Jiri Hudler

conundrumed

I see Hudler brought up, mainly as trade bait, in other threads. But I don't see a thread for him.

He deserves one.

So this is the Jiri Hudler positivity thread.

It's time to forget Detroit, Hudler is becoming a consummate teammate and a guy that's great for the franchise.

Here's a few points to bring up, you decide if this is a guy that you want to "get maximum trade value" for:

He's vocal, he talks to his teammates on the ice and on the bench.

In camp, he is easily the best player on the ice. He is also the most supportive vocally with his teammates.

He opened his home to Mony to start last year, chemistry is a foregone conclusion, and I'm guessing the staff is all, "yup, attach them at the hip".

His wrister from the high slot in yesterday's scrimmage, I'm not sure ANYONE knows where it hit but assumed the back crossbar frame. He blazed it faster than the eye could see. It was one of those, "eeeh, I don't know, look for the fresh dent"...

Not-Flames-Fans friends of Detroit and the Oil tell me they love Hudler, because he's always the last guy off the ice in a practice or pre-game skate, tossing pucks to kids and wearing a smile. A lot of respect for him.

So come tdl and "maybe we can get a 1st for Hudler", I'm gonna make a preseason prediction and go with "no".

I think Hudler is really stepping into a leadership role, and I predict he's going to have a very good year, and that we can come to expect it.

Lots of love for Jiri, we tend to underrate him, it seems to me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has bothered me somewhat too that as soon as we get a player who shows some talent and gets near 30 yrs of age, that our fans are ready to trade him off so easily.

It does not bother me as much now as say last year. Some people are just idiots and want to trade players around like they are in  fantasy pools. That strategy may work for a fantasy pool but it is a very poor strategy for building up an NHL hockey team. Glencross is another vet in this situation too.

Hudler brings all the above you mentioned to the table and he has a SC ring. We don't have another player with both a SC Ring and SC playoff games under his belt on our roster do we?

It has bothered me somewhat too that as soon as we get a player who shows some talent and gets near 30 yrs of age, that our fans are ready to trade him off so easily.

It does not bother me as much now as say last year. Some people are just idiots and want to trade players around like they are in  fantasy pools. That strategy may work for a fantasy pool but it is a very poor strategy for building up an NHL hockey team. Glencross is another vet in this situation too.

Hudler brings all the above you mentioned to the table and he has a SC ring. We don't have another player with both a SC Ring and SC playoff games under his belt on our roster do we?

We don't have anybody else that scores as much either.  If he ends up a complimentary scoring forward down the road, then he is what he was in Detroit.  He is a skills guy, so he may just need to play with similar types to keep that scoring going.

Couldn't agree with you more DD. People have to realize we can't just run a team with a bunch of kids and no vets otherwise we ll quickly turn into the Oilers. I think Hudler and Glen X have a lot to offer to our team possibly for a couple more years.

I could understand if it was an offer that heavily favored us but I'm not much of a fan of just flipping players for picks or prospects just cause they re older when they still have something to offer.

Couldn't agree with you more DD. People have to realize we can't just run a team with a bunch of kids and no vets otherwise we ll quickly turn into the Oilers. I think Hudler and Glen X have a lot to offer to our team possibly for a couple more years.

I could understand if it was an offer that heavily favored us but I'm not much of a fan of just flipping players for picks or prospects just cause they re older when they still have something to offer.

I also wonder how much credit the rest of the league actually gives him. He's a lot better than a lot give him credit for me thinks. So I don't think you'd get what he's worth in the long run. And a pick can be just a pick, when his other intangibles aren't being accounted in any deals we'd make to ship him out. 

I say keep him. He has turned into one of my favourite players, if not, my favourite. :) 

He was a steal, it's great to have him here.

There is no denying that he has trade value, I must point out that even this discussion should be nothing more than a compliment to him. It is more a reflection of his value, and the position that he plays (LW), than anything else.

I do not believe there are many, if any at all, Hudler haters in existence.

He was a steal, it's great to have him here.

There is no denying that he has trade value, I must point out that even this discussion should be nothing more than a compliment to him. It is more a reflection of his value, and the position that he plays (LW), than anything else.

I do not believe there are many, if any at all, Hudler haters in existence.

Welcome back JJ.  Ortio has been traded....JK.

Never had a problem with the signing, as he was meant to be complimentary.  We moved from that original plan, and he has become the top points producer.  He can continue to challenge for the top spot, or get passed by one of our up-and-coming (which means they stepped up big time).  Either way we have great value.

Others laughed when we signed him.  By today's standard it looks like a steal, even if you consider him to be a 2nd liner. 

Hudler is probably our best forward. He seems to do a great job mentoring the young guys. He seems to be equally capable at either wing.

That said, he will be 32 when his contract expires in 2 seasons. We have lots of youth coming up on wing. If the right return is there I don't have an issue moving him.

We should still be in asset acquisition mode. Depending in how players like Gaudreau and Baertschi develop this season off loading Hudler and Glencross near the deadline could get us a big return while freeing space to play the prospects late season.

Exactly, they may still be effective for several years, but really it comes down to what you can get for them.  Also you need to figure out what's the team's most likely window for success, and determine if the player is going to be the vet that is the key veteran presence during that period, or the vet that helps with the building of the prospects but then is ineffective when the team is enjoying its success.  

At this point Hudler, Glencross, Giordano and others could possibly be both.  It all depends on how quickly the talent and level of play improves with the prospects.  If there is a big jump in the next year or two they all could be, 3-4 years down the road then probably not.

In the meantime keep them as leaders and guideposts for the up and comers while always looking at ways to improve the team, as per BT.  Its not dramatic changes that will make a large difference, rather small changes and consistency.  With seemingly a few injuries already (Mason Raymond and Klimchuk yesterday) there will be lots of opportunities for the younger guys to see what they can do, and for Hudler to mentor. 

Exactly, they may still be effective for several years, but really it comes down to what you can get for them.  Also you need to figure out what's the team's most likely window for success, and determine if the player is going to be the vet that is the key veteran presence during that period, or the vet that helps with the building of the prospects but then is ineffective when the team is enjoying its success.  

At this point Hudler, Glencross, Giordano and others could possibly be both.  It all depends on how quickly the talent and level of play improves with the prospects.  If there is a big jump in the next year or two they all could be, 3-4 years down the road then probably not.

In the meantime keep them as leaders and guideposts for the up and comers while always looking at ways to improve the team, as per BT.  Its not dramatic changes that will make a large difference, rather small changes and consistency.  With seemingly a few injuries already (Mason Raymond and Klimchuk yesterday) there will be lots of opportunities for the younger guys to see what they can do, and for Hudler to mentor. 

We definately need to keep some good, dedicated vets to help the young guys. I see Gio, GlenX & Stajan as the 3 I really want showing the kids what it takes. X & Gio became what they are by sheer determination & hard work. Stajan remade himself as TML wanted a gunner but when he couldn't keep the #s up as a Flame he became a dang good 2 way that can play on any line he's needed. Those 3 are the types I want the young players to emmulate.

If there's a good offer for Hudler near the deadline he's the 1 I'd prefer to trade.

• 2 weeks later...

No hurry to unload Hudler now but they need to get these lines in order and send Gaudreau to Adirondack. I hate seeing a talented kid observing from the bench or playing on a 3rd line with limited time. He should be down getting tons of ice time so he can step in and replace guys like Hudler and Glencross when the time comes, same for Baertschi .

No hurry to unload Hudler now but they need to get these lines in order and send Gaudreau to Adirondack. I hate seeing a talented kid observing from the bench or playing on a 3rd line with limited time. He should be down getting tons of ice time so he can step in and replace guys like Hudler and Glencross when the time comes, same for Baertschi .

We're only 3 games into the season and we're on a nasty road trip to start the season.  Gaudreau is still adjusting to the game.  I have not really seen him in too many situations where he was getting owned on the ice.  Let him find his groove and then watch out.  But you're right, Hartley needs to get his lines in order.  Its hard on the road though because you don't get as much practice time.  I do think its time though to take a hard look at those who are not giving the 100% Hartley expects....*cough* *cough* Setoguchi......and not just to pick on him, there are others whose lack of effort I have been observing.

As far as Hudler goes we need him on the team right now.  He's a steady veteran presence and will probably be one of our top production players.  If we are really out of the playoff picture, which I suspect we will be, he may be available at the trade deadline so long as we have someone pushing for his spot down on the farm.  Until that time its status quo on Hudler.

Hudler is clearly the player on the Flames that makes the team click no disrespect to GIO. The only sure fire first line NHLer we have. He was clearly under appreciated on Detroit. Lots of character(check out him at an NBA Practice on YouTube I think freak'n funny). Guy just flat out performs. If the flames had any brains they would have kept him with MONO and SVEN last year they were together the only exciting thing about the flames of course with GIO and Cammy(for three of four weeks)

Enjoy him while you can. Just the kind of player Burke likes to trade.

I have no doubt I will come to appreciate Gaudreau, all Im saying is until he is given room on the top two lines where his talents can shine he should be in AAA. When the time comes to dislodge a Hudler or Glencross on LW is when he should come up and Im not sure Baertschi shouldn't have been given the first opportunity. Just saying. Now they are experimenting with Colburne back at C which is throwing a wrench into the line combinations. I like the idea but now you end up pushing the quality of C we have down because neither Backlund or Stajan should be a 4th line C. Without Gaudreau here would be the lines.

Hudler, Monahan, Jones

Glencross, Colburne, Raymond

Bouma, Backlund, Setiguchi

Bollig, Stajan, McGrattan

Why not have Gaudreau after playing in BC have him down getting to know the young players he will end up playing with the most as teammates.

We're only 3 games into the season and we're on a nasty road trip to start the season.  Gaudreau is still adjusting to the game.  I have not really seen him in too many situations where he was getting owned on the ice.  Let him find his groove and then watch out.  But you're right, Hartley needs to get his lines in order.  Its hard on the road though because you don't get as much practice time.  I do think its time though to take a hard look at those who are not giving the 100% Hartley expects....*cough* *cough* Setoguchi......and not just to pick on him, there are others whose lack of effort I have been observing.

As far as Hudler goes we need him on the team right now.  He's a steady veteran presence and will probably be one of our top production players.  If we are really out of the playoff picture, which I suspect we will be, he may be available at the trade deadline so long as we have someone pushing for his spot down on the farm.  Until that time its status quo on Hudler.

I have no doubt I will come to appreciate Gaudreau, all Im saying is until he is given room on the top two lines where his talents can shine he should be in AAA. When the time comes to dislodge a Hudler or Glencross on LW is when he should come up and Im not sure Baertschi shouldn't have been given the first opportunity. Just saying. Now they are experimenting with Colburne back at C which is throwing a wrench into the line combinations. I like the idea but now you end up pushing the quality of C we have down because neither Backlund or Stajan should be a 4th line C. Without Gaudreau here would be the lines.

Hudler, Monahan, Jones

Glencross, Colburne, Raymond

Bouma, Backlund, Setiguchi

Bollig, Stajan, McGrattan

Why not have Gaudreau after playing in BC have him down getting to know the young players he will end up playing with the most as teammates.

Hudler plays really well with Monahan, and has played quite a bit on RW. Find a LW that works with those two; most likely Raymond is a good fit. Put Johnny with Backlund and a RHS (Jones or Setoguchi); the lise will start to click once they get used to accurate passing. GlenX with Colborne and Byron will provide grit with speed. Bouma belongs on the 4th line; alternate him with Bollig on LW. Play him with Stajan and McGrattan/Setoguchi (one truculent player at a time).

Not a great lineup with McGrattan or Bollig, but better than having both at the same time.

Raymond - Monahan - Hudler

Johnny - Backlund - Jones

GlenX - Colborne - Byron

Bouma/Bollig - Stajan - Setoguchi/McGrattan

Ex. Bollig and McGrattan

Raymond and Colborne have found chemistry. I keep them together. I agree that Monahan and Hudler are good together. I don't agree with putting Backlund with Gaudreau and Jones / Setoguchi. I think they get murdered playing shut down. Glencross is the obvious match, but him and Backlund lack chemistry. Bouma and Backlund have actually been pretty good together.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler (sheltered, ozone starts)

Glencross-Colborne-Raymond (middle weights)

Bouma-Backlund-Byron (shut down)

Bollig-Stajan-Jones (fourth line dzone starts)

Unfortunately we lack the players to out forward really good shut down or scoring lines. If they were willing to move Colborne or Backlund to the wing more options open up as Stajan bumps up from the fourth line. But with those two at C options are limited.

If Jones is hurt I call up Baertschi. Tough to figure out where to put him though. Probably forced to put Glencross with Backlund and put him on the Monahan or Colborne line (with Gaudreau on the other). Byron drops to the fourth line know that scenario.

Raymond and Colborne have found chemistry. I keep them together. I agree that Monahan and Hudler are good together. I don't agree with putting Backlund with Gaudreau and Jones / Setoguchi. I think they get murdered playing shut down. Glencross is the obvious match, but him and Backlund lack chemistry. Bouma and Backlund have actually been pretty good together.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler (sheltered, ozone starts)

Glencross-Colborne-Raymond (middle weights)

Bouma-Backlund-Byron (shut down)

Bollig-Stajan-Jones (fourth line dzone starts)

Unfortunately we lack the players to out forward really good shut down or scoring lines. If they were willing to move Colborne or Backlund to the wing more options open up as Stajan bumps up from the fourth line. But with those two at C options are limited.

If Jones is hurt I call up Baertschi. Tough to figure out where to put him though. Probably forced to put Glencross with Backlund and put him on the Monahan or Colborne line (with Gaudreau on the other). Byron drops to the fourth line know that scenario.

I wasn't thinking of using Gaudreau - Backlund - Jones as a shutdown line; more of a sheltered line, equal to Mony's line. Use Colborne's and the (not totally tough guy) 4th as shutdown lines.

Your suggestion looks good, though. Has Raymond been on the RW with Colborne? I thought that was just to start. Hard to tell with the crappy stream I was watching.

If Jones is out, I would bring up a RW'er. Jooris or Ferland, who both have versatility to play in different lines. You could opt to have Jooris on the 4th or have him play with Johnny. Baertschi deserves to be on the team, but only when a 1-3rd liner gets hurt.

I wasn't thinking of using Gaudreau - Backlund - Jones as a shutdown line; more of a sheltered line, equal to Mony's line. Use Colborne's and the (not totally tough guy) 4th as shutdown lines.

Your suggestion looks good, though. Has Raymond been on the RW with Colborne? I thought that was just to start. Hard to tell with the crappy stream I was watching.

If Jones is out, I would bring up a RW'er. Jooris or Ferland, who both have versatility to play in different lines. You could opt to have Jooris on the 4th or have him play with Johnny. Baertschi deserves to be on the team, but only when a 1-3rd liner gets hurt.

I think you have to use Backlund as a shutdown guy. We don't have anyone else that can play with the other teams top lines.

Good call on Jooris though. He probably fits better then Baertschi right now. Looks like they are going:

Hudler-Monahan-Setoguchi

Glencross-Backlund-Byron

Raymond-Colborne-Gaudreau

Bollig-Stajan-Bouma

Jones is still hurt. If they are insisting on playing Setoguchi I prefer to see him and Gaudreau swapped.

I think you have to use Backlund as a shutdown guy. We don't have anyone else that can play with the other teams top lines.

Good call on Jooris though. He probably fits better then Baertschi right now. Looks like they are going:

Hudler-Monahan-Setoguchi

Glencross-Backlund-Byron

Raymond-Colborne-Gaudreau

Bollig-Stajan-Bouma

Jones is still hurt. If they are insisting on playing Setoguchi I prefer to see him and Gaudreau swapped.

I think Hartley is putting Setoguchi on the top line with Monahan and Hudler to give him a chance with skilled players. This is still pretty much an audition for him in my opinion and the games are dwindling down in order to impress. And I agree Jooris is the better player to be called up to replace him rather than Baertschi. The third line of Raymond, Colborne and Gaudreau can be a pesky line if they can get the room to play. With that kind of speed on the wings and the big bodied center who has been working his tail off so far this season I actually expect good things.

Archived