Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You don't have to buy it.  Brouwer is a RW.  Versteeg plays the right point.  Bennett could play as an additional center, but where would he play?  His off-wing already being out of his usual center spot?  If anything, Ferland deserves the ice time on the PP over Bennett.  He plays the top RW spot.  He has a wicked shot.  He hits and can free up the puck on the right side boards.   Ferland gets almost zero PK time, so his minutes are all even-strength.

I have no problem with Bennett at center.  I have a little more problem with using him on wing, let alone RW.

Calgary has the 14th best PP according to NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=teamsummary&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

So I looked at the 1'st PP units on the teams with a better PP than us (that use 4 forwards on the 1'st unit): http://leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/calgary-flames/?team=calgary-flames&strength=PP&gametype=ALL

To my shock and dismay, I found that 3 of the 8 (37.5%) of the teams with a better PP% than us, who use a 4-forward 1'st unit, have three of the four forwards on the 1'st unit with the same handed shot!

I think you'll also find that there are multiple centers on a lot of these units. Some must be playing on their off-wing.

I really think this is a non-issue with today's coaching and PP systems.

TEAM PP RANK Playing % F1 F2 F3 F4
TOR 1 21.8 NAZEM KADRI - L MITCHELL MARNER - R TYLER BOZAK - R JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK - L
BUF 2 36.5 RYAN OREILLY - L JACK EICHEL - R SAM REINHART - R KYLE OKPOSO - R
EDM 4 36.9 CONNOR MCDAVID - L LEON DRAISAITL - L MARK LETESTU - R MILAN LUCIC - L
TBL 5 10.2 STEVEN STAMKOS - R TYLER JOHNSON - R V. NAMESTNIKOV - L ONDREJ PALAT - L
PIT 6 50.1 SIDNEY CROSBY - L EVGENI MALKIN - L PHIL KESSEL - R CHRIS KUNITZ - L
CLB 7 54.9 CAM ATKINSON - R ALEXANDER WENNBERG - L SAM GAGNER - R NICK FOLIGNO - L
WSH 8 41.1 ALEX OVECHKIN - R NICKLAS BACKSTROM - L TJ OSHIE - R MARCUS JOHANSSON - L
PHI 13 67.6 CLAUDE GIROUX - R BRAYDEN SCHENN - L WAYNE SIMMONDS - R JAKUB VORACEK - L
CAL 14 22.4 TROY BROUWER - R SEAN MONAHAN - L KRIS VERSTEEG - R JOHNNY GAUDREAU - L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am all for Ferland being used in Brouwer's place.  Maybe in time you can use Bennett on it.  I just don't see the benefit right now, with them trying to cement him in a center spot.  I get all the arguments about it, but I am selfish about keeping at center and letting him become the player he can be there first.  

If you want to put another center on the first PP unit, then move Backlund there and put Bennett at center on the 2nd PP unit.

JH-Monahan-Backlund

Brodie-Versteeg

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik

Gio-Hammy

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am all for Ferland being used in Brouwer's place.  Maybe in time you can use Bennett on it.  I just don't see the benefit right now, with them trying to cement him in a center spot.  I get all the arguments about it, but I am selfish about keeping at center and letting him become the player he can be there first.  

If you want to put another center on the first PP unit, then move Backlund there and put Bennett at center on the 2nd PP unit.

JH-Monahan-Backlund

Brodie-Versteeg

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik

Gio-Hammy

Works for me.

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

JH-Monahan-Backlund

Brodie-Versteeg

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik

Gio-Hammy

I see no reason to break up the 3M line on the PP. I don't understand the fixation with Bennett and the center position on the PP. Other than taking the draw, presumably, the centerman on a PP unit does not have all the added responsibility he typically does at even strength. Perhaps I am wrong about that. I'm not advocating for Bennett to be moved to the wing, but it is not uncommon for two natural centers to play on the same PP unit, and giving him a bit of PP time may provide him with some motivation/confidence.

14 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

I see no reason to break up the 3M line on the PP. I don't understand the fixation with Bennett and the center position on the PP. Other than taking the draw, presumably, the centerman on a PP unit does not have all the added responsibility he typically does at even strength. Perhaps I am wrong about that. I'm not advocating for Bennett to be moved to the wing, but it is not uncommon for two natural centers to play on the same PP unit, and giving him a bit of PP time may provide him with some motivation/confidence.

You are not breaking up the 3M line at evens.  You are loading up the top PP unit with another center, that could help them score more often.  Putting in Bennett on the 2nd unit is putting him a situation to succeed.  He's already comfortable with Frolik, and could easily be a hit with Tkachuk.  Imagine two honey badgers on the ice at the same time.  

My thinking is that you don't give the exact same look on the PP.  Why always show the 3M line.  Besides, adding a trusty center on the first unit helps them win the draw more often.  Bennett is more like to have success in a position where he is comfortable, over playing a position that I don't think he has played much in his career.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You are not breaking up the 3M line at evens.  You are loading up the top PP unit with another center, that could help them score more often.  Putting in Bennett on the 2nd unit is putting him a situation to succeed.  He's already comfortable with Frolik, and could easily be a hit with Tkachuk.  Imagine two honey badgers on the ice at the same time.  

My thinking is that you don't give the exact same look on the PP.  Why always show the 3M line.  Besides, adding a trusty center on the first unit helps them win the draw more often.  Bennett is more like to have success in a position where he is comfortable, over playing a position that I don't think he has played much in his career.

But why when the 3M line is doing just as well on the PP and already have chemistry. Right now, adding Bennett to Johnny and Mony isn't going to ruin any of their PP chemistry because Brouwer doesn't add much there anyway. 

Bennett's development is not going to be hampered by playing him on the wing on the PP. Like Boomer is saying, it could actually jump start him.

If you're so worried about moving him to a wing, then move monahan... 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But why when the 3M line is doing just as well on the PP and already have chemistry. Right now, adding Bennett to Johnny and Mony isn't going to ruin any of their PP chemistry because Brouwer doesn't add much there anyway. 

Bennett's development is not going to be hampered by playing him on the wing on the PP. Like Boomer is saying, it could actually jump start him.

If you're so worried about moving him to a wing, then move monahan... 

Not sure how adding him to a PP unit in an unfamiliar role is going to benefit him and get him jumpstarted.

The PP units are up and down this year.  Some nights it's the top unit that gets the best chances or results.  Other nights it's the 2nd unit.  You can start to get stagnant if you don't introduce the odd change now and then.  

I suggested adding Backlund to the top unit and playing Bennett in the 2nd unit to see if we could have a true #1 and a solid #2. Bennett will get better grade A chances playing at center with Frolik and Tkachuk than he would on the Monahan unit as a winger. 

Just my opinion, what do I know.  

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What about trying him at the point in Versteegs place. Play versteeg at the RW on thePP. 

Doesn't Versteeg play the right point opposite Brodie? I think that's biting off too much for Bennett.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure how adding him to a PP unit in an unfamiliar role is going to benefit him and get him jumpstarted.

The PP units are up and down this year.  Some nights it's the top unit that gets the best chances or results.  Other nights it's the 2nd unit.  You can start to get stagnant if you don't introduce the odd change now and then.  

I suggested adding Backlund to the top unit and playing Bennett in the 2nd unit to see if we could have a true #1 and a solid #2. Bennett will get better grade A chances playing at center with Frolik and Tkachuk than he would on the Monahan unit as a winger. 

I believe Bennett has the potential to develop into a well-rounded NHL'er, but I think he really beats himself up when he's not producing. So by putting him on the PP (replacing a marginally effective Brouwer) you put him in a position where he's likely to put up a few points and get some mojo going which will only help his development.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Personally at this point playing bennett in brouwers spot wouldnt be much of a loss and would probably be an improvement. Bennett has proven to be a very good net front presence and in my opinion is better at puck retrieval then brouwer. I dont know why brouwer is currently getting power play time, ive said it in another thread, hes just not doing anyhing, his puck retrieval and net front presence has not been great. I also have noticed alot of plays dying on his stick, the first unit faltering has alot to do with his lack of ability and brodie not shooting the puck enough. At this point our first pp unit is focused around versteeg or gaudreau shooting the puck, or trying to work it into mony in the slot. We either A) need brodie to shoot the puck to give us another threat, or have a guy like bennett to move out for that down low play.

The backlund unit is dangerous simply because they are threat from all over.

21 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

So by putting him on the PP (replacing a marginally effective Brouwer) you put him in a position where he's likely to put up a few points and get some mojo going which will only help his development.

Or, he could get even more frustrated by trying to fit into a spot he's not thatfamiliar with.  If you are simply swapping out Brouwer, put in a player that had shown he can produce on Johnny's opposite wing; Ferland.  He does everything Brouwer can do, but can score.  He knows how to play RW.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Or, he could get even more frustrated by trying to fit into a spot he's not thatfamiliar with.  If you are simply swapping out Brouwer, put in a player that had shown he can produce on Johnny's opposite wing; Ferland.  He does everything Brouwer can do, but can score.  He knows how to play RW.  

I'm fine with that. It solves one problem (Brouwer), but I think giving Bennett more PP time solves two problems. Bennett is averaging 1:10 PP ice-time per game this season, so it's not like he'd going to look lost on the PP, last season he averaged almost 2 minutes. I'm not worried about him regressing because he's given a chance on the unit 1 PP.

If we use 4 forwards & 1 D on the PP 1 of the players lines up as a D but plays forward. A center because they as more defensive minded than wingers.

I don't care if it's Bennett or another but that's the way 1 see it.

& yeah, a few PP goals will boost Bennett's confidence.

Looks like Bennett will play the wing on the Backlund-Frolik line while Tkachuk is suspended. Here's hoping he chips a few in and regains some confidence. Getting Bennett going for the playoffs just gives us another deadly player contributing to the overall team.

46 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

Looks like Bennett will play the wing on the Backlund-Frolik line while Tkachuk is suspended. Here's hoping he chips a few in and regains some confidence. Getting Bennett going for the playoffs just gives us another deadly player contributing to the overall team.

What makes you think Bennett is playing without confidence ?

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What makes you think Bennett is playing without confidence ?

Based on what the player and coaches have said that Bennett can be real hard on himself when he's not producing points. I don't think he's been playing poorly of late, but he hasn't had much puck luck, and I don't see him making confident moves one-on-one with the puck in the offensive zone. I think putting him in a more offensive role within the lineup will help him.

Just now, JA_Boomer said:

Based on what the player and coaches have said that Bennett can be real hard on himself when he's not producing points. I don't think he's been playing poorly of late, but he hasn't had much puck luck, and I don't see him making confident moves one-on-one with the puck in the offensive zone. I think putting him in a more offensive role within the lineup will help him.

I hope he doesn't beat himself up to much because for much of this season he has had an inconsistency of line mates to endure. I think he has played very well during this latest stretch and playing with Backlund and Frolik on LW shouldn't hurt him. I am actually keenly interested to see how he does with them.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I hope he doesn't beat himself up to much because for much of this season he has had an inconsistency of line mates to endure. I think he has played very well during this latest stretch and playing with Backlund and Frolik on LW shouldn't hurt him. I am actually keenly interested to see how he does with them.

I would agree. He's played well despite not being put in great offensive situations all year long.

You haven't been able to do it this year, because the 3M line has been one of the best in the entire league, but I wonder if GG ever goes back to the forward pairings of:

Gaudreau-Monahan

Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett

37 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

I would agree. He's played well despite not being put in great offensive situations all year long.

You haven't been able to do it this year, because the 3M line has been one of the best in the entire league, but I wonder if GG ever goes back to the forward pairings of:

Gaudreau-Monahan

Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett

Maybe next season but I like that Tkachuk is learning from playing with Backlund and Frolik this season.

1 hour ago, JA_Boomer said:

Remember when Sam Bennett had confidence?  I don't know what the answer is but I hope he gets back to that soon when the playoffs begin.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Remember when Sam Bennett had confidence?  I don't know what the answer is but I hope he gets back to that soon when the playoffs begin.

Remember when Bennett had linemates that he actually had chemistry with?  His best linemate was Gaudreau, but that was during JH's cold stretch and Chaisson was the other winger on a cold stretch.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Remember when Bennett had linemates that he actually had chemistry with?  His best linemate was Gaudreau, but that was during JH's cold stretch and Chaisson was the other winger on a cold stretch.  

Do you mean to ask if I remember Bennett having linemates who were on fire? Or who he had chemistry with? These are two separate things.

Bennett has definetley struggled with confidence this year I think that's pretty obvious. He isn't snipping like he did in junior, he generally hits the chest of the goalie when he shoots, dangles wind up in players feet etc. I think he's actually done a nice job the last month of getting into and creating good scoring chances, but the finish just isn't there right now. That's confidence imo and hopefully a couple of stints on Backlund said line can help. I don't thinj habing Brouwer on his line has really hurt him but some of this is om Bennett himself too. 

Archived