Brandon Hickey

Agreed. His defensive awarness and IQ is well above average. so good at closing gaps.

the next step for him is going to be trying to translate his great skating into some more offence. already in this game i've seen a copule of pinches but generally he plays an overly safe game IMO. That can be tought so i'm not concerend but thats the next step i'd like to see. if he can make that transition, the Flames are really going to have a player on their hands. Sky is the limit if he can learn to take some smart chances.

Yeah I would like to see him use his skating ability to rush the puck more.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BU's season is done. Lost 7-2 to Denver in what has to be a bit of a dissapointing end to the season.

I can't imagine he would leave but be interesting to see if there is any chatter at all about Hickey turning pro. I wouldn't mind to see it actually but I doubt it will happen. I see him going back for at least 1 more season.

BU's season is done. Lost 7-2 to Denver in what has to be a bit of a dissapointing end to the season.

I can't imagine he would leave but be interesting to see if there is any chatter at all about Hickey turning pro. I wouldn't mind to see it actually but I doubt it will happen. I see him going back for at least 1 more season.

I would hope all parties involved decide to have Hickey stay at least one more season in the NCAA.  Not a great season, and from what I understand, his last few games prior to the playoffs have not been good.  I think Andersson is more ready for pro.  Even Ollas-Mattsson might be a better option right now.

I kind of hope he goes pro, BU doesn't really train defensemen to rush the puck, they want defensemen to be puck movers not puck luggers.

I think that goes against a big part of his game. He has great wheels, I would like to see him be given the chance to use it more.

If he doesn't go pro, I would like to see him leave BU and go too the WHL.

I kind of hope he goes pro, BU doesn't really train defensemen to rush the puck, they want defensemen to be puck movers not puck luggers.

I think that goes against a big part of his game. He has great wheels, I would like to see him be given the chance to use it more.

I would be fine with the WHL route.  I think Hickey is going to be a longer term project.  At least one more year in the minors before starting in the AHL.

I dont think red deer who holds his rights would be a better option for him at this point. I also dont really see him leaving university to go play in the WHL.

If Hickey went anywhere it should be pro and to the AHL so Flames can have more say in the development. I don't have any more fait in Brent Sutter's ability to develop Hickey than I do BU, and keep in mind Sutter doesn't like Dmen rushing the puck either. 

I agree its not likely he leaves but I personally would like to see him do it. While I still like Hickey I don't think BU is fully maximizing his skill set and i'd like to see him get with a coach like Huska who has been great at developing dmen. 

Not surprise, but slightly dissapointed. Only upsdie to this is maybe he can play with Dante Fabbro. Top D prospect for this year's draft who has commited to BU/

Pat Steinberg@Fan960Steinberg 8m8 minutes ago

#Flames GM Brad Treliving confirms Brandon Hickey will return to Boston University for his junior season.

Yeah it's a little bit disappointing, hopefully with some seniors moving on Hickey can take more of an offensive role with BU next year.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Brandon Hickey is playing in the Beanpot and their first game is on TSN2 tonight at 6pm MST.

If you happen to watch it, can you give yur impressions of him?  I have been a bit worried that he has fallen off, both on the defensive and offensive sides of his game.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you happen to watch it, can you give yur impressions of him?  I have been a bit worried that he has fallen off, both on the defensive and offensive sides of his game.

I have his game and Fox's game set to record. If I don't get to it tonight, I will watch it at some point this week.

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I have his game and Fox's game set to record. If I don't get to it tonight, I will watch it at some point this week.

Appreciate it.  Don't get the extra cost TSN channels myself.  Bad enough to have to pay extra just to get the SN West channel here.  Anything on SN360 is a no-go too.  

Here are my impressions from Hickey's game against Boston College tonight.

Tremendous and effortless skater.

Excellent defensive instincts. Great cap control, and knows when to use his great skating ability to close gaps and takes away time and space from the offensive player. New age shut down defenseman.

Looks really confident on the ice.

Not afraid to jump up into the play, joins the rush. Skated the puck down into the offensive corner on a few occasions.

BU has a power house D core that includes 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick. There are some NHL teams that don't have that many picks in their lineup. If Hickey was playing on a lesser college team he would be the guy on the blueline and his offensive stats would take a significant jump.

Watching him tonight confirmed in my mind that Hickey is one our top defensive prospects, if he isn't the top defensive prospect.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to watch the Beanpot games finally and I agree with JTech, Hickey is still my number one Flames D prospect. Such a great skater combined with very good hockey iq. His offensive game hasn't started to come around too although the still generally plays a very safe game, but he can move the puck with a very gird first pass. 

Biggest thing I took away though was his utilization. BU uses him everywhere and he's one of their top 3 dman. Number 1 PKer and they still use him on the PP too although McCavoy and Krys take the bulk of that. However, there should be no worry that he is being buried, Quinn really uses him. He got knocked out of the Beanpot final on a big hit and you could see their depth take a real hit when he left. Fabbro didn't look quite the same after that. 

I hope he goes pro but so far he's developing nicely. 

• 1 month later...

BU was elimated from the NCAA tourney so Hickey is now free to sign. My gut, and the buzz, seems to be that he will but it also sounds like Bruins wants to turn McAvoy pro so Hickey would likely return as the number one pair with fabbro next year so him staying isn't the worst thing either, if that's were the case. 

I still think he needs to go pro. I think BU is utilizing him too much in a defensive role and stunting some of his offence. I hope Flames sign him this year and next year he plays in Stockton. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

BU was elimated from the NCAA tourney so Hickey is now free to sign. My gut, and the buzz, seems to be that he will but it also sounds like Bruins wants to turn McAvoy pro so Hickey would likely return as the number one pair with fabbro next year so him staying isn't the worst thing either, if that's were the case. 

I still think he needs to go pro. I think BU is utilizing him too much in a defensive role and stunting some of his offence. I hope Flames sign him this year and next year he plays in Stockton. 

How many D would that give us in the A? 

Kylington

Andersson

Kulak

Wotherspoon

Culkin

etc.

New Guy just signed, other guy in trade. 

Is there room for him?

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

How many D would that give us in the A? 

Kylington

Andersson

Kulak

Wotherspoon

Culkin

etc.

New Guy just signed, other guy in trade. 

Is there room for him?

I dont think culkin or wotherspoon stay with the team past this summer. Im assuming healy and hickey(if signed)  would be given some chance to prove themselves to finish off the AHL season over guys like wotherspoon or culkin.

Not to mention andersson is with the big club, and there is nothing say they wont call up another D man for the playoff run.

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think culkin or wotherspoon stay with the team past this summer. Im assuming healy and hickey(if signed)  would be given some chance to prove themselves to finish off the AHL season over guys like wotherspoon or culkin.

Not to mention andersson is with the big club, and there is nothing say they wont call up another D man for the playoff run.

Yeah I don't see any reason that Hickey wouldn't play college again next season. We are stacking up LSD within the pipeline now. I wouldn't be shocked to see Andersson make the team next season, he appears to have the maturity and talent. I think you are likely correct when it comes to Wotherspoon and Culkin, both are at that age where if they haven't cracked the ML roster by now never will here.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Yeah I don't see any reason that Hickey wouldn't play college again next season. We are stacking up LSD within the pipeline now. I wouldn't be shocked to see Andersson make the team next season, he appears to have the maturity and talent. I think you are likely correct when it comes to Wotherspoon and Culkin, both are at that age where if they haven't cracked the ML roster by now never will here.

Im assuming you mean would play college?

I dont see any reason for him to go back either, they are stacked at D and it only keeps getting better for them. Hickey would do well to develop a bit in the AAA, and I actually wouldnt be suprised to see him get to the show before kylington.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Right now, even without Hickey, the Flames have 8 D in Stockton.  Kulak is injured, but they will likely play Healey right now, as well as Ollas-Mattsson.  Wotherspoon can easily be sat along with Culkin.  Kostka is playing pretty well.

As far as Hickey going back to college, they probably want him to sign now, to get him under Flames control.  They also don't want to let it go to his final season, and risk losing him. 

Archived