Brandon Hickey

I think he is in a battle for the 3rd pariing/7th dman role. IMO, Sanheim, Hicketts, Fleury are locks and Chyrchn is basically a lock too. Jullseen or Mckeown are going to get a good look for their RH shot ability so that leaves Hickey in a battle with guys like Dermont, Chabot.

I think he's got a good shot and could be the type of dman who works his way into a higher role, but based on the summer series they had here in Calgary I think he is one of the bubble guys. 

Jankowski was at the home and home series that BU had (last week I believe), scouting Hickey.  He said they don't like to make decisions just based on the summer camp or too late in the year.  He specifically said he wanted to get a read of where Hickey might fit, and seeing him play a ton of minutes was good to see him in all situations.  There was a brief story about it a day or so before the invites were announced.  He also talked of McDonald and how playing in a lesser defensive league and a bad team really didn't impact how his play was looked upon.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's got a good shot and could be the type of dman who works his way into a higher role, but based on the summer series they had here in Calgary I think he is one of the bubble guys. 

I thought that he looked pretty good during the summer series. He carries the puck well and I thought his passing was solid. I only caught two of the games though.

I thought that he looked pretty good during the summer series. He carries the puck well and I thought his passing was solid. I only caught two of the games though.

I thought he played solid too. Nothing against Hickey I jsut think he is below a few guys on the depth chart. He'll have a good shot and I would be a bit suprised actually if he didn't make it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested Canada plays a tune up game tonight which is on TSN at I believe 5pm (could be wrong)

Hickey also seems to have moved up. Playing with Sanheim probably bodes well to his chances of making the team considering Sanheim is viewed as a lock. 

Fleury-Juulsen

Chabot-Hicketts

Sanheim-Hickey

Lauzon-McKeown

Dermott

For those interested Canada plays a tune up game tonight which is on TSN at I believe 5pm (could be wrong)

Hickey also seems to have moved up. Playing with Sanheim probably bodes well to his chances of making the team considering Sanheim is viewed as a lock. 

Fleury-Juulsen

Chabot-Hicketts

Sanheim-Hickey

Lauzon-McKeown

Dermott

When Jake Walman went down with injury and Jacob Chychrun was cut, it really cleared the way for HIckey to get a regular spot. 

Fleury-Juulsen

Chabot-Hicketts

Sanheim-Hickey

Lauzon-McKeown

Dermott

Looks the pre competition schedule is saturday at 9 am for the first game as per. 

http://www.tsn.ca/2016-world-juniors-on-tsn-schedule-1.142384

Those are a few good D prospects tbh for hickey to even be in the conversation is pretty good. Im wondering why Chychrun was cut, I heard he was as good as ekblad on some pipeline show.

Looks the pre competition schedule is saturday at 9 am for the first game as per. 

http://www.tsn.ca/2016-world-juniors-on-tsn-schedule-1.142384

Those are a few good D prospects tbh for hickey to even be in the conversation is pretty good. Im wondering why Chychrun was cut, I heard he was as good as ekblad on some pipeline show.

Team Canada likes to take older players to this tournament preferring 19 year olds over 17 year olds. Hicketts is the only returning d-man, if there were more returning I think Chychrun might have gotten a longer look.

First pre tournament game is in 30 mins not sure if hickey is playing yet, but ill give updates on him if he does.

I will be watching as well. I believe McDonald is starting.

I am not a big fan of comparing prospects with existing players as each player is unique. For example, Johnny and Kane are very different players IMO. But I have been impressed by Hickey and he really does remind me of Brodie. He take big strides, skates with power, and has real vision on the ice. You can tell he really thinks his play during the game. The only questions in my mind are whether just a little more talent unfolds and whether he can maintain his poise and determination.

I will be watching as well. I believe McDonald is starting.

I am not a big fan of comparing prospects with existing players as each player is unique. For example, Johnny and Kane are very different players IMO. But I have been impressed by Hickey and he really does remind me of Brodie. He take big strides, skates with power, and has real vision on the ice. You can tell he really thinks his play during the game. The only questions in my mind are whether just a little more talent unfolds and whether he can maintain his poise and determination.

Thats the truth for sure. I didnt realize this game was against belarus this isent even a competition. Mcdonald could have a tea and crumpet in net.

Thats the truth for sure. I didnt realize this game was against belarus this isent even a competition. Mcdonald could have a tea and crumpet in net.

I thought it would be one-sided. I had hoped the Bella Russians would surprise. McDonald is almost done reading War and Peace. Is Hickey out there? I have not seen him yet.

I thought it would be one-sided. I had hoped the Bella Russians would surprise. McDonald is almost done reading War and Peace. Is Hickey out there? I have not seen him yet.

I have not seen him, maybe him and sanheim are sitting since I think we still have 8 D.

Nevermind just saw him, hes just playing 3rd pairing minutes. hes #6

Hickey played solid, but I don't think he'll make the team unless it's the 7th dman. I think Fleury, Mckeowen, Hickets, Juellson and sanheim are locks and Chabot-Hickey -Dermont were battling for that last top 6 spot but I think Chabot is emerging. He played quite well and by the sounds of things has played the best all camp.

Still a game to go and I think Hickey has an edge on the 7th spot but baring a huge change I don't think he'll be playing a major role this WJC.

I also agree with Jtech above, Brodie and Hickey arnt that similar. Skating ability yes, but at the same age Brodie already showed high end hockey sense especially offensively. He had a tremendous ability at 19 to read the play and know when y ou jump in and you don't see that in Hickey. Hickey reminds me of Nicklas Hjarlmarsson. Very good skater who has upper end defensive IQ, great stick and defensive reads but doesn't translate that reading ability to offence. Both make a good first pass but neither are going to lead a rush too often.

He will be 20 in April but be it 18 or 20 he still is playing well for his age. Has improvement to make but his skating and d zone awareness are advanced for his age IMO.

What will be interesting to watch after e tournament is does hickey at all consider red deer? I posted in this thread earlier that Hickey's rights were traded to red deer in the off season and while at the time I would have said it's unlikely BU is having a tough season. They just lost AJ Greer to the QMJHL, one of their best player to injury and they had to suspend someone for gambling. Not to mention, hickeys d partner is Hayden Fleury so does all of this combine with the fact he would play in a memorial cup sway his decision? I'm not sure it does but I don't think it's as clear cut as it was in the offseason. What a junior career he would have to play in a championship in 3 different levels of hockey, pretty special stuff.

The more I watch Hickey play the more I like what I see on the ice. He isn't flashy, but always seems to make the right play pray least the safe play. He uses his skating ability to cut down gaps and they should use videos of him to show young defenders how to play the player and not the puck on 1on1 situations.

The more I watch Hickey play the more I like what I see on the ice. He isn't flashy, but always seems to make the right play pray least the safe play. He uses his skating ability to cut down gaps and they should use videos of him to show young defenders how to play the player and not the puck on 1on1 situations.

Agreed. His defensive awarness and IQ is well above average. so good at closing gaps.

the next step for him is going to be trying to translate his great skating into some more offence. already in this game i've seen a copule of pinches but generally he plays an overly safe game IMO. That can be taught so i'm not concerned but thats the next step i'd like to see. if he can make that transition, the Flames are really going to have a player on their hands. Sky is the limit if he can learn to take some smart chances. 

Archived