Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of wondering about the 9-game thing.  If he plays 9-games of playoffs, then does that count towards burning 1-year off RFA status?

I read somewhere that the CBA is vague and only says 9 games; does not differentiate between regular seasona dn playoffs.

If he was to be part of the Black Aces and not play, no issue. If he was good enough to be part of the team or injuries made it necessary, burning a year to play in the playoffs is not a bad thing.

I think being part of the Black Aces is one of the best ideas.  I think he is at NHL game readiness now, so the AHL doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a primer.

I agree with the Black Ace as being the best option.  Having him around practicing and possibly playing with the team when games mean so much is an invaluable future investment. 

I thought players don't get paid for the playoffs so would it still count?

That's a good question. I'm not big on digging into the legal type language of the CBA but others might know.

I'd prefer Bennett goes to the AHL for the duration of their playoffs. If the Flames are still standing if/when they are eliminated he can be 1 of the Black Aces we add.

I dont see Bennett getting meaningful playing time right now for the Flames. If/when the Flames clinch a playoff spot then Hartley could rest someone like Monahan or Backlund and get him some game time. But until that point the Flames need to go with what they have and not mess with things. 

It's looking more and more like there won't be any playoffs in Adirondack. I would rather keep him in Calgary. Play the kid in a regular season game and see if he helps. If he does you can slot him in for the playoffs. If he doesn't, he still gets the experience.

I think he makes the team better though.

I see Bennett being tested with the Flames, Addy is going nowhere fast without Ortio.

Well Kingston got swept so now Bennett is available. Guess we'll see tomorrow what happens next.

Get him up with the AHL Flames and playing high minutes and hopefully getting them into the playoffs.

If you bring him in now don't you waste a yr of his entry contract? And if so why would you he didn't show much when they needed him most let sit the rest of the yr out and hopefully he will be ready next yr. obviously needs to improve a little more before he starts to play with the big boys

Also seems as the flames go so goes Abby

If you bring him in now don't you waste a yr of his entry contract? And if so why would you he didn't show much when they needed him most let sit the rest of the yr out and hopefully he will be ready next yr. obviously needs to improve a little more before he starts to play with the big boys

Also seems as the flames go so goes Abby

Yeah, I'm not sure if he gets 9 games to count as Year 1(like Monahan) or 1 game(like Gaudreau)?  Addy is still a step up and would help that team I think plus be more of a challenge for him, progression-wise.  Jumping right to the Flames is missing a step and may set up false expectations for next year.  Let him work his way up, its the best for him in the long run.

As for the Flames, their destiny is in their hands.  They've got 4 games against teams they've beat all year and if they can't pull it out they probably don't deserve it.  Plus we need to see who steps up because there is going to be some difficult decisions this summer. GFG, you can do it!

He needs to play 9 games before you burn a year of the ELC. Playoff games count. But if we are playing well enough to consider playing him 9 games that means we are looking at a potential second round in the playoffs. I won't be complaining if that were to happen.

I was under the impression that if their season in Juniors is over they could play in the AHL without burning a year of their contract. Did that change with the new CBA?

EDIT: As long as they are signed to a contract with the team of course, which Bennett I believe is.

He needs to play 9 games before you burn a year of the ELC. Playoff games count. But if we are playing well enough to consider playing him 9 games that means we are looking at a potential second round in the playoffs. I won't be complaining if that were to happen.

Our 3rd line is really lacking spark these days. Raymond / Granlund / Jooris (or Colborne) have not provided enough scoring. If BT decides to give Bennett a shot in the NHL, it wouldn't hurt the team any to put him between Granlund and Jooris. You have three options at taking faceoffs. Bennett couldn't be any softer than Raymond.

I'm not saying BT should do that, just that it makes as much sense as playing Raymond through an extended drought, or playing Bollig on the 4th line instead of dropping down Colborne or inserting Jooris or someone else.

EDIT:

Khrox - The 9 game thing is strictly NHL. The only way he can play in the AHL is after his team was eliminated, and by signing an ATO. AHL does not affect his NHL game limit at all.

Young C Sam Bennett heads to Calgary to join Flames for playoff run - calgarysun.com

Welcome Sam! I guess you're not going to the Adirondack Flames after all.

I love it when media types are proven wrong when they run with a rumour that becomes BS

The Flames had no more AHL recalls, so if Sam went there, he couldn't come to Calgary until the end of the season.

Young C Sam Bennett heads to Calgary to join Flames for playoff run - calgarysun.com

Welcome Sam! I guess you're not going to the Adirondack Flames after all.

I love it when media types are proven wrong when they run with a rumour that becomes BS.

Sounds like he was going to be sent to Toronto to play for Addy.  But when they had to use their last recall on Wotherspoon they decided to bring him to the NHL.  Otherwise they woudn't be able to recall him until Adirondack was out of the playoffs.  

Its the right call IMO.  I don't think he hurts the team.  I don't think playing a game hurts him.  I don't think sitting him to watch is a bad thing at this time of year either.  Plus, if we actually use all 9 games that means we are challenging for the second round of the playoffs.  I don't see the downside.  

Sounds like he was going to be sent to Toronto to play for Addy.  But when they had to use their last recall on Wotherspoon they decided to bring him to the NHL.  Otherwise they woudn't be able to recall him until Adirondack was out of the playoffs.  

Its the right call IMO.  I don't think he hurts the team.  I don't think playing a game hurts him.  I don't think sitting him to watch is a bad thing at this time of year either.  Plus, if we actually use all 9 games that means we are challenging for the second round of the playoffs.  I don't see the downside.

Considering the state of the Flames' secondary scoring, this is a good option to have. I can't tell you the last time Raymond, Colborne, Jones, Backlund have scored. He may be an upgrade to Granlund at center or not. He may be able to score on the wing or not. What is certain is that he will be playing at 110% level.

The Oilers passed on him to take Draisaitl. He fell to 4th because he couldn't do a pull-up. He was injured and still played solidly in pre-season. I think that Sam will want to show everybody what a healthy Bennett looks like and rub some noses in it.

Archived