Are We Big Enough Now?

kehatch

Estimated roster

FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / David Jones ($4.000m) 
Mason Raymond ($3.150m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Joe Colborne ($0.660m) 
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) 
David Wolf ($0.868m) / Lance Bouma ($0.635m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) 
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) 
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Deryk Engelland ($2.917m) 
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m) 
Karri Ramo ($2.750m) 

Bollig, Wolf, McGrattan, and Engelland are all known for dropping the gloves.  Look for the Flames to lead the league in fighting majors next season.  

Those guys plus Smid, Bouma, Colborne, Giordano, Glencross, and Jones are known for playing a gritty game. That leaves Raymond, Backlund, Stajan, Hudler, Wideman, Russell, and Monahan as the "soft" players.  

Personally I think our wing and D and wing look fine.  I wouldn't mind moving Stajan for a more physical C as our C is still pretty soft.  If Bennett plays C that should change eventually. But he is a ways away still.  Picking up a C like Ott would also help.   

I don't like how our big guys are one dimensional at "big" so until our big guys can play in all situations, I don't think we have the right big guys. The big teams in our division still have our number and we still don't match up well against the Cali teams and others who we are trying to leapfrog to make the playoffs.

I don't like how our big guys are one dimensional at "big" so until our big guys can play in all situations, I don't think we have the right big guys. The big teams in our division still have our number and we still don't match up well against the Cali teams and others who we are trying to leapfrog to make the playoffs.

Well, SJ took a step in the Flames direction and signed John Scott. 

I wouldn't be so worried about the type of 'big' we have on our roster at this moment. Many of these guys may factor into expanded roles than what they have been typecasted into.  Maybe we can take a look half way through the season before deliberating.

I agree.  I don't think adding a bunch of bottom line / pairing guys makes you big.  LA is big because they have players like Brown, Regehr, Stoll, Doughty, etc providing grit up and down their line-up.  

But in terms of providing a development environment where the kids aren't going to be pushed around I think the Flames have done okay.  

This is exactly how I feel. Our skilled guys are still small and our tough guys are still bottom/fringe players. Glencross is really the only top 6 gritty forward we have. 

I like the size factor we have now on the backend.  Sure we're not talking superstars but we are less likely to be pushed around in our own end.....something that happened all too often last season.  We are still lacking size with the forward group however and this concerns me especially if we see Gaudreau and/or Baertschi make the team.

I agree.  I don't think adding a bunch of bottom line / pairing guys makes you big.  LA is big because they have players like Brown, Regehr, Stoll, Doughty, etc providing grit up and down their line-up.  

But in terms of providing a development environment where the kids aren't going to be pushed around I think the Flames have done okay.  

I also agree.

Top 6 players/top 4 D with grit to go with skill are hard to find but @ least we can push a few 2nd/3rd tweeners up if needed. As ZZ said we have Glencross as the only top 6 with sand (ideally he'd be 3rd line) & Smid can be used on the 2nd D pairing because we have few options.

I like the size factor we have now on the backend.  Sure we're not talking superstars but we are less likely to be pushed around in our own end.....something that happened all too often last season.  We are still lacking size with the forward group however and this concerns me especially if we see Gaudreau and/or Baertschi make the team.

It depends how many minutes they play. That size isn't helping from the bench.

I think we have the ability to cycle the D lines pretty consistently this year compared to last.  We won't be relying on just 3 guys to carry the load.  At least that's my hope.

I also agree.

Top 6 players/top 4 D with grit to go with skill are hard to find but @ least we can push a few 2nd/3rd tweeners up if needed. As ZZ said we have Glencross as the only top 6 with sand (ideally he'd be 3rd line) & Smid can be used on the 2nd D pairing because we have few options.

Ideally Glencross would be 3rd line? I thought I was reading my own post!!??!!

I've been thinking Bollig can up his play to the 3rd line (where Glencross would be on a good team).

The size isn't helping if it's all on the 4th line, I agree.

Disperse size through your lineup.

Though unproven in the NHL I think Wolf is exactly the type of "Big" our and all teams need. I'm excited to see how he looks at Development camp.

Im intrigued to see how Hartley utilizes the size we have added, he has a strange mix of size and skill to work with. I do think the depth players look better but we could still use a top 6 power forward and a solid 3-4 dman.

Ferland and Poirier match that description, but both may not be ready yet(Poirier out to November).  Ideally, we get a 3/4 D-man, but everyone seems to be looking for one.  Don't know if it makes sense to sign one in FA (limited choices now), trade for one (high cost, unless it helps a cap-team), or develop a prospect into one (Seilof, T-Spoon).   I lean towards trading for one that may be underperforming right now, but could still become one.  That is due to what we have in the prospect pool right now, though.  T-Spoon probably is a 4/5 if not a 3/4; he is some years away from that.

I have to wait and see what some of the new players are like. It's easy for management to sell the guys as players who can do more if their roles are increased. I heard that from Feaster a lot, so, that's something that hasn't changed. Treliving just hasn't gone out and said, we feel like he's the best player not in the NHL…

But still, on extended roles, it depends on if they can handle them on an extended period of time. Wideman did well last year on extended play at the beginning of the year, but wasn't able to handle it throughout the season. Did it cause injury, or did the injury have a lot to do with his poor play later in the season? 

I say, nice we got bigger, but if they don't fit up and down the forward side of the line-up, the D has to be big for the smaller forwards. 

Though unproven in the NHL I think Wolf is exactly the type of "Big" our and all teams need. I'm exceeded to see how he looks at Development camp.

Wolf is intriguing. Everything depends on how well he can transition his game to the NHL & (if he can) how long it takes.

Developement camp will hopefully answer some ?s but the true acid test will be if he cracks the opening day roster & how he does against real NHLers (exhibition is usually few NHLers but lots of rookies & AHLers hoping to finally move up). Canucks to open & then 6 on the road should give us a better idea.

I'll hope for the best but temper my expectations as the transition from the shorter Euro seasons are tough. I'm not worried about him facing big opponents as he's played against men for a few years already.

Right now I have Wolf pegged as an AHL player. But I am curious. We honestly don't know what we have in him. The guy is scary mean and he is big. If he can play hockey at the NHL level he will be a really good pick up.

I'm not sure I'd want to be on the opposing team when Wolf decides it's time to show Burkie the true definition of Truculence! 

Hope he show cases his skill and plays his game as always & doesn't get caught up with goonery truing to impress management.... that goes for all our prospects. 

This is exactly how I feel. Our skilled guys are still small and our tough guys are still bottom/fringe players. Glencross is really the only top 6 gritty forward we have. 

Yes, you and ThePeople nailed it.

Our core players aren't any bigger this year than last.  In fact they might be smaller.

Looks better on paper, skeptical how it will translate on the ice.

Yes, you and ThePeople nailed it.

Our core players aren't any bigger this year than last.  In fact they might be smaller.

Looks better on paper, skeptical how it will translate on the ice.

This  is a silly thing to say. Our core players are identical to last year and most are going to be a bit bigger and stronger.

Until one of our smaller players like Johnny Hockey can make the team and cement his place as a core player then we are the same or a bit bigger.

Brodie, Backs, Monahan all should be a bit bigger and /or stronger. Hell we even got bigger in net where it makes little difference with Hiller replacing JMac/Ortio.

We've added these bodies since the firing of Feaster

Bryce Van Brabant (LW)

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 205

David Wolf (LW)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 216

Draft:

Sam Bennett (C/LW)
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 178

Mason Macdonald (G)
Height: 6' 4"
Weight:186

Hunter Smith (RW)
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 220

Brandon Bollig (LW/C) (trade)
Height: 6'2
Weight: 223

Brandon Hickey (D)
Weight: 180

Adam Mattsson (D)
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 216

Austin Carroll (RW)
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 208

Expensive Agency

Mason Raymond (LW)
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 185

Jonas Hiller (G)
Weight: 192

Deryk Engelland (D/F)
Weight: 215

Brad Thiessen (G)
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 171 lbs

Sena Acolaste (D)
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 203 lbs.

Mathieu Tousignant ©
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 188 lbs

I'd say thats a lot of size added.

However Im excited about this years draft class, not just sam bennett, but for me its adam Mattsson and Hunter Smith. Two massive bodies from what i can tell pretty massive upside. I see Hunter Smith like a bigger, right handed, Lucic, and i see Mattsson as a bigger Regher type player. Sam Bennett obviously excites me because in 2 years he'll probably be 190+ and a machine. Very, Very exciting times to be a flames fan.

We're built like the Montreal Canadiens.  Super small but extremely fast top 6.  Muscles and grit in bottom 6.  While this may work in the Eastern Conference, it can't match up against the Western Conference teams who have big and yet still decently fast and skilled top 9.  We cannot continue down this course if we want to compete for a playoff spot.

Even teams like Dallas and Minny have fair sized top 6. 

We're built like the Montreal Canadiens.  Super small but extremely fast top 6.  Muscles and grit in bottom 6.  While this may work in the Eastern Conference, it can't match up against the Western Conference teams who have big and yet still decently fast and skilled top 9.  We cannot continue down this course if we want to compete for a playoff spot.

True for next season. Some of CGY's future top 6 look to have good height and especially good weight. Monahan, Poirier, and Bennett should be thick, well-built scorers by the time they mature into the league.

Nobody is mentioning Colburne who has room to grow and add more grit to his game. Backlund showed plenty of grit last season and I hope it continues. D.Jones need to show up healthy and play like the big forward we need on RW.

If they are considering a trade to get bigger and better upfront or top 4 D they will need to have Hudler in that package.

Nobody is mentioning Colburne who has room to grow and add more grit to his game. Backlund showed plenty of grit last season and I hope it continues. D.Jones need to show up healthy and play like the big forward we need on RW.

If they are considering a trade to get bigger and better upfront or top 4 D they will need to have Hudler in that package.

I don't know if they can replace Hudler. I feel like he was a good leader and embraced what the team was trying to accomplish when he had just been signed the year before, thinking it could be a team who was trying to "win now." I like his Stanley Cup experience and his poise with the puck. I feel like we need that to help our youth in the long run. He's a guy who creates space. 

I don't know if they can replace Hudler. I feel like he was a good leader and embraced what the team was trying to accomplish when he had just been signed the year before, thinking it could be a team who was trying to "win now." I like his Stanley Cup experience and his poise with the puck. I feel like we need that to help our youth in the long run. He's a guy who creates space. 

I agree and might add a good indication of his outside contributions would be when he found a place in his home for Monahan early last season. I think he is a much larger mentor to the prospects and rookies than most all of us realize.

Last season I believe he was the only one on our team with a SC and the only one who knows what it takes to win one.

I wasn't saying we didn't need him but if a trade of him gets us a bigger better player the Flames do the deal. Hudler is one Flame that has value should management find the right deal.

Archived