Jiri Hudler

conundrumed

I think you have to use Backlund as a shutdown guy. We don't have anyone else that can play with the other teams top lines.

Good call on Jooris though. He probably fits better then Baertschi right now. Looks like they are going:

Hudler-Monahan-Setoguchi

Glencross-Backlund-Byron

Raymond-Colborne-Gaudreau

Bollig-Stajan-Bouma

Jones is still hurt. If they are insisting on playing Setoguchi I prefer to see him and Gaudreau swapped.

Johnny - Mony - Hudler

Raymond - Colborne - Setoguchi?

I'm ok with that. Seto wouldn't really hurt the Raymond/Colby matchup. Johnny would help the Mony/Hudler matchup. Sounds better than playing Raymond on his offwing and Hudler on a different wing than normal.

If they are thinking Johnny on RW to get him away from Seth or Weber. I think Johnny could use the RW to stay away from the boards and go to the net off-wing.

I prefer that they play Hudler on RW, where he had most of his success.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I avidly agree with your tinkering on the line combos, just not completely with your last statement.

Hudler had good success in Detroit playing at LW & C.

Only in Calgary has he played well at RW.

That said, I'd rather have him there than Gaudreau.

JG is better served starting his NHL career at his natural LW position.

I've gotta take this off topic, but it's my thread, what the hey.

Johnny needs 20-odd games at least.

Nobody, but NOBODY, can tell me how we should be using him.

The kid has amazing feet, let him adjust. I trust he'll be something.

He'll learn his spaces with foot speed like that. Give him time, stop worrying about how the coaching lines him up.

If a simpleton like me can see it, I'm certain the coaching sees it.

I've gotta take this off topic, but it's my thread, what the hey.

Johnny needs 20-odd games at least.

Nobody, but NOBODY, can tell me how we should be using him.

The kid has amazing feet, let him adjust. I trust he'll be something.

He'll learn his spaces with foot speed like that. Give him time, stop worrying about how the coaching lines him up.

If a simpleton like me can see it, I'm certain the coaching sees it.

Hudler belongs on RW in Calgary. Johnny belongs on LW. No mystery there. The mystery is why the coach would try him on RW. I gave some reason on how it could work, but not really in favour of it. If it works, then he is another Hudler.

Hudler belongs on RW in Calgary. Johnny belongs on LW. No mystery there. The mystery is why the coach would try him on RW. I gave some reason on how it could work, but not really in favour of it. If it works, then he is another Hudler.

I am not an NHL coach.  But for a kid straight out of college I would think trying a new position in his first 3 NHL games might be a bit too much transition.  Especially since he hasn't started rolling yet.  

I am not an NHL coach.  But for a kid straight out of college I would think trying a new position in his first 3 NHL games might be a bit too much transition.  Especially since he hasn't started rolling yet.

I just hope they don't Byron him; make him have to play every position that is available. Byron adapted because his skill is speed. He has made a niche for himself in Calgary. I don't think you do that with a pure skill guy like Johnny. They tried to turn Baertschi into a 2-way player, and while wingers have to know how to play without the puck, you can't waste goal scoring ability.

^^^ Gaudreau has to find a rhythm still. Three games 3 different line mates, and different positions. IMO when the opposition know your the only offensive threat on the ice you get keyed on,  Hudler and Mony could be the best combination. JH has the speed to create turnovers which he has, he isn't a defensive liability. Where is really ineffective is the dump and chase, we need better puck possession. 

I am sure we will see all kinds of combos from Hartley, even some of yours. LOL

Anyways I just don't think we are doing Gaudreau or the team any good having him on a 3rd line here.

Obviously some thought went into bringing Setoguchi here to play RW so they could move Colborne to C and you have to get some mileage out of Jones on RW. Hudler is the best option at LW on Monahan's line right now.

We will have to see how it all shakes out.

Hudler plays really well with Monahan, and has played quite a bit on RW. Find a LW that works with those two; most likely Raymond is a good fit. Put Johnny with Backlund and a RHS (Jones or Setoguchi); the lise will start to click once they get used to accurate passing. GlenX with Colborne and Byron will provide grit with speed. Bouma belongs on the 4th line; alternate him with Bollig on LW. Play him with Stajan and McGrattan/Setoguchi (one truculent player at a time).

Not a great lineup with McGrattan or Bollig, but better than having both at the same time.

Raymond - Monahan - Hudler
Johnny - Backlund - Jones
GlenX - Colborne - Byron
Bouma/Bollig - Stajan - Setoguchi/McGrattan
Ex. Bollig and McGrattan

878f50ed391a732ca884f6cb9e36940b.png

Good to see him back in.  Would prefer him on RW, since he has thrived at that spot.  Setoguchi will hopefully be a contributor to this line, or they should just move Johnny to the LW and Hudler to RW.  I give Seto about one period to show he can hang with these guys.

I want to see Hudler notch up points again this year.  He has been a contributor for this team in many ways.  To me, he has shown he was worth the contract.  Compared to some of the recent signings, he is a bargain.

Good to see him back in.  Would prefer him on RW, since he has thrived at that spot.  Setoguchi will hopefully be a contributor to this line, or they should just move Johnny to the LW and Hudler to RW.  I give Seto about one period to show he can hang with these guys.

I want to see Hudler notch up points again this year.  He has been a contributor for this team in many ways.  To me, he has shown he was worth the contract.  Compared to some of the recent signings, he is a bargain.

Hear hear on the bolded. He's shown nothing to prove he belongs here. People can talk about sample size, but the allegations coming in were that he is getting down with it.

It hasn't shown. In camp, in preseason.

Not showing. Show now or cut ties, if possible...

Hear hear on the bolded. He's shown nothing to prove he belongs here. People can talk about sample size, but the allegations coming in were that he is getting down with it.

It hasn't shown. In camp, in preseason.

Not showing. Show now or cut ties, if possible...

I get the shortage of RHS for RW, but moving Hudler to LW and forcing Johnny Hockey to RW is not a great solution for using Setoguchi. Even Colborne looks like a better option on RW (so far). Seto was plan B after they didn't sign Hayes, but lets be serious about this; if he has lost his game, send him to the farm to get it back. I would rather see a 100% Jooris than a 80% Seto.

Why not have Baertschi play with Backlund and Setoguchi RW as a  3rd line. If you are going to run with Gaudreau you might as well give Baertschi the same treatment. Let Gaudreau as you say play LW on the Monahan line with Hudler on RW.

I don't have any issue with Baertschi being recalled, but that means someone gets the waiver treatment.

Take your pick: McGrattan, Bouma, Byron, Bollig, Setoguchi. Jones is injured. GlenX is an 'A'.

I sure like the way Jiri Hudler plays...He seems to be a quiet person by nature, but then again, I could be mistaken because I see him as a soft spoken player.  He is well deserving of a leadership role - a quality that is recognized by work ethics and friendly nature.  

Hudler is a team player for sure.  Hooray Jiri..  Hats off to you!!  

I checked capgeek & we're close enough to trade Hudler for picks/prospects as the replacement will likely be earning north of the .8 needed.

We're 3rd in the division but have also played the most games. All realists know that ain't gonna last any more then Rick Nash being the leading scorer or Al Montoya being the Vezina goalie with a 100% save average.

Most teams already have cap space to take Hudler & by deadline even the few that don't should as they'd be sending back @ least some salary.

I'd love to swing a trade with Minnesota once they cool down. I'd add a pick to get Coyle & add Baertschi if they add Dumba.

For me I have no idea why they picked up Setoguchi in the first place. Second would be Byron, if Gaudreau is as good as being touted Byron is expendable IMO.

Hopefully Setoguchi has a good season & is wanted near the trade deadline. :lol:

Sorry, I see absolutely no reason to trade Hudler this season unless some team is willing to drastically overpay for him.

He provides great value for his $4M salary and is signed for two years.

Perhaps if we have enough quality AHL grads next year, he might be trade deadline bait.

If not, and his skill level remains the same, I would offer him another contract (max 3 years).

I checked capgeek & we're close enough to trade Hudler for picks/prospects as the replacement will likely be earning north of the .8 needed.

We're 3rd in the division but have also played the most games. All realists know that ain't gonna last any more then Rick Nash being the leading scorer or Al Montoya being the Vezina goalie with a 100% save average.

Most teams already have cap space to take Hudler & by deadline even the few that don't should as they'd be sending back @ least some salary.

I'd love to swing a trade with Minnesota once they cool down. I'd add a pick to get Coyle & add Baertschi if they add Dumba.

Hopefully Setoguchi has a good season & is wanted near the trade deadline. :lol:

Would love to have Coyle and Dumba.  That would push us onto othe upswing of the rebuild, imho (both combined).

My vote is in for this, or something like it.

I'm a huge Hudler fan, just for the record.  This is in no way a knock on him.

• 1 month later...

With the exception of a one night hatrick for Raymond Hudler is the only veteran at forward who has stepped up this season. The Flames are unlikely to trade him if that trend continues.

5 weeks later, great call.

I started this thread after watching him in camp and exhibition when I think I truly saw who this guy is.

I'm on a "pumping tires" kick now after watching Hudler with the young guys and hearing Hartley in the media.

Hudler is fully on board with his role in this program, he's mentoring the kids. It's been easy for me to establish that he is performing in that role.

His trade value, for me, to remove him from this team, has skyrocketed. He coached Jooris in his first game on the bench, now he's with Granlund. I heard mention in the media that he's "a quiet leader". But what I've seen from him, he never shuts up!

Hudler's line-mates appear to agree with you about Jiri never shutting up, lol

IMO, he has been arguably the most valuable forward on the Flames so far this season.

Between his production, leadership, and mentoring of the young players, no other forward is contributing as much to Calgary's early success.

5 weeks later, great call.

I started this thread after watching him in camp and exhibition when I think I truly saw who this guy is.

I'm on a "pumping tires" kick now after watching Hudler with the young guys and hearing Hartley in the media.

Hudler is fully on board with his role in this program, he's mentoring the kids. It's been easy for me to establish that he is performing in that role.

His trade value, for me, to remove him from this team, has skyrocketed. He coached Jooris in his first game on the bench, now he's with Granlund. I heard mention in the media that he's "a quiet leader". But what I've seen from him, he never shuts up!

He didn't do so well with Roman Cervenka though... but brought Monahan into the NHL nicely last season.  Moving forward, if this team wants to get better quickly, then they need more Hudlers. 

He didn't do so well with Roman Cervenka though... but brought Monahan into the NHL nicely last season.  Moving forward, if this team wants to get better quickly, then they need more Hudlers. 

There is a fair bit of difference between Cervenka and the younger guys like Monahan, Jooris, Gaudreau and Granlund. Though Cervenka was only slightly older than Jooris, he had spent considerable time in a professional league as an established player which gives him a bit of a different mentality. Combine that with the high expectations to be a top producer (as tends to happen when you are the "Best forward not in the NHL.") it makes the approach completely different.

Monahan was already a leader at the junior level, but by all accounts is an eager student of the game (Winter Olympics he chose to work on his game rather than vacation like a lot of non-Olympian players). Jooris has had to earn everything he has achieved so far and continues to work hard, also him (and Gaudreau) taking the college route they are used to having to constantly learn and are, on a psychological scale, more prepared to take advice/learn/study from established players. Granlund while having played at a Pro level before is still quite young and impressionable, combined with his brother probably helping him along in the off-season made him more used to taking advice from other players. And a year in North America as well probably helped him adapt his game already.

As a whole, Hudler's greatest strength to our team is the fact that he is, essentially, another coach. His off ice efforts with the young guys are invaluable. I doubt many players could produce at the level he has with our team and have such a positive attitude about our rebuild while making such a massive impact on the development of the guys who will be the leaders and stars of our team in the future. If only one of these young guys develops into the off-ice personality that we have in Hudler as far as helping everyone out, coaching on the fly, helping them adapt to both the adult life (in some of these cases like Monahan last year) and life in the NHL, the investment we made on that "overpayment" (remember when everyone was saying we overpayed for him? Don't hear that much anymore), Hudler will seem like one of the best bargains in the team history.

Archived