Jiri Hudler

conundrumed

There's a small group of us who believe that he shouldn't get traded. Deeds comes to mind when remembering those who think he's more valuable to the Flames than a prospect or pick we'd get in return. We've discussed his value, having won with the Redwings. He brings in a winning attitude, and he knows first hand from that experience what it takes. To replace him with someone else the Flames may not get the same benefits Hudler brings to the table. 

Giordano is one guy. Yes the Captain. Leadership by committee works a lot better than having one guy rule the roost. We need Hudler to be that leader to teach our kids how to lead when they move on or retire. Keep him as long as we can!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the mantra of: Get  a player for him while we still can. He's just an asset and worth something so better the team. 

If a player likes and is contributing to the culture of your team then they should have the chance to stay. It's weird and not very loyal of fans who think we should ship them out once they're used up. What have you done for me lately? Although, I was one who suggested we trade Iginla well before we did. I think I was about 3-4 years beforehand, I felt he was one we could get 3-5 players while he was in his prime and those players would have added to the team nature, which this team has bought into. 

Something that is making this team successful is, they all have to rely on each other to win games. It's not one guy or one line. 

I think Hudler is one of those guys who we need to keep over anyone else (not including Giordano and some prospects).

In real terms he definitely has trade value but right now Hudler is providing a lot more here than most realize. There will be a time to either trade or extend him but that time isn't now. We may have some excess building within the ranks to do some good deals without considering the trade of Hudler.

We've discussed his value, having won with the Redwings. He brings in a winning attitude, and he knows first hand from that experience what it takes.

I really hypothesize with Jiri's time with Detroit.

He came from one of the best coach's in the league that keeps his team competitive regardless of what the general consensus is. He's doing it again this year.

It tends to leave me in a bit of a quandary of, "how much did he bring to us from that experience"?

I can clearly see, with the young guys running through Hudler, that Hartley trusts Jiri is all in on the plan.

But it really makes me wonder, how much have Hartley and Hudler discussed the style of play???

Hudler looks happy as heck to be here, so I ponder how much of our change in style of play over the last few years was a little nursed by Hudler knowing what Babcock would do???

Not removing Hartley's great coaching from the equation by any stretch, just the fact Hudler seems the forward leader makes me wonder how deep it actually goes....over-thinking it I know...but still!!

8 pts in 4 games. Jiri's been a streaky scorer in this league. But he looks like he has that something this year. He's connecting with everyone, and everyone's starting to connect with him. He's becoming a constant!!

He blew me away in camp this year. He's definitely the 1 guy that floored me.

Really interested to see if he sets career highs this year. Without Zetterberg lol.

8 pts in 4 games. Jiri's been a streaky scorer in this league. But he looks like he has that something this year. He's connecting with everyone, and everyone's starting to connect with him. He's becoming a constant!!

He blew me away in camp this year. He's definitely the 1 guy that floored me.

Really interested to see if he sets career highs this year. Without Zetterberg lol.

I would say he is a pretty consistent 50 point guy. Last year was his second best year, and that was on a team that scored by committee. He is already half way to last year's total after 24 games. I can easily see him surpassing last year's totals by a wide margin. He is on a great line right now, with the emerging Johnny Hockey and a solid center, whether that be Jooris or Granlund.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And yeah, I know no shame.

I keep bumping my own thread!

But hey, can you blame me?

I don't mean it in an "I told you so" way, I despise that.

Just a full on Hudler fan, due to camp and exhibition games at the outset.

Hiller's been a calming influence on this team for sure, but I'm suspecting Hudler really has too.

His gwg last night v Detroit, watch the replays. He said something to Gaudreau in the celebration, and I'm guessing it was something to the effect of, "I wanted to hit your stick, the puck rolled up on me".

I'm just guessing, but watch the replay again, Johnny's stick is right there, and the puck definitely rides up on his stick.

5 months ago he was trade fodder, I told you so! :P:ph34r:

Hudler is one of my favourites too. Even though Detroit is doing just fine without him, I think they probably should've kept him.

I love how everyone gave it to the Flames when they signed him, about him not being what he is now, overpaying, etc. Third liner and only gets his points on a great Detroit team.

I loved how he has played his whole time in Calgary. One thing we should all know being fans of the sport, there's a high likelihood that a player is inconsistent, otherwise they'd be 100+ point players. 50-60+ points in the nhl is really good.

Love the Huds

... Or 80+ points per season. 100 is over exaggeration.

I would say he is a pretty consistent 50 point guy. Last year was his second best year, and that was on a team that scored by committee. He is already half way to last year's total after 24 games. I can easily see him surpassing last year's totals by a wide margin. He is on a great line right now, with the emerging Johnny Hockey and a solid center, whether that be Jooris or Granlund.

Ok, so now he is projecting to 72 points. With the kids he has been lights out. And look.....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=757229&navid=DL|NHL|home

NHL first star of the week. Woot.

1st star indeed, 4 straight multi-point games, and near bagged a couple more!

To keep the shootout going, rips a slapshot top shelf...how's that for confidence??

When we need our best to step up, Hello!

edit

I just read my original post for the 1st time in months.

Yeah, it was camp that made me start a thread for Jiri.

He was doing a ton of leading, and it was obvious.

But more than that even, it was how he was doing it, so casual about it.

Just pumping tires, it seemed. And playing like a leader.

I'm as shocked as everyone else that he's still all casually making it fun.

We are easily, in my definite opinion, the most entertaining team in the league. And by a lot!

Jiri's a big leader in that, imho.

There were hard feelings in Detroit, he even walked and spent a year in the K.

He had a chance to spread his wings with us.

He's doing just that.

I'm a Wings fan too.

I always liked Hudler, and time heals all wounds. He wasn't consistent in D, but they had their stars, he was about 5th on the list.

In hindsight, this doesn't surprise me, he's found a place to grow.

He'll only get better imho.

Anyone watch the video posted today interviewing Hudler. Two questions about him with Johnny Hockey and Sean Monahan, First one was about his impact on them to which he talked about how he didn't have that big an impact, they are just great players who are working hard for what they've done. The second was about his chemistry with the two of them. And his response cracked me up, "I've never had line mates I could yell at before." and "And they can't even yell back."

The guy has a sense of humour.

He's sounds like he's humble to boot.

I have very little doubt in my mind that he has had a major impact in directly mentoring Gaudreau,  Granlund, Jooris, & Monahan.

The rest of the team also benefits from his leading by example.

Truly one of the best Flames signings in many years.

• 1 month later...
A well deserved nomination to one of the gentlemen of the sports. He isn't yappy or chippy, and when he takes a penalty it usually is to prevent a scoring chance. He always sells his own accomplishments short, saying he is just part of a great line or team.

Not to be a homer (but I am) but, he deserves it as much or more than Pavel or Anze.

Datsyuk won it for like, 6 yrs in a row. I think they got tired of giving it to him, but he is on the ballot every year.

For part of those 6 yrs in a row, I think Hudler was spongeing as a youngster.

Now he's our vet.

He's been so good for a team Hartley quipped "I feel like it's Romper Room with all of the kids" early on.

Kopitar is one of my faves too. I love how he plays. But he also has a whole lot of experienced team around him.

I think Jiri might bring this thing in, pretty sure he began the year with the least to work with, hence greater source of frustration.

I can easily see him getting the nod.

Not even Oilers fans would object.

Anyone smell opossum?

I don't mean solely Hudler, I mean in the coaching?

With so many comeback wins this year, I think it's fair to wonder.

"Here's the team you thought you were playing....aaaand here's the team you're playing now".

He breaks everything down in the regs into 7 game series...*rubs chin*...hmmm...

Anyone smell opossum?

I don't mean solely Hudler, I mean in the coaching?

With so many comeback wins this year, I think it's fair to wonder.

"Here's the team you thought you were playing....aaaand here's the team you're playing now".

He breaks everything down in the regs into 7 game series...*rubs chin*...hmmm...

I think Hartley is a good coach for the Flames because he doesn't ride them when they are down. He lets the vets, offensive D-men and scoring forwards take over. Johnny demands to play more and it's hard to resist since he lets his play dictate his icetime. Hudler shows his vet presence by giving the kids kudos, and by letting them hear it when they don't deserve it.

Hudler is one of the biggest reasons this team finished well last year and is competing for the cup this year. He leads with his play and his support of his line mates.

Archived