Flames Defense

CheersMan

Have to give a shout out to Diaz who has been playing pretty well lately.

Here is an interesting stat I came across today. I never realized Wideman has been so steady on the penalty kill.

ccc825116c10d4956a2e188dd9a35599.png

Pretty amazing actually. This chart so really shows how competent (or incompetent) Smid and Engelland have been.

We're always down on our defensive prospects, but really, for any of them - Wotherspoon, Potter, Kanzig, etc see bolded part.

Potter isn't a prospect, but is no better than Engelland. Can only comment on Wotherspoon; he was good by the end of his call-up last season. Only reason to bring him up is if he plays every night. He would need to play left D and have Diaz play right D.

I think we need a Regher style guy on the 3rd pair or 2nd pair; a guy that plays shut-down and makes the other team think twice about taking liberties. Engelland only polices the ice when he plays, so Johnny and Raymond (smaller guys) will get nailed on occasion.

I doubt Potter could pssibly be worse then Engellend though. Might be worth at least looking. (I know he's not a prospect, but what else do you call guys in the AHL that's one word?)

Wotherspoon should play every night in place of Engellend. Again, can't be anything but an improvement.

We do need a big tough guy on the back end, hopefully that's what we'll see if GlenX gets traded.

I doubt Potter could pssibly be worse then Engellend though. Might be worth at least looking. (I know he's not a prospect, but what else do you call guys in the AHL that's one word?)

Wotherspoon should play every night in place of Engellend. Again, can't be anything but an improvement.

We do need a big tough guy on the back end, hopefully that's what we'll see if GlenX gets traded.

Depth 

There is a reason nobody offered Potter a 1 way contract and multiple teams offered Engellend a raise from last years salary. Potter is not an NHL defensemen at this point. 

I can only assume that's based off the fact he played on the pens. I've never seen Potter play a game so perhaps others can fill me in on what's wrong with him.

But looking purely at NHL stats:

Engellend - 296GP 13G 28A 51P -12 352PIM

Potter - 123GP 8G 24A 32P -10 53PIM

10 pounds and 1 inch shorter for Potter.

On the surface I guess Engellend looks better, but if you adjust it for an equal number of games played (dividing Engellend's totals by .4155 to 123GP):

Engellend - 5.4G 15.8A 21.2P -5.4 145PIM

Potter ------- 8G 24A 32P  -10 53PIM

Most of Potter's stats come with the Oilers (12 games on other teams), while all of Engellend's before this year come with the Penguins.

Maybe someone who's seem Potter play can tell me what he does that's so bad, but from empiric data he can't possibly be any worse.

Depth 

Noted for future posting.

Who steps up into the top pairing tonight, with Gio out?

If it was me I would go with.

Russell/Brodie

Wotherspoon/Wideman

Diaz/Engelland

There is a chance that Hartley goes with 7D, to help offset the loss of a 25 minute D-man.  Forcing Russell or Wideman into 1st pair is a risky move.  Spoon could probably play close to those minutes, but he still only had 14 NHL games.

There is a chance that Hartley goes with 7D, to help offset the loss of a 25 minute D-man.  Forcing Russell or Wideman into 1st pair is a risky move.  Spoon could probably play close to those minutes, but he still only had 14 NHL games.

Yeah I like the 7D also.  Think it might be interesting to see Wotherspoon with Brodie.... baptism by fire.  

The only D that makes sense with Brodie is Russell. Wideman doesn't have the defensive chops, and you would be moving Brodie to the left side which he isn't used to.  Engelland, Potter, and Diaz aren't even options IMO.  Wotherspoon isn't ready, though I would put him with Wideman.  

Russell-Brodie

Wotherspoon-Wideman

Diaz-Engelland

Potter

If they want to run 7D to shelter Wotherspoon some that is fine.  

The only D that makes sense with Brodie is Russell. Wideman doesn't have the defensive chops, and you would be moving Brodie to the left side which he isn't used to.  Engelland, Potter, and Diaz aren't even options IMO.  Wotherspoon isn't ready, though I would put him with Wideman.  

Russell-Brodie

Wotherspoon-Wideman

Diaz-Engelland

Potter

If they want to run 7D to shelter Wotherspoon some that is fine.  

I think it would make sense to put Spoon (LHS) with Brodie to keep the other pairings in tact.  Potter is not an NHL capable defenseman in my opinion.  If you want to use him as a 7th D, then swap out Engelland.

I think it would make sense to put Spoon (LHS) with Brodie to keep the other pairings in tact. Potter is not an NHL capable defenseman in my opinion. If you want to use him as a 7th D, then swap out Engelland.

I get what you are saying but Brodie plays against the other teams top lines, I am not ready to throw Wotherspoon to the wolves like that, especially not the wolf known as John Tavares.

I trust Russell to be able pick up some of the slack as he has played well this year. Wideman playing against top lines is pretty scary as well.

I like the idea of going with 7D just to spread out the minutes a bit.

I get what you are saying but Brodie plays against the other teams top lines, I am not ready to throw Wotherspoon to the wolves like that, especially not the wolf known as John Tavares.

I trust Russell to be able pick up some of the slack as he has played well this year. Wideman playing against top lines is pretty scary as well.

Agreed

Looking for a thread on Gio and his injury. Anyone have any information?

At this point, the playoffs are secondary to getting him back healthy for me.

No info except he has an upper body injury, he isn't playing tonight, and he is still being assessed before a full update is given. It doesn't sound good.

No info except he has an upper body injury, he isn't playing tonight, and he is still being assessed before a full update is given. It doesn't sound good.

From the replays I thought for sure it was his left leg. Man I hope he gets better quick. Just going to miss seeing him every game.

Edit: Could it be BT playing possum before the trade deadline? We don't play again until Tuesday. Or.. am I reading way too much into an injury?

Oh and thanks Kehatch! 

The projected lines are downright scary:

Brodie/Engelland

Russell/Wideman

Diaz/Potter

I get what you are saying about Spoon being fed to the Wolves.  But, if you manage the minutes, Russel could double shift in Spoon's place.  You also have Potter available to spell off some of the extra minutes.

The last thing I want to see is BNrodie playing his wrong side with Engelland.  Potter was bad enough not to last on the Oilers.  Spoon has played 2nd pairing minutes last year.

I wonder if Hartleys thinking is that Brodie can cover a lot of Engelland mistakes and may actually make Engelland look better.

It's possible they double shift Wideman from time to time as he has had inflated minutes here and there throughout the season. We can see Wides with Brodie a bit tonight as well, or even a combo of Russell and Brodie too.

The good thing about it all is, all three of these guys are used to more minutes and have played more minutes before.

We will see what spotter can do?

(Lazy to correct my autocorrect) Potter

Also, I can see why Hartley wouldn't want to break up a pairing that definitely works.

Does anyone think Gio's injury is more precautionary?   Treliving was asked that if it was safe to say Gio's season was over, we would know today?  Wideman was asked about playing without Gio and he responded, "Oh, Gio isn't playing tonight?  Somebody said that"?  Now that may be sarcastic, but from what I see is the Flames definitely do not want to take the chance of Gio injuring himself further and want to make sure he is 100% fine.  The preliminary tests may show he is good to go, and perhaps, they want to further check on it.  Gio is still on Long Island, that's also a good sign.  Treliving confirmed if was "upper body" which is good news, which means his wrist I presume and not his knee.  I would be more worried about his knee then his wrist.  But on top of the Flames being extra careful, tonight's game is the last game before trade deadline for the Flames and with Gio out, maybe it might spark more interest from other teams in terms of a trade.  Maybe this is a precautionary and strategical move by the Flames?

We can only hope for the best.  I am hoping to see Gio in the line up next Tues against Phily, along with another top 4 acquired by deadline day, in which it would look like Treliving would have to be more aggressive due to the "alleged" Giodano injury.  The Treliving interview sounded oddly suspicious.