The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's the theory.  I don't think JT has any interest in fixing the problem, since creosote doesn't vote, and it's west of Ontario.  Notley won't do anything alone.   

Doubt it would happen, but Notley might garner a lot of Calgary support and win again if she threw her support into the Calgary clean-up and renovation of the riverside district....

Just now, cccsberg said:

Doubt it would happen, but Notley might garner a lot of Calgary support and win again if she threw her support into the Calgary clean-up and renovation of the riverside district....

Maybe she could use the carbon tax money on the cleanup.  It doesn't matter because Nenshi doesn't want that area used for hockey.  Doesn't match his dream.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎27 at 5:24 PM, cccsberg said:

One would think the clean up of the West area should be a priority given its proximity to the Bow River.

I would like to see a priority put on a new arena and would have no objection to an East downtown location. Spread the wealth and the traffic so the opposite locations benefits more businesses and not the same ones all the time. The East location for an arena could get going real soon. As for the West location a CFL Football/ Soccer facility could wait until a proper clean up is completed while spreading out the financial obligations.

With Sears shutting their doors, should we discuss the feasibility of building a new arena at the North Hill Shopping Centre location?  It's got a C-train station.  It could provide SAIT with sports.  It's relatively central.  Biggest con is traffic in the area that could potentially make this location a non-starter but it's not impossible to do something like reverse traffic lights during game hours.

The mall is a second thought for most Calgarians but the location is prime.  There are two condo towers on site that i think we can build the arena around without demolishing and forcing people out of their homes.  Honestly, the location can fit the entire CalgaryNext project/concept onto.  It has just as much space as the Greyhound/GSL area and the remaining parts of the mall can re-develop into pubs/bars/restaurants.  Will CalgaryNext only cost $890k here?

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

With Sears shutting their doors, should we discuss the feasibility of building a new arena at the North Hill Shopping Centre location?  It's got a C-train station.  It could provide SAIT with sports.  It's relatively central.  Biggest con is traffic in the area that could potentially make this location a non-starter but it's not impossible to do something like reverse traffic lights during game hours.

The mall is a second thought for most Calgarians but the location is prime.  There are two condo towers on site that i think we can build the arena around without demolishing and forcing people out of their homes.  Honestly, the location can fit the entire CalgaryNext project/concept onto.  It has just as much space as the Greyhound/GSL area and the remaining parts of the mall can re-develop into pubs/bars/restaurants.  Will CalgaryNext only cost $890k here?

North Hill Shops will find another tenant for their mall. However the Mall has paid parking, so maybe replacing it with an arena might not be a bad thing.

If I had my choice it would be the old Firestone Tire/park location.

You need a freeway close enough to bring people from farther distances. 

On 12/30/2017 at 0:06 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

North Hill Shops will find another tenant for their mall. However the Mall has paid parking, so maybe replacing it with an arena might not be a bad thing.

As far as I know, North Hill is still has been doing good steady business...   If Cadillac Fairview was to consider selling it, the cost would be huge...

Is paid parking a new thing?, I thought it was a +/- 3hr limit, that was put in place a while back because too many people were parking there for the whole day to take the LRT...

Just can't see that location working for an arena, as Crowchild and 16th Ave. are already bumper to bumper for a few hours every day...  24th Ave and 19th st. aren't great either...

Northland was supposed to be demolished (postponed for now) for residential towers, all their tenants leases couldn't be renewed when they ended ended...   But that location would also have challenges with the traffic generated...

On 12/30/2017 at 0:06 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

You need a freeway close enough to bring people from farther distances. 

I can appreciate this but none of the downtown locations have a freeway nearby either.  Still, I figure traffic concerns will be the biggest obstacle to a North Hill Mall location.  The size of available land can provide us with a new arena and field house.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank President Trump in his efforts to keep the Flames in Calgary. Under the new US federal budget, municipal and state taxes are not deductible from US income tax, so there will be push back on high city taxes. This will make it harder for US team owners to get arena subsidies.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

So the IOC was in town recently, gave the rubber stamp to the saddledome for olympic hockey and figure skating.  Does this play in at all to the arena debate, or is it just more hot air?  Same thing with Bettman v. Maclean over the weekend.

I think that Nenshi has said he wanted partner with EDM for some of the ice events.  It would be embarrasing to use the Dome for another Olympics.  Besides, Nenshi's redevelopment plan includes a new arena and bulldozing the Dome.  Just need to find some sports team to fund it. 

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

So the IOC was in town recently, gave the rubber stamp to the saddledome for olympic hockey and figure skating.  Does this play in at all to the arena debate, or is it just more hot air?  Same thing with Bettman v. Maclean over the weekend.

When I read that, I got the sense that the IOC wants to kick Bettman in the butt for the decision not to go to the Olympics. I actually agree with Bettman on this one. Why should the NHL give away their product for free? Players signed contracts supposedly in good faith. 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

When I read that, I got the sense that the IOC wants to kick Bettman in the butt for the decision not to go to the Olympics. I actually agree with Bettman on this one. Why should the NHL give away their product for free? Players signed contracts supposedly in good faith. 

Definitely possible.  I won't lie, I am disappointed the nhl isn't going, but I do get it from their perspective.  The IOC is one of the worst groups in the world, and have just about ruined the olympics for me.  I'm not sure I will even watch this year.

14 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don’t think they should waiver on going and not going and picking and choosing which ones to attend just looks a bit princess to me. If you’re going, commit to all or none.

13 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Definitely possible.  I won't lie, I am disappointed the nhl isn't going, but I do get it from their perspective.  The IOC is one of the worst groups in the world, and have just about ruined the olympics for me.  I'm not sure I will even watch this year.

I think we feel the same way. I watch very little of the Olympics because they seem to be scummy to me. I am not entirely excited to use tax dollars for new arenas and stadiums, but at least NHL teams stay in their respective cities. The Olympics swoop in, eat up resources, and then leave. Kind of like a hurricane or an ex. :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think they should waiver on going and not going and picking and choosing which ones to attend just looks a bit princess to me. If you’re going, commit to all or none.

It's all about the cash dude. The IOC would not give the NHL much of the share of the take, so the NHL said no to the Olympics. The IOC thought that the NHL would give in because Bettman really wants exposure in Beijing. He will now not get it. Only time will tell if that was an intelligent move or not. If the NHL loses the market in China and gives it up to the KHL, that could amount to a major blunder. But, you never know, maybe Bettman can move the game to another city in the desert. There is always Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

It's all about the cash dude. The IOC would not give the NHL much of the share of the take, so the NHL said no to the Olympics. The IOC thought that the NHL would give in because Bettman really wants exposure in Beijing. He will now not get it. Only time will tell if that was an intelligent move or not. If the NHL loses the market in China and gives it up to the KHL, that could amount to a major blunder. But, you never know, maybe Bettman can move the game to another city in the desert. There is always Saudi Arabia.

I thought NHL already said they are going to Beijing, just not South Korea.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I suspect that decision may be up in the air with the CBA being negotiated.  The other thing is that this Olympics was meant to be threat to get the IOC to cave next time.

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I recall reading that the IOC said that the NHL either goes to both, or neither. They were pushing the NHL to attend South Korea if they wanted China. As TD says, it is likely up in the air. I guess if you get even a small percentage of China to watch, you have massive market potential.

• 1 month later...

What kind of game is Bettman and the Flames trying to run on the citizens of Calgary and Flames fans. Claiming the Flames financial situation is deteriorating as we speak is uite a claim for a building that is virtually sold out every game with more umbers than most if not all American arenas. Open the books so we can all see this acclaimation.

15 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Like I said open the books and prove it.

I agree 100% - getting a little tired of hearing this plea of poverty coming out of the mouths of billionaires and the likes of the NHL mouth from the South Mr. Bettman. If the finances are as bad as Bettman seems to want to imply - let's take a look at the P&L and Balance Sheet.