Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

I think it is time to realize that BT is not doing his job it is totally obvious he has not addressed the goalie problem from last 2 yrs and still walking around with blinders on hoping his decision on goalies have not failed. Time to own up and do something about it if you do not have confidence in the men in the A's then you better start looking. To allow the oilers to beat us 4 straight with bad goal tending and stand pat with what you have tells me you only care about your arrogant self and not the team. Some one in management better stand up and say enough stop the bleeding .   

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, BT apparently doesn't have a contract for next season. I wonder how much pressure he has to make the playoffs this season. 

We are a better team than last season so there is improvement so we are trending the right way.  Is that enough for Burke to extend BT long term? 

Are we better?

Last season we thought the addition of Hamilton, the emergence of Bennett,  the continued improvement of Brodie Gadreau and Monahan was a large improvement to our team. Some were saying we had best D in league....

Apparently we were wrong then (we failed to make the playoffs) and we are poised to fail to make the playoffs again(recent losses).

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well, BT apparently doesn't have a contract for next season. I wonder how much pressure he has to make the playoffs this season. 

We are a better team than last season so there is improvement so we are trending the right way.  Is that enough for Burke to extend BT long term? 

BT has dine well with assets and trades. However this club has become the opposite of what BB wanted. I think he gets signed I don't see any reason he doesn't but he has not hit a home run with anything either, He is better than Feaster,

5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Are we better?

Last season we thought the addition of Hamilton, the emergence of Bennett,  the continued improvement of Brodie Gadreau and Monahan was a large improvement to our team. Some were saying we had best D in league....

Apparently we were wrong then (we failed to make the playoffs) and we are poised to fail to make the playoffs again(recent losses).

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

BT has dine well with assets and trades. However this club has become the opposite of what BB wanted. I think he gets signed I don't see any reason he doesn't but he has not hit a home run with anything either, He is better than Feaster,

I feel like BT has some pressure to make the playoffs this year because he hasn't been extended yet.  Which, is not a good thing in my opinion.  I'd prefer the slow and steady approach due to where the Flames are right now.  I'd rather he approach TDL as sellers and load up/save the bullets for next season.  But, if he's not back next season... 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I feel like BT has some pressure to make the playoffs this year because he hasn't been extended yet.  Which, is not a good thing in my opinion.  I'd prefer the slow and steady approach due to where the Flames are right now.  I'd rather he approach TDL as sellers and load up/save the bullets for next season.  But, if he's not back next season... 

When the moment of change is in question, you best have a better candidate already than what you have.

21 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree with you completely. Dont take what I said in the GDT last night the wrong way, im just frustrated as well.

Moving on though the teams plays well for the most part, but they just make these huge mistakes that are costing them goals. How many times last night did did we see JG turn it over at the opponents blue line, I know hes trying to create but this is killing us. The list goes on and on of personal mistakes, as in ferland losing his coverage last night on 2? or was it 3 goals? I dont remember. Anyways my point is you can see what GG wants them to do, we have seen what GG wants from the team, but its frustrating when these guys like kevin last night have these weird mental lapses that lead to goals.

Its totally on the players at this point, I dont get their issues.

Meh, all good just an opinion and we vary a lot.

Far to often JG is left alone with no back up either the line mates are at the net or not up with the play. He gets double teamed, he moves the puck to quick cause of being hacked and slashed. Gully stated they had a plan but didn't stick with it at all. I hate to repeat myself but the GG systems are simple they do not exemplify the skill if our skilled guys. Really when you view all of this all the guys who play simple hockey or the way he wants flourish, Chuky, Ferland, Backs, Frohlick, Hamitlon, England. So as amny whos game have elevated the production is drastically reduced. The systems wneh executed are far better, but these systems are not great for 5 v 5 hockey.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Meh, all good just an opinion and we vary a lot.

Far to often JG is left alone with no back up either the line mates are at the net or not up with the play. He gets double teamed, he moves the puck to quick cause of being hacked and slashed. Gully stated they had a plan but didn't stick with it at all. I hate to repeat myself but the GG systems are simple they do not exemplify the skill if our skilled guys. Really when you view all of this all the guys who play simple hockey or the way he wants flourish, Chuky, Ferland, Backs, Frohlick, Hamitlon, England. So as amny whos game have elevated the production is drastically reduced. The systems wneh executed are far better, but these systems are not great for 5 v 5 hockey.

I would say that when the system is executed well, it resembles a road game.  Low danger.  Low event.  It does benefit lesser skilled lines.  Where the MMM line is successful is in creating turnovers and tiring out the other team by holding onto the puck. McDavid managed nothing when MMM were on the ice.  

The lack of success can be seen in the pairing of Brodie/Wideman.  One is incapable of possession.  The other is playing on the side they don't seem to excel on.  Brodie falls back into his usual style of skating the puck out, but is playing on a side he isn't used to or comfortable with.  Nobody else seems to be aware of when he is going to do it, so the defensive coverage is not set up.  Wideman may be back, but everyone is waiting to see if Brodie skates back or they have to cover for him.

Anyway, just some observations.  

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that when the system is executed well, it resembles a road game.  Low danger.  Low event.  It does benefit lesser skilled lines.  Where the MMM line is successful is in creating turnovers and tiring out the other team by holding onto the puck. McDavid managed nothing when MMM were on the ice.  

The lack of success can be seen in the pairing of Brodie/Wideman.  One is incapable of possession.  The other is playing on the side they don't seem to excel on.  Brodie falls back into his usual style of skating the puck out, but is playing on a side he isn't used to or comfortable with.  Nobody else seems to be aware of when he is going to do it, so the defensive coverage is not set up.  Wideman may be back, but everyone is waiting to see if Brodie skates back or they have to cover for him.

Anyway, just some observations.  

I think we need to stop making excuses for Brodie, especially regarding the LS stuff. He played LS before he moved and played RS with Giordano. He has always been slightly reckless and not strong in the D zone checking people. Giordano provided strong support for Brodie where as Wideman does not, change to a similar RS partner that can support Brodie's style of play and I think we see the old Brodie more confident with his own play.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/friedman-not-convinced-treliving-flames-gm-next-year/

Interesting take from Friedman about Treliving's future. Friedman doesn't think Treliving will be back next year regardless if the team makes the playoffs or not. I found it interesting that another GM in the league was asking Friedman what was going on in Calgary with Treliving's contract status. They were also talking about the rumors that Calgary is a tough place to work because ownership and upper management might be more involved than most GM's would like.

Friedman has mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised to see Wideman get moved as Calgary has been trying to move him for a few years now.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think we need to stop making excuses for Brodie, especially regarding the LS stuff. He played LS before he moved and played RS with Giordano. He has always been slightly reckless and not strong in the D zone checking people. Giordano provided strong support for Brodie where as Wideman does not, change to a similar RS partner that can support Brodie's style of play and I think we see the old Brodie more confident with his own play.

If you recall correctly, Gio struggled last year until Brodie came back from injury.  I don't have the stats in front of me for the split between RD and LD, so I can only base it on the eye test the last few years.  I remember Brodie making very smart plays in the D-zone last year, but don't see them this year.  What I do see is Brodie missing easy plays because he is facing the towards the D-zone and having to make a play on the boards on his backhand.  Yet his backhand passes from the RD have always looked crisp, if a little risky.

All I can attest to is with 100% certainty is that Brodie-Wideman does not look good most nights.  Does bringing in another RD fix that or just change the partner.  Don't know for sure.  Brodie has gone from quiet conversation of WCH and Norris to worst on the team.  Worst plus/minus in the league.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you recall correctly, Gio struggled last year until Brodie came back from injury.  I don't have the stats in front of me for the split between RD and LD, so I can only base it on the eye test the last few years.  I remember Brodie making very smart plays in the D-zone last year, but don't see them this year.  What I do see is Brodie missing easy plays because he is facing the towards the D-zone and having to make a play on the boards on his backhand.  Yet his backhand passes from the RD have always looked crisp, if a little risky.

All I can attest to is with 100% certainty is that Brodie-Wideman does not look good most nights.  Does bringing in another RD fix that or just change the partner.  Don't know for sure.  Brodie has gone from quiet conversation of WCH and Norris to worst on the team.  Worst plus/minus in the league.

Unfortunately we will have to live through it for a while longer yet.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/friedman-not-convinced-treliving-flames-gm-next-year/

Interesting take from Friedman about Treliving's future. Friedman doesn't think Treliving will be back next year regardless if the team makes the playoffs or not. I found it interesting that another GM in the league was asking Friedman what was going on in Calgary with Treliving's contract status. They were also talking about the rumors that Calgary is a tough place to work because ownership and upper management might be more involved than most GM's would like.

Friedman has mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised to see Wideman get moved as Calgary has been trying to move him for a few years now.

Some joke Brian Burke may want to get back to GM.  

I don't know what to say because I give BT a B+ up to this point.  I think he is learning and has been improving.   Who would come in and do an A+ job? We narrowly escaped Jim Benning for crying out loud. 

there are also rumors floating that Burke may be a candidate to run USA Hockey as they are looking for a new leader. Not sure if that is credible but that is being floated out there. Perhaps could be related.

I'll say this, if the Flames don't bring back Treliving i think we are in for a very, very dark period for the Calgary Flames. Not that Treliving is special, but if you can't give a GM more than 3 years to do a job and fire him because you want to be in the playoffs that will tell me 2 things. 1 (as has been feared for a while) Flames ownership is too involved and 2- they will never be committed to winning a cup because they lack the patience it takes to get one. 

to even consider having 3 GMs in the span of less than 8 years should be completely unacceptable for a franchise. You will never win doing that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

there are also rumors floating that Burke may be a candidate to run USA Hockey as they are looking for a new leader. Not sure if that is credible but that is being floated out there. Perhaps could be related.

I'll say this, if the Flames don't bring back Treliving i think we are in for a very, very dark period for the Calgary Flames. Not that Treliving is special, but if you can't give a GM more than 3 years to do a job and fire him because you want to be in the playoffs that will tell me 2 things. 1 (as has been feared for a while) Flames ownership is too involved and 2- they will never be committed to winning a cup because they lack the patience it takes to get one. 

to even consider that having 3 GMs in the span of less than 8 years should be completely unacceptable for a franchise. You will never win doing that. 

I'll chime in...the avg tenure for a NHL GM is 7 years.

I'm a little curious that Friedman is jumping on this one, for me, he's mistaken or this is going to get odd.

I have to believe Friedman is incorrect, BT has not been an atrocity, by any stretch. Easy to see he puts in the time and effort.

I wonder if Dale Tallon would be interested in the GM job. He was rumored as being a replacement for Garth Snow. 

Tallon pretty much put together the core in Chicago, and had Florida going in the right direction before he was pushed aside for a more analytics based front office.

Just a thought. I am totally fine with bringing Treliving back, I just wonder if they looking for a more experienced guy like Tallon.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

to even consider having 3 GMs in the span of less than 8 years should be completely unacceptable for a franchise. You will never win doing that. 

I would hope that the plan is to move BT up to POHO, and bring in a GM that he can work with.  I suppose you could use Maloney in one of those two roles.  I am comfortable with BT, in that he does not make huge mistakes.  He is a good negotiator.  If anything, he fails a bit in the trade market.  Russell brought back enough at the time, but we haven't really added anything in trade that has helped this year.  Bollig, Jokipakka and Pollock don't really cut it.  Elliott didn't really pan out as expected, though that's not on BT for making the trade.  It's as much an indictment of the team this year. 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would hope that the plan is to move BT up to POHO, and bring in a GM that he can work with.  I suppose you could use Maloney in one of those two roles.  I am comfortable with BT, in that he does not make huge mistakes.  He is a good negotiator.  If anything, he fails a bit in the trade market.  Russell brought back enough at the time, but we haven't really added anything in trade that has helped this year.  Bollig, Jokipakka and Pollock don't really cut it.  Elliott didn't really pan out as expected, though that's not on BT for making the trade.  It's as much an indictment of the team this year. 

I think you're a little overly critical on his trades. Those ones didn't really involve anything and aren't ones that you consider blockbuster, or meant to make a huge difference. 

You fail to mention the Hamilton deal and I think everyone thought the Elliott deal was very good. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'll chime in...the avg tenure for a NHL GM is 7 years.

I'm a little curious that Friedman is jumping on this one, for me, he's mistaken or this is going to get odd.

I have to believe Friedman is incorrect, BT has not been an atrocity, by any stretch. Easy to see he puts in the time and effort.

Friedman is a buffoon who is always grasping at straws to keep his name coming up. BT isn't going anywhere, the guy is a good GM.

If they thought he was a good GM he'd have a new contract by now. I have no problem with what BT has done. I have agreed with most of what he has done, it's just the moves haven't really worked out like they seemed they would. Players haven't played up to their standards consistently and work ethic hasn't been there. Sitting a 20 year old when a team's veterans are playing poorly seems misguided to. I know he hasn't played well but if you do it with him do it with everyone else. As an Atlanta Falcons fan, my interest has been drawn away from the troubles of this team the past few weeks but I have watched the losses and it has been frustrating. It has also shown me what a real leader can do when I watch and listen to Dan Quinn coach the Falcons. Leadership is missing on this team. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Dale Tallon would be interested in the GM job. He was rumored as being a replacement for Garth Snow. 

Tallon pretty much put together the core in Chicago, and had Florida going in the right direction before he was pushed aside for a more analytics based front office.

Just a thought. I am totally fine with bringing Treliving back, I just wonder if they looking for a more experienced guy like Tallon.

Dave "Tank Job" Tallon?  I wouldn't mind but I do feel the Flames should be past the tanking phase and should be on the up and up.

Tallon would be great for a team looking to strip it down to bare bones and live in the basement for a few years.  

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not that Treliving is special, but if you can't give a GM more than 3 years to do a job and fire him because you want to be in the playoffs that will tell me 2 things. 1 (as has been feared for a while) Flames ownership is too involved and 2- they will never be committed to winning a cup because they lack the patience it takes to get one. 

Ya man.  I understand the urge to win the Cup but it takes time and ownership seems to be in a rush.  Maybe it helps them get a new arena?  Or maybe they are old farts who don't have much time remaining?

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dave "Tank Job" Tallon?  I wouldn't mind but I do feel the Flames should be past the tanking phase and should be on the up and up.

Tallon would be great for a team looking to strip it down to bare bones and live in the basement for a few years.  

I think that was something we had to do 2 or 3 years ago. Making the playoffs now looks like it hurt us a bit more than it helped due to not having that high pick that year. Although, that pick is Hamilton I think?

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The reason gio struggled was he himself had just come back from injury, not because he missed Brodie. Gio was partnered with Hamilton too and they just did not do well while Hamilton was learning the new systems.

I agree with you Brodie has to learn covering the boards backwards again. He had learned to use his backhand to advantage. We must all remember that Brodie is also dealing with personal problems. His wife recently has been sick. 

If my wife sends me out to get bread, and they don't have any, is it my fault? 

Translation: BT can't trade for someone who's not available, or who would cost us assets we couldn't afford to lose. 

BT has done a remarkable job for this franchise given what's been available at the time, and when you consider the kind of money that's being thrown at player contracts. 

- Signing Mony and Johnny for under $7mil - amazing

- Nabbing Hamilton from Boston - incredible

- Grabbing Elliott, who was stellar for the Blues in the recent playoffs, and on an expiring contract ... instead of Bishop who was looking for a big pay day (and could still be an option to us when his contract expires this year) - brilliant

- Chad Johnson? Wow. 

- Not picking up Lucic for big money, thank the lord!

- The assets he got back for Kris Russell, Glencross... 

Sure, I've disagreed with some moves like Brouwer and our coach, but given what his options were at the time? So what if he picked up the RC cola when Coke wasn't available. He's still gotta design a roster that improves upon previous years, and keep important pieces locked down, and I think he's done a tremendous job at doing just that. 

My my beef is with the coach. The doom and gloom look is back behind the bench and I think it's resonating with the players.