Coach Hartley Quotes

CheersMan

Oct 29, 2013

“I felt that Sven (Baertschi) had a real strong game, was skating, was first in the corners. He made some great plays. The part with the puck, he has it. What he has to learn is to compete for a full 60-minutes. There’s some dirty areas out there. It’s not all chocolate cake out there. You need to put your working gloves on, you have to put your boots and you have to dig in corners, battle in front of the net and he’s a young player and like many young players, you can’t just do the parts that you like.”

Oct 15, 2014

On Gio and Brodie and what others around the NHL think of them as a defensive pairing.

“Our defensive core is probably one of the best kept secrets in the league, you know like….maybe we can keep this just between our little group here, I don’t have any problem with this”.

It was an exciting game to watch, coach; and awesome to see our players perform so efficiently and enthusiastically.Mind you the penalty calls were just insane, but considering the Flames' reaction, I believe that it is worth considering that this team has a certain aggressiveness that can not be taken for granted.

The tying goal by the Blackhawks had been disconcerting presumably because it had ruined the perfect penalty killing record.  Besides, Jonas Hiller would have been thrilled to get a shut out.  Nevertheless, it wasn't meant to be.  That said, the ending was just superb.  Mikael Backlund worked wonders.  

Great going coach.  

"The beauty of NHL players versus school, they get a report card every day. It’s a daily report card. It’s not about semester or anything. It’s daily. It can change, it can get better, it can get worse and it goes for everyone. I don’t coach contracts. I don’t coach age. I coach results. I coach performances. That’s where we’re at. This organization, if we’re going to move forward, accountability has to be a big, big factor." - Hartley

On Gaudreau watching from the pressbox:

"He's learning about pro hockey," the bench boss explained. "There's many games within the game and he's a great young man; he wants to learn, he wants to do it. I think it's a normal process. Obviously he was disappointed but he reacted like a good young pro. Looking at him on the ice this morning, he was good, he was flying. We're going to do what's best for Johnny."

This is what I love about Coach, he is always building guys up. He rarely has an "I give up I'm tearing him down" moment with any player.

No wonder Torts hated him lol

• 2 weeks later...

“There are too many freebies in pro sports,” explained Hartley. “When there are freebies, usually it doesn’t equate to success. Accountability is out the door."

“As a coach in pro sports, you’re always being judged. It’s like having your office under a microscope. Fans rate you. Your bosses rate you. Media rates you – and the players rate you. They rate every one of your decisions … and that’s the way it is."

“The best way to build something, and to hope for success, is with honesty. If it doesn’t start with hard work, I don’t know. I never went to school, so I only know about hard work. Hard work creates standards."

From Duhatchek. I think through his hard work, he will also earn his contract. I would want to see him win the cup here in Calgary and with that kind of coach, there is no doubt in my mind that a Cup in the future with him is possible.

(from NHL.com)

"It reminded me of one day when I was a kid, I was fishing for brook trout and I caught a nice one but I dropped it between two rocks. With frozen fingers I tried to catch a trout that is dangling between two rocks; it's a tough one and I was scared to lose it. That's how I felt tonight. It was one of those wild ones."

— Flames coach Bob Hartley after a 6-4 win against the Panthers on Saturday

• 4 weeks later...

“He’s a calm young man, who wants to do well – it’s all on the inside,” said coach Bob Hartley. “The way that he manages his own life, the way that he manages what he does, that’s impressive, very impressive. He’s low maintenance. It’s like riding a canoe on a small lake – there’s no big waves with Monny.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When asked about Lance Bouma;

"I love Booms"

When asked about David Wolf;

"He’s great, I watch him every day. He comes and sits on the bench and he watches practice. I’ve rarely seen this. He’s the first one here in the morning.  He’s enjoying every second.  It’s Christmas every day with Wolfie.  He has a big smile.”

When asked about Crosby and Malkin coming to town;

“They better get ready and put the awe away before the game because the way that Crosby and Malkin play, you can’t get caught watching because the red light’s going to be on in no time,”

• 4 weeks later...

Archived