Prediction for playoff teams in the West.

Tri1ickshot

Now that we've seen 20% of the games played for most teams in the West, what are your evaluations for the current Western teams and which 8 teams do you guys predict to make it in the Western Playoffs?

My predictions are(in no particular order):

Anaheim, Chicago, St Louis, Vancouver, Kings, Calgary, Nashville, and Minnesota. (Yes, I think the Sharks will miss).

What are your thoughts?

Western Teams that will miss:

Oilers, Sharks, Stars, Avalanche, Coyotes, Jets. (Out of these 6, I think the only ones that can possibly take out teams from my predicted top 8 are Stars or Sharks.)

I think the top 3 in each division will be in no particular order...
Chicago, Nashville, St.L...
Vancouver, LA, Anaheim...

I think SJ, Minny will be really stressed this yr in getting a playoff spot (but are still favorites to get in of the rest)...

Minny lacks depth scoring imo and i don't believe in their goaltending despite Keumpher's great start.

Sharks are fragile. After the way they got up to play the Canucks, it is mind boggling that they wouldn't be a Presidents Trophy contender... But they continue to collapse vs everyone else, exclamated by getting romped by Luongo and Florida....

The Flames and the Jets could be their stressors for those wildcard spots... And I hope they pull it off. But I gotta say... That Flames-Canes game sure feels like it has the potential to be a Turning point game for the Flames. We'll see how it plays out.

The Stars... Forget about it... Unless they add to the D, they ain't going nowhere near the playoffs-but Jim Nill may actually pull something off.  already active trading Gonchar for Moen.

Avs Oilers Yotes... Don't think have a chance to even contend for a spot.  Tthe yotes always manage to work their way into it... but all they did this summer was downgrade... so expectations from me for them have been low since the outset..

I think the top 3 in each division will be in no particular order...

Chicago, Nashville, St.L...

Vancouver, LA, Anaheim...

I think SJ, Minny will be really stressed this yr in getting a playoff spot (but are still favorites to get in of the rest)...

Minny lacks depth scoring imo and i don't believe in their goaltending despite Keumpher's great start.

Sharks are fragile. After the way they got up to play the Canucks, it is mind boggling that they wouldn't be a Presidents Trophy contender... But they continue to collapse vs everyone else, exclamated by getting romped by Luongo and Florida....

The Flames and the Jets could be their stressors for those wildcard spots... And I hope they pull it off. But I gotta say... That Flames-Canes game sure feels like it has the potential to be a Turning point game for the Flames. We'll see how it plays out.

The Stars... Forget about it... Unless they add to the D, they ain't going nowhere near the playoffs-but Jim Nill may actually pull something off.  already active trading Gonchar for Moen.

Avs Oilers Yotes... Don't think have a chance to even contend for a spot.  Tthe yotes always manage to work their way into it... but all they did this summer was downgrade... so expectations from me for them have been low since the outset..

I gotta agree with all of your analysis. It'll be fun to see the Flames and Jets duke it out against Minny and Sharks for a playoff spot. I can't believe the Flames scored the most goals in the west at this point. I wonder if we are overachieving or we are just actually this good. lol

I wish they could freeze the standings right now in the West, call it a day, start the playoffs this weekend...

Ana vs SJ

Van vs Cal

LA vs STL

Nas vs Wpg

I really would like a Calgary vs Vancouver series and intensify their rivalry again. I think our beloved Flames will make the playoffs so no need to freeze the standings atm.

I really would like a Calgary vs Vancouver series and intensify their rivalry again. I think our beloved Flames will make the playoffs so no need to freeze the standings atm.

I severely hate it when the few Canadian teams in the play-offs have to take each other out in the 1st round.

I'd like to see Calgary vs LA

Now that we've passed the 2nd pole (American thanksgiving) when # of games played are a bit more even I'll hazard a guess.

In: Ducks, Kings, Blues, Hawks, Preds, Flames, Orca & Jets (no particular order).

Close but no cigar: Sharks & Wild

3rd tier: Coyotes, Stars & Avs

McDavid/Eichel territory: Oilers (those unfortunate fans deserve more from their team. Especially the 1 that "knows a bit about winning".) I can't even add a :) these days because I feel bad for them (fans, not what passes as management).

Now that we've passed the 2nd pole (American thanksgiving) when # of games played are a bit more even I'll hazard a guess.

In: Ducks, Kings, Blues, Hawks, Preds, Flames, Orca & Jets (no particular order).

Close but no cigar: Sharks & Wild

3rd tier: Coyotes, Stars & Avs

McDavid/Eichel territory: Oilers (those unfortunate fans deserve more from their team. Especially the 1 that "knows a bit about winning".) I can't even add a :) these days because I feel bad for them (fans, not what passes as management).

The Oilers may in fact end up in 29th or 30th this year, but the 28th or 27th will win the Sweeps.  :huh:

You can only be so lucky at being rewarded for being so bad for so long..... :P

As for your list, I think you are pretty close there. COL is a yo-yo team.  Stars should be a good team, but are worse than the Flames without Bro-dano.  Coyotes don't howl, they just yip.  Sharts are getting too long in the tooth (pun intended).

But I gotta say... That Flames-Canes game sure feels like it has the potential to be a Turning point game for the Flames. We'll see how it plays out.

Well that prediction turned out to be grossly mistaken. It might have been a turning point, but not how you imagined it turning.

Flames may still falter, but that definitely wasn't the faltering point.

Well that prediction turned out to be grossly mistaken. It might have been a turning point, but not how you imagined it turning.

Flames may still falter, but that definitely wasn't the faltering point.

true... 8-2 since dropping that game. Awesome timing for getting Arizona 3 times! They must be ecstatic to not see you guys for at least month...

We're sad we don't see Edm till the last game of the season.

I'm going to go with Flames making the playoffs,, this team has chemistry, coaching, and depth.

How far they go this year regardless, them boys so far have really impressed me, and the nay sayers at the beginning of the year, giving them the worst odds of the entire NHL shows what they really know...

Go Flames Go...

Todays standings are my pick for playoffs with one exception.

Sharks out. Kings in.

CHICAGO 28 19 8 1 39 15 88 55 9-3-1 10-5-0 9-1-0

NASHVILLE 27 18 7 2 38 15 73 54 11-2-1 7-5-1 7-3-0

ST. LOUIS 28 18 8 2 38 15 80 65 10-3-1 8-5-1 6-3-1

WINNIPEG 29 15 9 5 35 13 69 66 6-5-2 9-4-3 6-2-2

ANAHEIM 30 19 6 5 43 15 87 80 10-3-3 9-3-2 8-2-0

VANCOUVER 29 18 9 2 38 16 88 81 7-3-1 11-6-1 5-3-2

CALGARY 29 17 10 2 36 14 90 76 8-4-2 9-6-0 6-4-0

SAN JOSE 30 15 11 4 34 13 86 81 6-4-2 9-7-2 5-3-2

LOS ANGELES 28 14 9 5 33 13 72 60 11-4-1 3-5-4

5-4-1

Sorry I got lazy and copied and pasted.  :P

At this point I still think we need sometime to see how we really stack up, now that teams are playing closer to mid-season form we will see some more exciting games. Calgary has gotten some key pieces back and I hope that once they are back to game speed they will help to add to what we have been doing. A few good outings against some top teams could really help.

• 5 weeks later...

So who had Nashville as top team in the league with 60 points at the half way point? Anyone? Don't be shy.

It's funny how the media still doesn't even notice them. "What? Nashville is +32 and are 28-9-4? Nashville has a team? OHHHHHHH that's that team Weber plays for, right? Meh, let's go pester Kessel for some sound bytes."

Here's the thing about Minny that I'm still willing to cut them some slack at this point and will wait another good chunk of games before writing em off....

They've had a BRUTAL schedule of games... They've had a run of playing some tough teams in the league over the last month ...

Lost to Chi 3 times, Nas twice, SJ twice, lost to Bos, CBJ and Dal... split with Wpg.. Beat Tor and Az...

I'll judge em after Jan is over...

upcoming in Jan they got:

@Pit, @Buf, Az, CBJ, @Det, @Edm, @Cal...

They need to make a run after their Pit game.... otherwise... I agree... they will be done by Jan 31st...

Doing it with Tier II goaltending tho... they need to buckle down hard here...

I think Minny is done.  They just don't have the goaltending to get there and as a result, play too conservatively and don't score.

I think the Avs and Stars will make it interesting down the stretch with one of them making it.

The Flames, had an amazing first half to the season and yet, they sat 9th at half point.  So playing just as good the rest of they way doesn't cut it, they need to out-do their first half performance.  An unlikely scenario.  I think the Flames will just miss the playoffs.

I think the Jets have shown they're going to be in the party.

I'm hoping this means the Canucks will get squeezed out ultimately.

1. Chicago

2. Anaheim

3. Nashville

4. San Jose

5. St.Louis

6. Winnipeg

7. Los Angeles

8. Dallas

-

9. Vancouver

10. Colorado

11, Minnesota

12. Calgary

13. Arizona

14. Edmonton

I think the Jets have shown they're going to be in the party.

I'm hoping this means the Canucks will get squeezed out ultimately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Chicago

2. Anaheim

3. Nashville

4. San Jose

5. St.Louis

6. Winnipeg

7. Los Angeles

8. Dallas

-

9. Vancouver

10. Colorado

11, Minnesota

12. Calgary

13. Arizona

14. Edmonton

I'll give both an amen/so be it.

I had the Flames & Canucks in & Sharks on the bubble. I won't be sad if the Sharks overtake the Orca.

I can't imagine the Flames dropping like a stone like they'd have to in order to finish 3rd worst Peeps. I know you still want a high pick to increase odds of winning(?) the MacDavid/Eichel lottery but I'd rather take my chances on a playoff appearance.

I  predict another team will wear an ugly 3rd or retro Jersy this year...

eb14825732bf6a839c72c71ad7366d05.png

but it won't be enough to get them into the playoffs

They might win a game or 2 while other teams are wiping tears of laughter from their eyes & try to pretend they are trying.

Their playoffs are to win(?) the MacDavid/Eichel/who ever the sites are pumping to try to pretend it's not a 2 horse race & tune out after the 1st 2 picks.

Fairweather fans get interested if it's looking close while fans watch the telecast to critique selections made by their team.

Archived