Ryan Huska Named Adirondack Flames Head Coach

Sounds like the we've found our new Addy Head Coach:
Ryan Huska has been named Adirondack Flames' head coach

Huska is one of the most decorated amateur hockey men in Canada with four Memorial Cup championship rings to his name, three times as a player with the Kamloops Blazers (1992, 1994 and 1995), once as an assistant coach with the Kelowna Rockets (2004). He has been to the Memorial Cup an additional three times, in 2003 and 2005 as an assistant coach with the Rockets and won the WHL Championship and lost in the Memorial Cup finals in 2009 as the head coach. Internationally, he has captured a bronze and a silver medal as an assistant coach with Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

He's got a really good resume and am excited to see what he do for the Addy Flames next season! :D

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Treliving has announced Ryan Huska has been named the @AHLFlames new head coach. Huska comes from the @Kelowna_Rockets of @TheWHL.

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
Huska has had all kinds of success in the junior ranks with the Rockets. "This is a significant hire for us," Flames GM Treliving.

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
"I couldn't be more happy for having him join our organization," Treliving. He said Brad Pascall and Craig Conroy headed the search.

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced that they have hired Ryan Huska as the new head coach of their American Hockey League affiliate, Adirondack Flames.

Huska, a native of Cranbrook, British Columbia, has spent the last 12 seasons with the Kelowna Rockets, the first five as an assistant coach and the last seven seasons serving as their head coach. He played his junior hockey with the Kamloops Blazers before being drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in the third round (76th overall) in the 1993 NHL Draft. He played over 300 professional games in the AHL and the IHL with Indianapolis, Lowell and Springfield.

Huska is one of the most decorated amateur hockey men in Canada with four Memorial Cup championship rings to his name, three times as a player with the Kamloops Blazers (1992, 1994 and 1995), once as an assistant coach with the Kelowna Rockets (2004). He has been to the Memorial Cup an additional three times, in 2003 and 2005 as an assistant coach with the Rockets and won the WHL Championship and lost in the Memorial Cup finals in 2009 as the head coach. Internationally, he has captured a bronze and a silver medal as an assistant coach with Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

Last season Huska guided the Rockets to the WHL BC Division championship with a 57-11-0-4 record, setting a new franchise record with 57 wins. In his seven seasons as head coach, the Rockets have not finished below .500.

Interesting.  Wasn't he Backlund's coach?

Yes he was Backlund coach.

Love this hire. Huska had done an amazing job in kelowna both in terms of developing several good to above average prospects for the NHL but also getting results. Kelowna has become a junior factor of talent and success under his watch and as a bit of a rockets fan I've been really impressed and he has a great reputation around kelowna. Ward was going to be tough to replace but I think they did it and it wouldn't shock me if Huska is being talked about in pro circles in the next few years.

A great move, Huska is a great coach.

The Rockets and Kelowna will miss him, but with the talent factory he's been a part of developing here(especially of defense), I look forward to seeing what he can pump out for the Flames.

Huska as head coach, record: 303-164-37

I was worried when Calgary didn't bring Troy Ward back, but I think they have made a very good decision with bringing in Ryan Huska. He has been turning out NHL defensemen for several years. He also coached Jamie Benn. This should be a good move in terms of player development.

Starting to get a little overwhelmed by seeing hockey-1st moves from the front office. So this is what it's like having hockey guys up front.

Smart hockey guys not shy to add other smart hockey guys.

It feels like momentum!

Can't wait to see it translate onto the ice in our future.

Starting to get a little overwhelmed by seeing hockey-1st moves from the front office. So this is what it's like having hockey guys up front.

Smart hockey guys not shy to add other smart hockey guys.

It feels like momentum!

Can't wait to see it translate onto the ice in our future.

I couldn't put my finger on it but now you just did, it just feels like ever since the BT hiring everything has just snowballed and keeps picking up speed and excitement! It's just a breath of fresh air we haven't had in a long while I feel.

I've got my Jobu Voodoo doll all ready to go....

I couldn't put my finger on it but now you just did, it just feels like ever since the BT hiring everything has just snowballed and keeps picking up speed and excitement! It's just a breath of fresh air we haven't had in a long while I feel.

I've got my Jobu Voodoo doll all ready to go....

See...I read this, and immediately thought....

jobu-glc_zpse8d891cd.jpg

...and then I thought.....

jobu-bad_zpsa650531d.jpg

...but then I found this, and thought there might be something to what you're saying

I could barely respond to you guys I was in tears laughing so hard... I didn't want to post images cause they were pretty big, but I'm glad you guys got what I was saying hahaha I need to take a trip to Calgary to get you guys some beers, that made my day!! :lol: :lol:

Carty I had no idea who Don King was but you are 100% correct!!

OUT065412.jpg

I take the sentiment of a lot of posters here when they say when Ward was fired we thought, oh no.  Now what is going to happen to Addy and the young guys we're trying to develop?  I can honestly say this signing has more than alleviated my fears.  Huska brings, imo, the proper attitude and demeanor that suits the new Flame's identity that has been established.  He's strong in player development and I think will only prove positive on our future stars.

• 1 month later...
Todd Gill named assistant coach of Adirondack Flames
Todd Gill has been named an assistant coach with the Flames' AHL affiliate
Monday, 28.07.2014 / 10:06 AM / News
calgaryflames.com

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that Todd Gill has been named assistant coach with the Adirondack Flames of the American Hockey League. Gill will work with head coach Ryan Huska who was named to that position this past June.

Gill, who played over 1,000 games in the NHL, will be primarily responsible for the development of the Flames young defensmen at the AHL level. He has been the head coach for the past three seasons with Kingston of the OHL. He also has international coaching experience as he was the assistant coach for Team Canada, who captured the bronze medal at the 2012 (April) U-18 tournament and then was the head coach for the U-18 team who won the gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August of 2012.

Following his playing career, Gill’s first coaching position was as head coach of the Brockville Braves of the CJHL. He led the Braves for five seasons as bench boss as the team posted a record of 198-81-22. In 2010-11, he guided the Braves to the Eastern Canadian championship and a berth in the 2010 Royal Bank Cup. Gill was also a two-time head coach of Canada East at the World Junior A Challenge.

The Brockville, ON native played 1007 games in the NHL with Toronto, San Jose, St. Louis, Detroit, Phoenix, Colorado and Chicago. He played another 103 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He was originally drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second round of the1984 NHL Entry Draft and played the first 12 years of his career in a Leafs uniform.

Have to say I like the moves Treliving has made so far with these hirings.  The farm team seems to be in very capable hands.

Still surprised by the Troy Ward exit, it's amazing to see the domino effect of some of these moves and the names involved.

Troy Ward takes over for the Vancouver Giants,

Don Hay (former Flames coach) leaves Vancouver and takes over for the Kamloops Blazers,

Where Guy Charon vacates his head coaching position there.

I really liked Ward, I have to say that one last time.  It's hard to see the exit of Ward as a hockey decision, but maybe it was.

And yes, bringing in Ryan Huska is a great hockey decision.   Despite my confusion with the Ward exit, they have definitely redeemed themselves, at the very least, with this move.

Still surprised by the Troy Ward exit, it's amazing to see the domino effect of some of these moves and the names involved.

Troy Ward takes over for the Vancouver Giants,

Don Hay (former Flames coach) leaves Vancouver and takes over for the Kamloops Blazers,

Where Guy Charon vacates his head coaching position there.

I really liked Ward, I have to say that one last time.  It's hard to see the exit of Ward as a hockey decision, but maybe it was.

And yes, bringing in Ryan Huska is a great hockey decision.   Despite my confusion with the Ward exit, they have definitely redeemed themselves, at the very least, with this move.

Since Ward chose to stay in Vancouver and take on a WHL coaching role, it seems to point to a mutual decision.  If he wanted to coach in the AHL, there would have probably been opportunity.  That is just my thought, though.

Bringing in a new coach help us mold the development team (baby Flames) into a copy of the Flames.  Ward was more about preventing goals than scoring.  The Flames (both clubs) want to be tough to play against, play exciting hockey, and have better goal scoring.

• 3 months later...

Fan 960 said yesterday that Troy  Ward was released from his position of the coach for the Vancouver Giants.

They did not go into any detail as to why just that it is unusual for a coach to be fired after 25 games and while on a road trip.

One has to wonder if something else was going on too when he was replaced as coach of the Heat/ Jr. Flames???

5d9ad1b47df9f518fc6368f0257c9b96.png

Archived