The Curious Case Of Jay Feaster

s4xon

3rd game in 4 nights...

There is a disease alright, it's called buffoonery.

There is only Baertschi here from the big club, the rest aren't.

You're waxing about guys in a PROSPECT tournament, but you're talking about your NHL team.

You're an idiot.

Totally misguided comments and not appropriate.

The last thing I want is the "auditor" to come in, AFTER guys have busted their posteriors for 3 games in 4 nights, and bayonet the wounded.

Why not point out the obvious and build your guys up for the 2-1 record, rather than tear them down because your PRO team sucks???

All I can think, is what a piece of @#$%...

But they didn't bust their checking from behind 3 in 4 nights. They played two periods vs EDM, they played one period vs Vancouver and none against the Sharks. Yes they won 2 games. One was well deserved, the other, Ortio stole for them and the loss was well deserved. 

Blah blah blah.

So JP Anderson is mud, they should have blah blah blah, scored at least 7 times.

It's as if SJ has no prospects.

Hard to imagine "shinny" for 40 minutes against another team's top prospects without an 11-7 score, like we should destroy them regardless.

Doesn't quite work that way.

This isn't about scoring goals so much as it's about the effort. Goals come when there's effort. There wasn't effort. Maybe they needed to bring more players.

It was a stupid comment in the wrong place and in the wrong year.

The guy just refuses to give up when he should (the last two years), and when we've finally got some things to be hopeful about, he's down in the dumps.

We're finally getting a good group of prospects.  We finished 2-1 in the prospect camp, no idea why or how he'd turn that into a negative.   

But whatever, he can do or say whatever he wants.   Trade whoever he feels.   Just keep that guy away from our draft picks!!

Good things are coming.  Great things are coming.   But I doubt Feaster will be around to see them.  And I"m fine with that.

It was a stupid comment in the wrong place and in the wrong year.

The guy just refuses to give up when he should (the last two years), and when we've finally got some things to be hopeful about, he's down in the dumps.

We're finally getting a good group of prospects.  We finished 2-1 in the prospect camp, no idea why or how he'd turn that into a negative.   

But whatever, he can do or say whatever he wants.   Trade whoever he feels.   Just keep that guy away from our draft picks!!

Good things are coming.  Great things are coming.   But I doubt Feaster will be around to see them.  And I"m fine with that.

From what I saw, I have to disagree with this, many of the "Top" prospects were lazy and played with a sense of entitlement.  This is why Feaster said what he said, and GOOD FOR HIM!

Best case for the three games they only played four periods out of a possible total of nine, less than half, WTF??? UNACCEPTABLE plain and simple.  The issues is effort and the lack thereof, has crept into our youth group and it shows, this tournament was like watching the past 4 years of the big club hockey, very painful.  

Let's not forget, many of these young guys have been exposed to our old core, it's only natural they have learned some bad habits, so Feaster, and rightly so, called them all out and put a stop to it here and now before it plagues the entire prospect group.  Yes much of this is pointed towards Bear as one of the biggest culprits of playing lazy entitlement hockey.

Feaster is a messenger, much like he quotes Weisbrod about post apex players, he will now get information and guidance from Burke. Burke is now a baby sitter for Feaster, for how long do know. I am not a huge fan of either of them but a least Feaster has a better knowledge of hockey personalities around him other than King.

The whole interview (video)

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=11&id=443476&cmpid=embed-share-video

What I got from this interview, is that Feaster is feeling the pressure from Burke.  Around the 7 minute mark he mentions Burke's preferred style of play. 

I just found this interview a little odd.  The timing gets me.  Why all of the sudden now is Feaster talking about getting on pucks, dumping and chasing, getting turnover's, etc?  I haven't heard Feaster 'talk hockey' ever. 

I personally love the comments.  They were spot on and absolutely timed well.  If the kids played their butts off all tourny and still lost a game or two, I'm sure he'd be saying "you know what, they played hard", but the fact of the matter is that they didn't play hard.

And you can't use the excuse "3 games in 4 nights", or "no practice time".  Did the other teams in the tournament have an easier schedule?  Did the other teams in the tournament have more practice time?  When everything is equal across the board, that becomes a wash.

Also add to that the fact that San Jose was missing three of their top players.  This seems like another case of expecting a win before the game even started, so everyone had subconsciously checked out for the game and were just going through the motions.  How many times have we seen that with the big club?!?  We win a game against a team we're not supposed to beat because we play hard, only to lose the next two games to "easy win" teams.  It's a trend, everyone's frustrated with it, and finally Feaster is calling everyone out.

These boys are professionals, so they should be expected to give 100%, ESPECIALLY when their trying to impress flames brass.  They didn't give 100%, and you can bet words were said privately, but now they have been mildly humiliated publicly as well, and I'm all for that.  Would you rather we cradle these guys like they were babies?  Bull elbowing.  They played like crap for numerous periods out there, and now they have to hang their head in shame for a bit until their next oppertunity to right the ship.  Should they have come back to calgary heads held high?  Heck no.

Good on Feaster.  I have no issues with his comments, at all.  Now he's gotta do something about it.  Also, now he's gotta hold the big club to the same scrutiny, both publicly and privately.  If these boys can't handle a few (merited!) bad words in the media then they are in the wrong business anyways and need to get out asap.

The worst thing Feaster could have done was said "you know what, we only lost one game".  I don't know what you guys are complaining about.  We have a GM who wants to win every shift, who wants his players to play hard every shift.  And you're up in arms about that?!?

Here is what I don't understand is how many disapprove of what eh said. Everyone has picked apart one statement of negativity. The first minute he clearly said despite the first 40 minutes of this game management liked what the saw from the group, there was no complaints about the effort" . His concern is the culture or mailing it in. Prospect event or not, you should ALWAYS PLAY TO WIN.

You could compare this to parenting as well some people provide little brats a time out when they need a swift kick in the arse. Debatable both ways, but still comparable non the less. Was it inappropriate, I don't think so, again it is the trend he speaks of not the players he commented on.

Now you want if you read between the lines, Baer was crap as was Knight, Both are projected to make the big club, which is scary with the efforts both put forward, This event would have been the perfect opportunity to put an explanation mark on both being great assets, but nope mail it like every other player on the large club

Baer's effort doesn't surprise me as he has a poor attitude, but with Knight he was a huge disappointment, if that is the effort he put in send him back to Florida for free.   

I for one hope Feaster does as he says, either play the way we need or your done. You have to hold promise to threats, which with Burke he may grow a pair and do so.

It blows my mind how many liked this.

The question at 4:10 is pretty much "Jay, can you reiterate what you said off the top".

He reiterated it, and said something to the effect of, "it's not just these guys"....

Wow.

Anyone care to explain that away to me?

"Not just these guys"?

Hello, earth to Jay, this is development, getting young guys to develop in a certain way, so coaching on situational play for individuals.

C'mon Jay, you know...I think you're in assessment phase with how you'll manage your future.

If it's all about taking 3 of 3 here, start Ortio to let everyone know.

Address the big club, not a development tourney where wins and losses don't matter, or they'd be coached much differently.

However anyone cares to spin it, it's just a blind thing to do.

He's atsea, as it were.

I'd have loved to hear Ward's response..."ummm, Jay, I'm trying to give different guys different situations to evaluate and report to you on. Remember, we had this conversation already? I'd have started Ortio and coached it differently if I'd known you are so incredibly ummm, yeah, anyways".

Again listened through the entire interview twice and I am onside with Feaster in this one.

He wasn't overly critical.

He wasn't disrespectful.

He wasn't wrong.

He's setting the tone and trying to squash the lazy country club from the ground up.  These guys should be coming into the Heat with a drive to compete every shift so that it carries through their AHL time and if they make it to the NHL then that continues.

I loved the line "It doesn't matter what draft pick you were, it doesn't matter that the dollars are invested in you and your contract.  You're going to have to make this hockey team.... You either play the way we want you to play or you won't play.  And if you are not going to play the way we want you to play then we'll do our best, as a management group, to move you out because there's only going to be one way to do it now."

Now can they actually hold to that stand?  Historically I would have said, no Feaster won't, but with Burke as President I can see him holding Feaster to that.

Honestly this was probably Feasters best presser.  I liked it a LOT.  

Also a thought occurs to me,  sure they played 3 games in 4 nights, but so did everyone else.  Why is it other teams can play 3 in 4 or even 4 in 5 and manage to keep their compete up?  Why should we give the Flames a free pass?

From what I saw, I have to disagree with this, many of the "Top" prospects were lazy and played with a sense of entitlement.  This is why Feaster said what he said, and GOOD FOR HIM!

I would have to ask....What top prospects?  Did I miss something?

Almost all of the Flame's best talent is in US College this year, for starters.

Baertschi really Isn't a prospect, and he absolutely needs to stay injury-free right now.  He succeeded, I'm happy.   He also had his best game of the three, and is presumably gearing up.  It has nothing to do with self-entitlement.  It has to do with making sure he stays healthy.  He did exactly what he said he was going to do and exactly what I expected him to.  For him to even be in this is bordering on bizarre, and that's the truth.  I think it's the right decision, but only for injury-preventing conditioning.  He is the Only player of his calibre, on any team, that even showed up.   If you want to complain about attitudes, complain about the ones that DIDN'T show up.  At all.

Granlund Looked like a top prospect.  But he's not.  He had another Fantastic game.  Not quite as good as the first two, but still far better than was expected.  The bottom line is that Granlund is NOT a top prospect.  The fact that he Played like one should be a good thing.  A FANTASTIC thing.   It definitely shouldn't make him an instant punching-bag for fans looking to blame non-existant "top prospects".

Monahan is one of the youngest out there.  Had an off-game, but played well in the other two.

That is it, folks.  Hate to break the news, but nobody else is anywhere near "top prospect" on that team, most of them would seriously struggle at the AHL level.

We were out-gunned, and out-manned, on paper, on ice, and every other way. 

But:  We only lost be a goal, we finished with more wins than loses, and we had a couple Fantastic outcomes from the tournament in Granlund and Ortio.

To be honest, we just haven't drafted that well in 2012 and 2013.  It's not effort, folks.  You're looking at off-the-board drafting, is what's happening.  In 2011, we decided to adopt some best practices and went almost entirely BPA, had one of our greatest drafts in years, and then proceeded to go right off the deep end the next year with some the most ridiculous picks we've had since...well, Sutter.  We picked up three first-round picks this year and decided to use only one of them on a guy ranked in the first round.

We threw away our 2nd pick, and used our 3rd pick on a guy ranked for the 5th round.

2012 was the same, right from Jankowski on.

Defend it all you want, call it a lack of effort, but based on where these guys are Actually ranked on paper and in the hockey world, we held up reasonably well against San Jose, who had actual top prospects in attendance, like Tierni, Nieto, Boudreau, Lalancette.  All players we passed up on, despite their rank, to put together the ensemble you saw last night.  If you rank them based on what Feaster would have you believe, then sure.  Huge disapointment.  He couldn't have possibly blown the draft, so these guys must all be lazy.  Common Kanzig, pick up the slack!  You're not "trying" hard enough!

Maybe Feaster's being a man.  Maybe  he's passing the buck for aweful draft selections.  Coin-toss, really.

Either way,  we Do have some decent prospects in US College, our class of 2011 is looking phenomenal, and I think Monahan had a good series if not a good game.  Keep in mind that Monahan is likely never going to be that top center for us.  He's not ranked, or projected to be.  He's a great prospect who played like a  great prospect, for the most part.

You Have to be excited about Ortio.  Feaster's clearly focused more on the negative, but then he didn't draft Ortio, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The writing is on the wall:

The Worst, and the Best, of this franchise is Yet to come.  And In that order.

Have some patience, and don't get upset over every loss.  People are already over-reacting and training camp hasn't even started yet.  Trust me, you don't know the first thing about dissapointment if you thought that was it.  But you will soon enough.

If you get fed up with "attitudes" and walk away, fair enough.  If you see the bigger picture and stick around for these next two draft selections, there may just be a Stanley Cup at the end of the rainbow.  Don't expect Feaster to be there.

To be honest, we just haven't drafted that well in 2012 and 2013.  It's not effort, folks.  You're looking at off-the-board drafting, is what's happening.

The term 'off the board' has been beaten to death, not only on these forums, but on other sites as well.  There is nothing that indicates any of the picks were off the board.  There is no set list.

As for having not drafted that well in 2012 and 2013, its way too early to tell for either draft class.  We are just beginning to see the emergence of most the 2011 picks, and even Reinhart which was a 2010 pick. 

If you don't like the draft class from 2012 and 2013 as much as you like the 2011 class, that's a difference of opinion.  There are no facts here that dictate the Flames drafting poorer in 2012 and 2013 than 2011.

To be honest, we just haven't drafted that well in 2012 and 2013.  It's not effort, folks.  You're looking at off-the-board drafting, is what's happening.  In 2011, we decided to adopt some best practices and went almost entirely BPA, had one of our greatest drafts in years, and then proceeded to go right off the deep end the next year with some the most ridiculous picks we've had since...well, Sutter.  We picked up three first-round picks this year and decided to use only one of them on a guy ranked in the first round.

We threw away our 2nd pick, and used our 3rd pick on a guy ranked for the 5th round.

As a consistent lurker I just have to say that your constant high-and-mighty attitude, combined with stating your opinion as fact, is rather aggravating. In my opinion, you come off as quite arrogant and hard to converse with.

JJ,

I share your opinion that the 2011 draft to date was absolutely brilliant.  We'll just have to wait and see how the 2012 and 2013 drafts pan out in a couple years. 

Whether Feaster remains as a key part of the Flames future is another story.  I certainly can't predict the future on that one.

the thing is it has probably been talked about behind closed doors already to death and now that the old guard is out of town, this is the right time to say what he said. Weather the game matters or not, you should be giving 100% every shift. This is the mentality that they want and is the underlying foundation to the winning culture they want to have.

I think that was Feaster's best media scrum of his tenure.

Also, i do not think this has anything to do with Burke.

The content of Feaster's statement is not an issue for me...   To me it just seemed to be an odd choice of words for Feaster considering the history of statements that he has made in the past regarding the team...   Then there is the matter of the timing,...

Imho, I think that Feaster is already feeling the pressure, even this soon after the hiring of Burke...   Love him or not, Burke is Burke, and he will not just sit in the background...   He will put his stamp on the team, for better or for worse...   and over the next couple of years we will all find out how that goes...

I would have to ask....What top prospects?  Did I miss something?

Almost all of the Flame's best talent is in US College this year, for starters.

Baertschi really Isn't a prospect, and he absolutely needs to stay injury-free right now.  He succeeded, I'm happy.   He also had his best game of the three, and is presumably gearing up.  It has nothing to do with self-entitlement.  It has to do with making sure he stays healthy.  He did exactly what he said he was going to do and exactly what I expected him to.  For him to even be in this is bordering on bizarre, and that's the truth.  I think it's the right decision, but only for injury-preventing conditioning.  He is the Only player of his calibre, on any team, that even showed up.   If you want to complain about attitudes, complain about the ones that DIDN'T show up.  At all.

Granlund Looked like a top prospect.  But he's not.  He had another Fantastic game.  Not quite as good as the first two, but still far better than was expected.  The bottom line is that Granlund is NOT a top prospect.  The fact that he Played like one should be a good thing.  A FANTASTIC thing.   It definitely shouldn't make him an instant punching-bag for fans looking to blame non-existant "top prospects".

Monahan is one of the youngest out there.  Had an off-game, but played well in the other two.

That is it, folks.  Hate to break the news, but nobody else is anywhere near "top prospect" on that team, most of them would seriously struggle at the AHL level.

We were out-gunned, and out-manned, on paper, on ice, and every other way. 

But:  We only lost be a goal, we finished with more wins than loses, and we had a couple Fantastic outcomes from the tournament in Granlund and Ortio.

Defend it all you want, call it a lack of effort, but based on where these guys are Actually ranked on paper and in the hockey world, we held up reasonably well against San Jose, who had actual top prospects in attendance, like Tierni, Nieto, Boudreau, Lalancette.  All players we passed up on, despite their rank, to put together the ensemble you saw last night.  If you rank them based on what Feaster would have you believe, then sure.  Huge disapointment.  He couldn't have possibly blown the draft, so these guys must all be lazy.  Common Kanzig, pick up the slack!  You're not "trying" hard enough!

Maybe Feaster's being a man.  Maybe  he's passing the buck for aweful draft selections.  Coin-toss, really.

Either way,  we Do have some decent prospects in US College, our class of 2011 is looking phenomenal, and I think Monahan had a good series if not a good game.  Keep in mind that Monahan is likely never going to be that top center for us.  He's not ranked, or projected to be.  He's a great prospect who played like a  great prospect, for the most part.

You Have to be excited about Ortio.  Feaster's clearly focused more on the negative, but then he didn't draft Ortio, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The writing is on the wall:

The Worst, and the Best, of this franchise is Yet to come.  And In that order.

Have some patience, and don't get upset over every loss.  People are already over-reacting and training camp hasn't even started yet.  Trust me, you don't know the first thing about dissapointment if you thought that was it.  But you will soon enough.

If you get fed up with "attitudes" and walk away, fair enough.  If you see the bigger picture and stick around for these next two draft selections, there may just be a Stanley Cup at the end of the rainbow.  Don't expect Feaster to be there.

Stop with the Baertschi needs to be injury free. We shouldn't play him at all if we're worried about him getting injured. What if he's not good enough to make the NHL team? I guess we shouldn't play him in Abbotsford then, because he might get injured. 

Injuries are going to happen at every level and they're freak accidents for the most part. Some get them more than others.

The one thing about his effort is, he's suppose to be a role model to the younger players. This was a chance for him to be a leader and the Flames were quite possibly grooming him for that and a good reason he was at the Prospects Tournament. That goes for Knight and other prospects as well. 

See the bolded... This is the attitude that gets me. Ok we won 2 and lost one. But you're happy with that result. I understand wins are what you're looking for, but the effort sucked for most of the tournament. This is the whole reason for the rant and why Feaster had to touch on it. We can't be content with two wins no matter what level of hockey you're playing. Play to win every time. It's fine to lose when you play to win, at least you played to win. 

That's what got me about the Flames for the last 6 years. When we were making the playoffs but played and barely won a lot of games and won by luck, we were ok with it because they won and made the playoffs, having Kipper mask some of the real issues on the team for a few years before the elbowing hit the fan. We can't be content if the efforts not there. That's what Feaster is saying, plain and simple! I am not happy we won the two. I was happy with the 1st game. After that, it was just bad. No effort against the Canucks until about the 3rd and no effort vs the Sharks. Thats not good.

Also, your fifth round selection, Morgan Klimchuk wasn't even there.

the thing is it has probably been talked about behind closed doors already to death and now that the old guard is out of town, this is the right time to say what he said. Weather the game matters or not, you should be giving 100% every shift. This is the mentality that they want and is the underlying foundation to the winning culture they want to have.

Not only that, the old guard had to be quite coddled. So Feaster couldn't really say these things in the media back then. The culture has to change. It's a fact.

Not only that, the old guard had to be quite coddled. So Feaster couldn't really say these things in the media back then. The culture has to change. It's a fact.

You are right.  This isn't the old guard.  So Feaster shouldn't be taking his issues with the old guard out on these kids.  

Feaster's case of foot-in-mouth disease is showing no signs of recovery. He is not good at dealing with prospects. As soon as we signed Corban Knight he was saying he expected him to play with the big club this year, raising expectations to such a degree that even a good debut season in Abbotsford would fall below those expectations. That is ridiculous for a kid who had a decent college career and is just starting out of a pro. He puts too much out there to the media, seemingly prior to engaging his brain. He seems like an emotional guy who just vents. I'm sure he next gaffe is just around the corner...

Feaster's case of foot-in-mouth disease is showing no signs of recovery. He is not good at dealing with prospects. As soon as we signed Corban Knight he was saying he expected him to play with the big club this year, raising expectations to such a degree that even a good debut season in Abbotsford would fall below those expectations. That is ridiculous for a kid who had a decent college career and is just starting out of a pro. He puts too much out there to the media, seemingly prior to engaging his brain. He seems like an emotional guy who just vents. I'm sure he next gaffe is just around the corner...

Indeed.  

• He said Horak was told to find a place in Calgary because he wasn't going back to Abby.  He has back and forth since. 
  • Baertchi not making the team would be the upset special.  He went back to Abby.
  • Your example on Knight. 
  • Thinks Sieloff will make the team, Culkin is playing for a contract, etc.  

The list goes on.  Never heard the undersell and over deliver motto obviously.  And it sets up the prospects to be disappointed.  

You are right.  This isn't the old guard.  So Feaster shouldn't be taking his issues with the old guard out on these kids.  

And I would agree with Kehatch but to a point.  And that point is unless the "kids" have taken up the bad habits of the "old guard".   And there is no denying watching the tourney felt, frustratingly, a LOT like watching the Flames over the last 6 or 7 years.

Win the game cleanly on the odd 60 minute game (game 1), catch some good goaltending and eek out a win you probably didn't deserve (game 2) and then just barely lose a game you deserved to be blown out in (game 3).

It gives the illusion that the team is on the cusp of something really great but in reality it's only masking that what it's missing is attitude and leadership based, not talent.

So in this case I think it was the perfect thing to say for Feaster.  The message was Calgary ain't a country club anymore, work hard or find a new job.  I think it might be a signal that they (as in management / ownership) finally care more about supporting and catering to the crest on the front than the name on the back.   If so this is something that is LONG overdue in Calgary.

This is a message I can get behind, and with Burke being the ultimate boss you know that Jay isn't talking out of his checking from behind.  If you are the problem they will ship you out in a hurry.

Archived