Flames Defense

CheersMan

Well, something the tv guys talked about a few games back was playing as a five man unit. How many games could we say they've done that? Hartley talked about it post game after the win and it was possibly the Chicago one, that when we play this way we are hard to beat... So, does that mean he is preaching it but the players are not responding?

Well, something the tv guys talked about a few games back was playing as a five man unit. How many games could we say they've done that? Hartley talked about it post game after the win and it was possibly the Chicago one, that when we play this way we are hard to beat... So, does that mean he is preaching it but the players are not responding?

I believe they were talking about playing as a unit, not breaking out as one.  I think what you see in the defensive zone is what is consistently practiced.  It's not really that much different than last year.  It can work, if the other team plays a certain way, but is also easy to predict.  

Two of the best played games this year were ones where dominated on the shot clock.  And we had better than average goaltending.  

Well, I was only able to catch the tail end of the 3rd through the shootout, but from the sounds of it, the defense was more in the play, like last season.  Great goal by Hamilton.  Hopefully this sparks some life to go on a tear. 

If the Flames can go 8-1 in their next 9, they would have an identical record that they had last year after 34 games. it's a stretch but not impossible.    4 more games in a row at home.  Last December the Flames went on an 8 game losing skid.

This December, the Flames go on a tear to get back in the playoff race!

GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!

Well, I was only able to catch the tail end of the 3rd through the shootout, but from the sounds of it, the defense was more in the play, like last season. Great goal by Hamilton. Hopefully this sparks some life to go on a tear.

If the Flames can go 8-1 in their next 9, they would have an identical record that they had last year after 34 games. it's a stretch but not impossible. 4 more games in a row at home. Last December the Flames went on an 8 game losing skid.

This December, the Flames go on a tear to get back in the playoff race!

GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!

The D played very good for the most part, especially Brodie. Ramo let in a softy early, Hamilton kicked one in and then Ramo let in another weak one. The Stars carried the play early and for most of the 1st.

The Flames tried to chip away but couldn't buy a goal! Finally Backlund scored a goal where the goalie made 4 saves on him and looked like he was still going to shut the door on us. Backlund chipped it open. Niemi played good even though we came back he still made what could've been game saving saves.

But Brodie took over and Hamilton topped it off tying the game.

The D played very good for the most part, especially Brodie. Ramo let in a softy early, Hamilton kicked one in and then Ramo let in another weak one. The Stars carried the play early and for most of the 1st.

The Flames tried to chip away but couldn't buy a goal! Finally Backlund scored a goal where the goalie made 4 saves on him and looked like he was still going to shut the door on us. Backlund chipped it open. Niemi played good even though we came back he still made what could've been game saving saves.

But Brodie took over and Hamilton topped it off tying the game.

I think that was the take charge type of game by Hamilton we have all been waiting to see.

I do have to say Smid was brutal out there.

I think that was the take charge type of game by Hamilton we have all been waiting to see.

I do have to say Smid was brutal out there.

I think Smid had his moments. There was that one shift, even though he shouldn't have been so deep in their end for so long, where he held it in the corner all on his own winning battles against 3 stars.

I feel like he did some good and some bad.

• Like 1

I think Smid had his moments. There was that one shift, even though he shouldn't have been so deep in their end for so long, where he held it in the corner all on his own winning battles against 3 stars.

I feel like he did some good and some bad.

He was a different player last night.  The first goal was mostly on him, just for coverage, as Ramo should have had that.  There were a few plays where I thought he was a step behind, but he added some toughness that hadn't been seen by the defense in awhile.  All "clean" hits.  How I have missed that.  Engelland can do it, but gets out of position some times doing it.  

I thought Smid played quite well actually. He brought a good physical element but he also pinched really effective and a few times did a nice job holding the puck in the zone. I was very happy with Smid's game last night. 

I saw players blowing past him and bad angles to the puck a lot. First night back he needs to get some rust off.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Smid played quite well actually. He brought a good physical element but he also pinched really effective and a few times did a nice job holding the puck in the zone. I was very happy with Smid's game last night. 

Good timing cross, I agree that Smid is playing a real sound D game for us. It's only 10-12/night, but he doesn't make me nervous at all.

Tough injury to overcome, but it's obvious he worked his tail off and thought about the game a lot. He's comfortable handling the puck, good decision-making, safe pinches, he's gained confidence with the coaching staff, he's a team first guy.

Contract aside, I've been real happy with his play and my expectations started off in the lav!

Third pairing stability imho.

Good timing cross, I agree that Smid is playing a real sound D game for us. It's only 10-12/night, but he doesn't make me nervous at all.

Tough injury to overcome, but it's obvious he worked his tail off and thought about the game a lot. He's comfortable handling the puck, good decision-making, safe pinches, he's gained confidence with the coaching staff, he's a team first guy.

Contract aside, I've been real happy with his play and my expectations started off in the lav!

Third pairing stability imho.

He is needed when Wideman plays.  Wideman/Engelland is a bad idea.  Engelland can play well enough.

I would prefer to upgrade on Russell or Wideman.  Russell did not have a bad game, but I watched the same zone struggles. Russell on the 3rd pair is fine for now.  Would prefer to upgrade to a LHS #4D for him.  Smid as a 7th D is fine.  Wideman is a waste of cap for a 5/6D.  Trade him or Russell for a top 6 winger.  Trade the other for a LHS D-man.

Need more then that.  They need to go 10-3-2 in the next 15 GP just to get to where they were after that 8 game skid last December

(17-15-3) and THEN they need the same winning percentage..

Sorry, not to reply to myself, this is just for my reference only...

Flames back at 0.500 since this post...  Were 7-12-1 when this post was written.

Only need to go 3-1-1 in the next 5 to match last years record, which was awful at the time, due to an 8 game losing skid last December

Maybe all the NHL teams have figured out the Flames stretch pass this season which results in bad goals in the Flames end and lack of scoring opportunities.  Has Gio fully recovered from his injury?

Through 24 GP last season

GP G  A  PTS  +/-

Mark Giordano  24  6  18  24  +12

TJ Brodie          24  5  15  20  +15

D. Wideman      24  8   5   13  +1

Through 24 GP this season

Mark Giordano  24  5  3  8  -15

TJ Brodie          15  2  5  7   -2

D. Wideman      24  0  9  9  -9

So Calgary's top 3 dmen, THIS season combined, equate to Mark Giordano's point total through 24 games last season.

This time last season, TJ Brodie was leading the NHL in +/- and the Flames top 3, combined a +28.  This season, Captain Mark Giordano, is a team worst -15, and the top 3 combined is a -26.

Flames top 3 had 18 goals at this time last season, compared to the 7 they have this season.  

Then they acquire Dougie Hamilton, who through 24 games last season...

Dougie Hamiltion  24  5  9  14  +4

VS

Dougie Hamilton   24  2   3  5  -6

It really is amazing how weak our back end has been this year compared to last.  Not even a Miikka Kiprusoff could save us at this point.

Since the 24 game mark, the Flames defense is as follows...

GP  G  A  PTS   +/_

Mark Giordano          6    1   3      4    +4

TJ Brodie                  6     2   5     7    +6

Dennis Wideman      6     0   5     5    +1

Dougie Hamilton       6    1    4     5    +6

And I didn't even include Kris Russell, as he missed 3 games, but this here is the present 6 game win streak!

The offence from the defence is looking good, now hopefully they can get the defensive side of the game sound too. They've shown stretches but I'd like to see them be able to hold a lead. 

I think Wideman's confidence is in the toilet. He doesn't seem to be doing anything right and now he is hesitant to even shoot the puck.

Seriously I would put him with Giordano and tell him to get aggressive with his offensive game. We all know he lacks defensively.

The Flames defence IMO has been critical to their turnaround. I felt they had a really bad first month but starting just before the Dallas game I thought they started to turn things around and now are playing very well. This is the D core most thought the Flames were in the offseason. They are deep, mobile, move the puck extremely well, and are back driving the engine for the Flames. 

The Flames defence IMO has been critical to their turnaround. I felt they had a really bad first month but starting just before the Dallas game I thought they started to turn things around and now are playing very well. This is the D core most thought the Flames were in the offseason. They are deep, mobile, move the puck extremely well, and are back driving the engine for the Flames. 

What worried me about the Nashville game was the inability of the 3rd pairing to get simple things right.  Engelland was lost.  Wideman was ok at time, and really bad at times.  Forcing one to play their wrong side is not helping.

I have been all over Russell this year, and even though he looked good for most of the game, would like to see him in the 3rd pairing.  Somebody needs to stabilize that.  He is mobile enough to come back when needed.  Wideman needs to play with an effective LHS D-man.  

I understand that the defense looks fairly stable now, but we took baby steps to get players adjusted.  I think we can make some adjustments that long term will help us out.  The most minutes should be played by (in this order) Brodie, Gio, Hamilton, Wideman, Russell, 6th D. 

What worried me about the Nashville game was the inability of the 3rd pairing to get simple things right. Engelland was lost. Wideman was ok at time, and really bad at times. Forcing one to play their wrong side is not helping.

I have been all over Russell this year, and even though he looked good for most of the game, would like to see him in the 3rd pairing. Somebody needs to stabilize that. He is mobile enough to come back when needed. Wideman needs to play with an effective LHS D-man.

I understand that the defense looks fairly stable now, but we took baby steps to get players adjusted. I think we can make some adjustments that long term will help us out. The most minutes should be played by (in this order) Brodie, Gio, Hamilton, Wideman, Russell, 6th D.

In the first period all the defensemen seemed to struggle with Nashville's forecheck. Instead the safe play and getting the puck out they tried to make cute little passes that ended in turnovers.

I love Brodie and he is by far our best defenseman, but I would like to see him make some safer plays at times, it seems like he wants to force a play that isn't there. I think if he can iron that out of his game he can go from a very good defenseman to an elite defenseman.

In the first period all the defensemen seemed to struggle with Nashville's forecheck. Instead the safe play and getting the puck out they tried to make cute little passes that ended in turnovers.

I love Brodie and he is by far our best defenseman, but I would like to see him make some safer plays at times, it seems like he wants to force a play that isn't there. I think if he can iron that out of his game he can go from a very good defenseman to an elite defenseman.

Some of Brodie's miscues come from playing on the wrong side.  It's difficult to backhand a pass across the ice.

Here is some info about Hamilton/Russell I found quite interesting:

Dougie Hamilton led the Flames with a 62.96% ES CF. There were times throughout the night he was the only positive possession Flame at even strength, and by a considerable margin (think 69% near the end of the second period, and Joe Colborne was the runner up at 50%). 

He also played 19:23, fourth on the Flames in defencemen for ice time, with just 10 more seconds than Wideman.

Wideman played 5:00 on the power play, for all the good that did them, while Hamilton got in a mere 27 seconds. Wideman also played 1:54 on the penalty kill, a situation Hamilton seemingly is not allowed to partake in, even though there's reasonable evidence to believe he has the potential to succeed in the role

Hamilton was quietly one of the Flames' best players of the night, has been one of the better defenders outside of his disastrous start, and isn't being played as such. He played better away from Russell (60.00% ES CF with compared to 71.43% without; Russell was 55.56% without)

I bolded and underlined a few items that are fairly telling.  It kind of points to setting up the pairings effectively. Brodie/Hamilton and Russell/Engelland.  Double shift Brodie with Gio if you need to reduce Wideman's minutes with Gio.

Hamilton is starting to show exactly why most of us called that trade a steal. IMO he's been stellar for about the last month or so and if it weren't for Gio playing so well I would call him the Flames best dman. 

ya and for some reason BH still feels the need to play wideman/russell on the pp and pk more then hamilton. Literally the oddest coaching decision.

I think Brodie has outplayed Gio, Hamilton and the rest of the D.

Over the season, yes. For the last month or so I think Gio/Hamilton have been better in their all around games. Part of that is due to Brodie however so i'm not taking away credit from Brodie.