Flames Defense

CheersMan

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Schenn was drafted as a center but was converted. The fact Stajan & Backlund are both centers means little as I doubt both are still Flames next year,

Regardless Schenn is 25 & has a 5.125 x 3 contract, plays all 3 forward positions & could fill that need @ 1st line RW.@ worst he's a top 6 to replace Backlund.

Backlund will get inked again or traded, so it's 50/50.  I don't know if Philly values Backs as much as our coach and GM do.  Does Schenn have good faceoff ability?  His stats don't show that, but limited usage may account for that.  If you want to kindle the BOA, adding Manning would do it. :) 

How funny is this Smid is back on the ice going to play with the Czechs Nice holiday for the D man gets paid for what 3 or 4 yrs and hits the ice what probably a total of 6 months Paid vacation nice work Smid to bad we can go to arbitration on him ask for a forfeit considering he didn't hold up to his end of the deal. I know he got hurt but to sit that long never play a game and get paid do we the flames pay him or is it insurance im not sure hope it is Insurance but if we still have to put an IR amount I guess we pay. Another Pronger type situation

5 minutes ago, zima said:

How funny is this Smid is back on the ice going to play with the Czechs Nice holiday for the D man gets paid for what 3 or 4 yrs and hits the ice what probably a total of 6 months Paid vacation nice work Smid to bad we can go to arbitration on him ask for a forfeit considering he didn't hold up to his end of the deal. I know he got hurt but to sit that long never play a game and get paid do we the flames pay him or is it insurance im not sure hope it is Insurance but if we still have to put an IR amount I guess we pay. Another Pronger type situation

His contract would have most likely been insured. It was also most likely Flames doctors that told him that he wasn't fit to play this past season. Since his contract is up, he is free to go get a second opinion and look for playing opportunities else where. He did do scouting for us this past year, so he was still working for the team. Best of luck to him in the Czech league, hopefully for him and his family he is able to stay healthy.

I thought it was just a pay day for him nice to learn it wasn't a total lost and he helped the team in some form. we wil now be able to do some damage in a sense due to the players coming off the books I know we have some young ones looking to cash in I just hope they don't play the JH card and try for a short trem high dollar payout.

3 hours ago, zima said:

What would be the point of that? 

Its probably on the flames to pay him thats how contracts work. 

4 hours ago, zima said:

It was actually more beneficial for the Flames this season.  His injury for the entire year allowed the Flames to overspend the amount of his cap hit for the entire season.

Had the doctors ruled him healthy, we would have had to play him or bench him.  The NHL enforces LTIR.  If healthy, he would have to be on the roster.  

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 5:52 PM, travel_dude said:

It was actually more beneficial for the Flames this season.  His injury for the entire year allowed the Flames to overspend the amount of his cap hit for the entire season.

Had the doctors ruled him healthy, we would have had to play him or bench him.  The NHL enforces LTIR.  If healthy, he would have to be on the roster.  

Do we get rid of one Czech defenseman for another on in Jan Rutta ? We may know if he signs with us as early as next week. I hope this happens for us.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:56 PM, zima said:

If the Flames didn't want to risk possible re-injury of Smid then they have right.  

This was not Smid sitting on Flames insurance and laughing to the bank. Not in the slightest. Flames wanted him on long term injury list for cap reasons.

Flames made a similar decision with Gary Roberts. They simply did not want to get involved with a possible fatal or injury that could affect the player for remainder of his life.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Yes you are

we shall see..

Right or wrong on his fit, not debating that..(he's not my first choice)..

he's seen as a top free agent target, has ties to Calgary.. interview on Fan 960 yesterday if you read between the lines he likes Calgary as a fit himself.. 

He has abysmal possession numbers , but as they keep pointing out on 960 he's almost exclusively D zone starts so that has an effect..

dunno.. would not surprise me in the least if BT targets him

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we shall see..

he's seen as a top free agent target, has ties to Calgary.. interview on Fan 960 yesterday if you read between the lines he likes Calgary as a fit himself.. 

He has abysmal possession numbers , but as they keep pointing out on 960 he's almost exclusively D zone starts so that has an effect..

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we signed him. I think he would be a nice fit here. My thing is I wouldn't pay any thing over 4 years and $4.5m for him and don't think that gets it done.

On a side note if I was GM or president of hockey ops I would enforce a pretty strict 4 year max on contract length for UFA's. It might keep the Flames out of the high end UFA market, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, those top end contracts tend to be awful.

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we shall see..

I'm not even sure Alzner is an upgrade over Engelland.  I may be wrong about him, but I am not a big fan.

Alzner would be a terrible player to sign and if the flames do he'll be Brouwer 2.0, I would guarantee that. He is a really bad fit for what calgary is looking for and honestly  outside of his height and weight he really brings nothing the flames are looking for. 

i hope the flames stay far, far away from Alzner. 

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

Alzner would be a terrible player to sign and if the flames do he'll be Brouwer 2.0, I would guarantee that. He is a really bad fit for what calgary is looking for and honestly  outside of his height and weight he really brings nothing the flames are looking for. 

i hope the flames stay far, far away from Alzner. 

My personal hope is that the Leafs overpay for him . Dont get me wrong , I don't want him here .. just have this nagging feeling we're going to go after him .

and you may be right but I have a tough time seeing it myself. Outside of the Calgary connection does he fit anything they are looking for?

RH shot to play with Brodie? No

Physical/hard to play against? Not really

Good possession guy? Nope

Ability to transition? sup par.

I just don't think he fits anything that they are looking for other than he has the height/weight metrics they would like. I think if he had played his junior hockey in Edmonton of Moose Jaw we likely wouldn't even be discussing him. 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does he even fight?

Does he bring anything like Montour or Holzer from the Ducks?

You can count on 1 hand how many times he's fought in his NHL career.

I'm assuming you mean snarl/physicality like those 2 bring? Not IMO. I don't see Alzner play a ton but when i have, both in junior and pro, I have not seen any type of nastiness or physicality. He relies more on smooth skating and hockey IQ in his own zone as opposed to his size/strength. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You can count on 1 hand how many times he's fought in his NHL career.

I'm assuming you mean snarl/physicality like those 2 bring? Not IMO. I don't see Alzner play a ton but when i have, both in junior and pro, I have not seen any type of nastiness or physicality. He relies more on smooth skating and hockey IQ in his own zone as opposed to his size/strength. 

I haven't followed him much since he was drafted and haven't seen him play other than watching the Caps lose in the playoffs years after year.

I ask because he was advertised as the next Robyn Regehr when he was drafted, aka hard hitting in your face shut down Dman.

Since he is hitting the FA market and is 29, he will almost certainly get a significant raise on the $2.8 million he was making on his last deal. Not worth it at all. If you are going to go spend that money and want a guy like that, might as well designate that money to Stone. He is a RH shot.