Flames Defense

CheersMan

Unless Potter solidifies his game, I don't see him getting an NHL contract next season. No issue with a 2-way contract, and if claimed after TC, then so be it. Diaz has improved, but is still just a 7D in my mind. Smid will get traded, bought out or retire, even though I like his work ethic (sacrifices much like Bouma).

That leaves Engelland as a 5/6 guy. Morrison and Wotherspoon could very well make the team next season. Spoon missed TC, so he didn't get the love some of the other guys did. Morrison appears to have the ability to translate to a pro game, and is closer to the typical good years of a defenseman. Schlemko is possibly the odd man out, unless they chose to buy out Engelland.

You know, I'm really interested to see what they do with Morrison. I saw the Flames/Marlies game last night, and that kid looks like the real deal. He was the best player on the ice - he skates exceptionally well, is smart with and without the puck, plays with a lot of heart, and has an absolute rocket from the blueline.

Love.

https://youtu.be/PfraLR_37HA

• Like 1

You know, I'm really interested to see what they do with Morrison. I saw the Flames/Marlies game last night, and that kid looks like the real deal. He was the best player on the ice - he skates exceptionally well, is smart with and without the puck, plays with a lot of heart, and has an absolute rocket from the blueline.

Love.

https://youtu.be/PfraLR_37HA

Some are comparing him to Dekeyser, which could be considered a good thing. In 5 games with the baby Flames he has 1 goal and 4 assists. Not a bad start.

don't get me wrong I really like the season Wideman has had but Norris conversation is a bit much. he's been good, but not great. he has been great offensively, but he is not dominant enough on either side of the ice to qualify for the Norris IMO. he still struggles at times in his own zone.

I do like Morrison and think that was a wicked signing but I would hold off on the Dekeyser comparisons.  The big thing with Dekeyser was how polished his game was and how NHL ready he was and from what I've heard about Morrison is he is a bit more of a project. Good upside, which is why I love the signing but I think we should just manage expectation and comparable. He defiantly makes Potter irrelevant though which is great because Potter is a terrible NHL dman. He was awful last night and I really think the only reason they signed him was to have some RH shot depth in the organization and I do support that mentality but Morrison takes care of that.

don't get me wrong I really like the season Wideman has had but Norris conversation is a bit much. he's been good, but not great. he has been great offensively, but he is not dominant enough on either side of the ice to qualify for the Norris IMO. he still struggles at times in his own zone.

I do like Morrison and think that was a wicked signing but I would hold off on the Dekeyser comparisons. The big thing with Dekeyser was how polished his game was and how NHL ready he was and from what I've heard about Morrison is he is a bit more of a project. Good upside, which is why I love the signing but I think we should just manage expectation and comparable. He defiantly makes Potter irrelevant though which is great because Potter is a terrible NHL dman. He was awful last night and I really think the only reason they signed him was to have some RH shot depth in the organization and I do support that mentality but Morrison takes care of that.

I think you're underrating Wideman. But I think a lot are. I don't mind that as, if it allows him to do what he does, because a lot are underrating him, then better for us.

I think Wideman should be in the running for the Norris. He has quietly gone about his business and played a great year, stepping up in Gio's absence. 56 points is huge. I dunno. I think he should be in the conversation.

I like the respect you give Wideman, he deserves it and we see him in the same light.  We are not a playoff team minus Wideman.  I think Karlsson is now running away with the Norris votes.  If Gio had played a full season it would have been an extremely tight race between Gio and Karlsson.  With the Flames success post Gio injury, it all but seals the deal for Karlsson as Norris winner.  Just imagine where the negotiation $$ begin if Gio had the Norris hardware.  I guess it would be similar to the contract Subban recently negotiated.  The Flames can now lock up Gio (pre Norris winner) next year at a reasonable and fair rate for both sides, saving $$ for the remainder of the “TEAM”.

I'm not underrating Wideman at all, I'm actually a big fan of Wideman and have been all along. But to say that he should be in the Norris conversation means you are saying he has essentially be one of the top 5 or 6 dman in the league this season and I can't agree with that. He's had a great season no question but Norris is the best of the best and I can't put Wideman in the same category as Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Keith, Doughty etc. That would be like saying Tyson Barrie should be in the Norris conversation. Would you put Tyson Barrie in the Norris conversation?

It is a pity that the gem of the Flames (Captain Mark Giordano) is out with torn biceps, but every Flame is a shining jewel.  The team discipline is awesome and I admire the way Dennis Wideman, Deryk Engelland, and Kris Russell are playing.  I often forget whether these players blueliners or forwards? 

Awesome!

Wideman has been outstanding this season but Norris talk is going too far.  I feel like we haven't seen a second pair guy do what a second pair guy is suppose to do and so we feel they are Norris material.  If you look around the league at teams who have good D groups, all their second pair guys play their role as well as Wideman.

Wideman has been outstanding this season but Norris talk is going too far.  I feel like we haven't seen a second pair guy do what a second pair guy is suppose to do and so we feel they are Norris material.  If you look around the league at teams who have good D groups, all their second pair guys play their role as well as Wideman.

Wideman is exactly what we paid for; an offensive D-man that isn't much of a liability. Not much different than a Yandle or Franson. These guys are not Norris material.

Brodie, on the other hand, is Norris calibre. He made Gio a better player. He is a smooth-skating guy in the mold of J-Bow, but a little tougher to play against. Compare him to a Duncan Keith in the early days of his career.

Wideman is exactly what we paid for; an offensive D-man that isn't much of a liability. Not much different than a Yandle or Franson. These guys are not Norris material.

Brodie, on the other hand, is Norris calibre. He made Gio a better player. He is a smooth-skating guy in the mold of J-Bow, but a little tougher to play against. Compare him to a Duncan Keith in the early days of his career.

It's just too bad that they chose to play Engelland with Brodie instead. I know that Wideman and Russell were too good a pair to break up, but if they played Brodie with someone better than Engelland, it could have boosted Brodie's numbers to boost his chance. 

Well, I think that we can safely conclude that D depth is still an issue to look at in the offseason.

Wotherspoon did not look ready for an NHL game IMHO.

Engellend really showed his weakness again when not paired with Brodie.

To be fair, Schlemko, Potter (surprisingly) and Ramage looked average but not bad.

One game is too early to tell but Kulak actually looked the best of our D-core tonight. That is interesting.

I don't think you judge anyone when a group is thrown together for one game. The entire team looked to be in a scramble with players and lines being different throughout.

I still think our D depth should be a focus but I came away thinking it is getting better fast.

It wasn't a good game by anyone really, but the D-pairings seemed to be mostly consistent to me (at least more than the forward lines)

I see promise in Ramage and Kulak for sure. Camp will be interesting.

Schlemko I hope stays (especially since Diaz is probably gone, and Smid may not play again)

Wotherspoon is a questionmark for me. I haven't seen his junior play and was not impressed.

Engellend is a known issue, but we need his size until Kanzig gets his skating abilities up to par.

It wasn't a good game by anyone really, but the D-pairings seemed to be mostly consistent to me (at least more than the forward lines)

I see promise in Ramage and Kulak for sure. Camp will be interesting.

Schlemko I hope stays (especially since Diaz is probably gone, and Smid may not play again)

Wotherspoon is a questionmark for me. I haven't seen his junior play and was not impressed.

Engellend is a known issue, but we need his size until Kanzig gets his skating abilities up to par.

Ramage is nothing special, so far.

Kulak was out-performed by Culkin and only made it back to the AHL (from ECHL) when Culkin was lost for the season.

Schlemkp is fine. No word on Diaz.

Wotherspoon had a good end to last season, so I think he has promise. Playing with Seth Jones in junior, he had an amazing season to end his junior career.

Engelland is serviceable. He brings nore toughness than the rest of the D core, so we need him for the playoffs.

If Wotherspoon needs more work he will get it as I don't see the need to hurry him onto the roster next year. If we get a top 4 D in trade this offseason it will back the system up and allow a number of defensemen to receive more development time.

One good trade could take the desperation out of using a number of guys in replacement roles.

I to hope they hang onto Schlemko for next year. Engelland will be here, Diaz will not and Smid who knows.

Everyone always talks about landing a top 4 D in trade this summer.

My question is how? Who are we willing to give up who has that value?

Gardeau? Monahan? Hudler?  That's shooting ourself in the foot.

Jooris? Colborne? Bouma? Wolf? Shore? Not a good idea to rid ourselves of young depth. Not to speak of that they don't have enough value.

Raymond, Jones and Stajan might be options, but none have the value, and Raymond and Stajan's contract length makes it unlikely.

Trading from our current D defeats the purpose.

That leaves Backlund, our best possession defensive center.  He may be replaceable in a couple years when others develop, but not yet.

Realistically, we have to look at depth D on the free agent market for now, and not overpay or over-length their contracts like we did with Engellend.

Get a guy for a season or 2 who can play the 3-5 position and can be traded or waived when the kids ar ready.

Ramage is nothing special, so far.
Kulak was out-performed by Culkin and only made it back to the AHL (from ECHL) when Culkin was lost for the season.
Schlemkp is fine. No word on Diaz.
Wotherspoon had a good end to last season, so I think he has promise. Playing with Seth Jones in junior, he had an amazing season to end his junior career.
Engelland is serviceable. He brings nore toughness than the rest of the D core, so we need him for the playoffs.

Thank you for the info on the junior play. Having not watched I don't know. Was wondering why Wotherspoon was well liked.

Kulak looked good to me in one game, but that's unfortunate to hear. Maybe in time?

Engellend brings toughness, but without Brodie is a liability. We need him for now, but we need an upgrade.

Backlund, Granlund, Bollig, Poirier (maybe), I think BT could pull the trigger to get a top 4 D. I wouldn't fall in love with Backlund, any of Stajan, Jooris or Shore could fill that role,

I get the lack of love for Backlund (injuries, lack of offense).  But he is the best possession forward we have. He regularly faces the toughest competition.  Unless you have one of the rookies show repeatedly that can do that, losing him would set us back more than you think.

• Like 1