Flames Defense

CheersMan

I think everyone's whipping boy Engelland had a heck kf a game. He didn't look out of place in that top 4 and I thought really stepped up his game.

The flames were on thier heels for sure in the 3rd but that's not suprising. I thought Philly wore them down physically for most of the game and the looked tired and on their heels. That's where you are going to feel Gio the most IMO is defending a lead when a team is coming. Gio is the best at been able to strip the puck and start the rush. Something I think the rest of the d core struggles with.

I would do my best not to have the weaker Dmen put out of their normal positions. Brodie is a smart player and has played the LS before so I would go like this.

Brodie, Engelland

Russell, Wideman (keep them together)

Diaz and Potter ( I might even put Diaz on the RS )

Yes like this as a good starter, to be adjusted as the game goes on dependent on the situation.  Since Brodie& playing top guns having Engelland's strength a good thing, while utilizing the KISS principle and Brodie holding back a bit on his rushes.  If playing a very speedy team may consider changing it up but I think Hartley has done well so far utilizing the D and they all have stepped it up.  Also factoring in is the forwards, specifically the C's coming back to help out...  It's a team game.

Brodie is really good. We forget sometimes, but Giordano wasn't a Norris candidate until paired with Brodie.

That said, the real Engelland stood up on the first goal in the third.

Give the guy a break.  Couturier snuck in from the boards and it was a great pass across the crease while everyone was looking out front of the net.  Engelland played a very solid game, as did all of the D.  In the third Philly got their cycle behind the net game going along with crashing their big bodies to net-front...

Engellend played well.  He had that look in his eyes like he waited all year for this opportunity to show everybody he's not just a bottom pair guy.  He was positionally sound, always alert of his surroundings, and played mistake free.  He's also going to allow Brodie to go on the offense since he'll always be stay at home.  I think those two make a good pairing. 

Just watched the game and I thought Engellend had a real good game.  Kept is simple and let Brodie do his stuff.

Let's hope he can keep it up.

Like to see how Schlemko does.  Not sure if he paired with Russell when on the Tigers and I guess they won't break up Wideman/Russell though it does seem strange to have 2 A's out on the same D shift.

Not that the A's have to talk to the ref's much nowadays.

Engellend played well.  He had that look in his eyes like he waited all year for this opportunity to show everybody he's not just a bottom pair guy.  He was positionally sound, always alert of his surroundings, and played mistake free.  He's also going to allow Brodie to go on the offense since he'll always be stay at home.  I think those two make a good pairing. 

The logical question thereffore is why didn't he try and prove that by playing like this all season?

Will he only play well if given top minutes? And then slack off again if he has to drop down the depth chart? Tht's definitely a concern.

If he is actually capable of playing this well reguarly? that makes him a solid guy I'd like to see kept (and I previously wanted him the first gone from the team), but only if he keeps up this play with a 15minute/game shift when Gio comes back next season. If he's going to only play well if he gets more time, then that's not an attitude I like.

Hopefully its just a turnaround, not an attitude issue. Just worries me.

I've read several comments over the years from players that it's actually easier to play big minutes than to have your shifts controlled so much. It's really hard to get into a grove when your minutes are more spare. I don't think there is any attitude problem with Engelland at all, he simply saw and opportunity and seized it which is exactly what you want to see a player do. I don't think I would use the work slack in his game at all. You can debate how much you like/dislike his game but I think there is no question he gives you what he has every night.

• Like 1

I can understand the comments about it being easier with longer shifts. You get into a rhythm and muscle meory takes over.

That said, if he CAN play this well, why HASN'T he been playing this well? I don't think its likely to be an attitude issue either given Harty and the team, but that may mean he isn't capable of playing this well consistently.

Either way, that's not a good thing going forward.

Bouwmeester made Butler look like a top 4 D at times. Brodie is good enough to play with a marginal D.

Engelland had a good game. Especially in the first two periods. But I am far from convinced he can do it for 20 more games. I hope I am wrong. But he has been pretty bad all season. I don't see more minutes and tougher minutes being the solution to his poor play. Even with Brodie.

I think there is merit to idea that you can get into a better rhythm by playing more.

When i play shinny and the bench is stacked, or if certain guys take long shifts, sometimes it's 6 to 7 minutes in between shifts.  When that happens, the first 20 seconds of skating again is getting the heart rate back up and getting the feel in the skates again.  I can imagine playing as a bottom pair D, end a shift with 5-minutes remaining, go into the locker room, don't take a shift until the 3rd minute of the second period, etc.  Such a long break inbetween shifts would create a challenge to staying sharp.

Yes, these are professional athletes but still.

I can understand the comments about it being easier with longer shifts. You get into a rhythm and muscle meory takes over.

That said, if he CAN play this well, why HASN'T he been playing this well? I don't think its likely to be an attitude issue either given Harty and the team, but that may mean he isn't capable of playing this well consistently.

Either way, that's not a good thing going forward.

Because he isn't that good. He was able to do it got a game but over the course of time he will revert back to what he is which is a decent bottom pairing Dman. I don't think anyone suggests they think Engelland has found a game he never had and now is going to prove himself as a top 4 Dman. He stepped up and had a good game that's all. Might have a few more in him but that's likely it.

I think it has more to do with his D partner and forwards he would be playing with, mostly Brodie.

When a player like Engelland plays with Diaz or Smid, he plays at their level, with Brodie he steps up a notch and looks better. In Pitts, this is probably why he looked a lot better.

Apparently Schlemko has quite the set of hands. SWEET shootout goal tonight.

He had just a little over 7 mins ice time, comes in and scores one of the sweetest goals I've ever seen in the shootout. When he did play he kept it simple, not too many glaring errors from what I could see and quietly went about his business. I think his ice time will go up eventually, once he's more acclimated to the systems and how the team plays.

Props to Schemlko great goal. The other I have to say I have been all over DE this year, but have been impressed with his last two games. How would have thought that a guy that struggles at bottom pairing but plays well in top 4, :wacko: . Hope he keeps it up.

Schlemko I think is that bottom pairing D who could play in the top 4 in a pinch we were looking for most of this season. That's a huge waiver pickp. Acccording to Hartly after the game, apparently he was good at this sort of thing in Junior (Russel says so anyway) so if we could add a shootout breaker to the team that would be another great pickup.

Definitely someone I would look to keep after this season.

Engellend, who I was the exact oppositie fo a fan of has played really well the last two (for him). I'm glad to see he is capable of doing that with big minutes. The problem is if he can only play well with a good partner and big minutes, I don't think he's a fit here. Gio and Brodie are the top pairing next year. I don't see Wideman or Russel losing much of their ice time. And Schlemko looks like he'll be outplaying him for a spot.

From a Cullen article on TSN...yikes:

Deryk Engelland – Being pressed into a role beyond his capability since Mark Giordano was injured, Engelland was on for three shot attempts for and 24 against (11.1%) in a 4-3 shootout win at Boston. Flames forward Drew Shore wasn’t much better (5 shot attempts for, 27 against, 15.6%).

From a Cullen article on TSN...yikes:

Deryk Engelland – Being pressed into a role beyond his capability since Mark Giordano was injured, Engelland was on for three shot attempts for and 24 against (11.1%) in a 4-3 shootout win at Boston. Flames forward Drew Shore wasn’t much better (5 shot attempts for, 27 against, 15.6%).

Calgary is not a puck position team, their system is not a puck possession system so..... 

These types of stats are more the norm for us and why Advanced Stats Guys scratch their heads(Clueless) as to why.....

There are very few decent advanced stats for our style of hockey..  You could look at blocked shots I suppose

I know the league is changing and fighting is less a part of the game, but still, you need some muscle sometimes.  Given Bollig already can't/shouldn't play a full 82-games, someone has to be standing by to drop the gloves.  Maybe Ferland?  Maybe Wolf?  Bouma is too small.  Until we replace that facet of the game full time, i think Engellend still has a place on this team.  Plus RHS RD which is key. 

I think our top 4 has proven to be top 4 material.  Giordano is Norris level.  Brodie is a 2/3 on any team in the NHL.  Russell and Wideman together is effective.  There's no need to add another top 4 into the mix.  Once we get Smid back, put Smid with Engellend and/or have Wotherspoon play full time next year and have Smid as the 7th D or trade his salary away.  Diaz should probably not be back next season.

Calgary is not a puck position team, their system is not a puck possession system so.....

These types of stats are more the norm for us and why Advanced Stats Guys scratch their heads(Clueless) as to why.....

There are very few decent advanced stats for our style of hockey.. You could look at blocked shots I suppose

I wonder too whether it's the young team we have that is driving the advanced stats down.

If we play the same system and our guys get better, would the advanced stats stay the same or improve?

I feel like the thing that hurts us most is face offs. We are constantly chasing. We have a puck moving D corps, with the exception of the 3rd pair, so essentially, I think it's more where we are at in the rebuild.

Guys are doing what it takes to win even though we don't have the puck.

I wonder too whether it's the young team we have that is driving the advanced stats down.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams?year=2015

According to NHLnumbers, the Flames are the 11th youngest team in the NHL.  There's this idea the Flames are one of the youngest because of Monahan, Gaudreau, etc but fact is, most of the team is made up of the Stajans, Hudlers, Widemans, etc.  They bring up the average age of the team.  The Flames are on average, on par with the rest of the league in terms of age.

There are very few decent advanced stats for our style of hockey..  You could look at blocked shots I suppose

I am not getting into another pro/con advanced stat debate .  But the Flames don't play some special system that requires special tracking.  

I am not getting into another pro/con advanced stat debate .  But the Flames don't play some special system that requires special tracking.  

Neither am I. I just said the system the Flames play does not lend itself to great Advanced Stats.

The Flames are what they are this year. Their system works for them because of the team systems they all buy into.

The blocked shots is just one good reason of why.