i was wrong about Bennett because I had him in the top Rookie category. Drisital surpassing him really pees me off but im hoping this yr will be Bens yr and they put some quality players along side him the kid needs to smile a little more so a few more goals could put a permanent smile on his face he is way to serous.  

2 hours ago, zima said:

Look I think Hickey will jump ship just my opinion and I know I could very well be wrong and guess what wouldn't be the first time and yes I have argued about players i am passionate about who I think will be a great player for the Flames i was wrong about Bennett because I had him in the top Rookie category. Drisital surpassing him really pees me off but im hoping this yr will be Bens yr and they put some quality players along side him the kid needs to smile a little more so a few more goals could put a permanent smile on his face he is way to serous.  

Don't worry about Bennett.  Just because he doesn;t play with McDavid doesn't mean he isn't as good as Draisaitl.  If you look at Draisaitl's prodcution away from McDavid, it's not that spectacular.  Good, just not 77 points good.  Play him 3rd line minutes with Brouwer and see what he looks like.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Don't worry about Bennett.  Just because he doesn;t play with McDavid doesn't mean he isn't as good as Draisaitl.  If you look at Draisaitl's prodcution away from McDavid, it's not that spectacular.  Good, just not 77 points good.  Play him 3rd line minutes with Brouwer and see what he looks like.

I don't know but I thought that was what I meant when I said if he has some good players surrounding him and when I said I had him as top rookie I thought he was going to win the rookie of the yr. But they just keep putting him with 3rd and 4th line players tuff to get any points when you don't have the support I guess I should have lead with that :)

7 hours ago, zima said:

Well you have a 50/50 chance to be right or wrong with any prediction, is that why you are here ? Whether Hickey stays or runs isn't going to cause any of us to lose any sleep.

Archived