Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

I think Smid is definitely LTIR to start the season, so BT can go over the cap up to his salary.  Not that he will, but it gives some options.  May see BT pick up an unsigned RFA or one nearing arbitration.  Rakell or Hayes would be options.  Would love to get Kucherov, but no way we have anything worth him in trade.  

Other than that, it will probably be September when the trades and Stockton signings start.  AHL deals to fill up the remaining spots with at least one vet.  Dev Camp invites that impress will get signed.  Maybe one or two before then.  Nakladal will probably only happen after Johnny and Monahan sign, but I think the intent from both sides is to get the deal done.  He'll get signed prior to WC. though, as he would need to be insured.

Yes re the Nakladal factor and WC, which I guess also means JG & SM aren't playing either unless they sign their deals.

Yes re the Nakladal factor and WC, which I guess also means JG & SM aren't playing either unless they sign their deals.

I don't worry about Monahan and Johnny signing.  It will happen by WC.  It's only July, so there is a lot of time.  I think the Nakladal deal is basically in place, just not going to be finalized until after the big deals get done.  Nakladal wanted to come to Calgary and wants to come back.  The Flames like him.  The fact that he hasn't signed anywhere else kind of gives you an idea of the discussions they have already had.  

I think we hear nothing until the JG/SM contracts get done. Lest Wideman and Smid magically disappear. With about $15mil to the cap ceiling we're definitely strapped.

I believe there still has to be some fancy footwork if we're going to be able to do anything outside of the big signings, money's all gone.

I don't worry about Monahan and Johnny signing.  It will happen by WC.  It's only July, so there is a lot of time.  I think the Nakladal deal is basically in place, just not going to be finalized until after the big deals get done.  Nakladal wanted to come to Calgary and wants to come back.  The Flames like him.  The fact that he hasn't signed anywhere else kind of gives you an idea of the discussions they have already had.  

I was wondering about that too and thought the same thing about Nakladal. He must have a deal ready in hand and just have to submit it once there's an idea of what the cap space is like? But then again, we're allowed to go over a certain amount. 

I wonder if being right up against the cap, would that make it harder for Brad Treliving to trade a Wideman, or give him less leverage? 

I was wondering about that too and thought the same thing about Nakladal. He must have a deal ready in hand and just have to submit it once there's an idea of what the cap space is like? But then again, we're allowed to go over a certain amount. 

I wonder if being right up against the cap, would that make it harder for Brad Treliving to trade a Wideman, or give him less leverage? 

I think any time you are trading a player for cap space reasons you don't have alot of leverage. Rigth from the get go I think the Flames have had very little leverage in any Wideman trade and I think anytime that cap space if more valuable to you then the player, your leverage is gone. 

I don't disagree that deals/further business is being held up in order to get Johnny/Mony signed but I'm skeptical Nak is part of that mainly becuase I am to the point now where I don't think Wideman is moving. If they coudl move Wideman I think they would have by now but I think there either isn't a market or he doesn't want to move and has used his NMC (speculation on my part but I think its interesting how quickly the trade chatter died on Wideman). 

It would be good to have Nakladal for when they do unload Wideman.

It would be good to have Nakladal for when they do unload Wideman.

Also, I think he is perfect for someone to rotate in and out of the lineup as a 7th man and injury duty. There will be injuries and I think his play was great for what he brings, 3rd pairing D that doesn't hurt you often.

I really really get worried longer the monny and johnny contracts take cause i dont want it going till next year cause then they can try to milk it even higher cause they can use the higher or walk term cause they know how good they are to this team

Well they cant necessarily walk, they can hold out and I believe mony is offer sheet is eligible while JH is not. Holding out in this league doesnt necessarily accomplish anything, as we have seen with drouin etc. I dont think any smart agent would advise his client to hold, but I really see this being a non issue anyways.

Well they cant necessarily walk, they can hold out and I believe mony is offer sheet is eligible while JH is not. Holding out in this league doesnt necessarily accomplish anything, as we have seen with drouin etc. I dont think any smart agent would advise his client to hold, but I really see this being a non issue anyways.

I believe they both want to play World's and will be signed by the end of August, and hopefully before.  If they are so foolish as to hold out (very much doubt it, virtually no chance of happening)  BT would hold firm as the team is not under ANY circumstances going to be held hostage by a player(s), and would just make due with whoever they had that wanted to play.  

I believe they both want to play World's and will be signed by the end of August, and hopefully before.  If they are so foolish as to hold out (very much doubt it, virtually no chance of happening)  BT would hold firm as the team is not under ANY circumstances going to be held hostage by a player(s), and would just make due with whoever they had that wanted to play.  

I hope they don't play in these Worlds and get to camp here. What a stupid time for a Tournament.

I hope they don't play in these Worlds and get to camp here. What a stupid time for a Tournament.

Totally agree for the start of the season and for a team with so many changes happening all at once.  However, from the hockey purists, this is the only time to get a "best on best" tournament outside of the Olympics, and even that is problematic with all the injuries at that point in the season.

Timing is bad, but the level of competition will be better for them as players.  Let's face it, these guys will benefit from playing high level games.  The only problem I have with the tourney is potential injury worry.

Also, I think he is perfect for someone to rotate in and out of the lineup as a 7th man and injury duty. There will be injuries and I think his play was great for what he brings, 3rd pairing D that doesn't hurt you often.

Agreed. But I am sure he has had those offers. He wants opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else a little concerned about the Burke influence following the world hockey championship?

Terrible decision on the coach. Very questionable roster decisions. A clear adherence to an old school philosophy that is no longer relevant in todays NHL.

I am glad he isn't the GM on Calgary. But he does set the direction and thst is a little concerning to me.

Is anyone else a little concerned about the Burke influence following the world hockey championship?

Terrible decision on the coach. Very questionable roster decisions. A clear adherence to an old school philosophy that is no longer relevant in todays NHL.

I am glad he isn't the GM on Calgary. But he does set the direction and thst is a little concerning to me.

He wasn't the GM of Team USA, he isn't the GM of the Flames.  The Flames are clearly not going primarily in that direction.  Why the concern?  

I get the concern. Team USA was so poorly built and made a critical error in bulding the team as Lombardi admitted today. Fine that they came to the conclusion they coudln't go blow for blow talent wise with Canada as that makes perfect sense, but for their answer to be well then we'll build a more physical team to stop them that is concerning. Its a 180 from the way the league is going so I get what Kehatch is saying.

However, picking a Team for a Tournament and building an NHL club are very different things so i'm not concerend. The management of Team USA focusses way too much on trying to beat Canada and not the overal makeup of their roster and so far Burke has given not indication that he has or would do the same in the NHL. 

Becomes a non issue now that Smid isn't going to play this year and is going to go on LTIR. Wasn't an issue before anyway but certainly isn't one now. 

I’m not sure how $0.63 against the Cap is a non issue?  Many here thought Bouma’s extra $0.5 was the end of the world, but anyways………

I’m curious to see what BT has in mind for Smid’s available $3.5.

I’m not sure how $0.63 against the Cap is a non issue? Many here thought Bouma’s extra $0.5 was the end of the world, but anyways………

I’m curious to see what BT has in mind for Smid’s available $3.5.

Doesn't chance or affect what they want to do. That's why I saw a non issue. Certainly not as big an issue as some fans thing.

Doesn't chance or affect what they want to do. That's why I saw a non issue. Certainly not as big an issue as some fans thing.

If a player reaches his performance bonus, then everyone usually benefits.

Now that Smid announced he will not play this year, does BT have access to those $’s now or at a later date?

As we all can see the NHL is going in a direction more to speed and finesse rather than Brute strength and players like JH and Mangi can and will thrive in the new NHL. Of course there will still be room for Drama but it is not the clutch and grab game it use to be and the policing isn't as predominant any more