Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Bigger question is which prospects of theirs are any good, do you know ?

Maybe we can just stop talking about Oilers here.  Lost of discussion in the NHL Talk, Oilers thread.

BT has done a good job selecting players that appear to be NHL capable.  Whether they make the NHL is anyone's guess at this point.

Know again never said they were any good but are you telling me with out prejudiced that none of there kids are any good? So with all the 2nd and third rounders never made it passed the AHL and never will? plus  you think  Jesse Puljujarvi  he is a wash as well? So no one on there prospect can hold a candle to our kids correct?

13 minutes ago, zima said:

Know again never said they were any good but are you telling me with out prejudiced that none of there kids are any good? So with all the 2nd and third rounders never made it passed the AHL and never will? plus  you think  Jesse Puljujarvi  he is a wash as well? So no one on there prospect can hold a candle to our kids correct?

Again, please move this discussion out of this thread to the Oilers thread.  

BT has gone over-the-top trying to build the team from the net out, and I agree with that.

The "upgrades" in net haven't been working out. Inheriting Hiller, Ramo...

The 3 headed monster, okay, that approach didn't work...

Elliott-Johnson...

Now it's Smith-Lack.

Nice grabs with Hamilton, (Stone, Bartkowski), Hamonic.

() - in a time of need...

That's a passing grade, easy. Pretty much epic.

Huge BUT though, the work at the forward ranks is subpar.

Our forward roster, in the right now, sorry to anyone that finds this breaking news, isn't gonna cut 'er.

We don't have enough up front to intimidate the top teams.

Another point is Bennett's handling...wtf?

He has definitely spent on D, next year is  definitely "O" right?:unsure:

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

BT has gone over-the-top trying to build the team from the net out, and I agree with that.

The "upgrades" in net haven't been working out. Inheriting Hiller, Ramo...

The 3 headed monster, okay, that approach didn't work...

Elliott-Johnson...

Now it's Smith-Lack.

Nice grabs with Hamilton, (Stone, Bartkowski), Hamonic.

() - in a time of need...

That's a passing grade, easy. Pretty much epic.

Huge BUT though, the work at the forward ranks is subpar.

Our forward roster, in the right now, sorry to anyone that finds this breaking news, isn't gonna cut 'er.

We don't have enough up front to intimidate the top teams.

Another point is Bennett's handling...wtf?

He has definitely spent on D, next year is  definitely "O" right?:unsure:

I think if the bennett line was producing more consistently last season we arent even having the discussion about our forward group. Im not going to say we need our 3rd line center to produce 60 points, but the 3rd line does need to be a threat. Personally I like our forward group, and I think if ferland finds consistency this season and bennett plays a bit better offensively we will have a very dangerous group up front. 

Johnny-mony-ferland

Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer

Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg

Stajan-Janko-Lazar

I dont want to sound like a homer, but with the exception of brouwer up front in the top 9 thats a pretty good looking group. I dont even mind the 4th line in that group, im hoping lazar can show a bit more like he did in the few games he got into last season. But if you ask me the flames forward group should be fine this season, I know everyone thinks ferland is a sink hole, but I think he has the speed and hands to be successful on that line. Ferland doesnt need to put up 60 points to be a successful first line RW, if he put up 35-40 I would be more then happy with him in that spot. Bennett, tkachuk and versteeg should be successful, bennett/versteeg had some success together near the end of the season, adding tkachuk to that mix should be a good step. Brouwer hopefully has a bounce back season with backlund and then I dont think anyone is complaining about our forwards.

TLDR- I like the flames top 9 and even the 4th line looks good with janko/lazar there.

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think if the bennett line was producing more consistently last season we arent even having the discussion about our forward group. Im not going to say we need our 3rd line center to produce 60 points, but the 3rd line does need to be a threat. Personally I like our forward group, and I think if ferland finds consistency this season and bennett plays a bit better offensively we will have a very dangerous group up front. 

Johnny-mony-ferland

Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer

Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg

Stajan-Janko-Lazar

I dont want to sound like a homer, but with the exception of brouwer up front in the top 9 thats a pretty good looking group. I dont even mind the 4th line in that group, im hoping lazar can show a bit more like he did in the few games he got into last season. But if you ask me the flames forward group should be fine this season, I know everyone thinks ferland is a sink hole, but I think he has the speed and hands to be successful on that line. Ferland doesnt need to put up 60 points to be a successful first line RW, if he put up 35-40 I would be more then happy with him in that spot. Bennett, tkachuk and versteeg should be successful, bennett/versteeg had some success together near the end of the season, adding tkachuk to that mix should be a good step. Brouwer hopefully has a bounce back season with backlund and then I dont think anyone is complaining about our forwards.

TLDR- I like the flames top 9 and even the 4th line looks good with janko/lazar there.

Here is a "what if" for everyone and I know it is a big one but possible. What if Spenser Foo is the answer for Gaudreau and Monahan on our top pairing who will be entering their 4th season. This allows the rest of our forward group to be set up in its best format.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Foo

Ferland, Backlund, Frolik

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Versteeg, Jankowski, Brouwer

Stajan, Hamilton

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think realistically our biggest concern will be goal tending we have at leat 4 or 5 top D that can handle to top min we have  forward lines that can handle both the tuff offensive minutes and give the other team all they can handle in the aggressive end of things if they put MrT Bennett and Lazar or Brouwer on a line together with the new additions like perhaps Foo and Janko or poirier I can't see why we can't get passed the second round for a change if not then we are looking at another goal tending change perhaps by then one of our own will step up. I can't see them putting the losses on BT's head but when it comes to loseing in the NHL you just never know who's going to get the axe

He's got time. 2 out of 3 years in the playoffs, brand new deals, has the franchise moving in the right dirction on several fronts, good trades for the most part and some very promising changes to scouting that are looking very good.

He's not perfect but he has a high batting average IMO. I think the Flames would have to have back to back poor season (ie out of the playoffs) for his job security to come into question. 

• Like 1

On 2017-07-06 at 8:32 AM, MAC331 said:

Here is a "what if" for everyone and I know it is a big one but possible. What if Spenser Foo is the answer for Gaudreau and Monahan on our top pairing who will be entering their 4th season. This allows the rest of our forward group to be set up in its best format.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Foo

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Stajan, Hamilton

Like the line-up assuming Foo can fit that spot.  The only change would be inserting Poirier for Brouwer and playing on any line except for Backlund's.  I believe Pribyl will make a strong case as well before the end of the year.

On 7/6/2017 at 8:32 AM, MAC331 said:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Foo

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Stajan, Hamilton

Now you're talking. :)

You could even alternate Foo with Ferland, just by switching Frolik to LW.  He could well be a top 6 player out of the gate.  I have no problem with Ferlie on Backlund's line.  He provides a similar skillset to Tkachuk.  And I happen to think that Janko would push Stajan to LW or pressbox.  It just makes so much sense.  Versteeg can fill in Lazar's spot sometimes or Brouwer's or Stajan's.  I think we may see Freddie sent to the AHL this season.  They need centers.  The 14th F can be Hathaway and Gazdic alternating.

Play Gazdic to fight Bollig or Lucic or Kassian.  He's not a huge liability on the ice, but he doesn't need to play more than a dozen games.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Now you're talking. :)

You could even alternate Foo with Ferland, just by switching Frolik to LW.  He could well be a top 6 player out of the gate.  I have no problem with Ferlie on Backlund's line.  He provides a similar skillset to Tkachuk.  And I happen to think that Janko would push Stajan to LW or pressbox.  It just makes so much sense.  Versteeg can fill in Lazar's spot sometimes or Brouwer's or Stajan's.  I think we may see Freddie sent to the AHL this season.  They need centers.  The 14th F can be Hathaway and Gazdic alternating.

Play Gazdic to fight Bollig or Lucic or Kassian.  He's not a huge liability on the ice, but he doesn't need to play more than a dozen games.

Foo would be the definite wild card in this scenario however these team has gone with youth before when we all thought it to soon. I know what BT has said about Ferland and top line but we actually set up better as a team by not going that route. GG is the coach so I have to think he gets the final say in who makes the roster and plays where.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Foo would be the definite wild card in this scenario however these team has gone with youth before when we all thought it to soon. I know what BT has said about Ferland and top line but we actually set up better as a team by not going that route. GG is the coach so I have to think he gets the final say in who makes the roster and plays where.

We learned thru the BH firing how important it is for the coach to be on the same page.  BT's going to have a big say on who's left on the roster come October.  The where is for sure up to Gully.  The only downside to that is that BT may not want to have Stajan or Brouwer healthy scratched, deserving or not.  It will be interesting to see that dynamic this year.  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We learned thru the BH firing how important it is for the coach to be on the same page.  BT's going to have a big say on who's left on the roster come October.  The where is for sure up to Gully.  The only downside to that is that BT may not want to have Stajan or Brouwer healthy scratched, deserving or not.  It will be interesting to see that dynamic this year.  

I don't know that you call it a dynamic more like one has to respect the others job. GM provides the roster, the Coach decides who plays.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Excellent long interview with BT by Bob MacKenzie. If you've got an hour on your hands.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/after-off-season-acquisitions-treliving-wants-focus-to-be-on-the-ice~1205226

Yes, I was going to post the link, but it was just audio and had no URL other than the main TSN hockey site.

Great discussion of the team, the prospects, the challenge for spots....

Jagr is denied, but in the same breath he says he doesn't discuss things before they happen.  Then he says there won't be anything big.  Should be a politician.

• 3 weeks later...

Hats off to BT...again. This guy works his tail off, not a bad off season with resigning Bennett, Stone, Versteeg, Lazar, drafting Valimaki and acquiring/signing Hamonic and Jagr. He's proven his work ethic and savvy overtime. Teams must be wondering how they missed out on Jagr for a cool $1M plus bonuses. You have to wonder what guys like Iginla are thinking right now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Hats off to BT...again. This guy works his tail off, not a bad off season with resigning Bennett, Stone, Versteeg, Lazar, drafting Valimaki and acquiring/signing Hamonic and Jagr. He's proven his work ethic and savvy overtime. Teams must be wondering how they missed out on Jagr for a cool $1M plus bonuses. You have to wonder what guys like Iginla are thinking right now...

I was happy with adding Hamonic & the low price of re-signing Bennett & Versteeg. Valimaki fell to us so that really doesn't count.

The Lazar re-up is low risk but I'm concerned about the Stone contract (3.5 x 3 for a 5th D ?) as he's just insurance should Gio regress.

But this great deal on Jagr gets him another + in my book.

• Like 2

It's pretty cool BT convinced him to come play on a Canadian team, not sure teams were so adamant not to sign him considering the price he came in at. I thought Oilers were astute in signing Jussi Jokinen for $1M but getting a living legend at the same price is a steal. Not sure if this solves our offensive question marks but it does give us more depth up front no matter how you look at it. I could see him playing on every line to be honest throughout the season

2 hours ago, rickross said:

It's pretty cool BT convinced him to come play on a Canadian team, not sure teams were so adamant not to sign him considering the price he came in at. I thought Oilers were astute in signing Jussi Jokinen for $1M but getting a living legend at the same price is a steal. Not sure if this solves our offensive question marks but it does give us more depth up front no matter how you look at it. I could see him playing on every line to be honest throughout the season

C'mon, the guy is 45 regardless of being in great shape. Don't expect him to play every shift on every line. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's used in different combinations to kick start different lines though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickross said:

If nothing else.. Our powerplay just got better.. and Sam Bennett just got better . That alone is worth $1M to me 

43 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

C'mon, the guy is 45 regardless of being in great shape. Don't expect him to play every shift on every line. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's used in different combinations to kick start different lines though.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If nothing else.. Our powerplay just got better.. and Sam Bennett just got better . That alone is worth $1M to me 

The biggest benefit is no Brouwer being stuck on Bennett's line.  

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The biggest benefit is no Brouwer being stuck on Bennett's line.  

This! Bennett will finally have a talented player to play with. Jagr is a possession and playmaking beast. This will hopefully unleash Bennett. If they produced in the 40-50 point range that would be great for the Flames depth.