Official 2013 Nhl Draft Day Thread

s4xon

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"safe to assume" doesn't go down with the flames

Really?

I get that the scouting group etc. has made a few first round selections that was not in line with TSN, and lots of people are mad that they use their scouting department for more then a way to compile sports reporters draft rankings. However, can you please show me a single time that the Flames under Feaster have deliberately left something extra on the table? Last year they traded down to get an extra pick and still got the guy they wanted. There were rumors the nucks wanted him a few picks later. this year they didn't trade down, and there are rumours that the Canadians wanted him 2 picks later.

I have updated my Flames Roster and Prospect Rankings.  They are also linked in my signature.  

My takes:

• 6. Monahan: The obvious pick.  I would have been okay with Nurse or Nichushkin.  But Monahan was probably the right pick. 
  • 22. Poirier: I was initially shocked.  But this wasn't any more off the board then many of the other mid to late first rounders.  Whether it was an early pick or not I don't know.  But he is a good prospect.  
  • 28: Klimchuk: There were a handful of players available at 28 I really liked.  Klimchuk included.  
  • 67: Kanzig: This is the first pick I really didn't like.  But I don't know much about him and some are really high on him.  
  • 135: Roy: I like this pick.  A high risk / high reward prospect who might be a great player if he turns out.   
  • 157: Harrison: I know nothing about this pick. 
  • 187: Rafikov: The limited reviews on him are positive.  
  • 198: Gilmour: No idea.  He is a little older and players with Jankowski and Gilles so the Flames have probably seen him a bunch.  I don't know anything about him. 

Overall this is a solid draft.  The Flames got three solid prospects in the first round and a couple of guys in later rounds that potentially have a big upside. 

I was impressed that Feaster didn't let the picks burn a hole in his pocket.  On the other hand it was a bit anticlimatic give then rumors going around.  Building through the draft is the right thing to do though.  So good job Flames.  

Rumour has it that MTL was interested in Poirier. Where there's smoke....

If that's the case, better to pick the guy you want rather than trade back and hope for the off-chance that he might make it to you.

It'd be an entirely different scenario if there's a guarantee that he'll be had at 28.

In the 1st another team being interested in 1 on your list means 1 of 2 things.

In this case it might mean they expected him to be BPA @ 25 making Feaster decide between Poirer & Shinkaruk (who the Orca beat them to).

The other possible is they had their eye on someone else (in this case McCarron) in mind & pysched Feaster.

Wished someone would've picked up Lucas Wallmark, considering he'd have similar numbers as Alex Wennberg had he played more than 16 games in the AllSvenskan. Looked good (but not great) at the U-18s as well.

Tons of skill despite lack of size. He will be drafted next year barring catastrophic injury.

That's sad. No one would draft you so your dad pulls some strings for you.

Considering how late the pick was its not like there is a legitimate chance anyone drafted there is ever going to get a entry level contract anyway. Rather then dad pulling strings, this may have been the devils doing something special for arguably the most important player in their history.

Whether it was at Marty's request or not, its a classy move by the devils to do especially considering they picked up Schnider earlier in the day.

Considering how late the pick was its not like there is a legitimate chance anyone drafted there is ever going to get a entry level contract anyway. Rather then dad pulling strings, this may have been the devils doing something special for arguably the most important player in their history.

Whether it was at Marty's request or not, its a classy move by the devils to do especially considering they picked up Schnider earlier in the day.

Great move.  For a legend and in NJ for the fans.  Really special moment for the player, prospect, franchise, and fans.  

I have updated my Flames Roster and Prospect Rankings.  They are also linked in my signature.  

My takes:

• 6. Monahan: The obvious pick.  I would have been okay with Nurse or Nichushkin.  But Monahan was probably the right pick. 
  • 22. Poirier: I was initially shocked.  But this wasn't any more off the board then many of the other mid to late first rounders.  Whether it was an early pick or not I don't know.  But he is a good prospect.  
  • 28: Klimchuk: There were a handful of players available at 28 I really liked.  Klimchuk included.  
  • 67: Kanzig: This is the first pick I really didn't like.  But I don't know much about him and some are really high on him.  
  • 135: Roy: I like this pick.  A high risk / high reward prospect who might be a great player if he turns out.   
  • 198: Gilmour: No idea.  He is a little older and players with Jankowski and Gilles so the Flames have probably seen him a bunch.  I don't know anything about him. 
Overall this is a solid draft.  The Flames got three solid prospects in the first round and a couple of guys in later rounds that potentially have a big upside. 

I was impressed that Feaster didn't let the picks burn a hole in his pocket.  On the other hand it was a bit anticlimatic give then rumors going around.  Building through the draft is the right thing to do though.  So good job Flames.

Gilmour - looks a bit small, but he is young and had 13 points in the year; lots of time to develop him.

Rafikov - another D, this time a Ruskie. Long-term prospect who could come here a be dominant some day, but that is a long time off. I like the comparison to Nikita Nikitin, cause I love hearing that name. :)

My takes:

Awesome work man!

Judging from youtube videos (which isn't a lot to go on) I like Poirier. He's got great wheels. Goes to the net hard. I can see him being a top 6 forward who can play on the PK and get in on the forecheck..

thehockeywriters.com compare him to a more physical Alex Tanguay.

Judging from youtube videos (which isn't a lot to go on) I like Poirier. He's got great wheels. Goes to the net hard. I can see him being a top 6 forward who can play on the PK and get in on the forecheck..

thehockeywriters.com compare him to a more physical Alex Tanguay.

If he doesn't whine like Tanguay, then he's going to be alright.

I like the Eric Roy pick in the 5th high risk high reward. He put up 53 points in 69 games last year when Brandon had a great team, but it sounds like him Pulock really drove the bus offensively for Brandon this year. He is a good skater and has good size. Sounds like he needs to fix some holes defensively before he is ready to make the jump to the NHL. I also read that he has a canon for a shot. I also read that he is compared to Sheldon Souray. Hopefully Montreal Canadiens Souray.

Seriously, I didn't like our 22 and 28th selections. I think there was some better player available, especially at 22. I mean, I would have been fine with Poirier at 28. But why take him at 22. Just as retarded as Jankowski last year. This is unacceptable to me, especially while prospects like Shinkaruk(native of CGY) is available. Two LW is also unacceptable. There were better players available, especially at 22. I am again disappointed. Also Fucale with our 2nd rounder in MTL.. ugh. Just to make us look worse, especially now that we're gonna dump Cammy for probable garbage. 

Can anyone else see there prospect score yet? I'm on Hockey's Future and I'm not seeing anything. 

I was told Monahan had a 8.0 B, Poirier had a 7.0 C and Klimchuk had a 7.0 C. 

But when I went to take a look, they aren't loading for me. 

Seriously, I didn't like our 22 and 28th selections. I think there was some better player available, especially at 22. I mean, I would have been fine with Poirier at 28. But why take him at 22. Just as retarded as Jankowski last year. This is unacceptable to me, especially while prospects like Shinkaruk(native of CGY) is available. Two LW is also unacceptable. There were better players available, especially at 22. I am again disappointed. Also Fucale with our 2nd rounder in MTL.. ugh. Just to make us look worse, especially now that we're gonna dump Cammy for probable garbage. 

I can't speak for you, but I read a few magazines, watched a few games, and studies a few web sites.  I had the guys I wanted.  But if in some messed up world they gave me the decision on who to draft there is no way I would make it.  I am not an expert on prospects. And I don't have the inside information on who may draft where.  

I had a few other guys I wanted at 22.  Same thing at 28.  If this was a fantasy draft I wouldn't have picked either of those guys.  But like I said.  I am no expert.  Even the experts disagree drastically and a prospect can move up and down rounds over the course of a season.    

The Flames really didn't reach all that much.  Mackenzie had Poirier going at 46 but a number of sources had him in the first round.  Sounds like at least one team was going to take him before 28.  Meanwhile most sources had Klimchuk going where he did.  I know we have a lot of LW.  But who cares.  BPA is the best way to draft.  If we end up with 3 Baertschi level candidates at LW you don't think we can move one for a big return?  Or just move one to RW?  

Both players are legitimate prospects. The Flames didn't commit the big sins:

1) Make the 'safe' low ceiling pick

2) Trade away our picks

3) Go drastically off the board 

4) Draft for optics

Number 4 is a big one.  If the Flames truly felt Poirier was the BPA but they drafted Shin because of the Calgary connection or his public rankings they would have been making a huge error.  I am glad they stuck to their guns.  And time will tell if they were right or not.  

PS, all three of the 1st rounders are in my to 10 prospects for the Flames:

AAA

1. Baertschi: Had a slow start but a strong finish.  Clearly the Flames best prospect.  

2. Brodie: Showed top 2 potential in an unbelievable break out season.

3. Monahan: Big strong 2-way C.  The guy the Flames have been looking for?

4. Gaudreau: Hobey Baker candidate as a 150 pound sophomore?  Top 5 NHL prospect if a little bigger.  

A

1. Klimchuk: Smart all zone left winger.  

2. Backlund: The jury is out on his ability to produce top 6 offence.  But his overall game is NHL quality.

3. Poirier: Offensively gifted speedy winger

4. Jankowski: He did just fine in his NCAA debut.  He is a guy to get excited about next season.  Watch for breakout.   

Both Todd Button and Poirier said him self that he can play eith wing, Todd actually referred to him as a RW so my guess is that s were they expect him to play....

No matter what happened today no one was going to be happy with the picks....

We all had so many different ideas of who we wanted, I was looking at Hartman and Dman with our final two and got neither, but it looks like these guys did there home work and got some very solid prospects that will one day crack the roster.

It's not everyday you see a kid like Poirier that has dynamic speed like he does to go along with what looks like some very impressive hands and a bit of a mean streak. This could be a real home run, so before you rip Feaster a new one, why don't we all wait a season or two and see what we really got?

I can't speak for you, but I read a few magazines, watched a few games, and studies a few web sites.  I had the guys I wanted.  But if in some messed up world they gave me the decision on who to draft there is no way I would make it.  I am not an expert on prospects. And I don't have the inside information on who may draft where.

I had a few other guys I wanted at 22.  Same thing at 28.  If this was a fantasy draft I wouldn't have picked either of those guys.  But like I said.  I am no expert.  Even the experts disagree drastically and a prospect can move up and down rounds over the course of a season.    

The Flames really didn't reach all that much.  Mackenzie had Poirier going at 46 but a number of sources had him in the first round.  Sounds like at least one team was going to take him before 28.  Meanwhile most sources had Klimchuk going where he did.  I know we have a lot of LW.  But who cares.  BPA is the best way to draft.  If we end up with 3 Baertschi level candidates at LW you don't think we can move one for a big return?  Or just move one to RW?  

Both players are legitimate prospects. The Flames didn't commit the big sins:

1) Make the 'safe' low ceiling pick

2) Trade away our picks

3) Go drastically off the board 

4) Draft for optics

Number 4 is a big one.  If the Flames truly felt Poirier was the BPA but they drafted Shin because of the Calgary connection or his public rankings they would have been making a huge error.  I am glad they stuck to their guns.  And time will tell if they were right or not.  

Can you stop being a moderator so I can give you props on your post since it is probably one of the most reasoned and intelligent posts I have seen on here in a long time! +800

Archived