Flames Defense

CheersMan

Thanks cross, that's exactly what I wanted to say too.  We've got a "good" D group but where are we in the standings?  Did we win a divisional title or anything?  We are in no position to have an untouchable top 4.

Where do you think CGY and COL would have finished in the standings this year had they swapped their top 4 D for the entire season?  Would COL have been a favorite to win the SC?

6de26d05a47b0ead7c8ebeb460fda5a5.png

bf08ff0e1500a000df5ccbf52fbe06c2.png

400389d27ee37b14e9ec979d450542a5.png

After last night and some further thought I think Wideman is a serious liability on the 2nd pairing not Russell. Maybe we should be thinking of trading Wideman or knocking him down to the 3rd pairing and PP.

Also after last night and watching Bennett's style of play I think our forward positioning and scoring will be just fine for next year.

I have said this for a few years now regarding Backlund, he is a 3rd line C and our reality is with Stajan resigned for as long as he is now, one of them has to go. Backlund isn't a 2nd line C next year and Stajan isn't a 4th line C. I don't dislike either player, each has their own strengths.

Our depth is building and each will bring about a few changes so hopefully our GM makes good decisions

Really not convinced that either needs to go. If the right deal comes along that improves the team of course you look at it closely. However, Stajan has played well all year in that sort of 4c role. I like the way our 4th line is set up as it is not a typical 4th of big guys who are really physical but maybe lack skill or are a liability defensively. Especially when Bouma is in the lineup as it allows Ferland to play down on the 4th. Backlund on the other hand is one of the best defensive centers in the nhl and chips in some decent offensive numbers for his role. I am also not a fan of moving either of wideman or Russell out of the top 4. They have both proven that they deserbe to be there and are difference makers one way or another every night. If we had a 3rd pair that was capable of playing more than 5 or 6 minutes a night I think with decreased minutes for Russell and wideman they would be quite effective. If we could address our 3rd pair in the offseason I think it also indirectly improves the top 4.

Something like:

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Wideman

Engelland/Wotherspoon-Jackman ( I believe he is an FA but if not I like Oduya as well)

Had my lines mixed up as backlund would likely be considered 2c and stajan 3c with granlund on the 4th.

Regardless I do still think they can play those roles effectively. If Bennett can continue to play like last night I think he could be ready to play on the 2nd lin next year. If not he could always centre the 3rd with backs moving up. I do still think though that we only move backs or stajan if the right deal is there like I said before. Neither are going to get you a top 4d without spending a additional assets because those types of guys are rarely available to begin with. I would rather just draft and develope dmen to fill the roles down the road.

Backlund and Bouma can be good on a future 3rd line, if the price is right. I watched Jooris play a tremendous shutdown roll last night and he has a bit more offensive flair.

As said, we know Bennett is coming, so room will have to be made for Monahan and Bennett at center, the rest should be a numbers game.

Although, I've been quite impressed with the D we have as well. I feel like we lack very much in size and it's the playoffs where you see it the most. We don't have guys to punish the other team and wear them down. 

Something we haven't done in this series is activate our D enough. We're not getting enough zone time to play our game. Vancouver is very active in their D coverage.

With that said, we need to be active in ours as well, from our forwards. 

In the LA game, every player was on another guy right away. I am not seeing that in this series. I didn't see game 1 so I am not sure if it was that way or not?

Back to my main point. I think it's where we need improvements, getting a size D that can play top4. Keith and Seabrook are a perfect example of a perfect pair. 

I know Gio has decent size and can hit. It really is too bad he had that tear on that really unfortunate play that would never usually result in an injury. 

Been impressed with Schlemko.  He picked up his minutes in last game was +2 and looks deserving of a contract. 

I agree.  A few guys have really stepped it up in the absence of our first line producing.  Bollig, Ferland, Schlemko, Brodie, Backlund, and Stajan top my list.  An honorable mention goes out to Jones as well.  

Been impressed with Schlemko.  He picked up his minutes in last game was +2 and looks deserving of a contract. 

I have Schlemko moving up the ladder rather quickly.  I see him fitting in anywhere from 3-6 right now.  That's not a slight against our existing D but rather a compliment to Schlemko himself.  We have no young D in our farm system that are even close to providing what he is does right now.  Pleasant similarities to when we picked up Russell.  They both just quietly do their job and get better and better with each game.  Schelmko will only get better as he becomes more comfortable with the team and their system.

With basically the entire D under contract for next season I don't think you'll see them go out and get a pairing for Schlemko. If they re sign him, and keep in mind they need to make a deciscion on Wotherspoon sooner rather then later IMO, I think all signs would point to an Engelland - Schlemko 3rd pairing and that would be something I'm completely comfortable with, pending the financials of course.

With basically the entire D under contract for next season I don't think you'll see them go out and get a pairing for Schlemko. If they re sign him, and keep in mind they need to make a deciscion on Wotherspoon sooner rather then later IMO, I think all signs would point to an Engelland - Schlemko 3rd pairing and that would be something I'm completely comfortable with, pending the financials of course.

Wotherspoon and Morrison are in a similar boat after this season.  We have some guys that could replace Smid, Engelland and Schlemko, but it remains to be seen how soon.  For now, I will give Spoon the benefit of the doubt, depending on how he does in the playoffs. 

In their one game together so far, Schlemnk and Wotherspoon looked pretty good together. Hartly clearly likes Schlemko, and I have to agree with him. Someone who can fill an increasingly large roll on our team in the future. GREAT pickup.

Next year we're probably looking at:

Gio-Brodie

Russel-Wides

Schlemko - Engellend/Wotherspoon

Morrison I don't know enough about but is probably competing for 7th with Spoon (Engellend is a lock due to contract and size).

It looks like Smid may not come back from some reports I've heard. But hard to know until the team says something.

In their one game together so far, Schlemnk and Wotherspoon looked pretty good together. Hartly clearly likes Schlemko, and I have to agree with him. Someone who can fill an increasingly large roll on our team in the future. GREAT pickup.

I haven't liked Schlemko so far in the playoffs.  I think he tries too hard, if that makes any sense.  Too many pump fakes and head fakes to the point where he fools his own teammates.  He also setup Bennett with a suicide pass.   In his role, he's got to keep it simple. He doesn't play Flames hockey yet and makes dangerous decisions which has to stop.  Of all our Dmen, whenever Schlemko has the puck, i cringe a bit because i can't tell what he's thinking.

I haven't liked Schlemko so far in the playoffs.  I think he tries too hard, if that makes any sense.  Too many pump fakes and head fakes to the point where he fools his own teammates.  He also setup Bennett with a suicide pass.   In his role, he's got to keep it simple. He doesn't play Flames hockey yet and makes dangerous decisions which has to stop.  Of all our Dmen, whenever Schlemko has the puck, i cringe a bit because i can't tell what he's thinking.

Schlemko tries too hard?  So if 100% is the most you can contribute, how much would you like to see him contribute moving forward?  Maybe 85-90% in a game?

-----------

Our defense has routinely and countlessly made that pass up through center ice all year.  I’ve seen them do it 6 time successfully in a single game.  The forwards job is to get a stick on the puck at mid-ice and deflect it down the ice, preventing icing while keeping head up, and then go for a line change.  Bennett had his head down and was attempting to take possession of it.  Please, let’s not blame that on a veteran defenseman while Bennett is playing in his 4th NHL game.

-------------

If you can tell what Schlemko is thinking then the opposition can tell what Schlemko is thinking and that’s a bad thing.  All you need to know Peeps is that when Schlemko is on the ice the Flames are very seldom getting scored on.

• Like 3

Schlemko tries too hard?  So if 100% is the most you can contribute, how much would you like to see him contribute moving forward?  Maybe 85-90% in a game?

-----------

Our defense has routinely and countlessly made that pass up through center ice all year.  I’ve seen them do it 6 time successfully in a single game.  The forwards job is to get a stick on the puck at mid-ice and deflect it down the ice, preventing icing while keeping head up, and then go for a line change.  Bennett had his head down and was attempting to take possession of it.  Please, let’s not blame that on a veteran defenseman while Bennett is playing in his 4th NHL game.

-------------

If you can tell what Schlemko is thinking then the opposition can tell what Schlemko is thinking and that’s a bad thing.  All you need to know Peeps is that when Schlemko is on the ice the Flames are very seldom getting scored on.

I knew that wouldn't make any sense.

Without the puck, he's done okay.  WITH the puck however, i think there is room for improvement.  He hangs onto the puck a second too long and doesn't make the simple/expected play.  When a pass requires very high skill to complete, he will try that as a first option instead of looking for a safer out. His shots from the point get blocked more than any other Dman as well.  Sometimes when the shot's not there, don't force it.  Like, shoot wide intentionally and hope for a rebound off the boards to come out infront of the net.  It's the little things like that.

I knew that wouldn't make any sense.

Without the puck, he's done okay.  WITH the puck however, i think there is room for improvement.  He hangs onto the puck a second too long and doesn't make the simple/expected play.  When a pass requires very high skill to complete, he will try that as a first option instead of looking for a safer out. His shots from the point get blocked more than any other Dman as well.  Sometimes when the shot's not there, don't force it.  Like, shoot wide intentionally and hope for a rebound off the boards to come out infront of the net.  It's the little things like that.

No I get what you're saying.

As we saw with his shootout goal (and the following night when it rang off the post) he seems to like to fake people out. He does the same thing when passing it seems. Everyone would expect the simple thing, but he goes for the fake or the higher risk to see if we can capitalize on that.

That's not wrong though. Look how successful doing that well has made Tanguay in his career. I think if he can get his teammates to reading hi fakes and be a little better with the accuracy of those tight passes, he could actually be a very deadly addition to the back end to spring plays up the ice.

Right now perhaps pushing a bit much because there isn't time to develop that. But next season when they have a whole year to get it right? I think that's got a lot of value.

His point shot is a problem though. I grant that.