Flames Defense

CheersMan

The broadcasters mentioned that it looked like a hyperextended something in his arm/shoulder when he was slew footed (spelling).

Maybe a sprain of sorts? Hoping no tears or extreme damage, just hoping a light sprain where he is out 2-3 games.

Sounds like an "upper body injury" but my initial thoughts from watching the replay was he twisted his knees, fell, and landed on them hard.

Does anyone think Gio's injury is more precautionary? Treliving was asked that if it was safe to say Gio's season was over, we would know today? Wideman was asked about playing without Gio and he responded, "Oh, Gio isn't playing tonight? Somebody said that"? Now that may be sarcastic, but from what I see is the Flames definitely do not want to take the chance of Gio injuring himself further and want to make sure he is 100% fine. The preliminary tests may show he is good to go, and perhaps, they want to further check on it. Gio is still on Long Island, that's also a good sign. Treliving confirmed if was "upper body" which is good news, which means his wrist I presume and not his knee. I would be more worried about his knee then his wrist. But on top of the Flames being extra careful, tonight's game is the last game before trade deadline for the Flames and with Gio out, maybe it might spark more interest from other teams in terms of a trade. Maybe this is a precautionary and strategical move by the Flames?

We can only hope for the best. I am hoping to see Gio in the line up next Tues against Phily, along with another top 4 acquired by deadline day, in which it would look like Treliving would have to be more aggressive due to the "alleged" Giodano injury. The Treliving interview sounded oddly suspicious.

I can't see this as negotiating from a place of strength. Other gms may now think we NEED that other Dman in a deal and ask for more.

I can only see this as precautionary to be sure Gio doesn't further injure himself. If it seemed more serious he'd probably be on his way home by now, and checked over by doctors in Calgary.

My guess is there's swelling and they'd have to wait to assess when it goes down to get a proper diagnoses. Otherwise they'd have the answers by now? Not that I am a doctor or anything.

Sounds like an "upper body injury" but my initial thoughts from watching the replay was he twisted his knees, fell, and landed on them hard.

After replays, I thought he could have also landed on his shoulders, arms or hand awkwardly too. Ice being as slippery as it is, once he put his arm down, quite possibly he extended/twisted something the wrong way...?

The momentum carrying his weight through against the way his arm wants to go?

They also mentioned he followed through awkward on his stick.

I can't see this as negotiating from a place of strength. Other gms may now think we NEED that other Dman in a deal and ask for more.

I can only see this as precautionary to be sure Gio doesn't further injure himself. If it seemed more serious he'd probably be on his way home by now, and checked over by doctors in Calgary.

My guess is there's swelling and they'd have to wait to assess when it goes down to get a proper diagnoses. Otherwise they'd have the answers by now? Not that I am a doctor or anything.

True, but by not announcing the status of Gio's injury, it opens the door to teams who may be looking to make some cap space and get the negotiations started.  Had the Flames announced that Gio was done for the season, then, yes, other teams would hold bargaining power, but the Flames wanted an upgrade in their bottom 3 to begin with and by giving Engelland  a bigger role, sheltered by Brodie, it could open the door for a bad contract, such as James Wisniewski or Mike Green with possibly Engelland going the other way.

Gio was holding his wrist after the play.  I was more worried about the knee, as well.  I think his wrist is a little sore, and they are waiting to see the progression over the next couple days.  I would NOT be surprised to see Giordano back in the line up come Tuesday.

No matter what it is, this is really bad news for the Flames.

We're in the midst of a 6 way race for four spots. We can't afford to lose any games. And if they're serious about putting Engellend in the top pairing, no matter how good Brodie is, we're basically garunteed to lose.

Even 2-3 games could be season ending for us at this point. Scary.

No matter what it is, this is really bad news for the Flames.

We're in the midst of a 6 way race for four spots. We can't afford to lose any games. And if they're serious about putting Engellend in the top pairing, no matter how good Brodie is, we're basically garunteed to lose.

Even 2-3 games could be season ending for us at this point. Scary.

It's interesting though.  Dallas loses Seguin.  Vancouver loses Miller.  Chicago loses Kane.  Now, Flames lose Giordano.  Who's next?

From the replays I thought for sure it was his left leg. Man I hope he gets better quick. Just going to miss seeing him every game.

Edit: Could it be BT playing possum before the trade deadline? We don't play again until Tuesday. Or.. am I reading way too much into an injury?

Oh and thanks Kehatch! 

BT when pressed said upper body injury in his chat with reporters this morning.

I wonder if Hartleys thinking is that Brodie can cover a lot of Engelland mistakes and may actually make Engelland look better.

It's possible they double shift Wideman from time to time as he has had inflated minutes here and there throughout the season. We can see Wides with Brodie a bit tonight as well, or even a combo of Russell and Brodie too.

The good thing about it all is, all three of these guys are used to more minutes and have played more minutes before.

We will see what spotter can do?

(Lazy to correct my autocorrect) Potter

Also, I can see why Hartley wouldn't want to break up a pairing that definitely works.

When I read your comments I thought maybe we are showcasing him for a deadline trade......  ... 33lfdpx.gif

I thought Giordano looked injured when he blocked the shot with over a min left... looked like he blocked with his arm.. seemed to labor after that and then made his way back to the bench after the Backlund penalty was called bent over.  Likely just fatigue tho.

But on that final play Bernier jammed up his swing pretty good there...  a muscle sprain would be a common issue when something like that happens.... the chest, the shoulder or wrist.

The wrist would be most pain in the arse option there. ... tricky timeline... more chronic recovery due to constant requirement of use.

Overall, i wouldn't suspect he's out very long at all based on mechanism of injury.

From what I saw/heard from commentators, Giordano was skating no problem but could no power into any of his shots and didn't look comfortable stickhandling/shooting. I think its either a shoulder/forearm problem and likely some kind of a strain. The fact that he skated isnt' a bad thing, but based on how he looked there is defiantly an injury there that will impact him in the near future. He may end up playing but it certainly wouldn't be at 100%.

Edit: as I finished typing this, Flames put Gio on IR and sent him back to Calgary. The IR isn't a huge surprise that would only mean he miss another couple games but the fact they sent him back to Calgary is not good.

Schlemko is fine for depth and better then Potter. I agree that Wotherspoon isn't ready but they've really got no other call up options so on a waiver claim I'm fine with Schlemko. Just don't get your hopes up, he is barely an NHL dman.

Schlemko is fine for depth and better then Potter. I agree that Wotherspoon isn't ready but they've really got no other call up options so on a waiver claim I'm fine with Schlemko. Just don't get your hopes up, he is barely an NHL dman.

Regarding Spoon; he is as ready for the NHL this year as last year, when he played well after the first few games, leading up to his injury.

Hope he is.

Though I think Schlemko may be an upgrade on Engellend, he's no Gio. But its good to at least be bringing in an option.

Had hoped we'd get more out of the GlenX trade, but ah well.

If Gio is back in Calgary, I expect we don't see him till the next home game. If its just 4 we can survive that, but if its longer, we may be in trouble on the back end.

Regarding Spoon; he is as ready for the NHL this year as last year, when he played well after the first few games, leading up to his injury.

Wotherspoon was terrible defensively last year in his call up. He had a team low -20.71 SAT/60 last year amongst defensemen.