Tim Harrison

s4xon

Ok, this little bugger's been weighing on my mind since he was drafted.  Lets look at the last month so far shall we?

999651_10151702478713704_1725485879_n.jp

-Drafted 6th round by the Calgary Flames

-When his name was announced, he was a ghost as no one could find info on the kid

-Comes in as a surprise as a high school kid with a height of 6'3 and roughly 175lbs.

-Attends Flames prospect camp and gets his first face time on a video interview.

-As camp progresses, manages to piss off almost half the prospect camp as an in your face player, including the biggest badass prospect Kanzig :blink:

-Hits the Flames' number 1 prospect with a good clean hard hit in the second scrimmage

-Receives a nice cross check to the face from the number 1 prospect who didn't like hit 30 seconds prior

-Draws a penalty shot, pulls a nice move, and scores

-With the goal, elevates his team to an eventual 1 goal victory

-Earns more face time in front of the Camera and impresses Flames brass in the process

-Becomes the topic of discussion amongst talking heads, fans, and local radio hosts.

-He single handedly took his stock situation into his own hands and significantly raised it in front of an NHL Franchise and it's fanbase, and even the local media (read his nice story below), putting his name on the map.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Feisty+Harrison+aggressive+irritating+best+Flames+camp/8664997/story.html

I think he deserves his own thread.  Can't say I'm more intrigued with this kid than anyone past the 1st round, maybe even more than Klimchuk in my mind.

The kid made an impact in development camp.  That is a pretty big deal for a guy that almost nobody in the hockey world knew anything about once he was drafted.  The fact he is a topic of conversation in a camp with so many hyped players (3 new first rounders, new guys like Knight and Agostino, stars like Baertschi and Gaudreau, etc) is a pretty big deal.  

So call me impressed.  But making a nuisance of yourself in a development camp versus making it to the show are two very different things.  But making an impression was the first step.  Now he needs to make a bunch more over the next two or three seasons.  

I'm quite intrigued and was pretty impressed. For his size he has no problem moving around the ice and I love that he seems to do whatever it takes to be involved and has a really good power move to the net. Seems to keep his gane nice and simple and whike His offence seems inconsistent that can develop over time. If it does the flames may have someone here.

ada5db1088da1150e49ef3ca3524b797.png

A quote from Harrison when asked to describe his game style after the first scrimmage...

"I'm a pretty energized guy. I like to move my feet. I'm a big guy, but I think once I'm at full throttle I think I can get moving and use my body to my advantage. I think I can turn my skill level up a bit. I like to hit guys. I like to block shots. I like to just be a full-on energy guy out there."

Taking a run at our #1 prospect to get air time is not something we should be encouraging.

I highly doubt that was his agenda, seeing as Kanzig also seemed to find himself on Harrison's radar as well as half his team.  Sven needs to learn he isn't a prized jewel that deserves special treatment.  Its hockey, if he can't take a hit from a lanky prospect, then I don't think I want him taking hits from fully filled out NHL'ers. 

The brass certainly liked what they saw.

I don't think that a lot is expected of newly drafted players in a development camp like this. It's their first time being with their NHL team, they are one step closer to their dream and with only still being teenagers it's easy to see how the shock and awe of the moment can take over. By the second year you know what is expected and you are over the excitement of just being drafted and are more focused on the goal at hand, being a professional hockey player.

That's why I am not at all worried if guys like Klimchuk and Poirier didn't have the strongest camp as they were still learning what was expected of them at a camp like this and learning from NHL players like Baertschi and Horak how much they have to raise their level to make it to the NHL.

That's also why I came away so impressed with Harrison, I think he realized that for him first impressions were going to be everything. He doesn't have the luxury of being a high pick so he has to work that much harder to get noticed, and with this being his first camp and coming from a small high school with next to no media coverage he did a great job marketing himself.

I have no issues with him hitting Baertschi. He came out and showed the kind of compete that Calgary is going to need to be successful. I don't think Harrison ran Baertschi and I don't think he targeted him either I just think it was a good hockey play.

Taking a run at our #1 prospect to get air time is not something we should be encouraging.

Completely disagre. I get the injury thing but I think it's about time someone on the flames asserted themselves and stopped kissing up to the best prospect, best player etc.

I didn't see the hit personally, but as long as it was clean, it should be encouraged, since it is a part of his game that should be developed. If a prospect cannot take a clean, hard hit from a teenager, how is he going to survive Boston, LA, etc.?

On the other hand, if he ran him, etc. he should be taken out to the tool shed and read the riot act. It should be clear that a dirty hit on one of his teammates is not going to be tolerated.

The prospect camp is for players to learn what they need to do as well as get a chance to stand out. You want players who stand out by playing hard to roll over at the prospect camp?

He's going to be a pain in the checking from behind if he makes it. He looks like a guy who loves the game though, and if he's going to be the type of player that is wanted by every team in the league but every other team hates to play against, then I'd say that is a pretty darn good player.

I like a guy who enjoys his job. And it's hard for people to enjoy being a role player; everyone wants to be the big star on their team. But Tim's attitude is impressive. If he never makes the NHL it's still a fair use of a 6th round pick. If he does the scouts should get a raise for that one.

So lets see, physical, scores and isn't intimidated by size or the situation...... This kid never being this type of atmosphere stood out in a high pressure situation. I hope he gets on the roster, be nice to have someone with some form of energy and charisma... good on the scouts

NHL players will take a run @ a guy early. If he can't handle/learn to avoid it he'll be out of the league fast.

He's a 6th rounder & we have many pages on our 3rd so why not.

I know nothing about the kid but the posts make it sound like this 1 has an on/off switch rather then the dial most have. Even on a low line you know he'll hit "on" & dang the circumstances.

I can't foresee when he will make the team but, i feel he made a great impact. Conroy raved about him.

Excited for this future in Calgary.

Well he is probably going to be a few years in Dental School / Retail Marketing at Colgate. :D

If he blossoms in the NCAA, he may decide to drop out and sign with the Flames in two years time.  He could have a future as a 4th line pisseroffer or a 2nd line power forward.  Let's see how he does in his freshman year, though. 

To Colgate's credit, Andy McDonald is an alumni, as is Mike Milbury. That's about it though.

I'm not sure that using Mike Milbury's name is a credit to any university's name.

That said, I believe it is considered one of the better liberal arts institutions.

Archived