The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

15 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I agree with your argument, although they are only spending $1.3 million to study it. I don't understand why municipalities struggle to find the money for this kind of work. Rather than redistributing the carbon tax to less wealthy folks, why not use it to clean up the environment? It took decades to clean up the Sydney tar ponds, but they eventually got federal cash for it. Maybe Justin can give us some of that marijuana tax money to get this project started.

So $260,000/yr for 5 yrs.

Somehow, I don't see that working out. That is a lot of cash short of the "studies" I've witnessed. That isn't enough cash to even call it a "study", which I'd be inclined to label a smokescreen.

58 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Yeah, I doubt Justin would want anything to do with CalgaryNext, including cleanup. I think that project is up in smoke.

Depends what kind of advice he is given...   Instead of go through the usual government channels, maybe he should just ask one of his buds...

17 minutes ago, Carty said:

Depends what kind of advice he is given...   Instead of go through the usual government channels, maybe he should just ask one of his buds...

That might work, but I am not convinced that they give a hoot about Calgary being Liberals and all.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

So $260,000/yr for 5 yrs.

Somehow, I don't see that working out. That is a lot of cash short of the "studies" I've witnessed. That isn't enough cash to even call it a "study", which I'd be inclined to label a smokescreen.

Another smokescreen and stall tactic is right.  Installing yet another lot of shallow wells in the overburden gravels, chemical analysis on various grab samples at depth to confirm footprint and contamination levels, sample the water from each well quarterly and yearly, provide simple quarterly and yearly reports summarizing lab data.  There’s your $1.3M study, and another 5 yrs gone down the Bow River.  Its all been done already, that’s how they know it’s spreading to areas like Hillhurst.  Enough foreplay already, its time for clean up.  No more political BS and stall tactics.  A politician’s job is to work for the people, not to delay the hard choices for the next generation while cashing in on their fat life long pension cheques.  Fix it!  Then put CalgaryNext in the remediated hole, elevating Calgary onto the world-wide stage with one fell swoop.  :D

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

That might work, but I am not convinced that they give a hoot about Calgary being Liberals and all.

A joint effort involving the city, provincial and federal governments would still be best... 

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Buds, hit, green, roll, joint, smokescrean...

Are you guys talking about the cleanup or the Pot Legalization. :lol:

We're just watching Nenshi drag his heels on the creosote cleanup, and the idea of CalgaryNext go up in a puff of smoke...

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

^^^

Buds, hit, green, roll, joint, smokescrean...

Are you guys talking about the cleanup or the Pot Legalization. :lol:

We are looking for some political leadership; a champion of sorts, on the creosote cleanup issue. Given Justin's political correctness, that may mean a hero or a heroine.

43 minutes ago, Carty said:

We're just watching Nenshi drag his heels on the creosote cleanup, and the idea of CalgaryNext go up in a puff of smoke...

I know its a serious issue.  I thought you guys were being funny, like in the LA thread.  Every post after Cowtownguy's reference to Weed Tax had a key word in it.:unsure:

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know its a serious issue.  I thought you guys were being funny, like in the LA thread.  Every post after Cowtownguy's reference to Weed Tax had a key word in it.:unsure:

It is a serious issue, and it was irritating when Nenshi was so blunt about saying that CalgaryNext was dead...

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

My pipeline leaked condensate. Sorry everyone, we know it's 5m deep and seeping into the bedrock crevices even deeper.

Give us another 5 years to see if we can contain it rather than clean it up, because it's "tricky".

*Enter the city and province* "cut the crap, get on it and get on it now, when you're finished, we'll have assessed how much we'll fine you".

One of my issues is the double standard. Nobody, but nobody can get away with this. But a municipality can.

10 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, but they should have worked harder at it. It was doob or die. 

Nenshi has decided that the best way to procrastinate the creosote cleanup is with another 5 year study while the problem spreads even further and becomes more difficult and expensive to deal with...   and he's going to roll with it...

19 hours ago, Carty said:

It is a serious issue, and it was irritating when Nenshi was so blunt about saying that CalgaryNext was dead...

CalgaryNext is Dead! get over it! Too many higher priorities for the city. Maybe something in the East Village or just live with what you have.

3 hours ago, 446682_1474632957 said:

CalgaryNext is Dead! get over it! Too many higher priorities for the city. Maybe something in the East Village or just live with what you have.

It is not only disgraceful to further delay the cleanup that should have long ago been completed, it has a potential to become a very expensive class action lawsuit from affected property owners...   If carcinogenic gasses are seeping into basements and nothing is being done to stop the problem from becoming even worse over time, it is a huge liability...   and the ramifications of that liability could easily prove to be a lot more expensive than cleaning it up...

Nenshi want's to put together an Olympic bid, and that will require new facilities...   Location aside, no matter where a new arena and the promised fieldhouse are built, the creosote is an environmental disaster that is long overdue to be dealt with and not just swept under the carpet for the next mayor...   Get over that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carty said:

Nenshi has decided that the best way to procrastinate the creosote cleanup is with another 5 year study while the problem spreads even further and becomes more difficult and expensive to deal with...   and he's going to roll with it...

That cleanup is bong overdue. 

Love. 

10 hours ago, Carty said:

I like how he was totally, completely, absolutely against any municipal support in the beginning, and now he seems to have warmed up to the arena. Typical politician content to just ZigZag around the issue.

8 hours ago, Carty said:

It is not only disgraceful to further delay the cleanup that should have long ago been completed, it has a potential to become a very expensive class action lawsuit from affected property owners...   If carcinogenic gasses are seeping into basements and nothing is being done to stop the problem from becoming even worse over time, it is a huge liability...   and the ramifications of that liability could easily prove to be a lot more expensive than cleaning it up...

Nenshi want's to put together an Olympic bid, and that will require new facilities...   Location aside, no matter where a new arena and the promised fieldhouse are built, the creosote is an environmental disaster that is long overdue to be dealt with and not just swept under the carpet for the next mayor...   Get over that...

I wonder if the City of Calgary could be held accountable for not performing the cleanup. One would assume that some level of government should be held to account. It is actually embarrassing and shameful that all of those homes along the river might be contaminated. The city is likely not in a big rush to do much about it because proving that someone became ill due to exposure is difficult to prove. Where is Erin Brokovich when you need her?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Just depends on when it fits with his Visine for the future. 

Seems like when it comes the the creosote contamination, Nenshi would rather drop it than look the problem in the eye and find a real solution...