Flames Qualifying Offers - Who Is Retained

Carty

The Flames have four NHL RFA players to consider extending...   Bouma, Byron, Colborne and Galiardi...  

Then they have Billins, Cundari, Eddy, Hanowski, Martin, Ortio and O. Roy...

Here is the complete list...

00fa67b4950ae3d01f2bbb7f55ff4731.png

Qualifying offers

The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

• If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.
  • If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.
  • If the player does not sign before December 1st, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season.

Possible outcomes

If a player accepts a qualifying offer he remains with his current team for a one- or two-year term. The length of the contract is determined by the player. At the end of this contract the player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. While the player is in negotiation with his current team, other teams are allowed to extend Offer Sheets to him. Should the player sign a proposed Offer Sheet, his current team is notified as such, can no longer negotiate a new contract or trade the rights to negotiate and is left with 2 options, Accept or Decline. The current team has 5 days to make its decision.

• Accept The player remains with his current team on a contract identical to that of the Offer Sheet. The team is not allowed to trade the player for one year.
  • Decline The player becomes a member of the team with whom he signed the Offer Sheet under all the terms of said Offer Sheet. His now former team claims draft picks from the player’s new team as compensation. Compensatory draft picks are determined by the player’s new salary on a sliding scale.

Who do they extend qualifying offers to, who signs or doesn't, and who will not make the cut?...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go no on Galiardi,Eddy and Martin and offer the rest. I don't think Galiardi had a very good season, not worth a mill and I think the flames could get a better player and fit in free agency. Eddy and Martin arnt strong enough to be AHL regulars and more talent I'd coming that needs to play.

I disagree about TJ, he had some of the better possession #'s on the team and was above average when it came to pushing the play out of our own zone, he may not have been very good offensively but he did pull his own wait in the dzone and on the PK, on a team with a below average bottom 3 d and a 4th line composed of goons, guys like TJ do hold value.

I would also qualify Bouma, Colbourne, Byron and Hanowski, however Hanowski looks more like a filler to me at this point that can help in the bottom 6 as a injury call up.

I'd also qualify both goalies, I think we have some nice talent there and both goalies, especially Joni show promise.

After that everyone else can walk unless they have shown enough in Abbotsford to help the youngsters tred water during there development.

• 5 weeks later...

That's too bad on Billins. I don't see an NHL upside. But he was really valuable on the Heat last season. He could also serve as an NHL call up when needed. Good luck to him.

Tough for a player like Billins to pass up the KHL money. He was a good depth guy in that he provided offense on the AHL club as well as being a good puck mover when called up to the Flames, just wasn't good enough in the defensive zone to be a full time NHLer.

The #Flames have tendered qualifying offers to 6 RFAs: Chad Billins, Lance Bouma, Joe Colborne, Mark Cundari, Ben Hanowski & Joni Ortio.

I'm really surprised that Byron wasn't given a QO

Me too. He put in so much effort and was an effective roster player. I did notice when people were putting trades together on this site and proposing what the roster would look like, he rarely figured. I just don't think we're good enough to let a player like Byron walk. I can only think he's not tall enough but he was competitive out there. The Nucks think he;s an enforcer!

I think the problem is our LW prospects are generally undersized and he will not get a roster spot in the centre. . But Byron is NHL ready and could give prospects a chance to develop. We are trying to be harder to play against and Byron is because he never lets off the pressure. He's a little pest but he is a pest, he's speedy, an effective penalty killer and a good hockey player. I hope somebody sees his value and he finds a niche in the NHL.

Galiardi and Byron are both effective NHL players.  But if the Flames are going to get bigger they can't keep the same roster.  Its a shame we were unable to trade their rights though.  But looking at some of players not qualified today these guys are not the best players to not be qualified. 

My last memory of Byron is him putting Sedin on a stretcher.

Hard to see Byron go because he was traded for Regehr and finally made it to the NHL after all these years.  He took a serious step up in his game since he was last seen and has proven to be a servicable full time NHLer in a 2nd/3rd line role.  Where he lacked size, he made up for speed in spade. I think he'll excel wherever he goes next.

I get the feeling the brass is clearing out most of the deals made by Feaster.  Not only to rid them of terrible contracts, but also to rid the fanbase and the club of the previous regime.  You can't erase the past, but you can erradicate it.

Only few contracts will remain that serve a purpose with the club, such as Russell, Ramo, and I guess Colborne, if you believe Feaster was behind the deal.

I get the feeling the brass is clearing out most of the deals made by Feaster. Not only to rid them of terrible contracts, but also to rid the fanbase and the club of the previous regime. You can't erase the past, but you can erradicate it.

Only few contracts will remain that serve a purpose with the club, such as Russell, Ramo, and I guess Colborne, if you believe Feaster was behind the deal.

I see it the same way, time to trim the fat...

I see no use in holding on to players that are not going to get us over the hump, time to clean out the closet and see what you have remaing. We have drafted allot of players and brought in allot through trade or try outs the past 2-3 years and not all are going to be able to stay.

I like Byron, I think he is a great call up guy who did well with his opportunity last season but he is not the type of player that will help us to the post season, especially when we already have guys likes of Sven and Johnny already in the system, these two offer top 6 talent and if they reach there potential are very different from PB.

Sad to see him go, but its nice to see this team get BIGGER!

Archived