Ufa Targets 2013

joeyabs

UFA's Flames Should Target  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Flames consider signing? (can choose more than one)

• Ribeiro (WASH)
    • Horton (BOS)
    • Stalberg (CHI)
    • Brunner (DET)
    • Filppula (DET)
    • Clarkson (NJ)
    • Clowe (NYR)
    • Bozak (TOR)
    • Raymond (VAN)
    • Weiss (FLA)

Weren't they pretty much shopping Horkoff all last year? He was part of just about any rumour for semi talented forwards. I will assume it will be a lot tougher to trade him this season, as teams attempt to dump cap, unless they are willing to take a loss of value. His contract(5.5mil cap hit x2 more seasons) and age(34) are major stumbling blocks for trading him.

I think the Oilers have been trying to dump Horcoff for a few years now. Compliance buyouts may finally give them an opportunity because I can't see any team in the NHL interested in Horcoff.

Between his cap hit, His history of injuries and the fact he played 31 games this season and only got 7 goals and 5 assists...   It's got to be difficult to find another home for him...   I agree that he is a candidate for a buyout...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Fistric is another guy to consider. He's got size (6'2" 230lbs) and is a physical presence, he had 88 hits in 25 games with Edmonton this year and 235 hits in 60 games the year before with Dallas, he also blocked 105 shots that year.

He's a bottom pairing defenseman, but Calgary could use his size and physicality. Also he is only 26. Most of the other options for big physical defenseman are all in their mid to late 30's.

He should also be cheap, he only made 1.475 mill last year.

Mark Fistric is another guy to consider. He's got size (6'2" 230lbs) and is a physical presence, he had 88 hits in 25 games with Edmonton this year and 235 hits in 60 games the year before with Dallas, he also blocked 105 shots that year.

He's a bottom pairing defenseman, but Calgary could use his size and physicality. Also he is only 26. Most of the other options for big physical defenseman are all in their mid to late 30's.

He should also be cheap, he only made 1.475 mill last year.

He's also the kind of player you look @ when the well is dry & nothing else is available.

Between buyouts (amnesty & others) as teams drop cap there is better available. Even regular UFAs will either take less, flee to Europe if they get an offer or sit around wishing they were playing. Salary expectations this year have to take a drop because of the lower cap.

Teams might still go crazy on offers for the names if they become available but the UFA crop right now isn't top tier like some previous. No Suter, Parenteau or even Brad Richards. We have Rebeiero, Iggy & a lot of 35+. There are Boyes, Bozak & Derek Roy @ under 30 but none is a player you break the bank for.

If we get desperate Fistric will probably be available in October.

Honestly at this point I don't think Fistric is a better option that Sarich. Only upside is that Fistric is younger but I don't agree with signing a player just because he is young if he isn't what you are after long term. Fistric's skating is not good enough for me to be excited about him.

I think Cundari is a similar type player but with better wheels and a better shot, Fistric was on a mediocre D core and failed to step up and fill a gaping need on Edmontons blue line, I see no reason why we should expect him to come to Calgary and do any different?

I think Cundari is a similar type player but with better wheels and a better shot, Fistric was on a mediocre D core and failed to step up and fill a gaping need on Edmontons blue line, I see no reason why we should expect him to come to Calgary and do any different?

Beat me to it. Fistric couldn't be a regular on a really crappy oilers defense squad. Better off platooning Cundari / Breen.

I don't want Jokinen.  He is fitting in well on a stacked team like Pittsburgh.  But I don't think he would fit in well here.  I also don't like his size and I would like UFA forward pick ups to bring some size.  I have zero interest in Redden.  We don't need to bring on a 35 year old that can't put up points anymore and doesn't play hard or physical.  

Disagree... redden gives you something a rebuilding team sorely needs, veteran leadership. Hes an upgeade to our current top 6, solid defensively, and would come cheap and short term, great tool to work with the young d we will no doubt be Incorporating

Same goes for jokinen..good 2 way player, kills it on shootouts..would come cheap and short term and is always moveable on deadline day

Would love to see Ribero, but will be too pricey and wants too long a term

Another good D upgrade we should consider is Ben Lovejoy of anaheim..only 29, plays good minutes, only made $525k this year

He's really inconsistant and more often than not won't play to his talent level so he is a frusturating player in that regard. he should be a solid top 6 forward but he doesn't play like it near enough, his compete level varies.

I'm not huge on FA this year I don't think there are many options and as has been said the only real need for the Flames is a top 4 d. They Flames do need to get a bit bigger and tougher but they would need to clear bodies out first and make room.

These are the only players in FA I have an interest for the Flames but none i'm super excited about. alot of these guys I expect to get overpaid so I would lose interest quickly.

Nathan Horton RW

David Clarkson RW

Ryan OBryne

Raffi Torres

Tyler Bozak

Eric Nystrom

Boyd Gordon

Grant Clitsome

Brad Richardson

David Steckel

Maxim Lapierre

Victor Stalberg

Kyle chipchura

Bryan Bickell

That's a better list for where I'm at. Horton and Clarkson will come in overpaid to play with lesser players than they line up with now.

I'd like to see us not go for the home run splash, as I don't care much for the pool.

Gordon, Clitsome and Richardson would be my choices.

You've gotta build a team, buying one rarely works out.

I simply don't see Clarkson, Horton or Ribiero as the guys to move forward with, so would like us to focus on better depth. I do not care for our bottom 6 forwards, they have some jam, but lack any consistency towards most valid NHL skillsets, it's not just Comeau.

To feel obligated to make a splash is my biggest fear. Build the team you want, don't build on what's available in the right now.

I'm good with patience to get what we want, rather than hurried into who we can get.

It'll take some time, so why not shore up on the type of depth you want in the meantime?

I know some fans think we have depth, but I don't agree. We only have never-make-the-playoffs depth.

I don't know about 2nd line but definitely 3rd line RW. He is like Glencross, a good enough player to float between the 2nd and 3rd lines effectively. What would CHI want for him do you think ?

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=239392

He's one of the fastest guys in the league, would be top 6 in calgary esp being a RW'er. Maybe he's a defensive liability or bad locker room personality?

Brainfart, I forgot he is a FA, forget that last question. LOL

I don't know about 2nd line but definitely 3rd line RW. He is like Glencross, a good enough player to float between the 2nd and 3rd lines effectively. What would CHI want for him do you think ?

you do know Jussi Jokinen is not a UFA this year right? He is signed next year at 3 mill, but I think his cap hit is 2.1 and you'd have to acquire him.

Damn I totally read that wrong on capgeek the first time..ok scratch him, not worth giving up assets for. I still stand by Redden tho..thanks for the catch

Clitsome and/or Sanguinetti would be much better than Fistric

Clitsome and Sanguinetti play a similar style game as Wideman, Giordano, Brodie, Smith and Butler. Calgary needs to add more of a physical presence to the back end, that's where Fistric fits in. O'Byrne also brings that element.

Fisric might be a 6th defenseman, but I think he still adds a missing element and penalty killing ability.

Clitsome and Sanguinetti play a similar style game as Wideman, Giordano, Brodie, Smith and Butler. Calgary needs to add more of a physical presence to the back end, that's where Fistric fits in. O'Byrne also brings that element.

Fisric might be a 6th defenseman, but I think he still adds a missing element and penalty killing ability.

No thanks to the Oiler's cast-offs.

But he's ungodly slow, that's why he watched from the pressbox, on the Oilers of all teams.

O'Byrne's not a bad choice, but I'd prefer Clitsome as I don't think overly aggressive dmen hold a lot of water anymore. If you look at the dmen around the league, you really don't see the overly aggressive one's too much anymore, the game is too fast.

I admit we get pushed around a lot, but you've also gotta admit our rosters positional talent is relatively low compared to most teams.

We don't have enough talent to move the puck and not get beat up. Adding size is fine, but I doubt we can afford to have it at the cost of skills. You don't need size to play with grit, but you have to be positionally sound and smart enough to win battles. Your going to sit in the box a lot thinking you'll just beat them up in this day and age.

That's why I'm hung up on depth. Is Stajan even a better 3rd/4th line option than Richardson?

We've gotta figure out the real good teams are real good because they have real good depth players.

We don't. The most I can say about our roster bottoms is, "they work hard".

That isn't enough, they have to work hard with more effect.

You're as good as your worst player, if you aren't comfortable lining your 3-4 lines against the other teams 1st line, it hurts your high end scorers, a lot. You can't get them the matchups. Options become limited and you mix lines like crazy, which affects your consistency. I think that's where we've been at for too long, and we see the results.

All because we like to cheap out after the 1st 2 lines, cheap is more important than effective.

I wouldn't mind signing Bickell, Stalberg, and Cracknell. (Adds size, grit, and some offense to our lineup... Most important, it makes us harder to play against) 

I know Bickell is having a breakout season (half) and a solid playoff run, which will obviously make him an overpayed UFA come July 5th, but he still brings size, physicality, and should be good for 15goals - 15assits + intangibles. 

Stalberg also brings size, skill, and much needed depth to our RW position. 

I also wouldn't mind selling off Tanguay and Cammy for picks/prospects before the season. With a thin UFA market, I think there will be a market for both players. 

FORWARDS
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($2.250m) / Victor Stalberg ($3.250m) 
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m) 
Bryan  Bickell ($4.000m) / Max Reinhart ($0.878m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) 
Adam Cracknell ($1.000m) / Lance Bouma ($0.578m) / Brian McGrattan ($3.250m) 
Tim Jackman ($0.613m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m) 
T.J. Brodie ($2.250m) / Mark Cundari ($0.605m) 
Christopher Breen ($0.650m) / Chris Butler ($2.000m) 
GOALTENDERS
Joey MacDonald ($0.925m) 
Kari Ramo ($2.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $48,243,750; BONUSES: $816,250

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $16,872,500

6 Bobby Sanguinetti CAR D 37 50 40 16 12 12 0 1 1 0.0 0.0 48 2

7 Mark Fistric EDM D 25 88 53 14 14 6 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 9 0 0.0 2 Grant Clitsome WPG D 44 82 54 23 27 8 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 56 4 7.1 1 TJ Brodie CGY D 47 24 74 25 36 25 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 44 2 4.5 2 Mark Giordano CGY D 47 65 93 34 31 34 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 58 4 6.9 3 Dennis Wideman CGY D 46 40 100 51 37 16 0 1 1 0.0 0.0 94 6 6.4 4 Chris Butler CGY D 44 53 74 13 21 8 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 40 1 2.5

Fistric may play a more physical game but we need more than than that and both Clitsome and Sanguinetti play more physical games than all our D. Clitsome averaged  almost 19 min per game (ended the year playing over 20) while Fistrc and Sanguinetti (only 25 years old) around 14 min. 

We need help filling the Min JBo used to log and Clitsome would fit that bill as well as add the physicality that we need. Fistric not even close.

If the goal is to change the team up significantly would you not think some effort will go into moving a number of players out. I could see all of Cammalleri, Tanguay, Stajan, Butler, Sarich, Jackman and Stempniak all being dealt. If Feaster and owners want to see the team get "more" competitive for a playoff spot they will need a number of FAs off your list. hard to say where FA salaries and contract will go given the restrictions. I see 4 or 5 players on that list I wouldn't mind the Flames picking up.

He's really inconsistant and more often than not won't play to his talent level so he is a frusturating player in that regard. he should be a solid top 6 forward but he doesn't play like it near enough, his compete level varies.

I'm not huge on FA this year I don't think there are many options and as has been said the only real need for the Flames is a top 4 d. They Flames do need to get a bit bigger and tougher but they would need to clear bodies out first and make room.

These are the only players in FA I have an interest for the Flames but none i'm super excited about. alot of these guys I expect to get overpaid so I would lose interest quickly.

Nathan Horton RW

David Clarkson RW

Ryan OBryne

Raffi Torres

Tyler Bozak

Eric Nystrom

Boyd Gordon

Grant Clitsome

Brad Richardson

David Steckel

Maxim Lapierre

Victor Stalberg

Kyle chipchura

Bryan Bickell

I wouldn't mind signing Bickell, Stalberg, and Cracknell. (Adds size, grit, and some offense to our lineup... Most important, it makes us harder to play against) 

I know Bickell is having a breakout season (half) and a solid playoff run, which will obviously make him an overpayed UFA come July 5th, but he still brings size, physicality, and should be good for 15goals - 15assits + intangibles. 

Stalberg also brings size, skill, and much needed depth to our RW position. 

I also wouldn't mind selling off Tanguay and Cammy for picks/prospects before the season. With a thin UFA market, I think there will be a market for both players. 

FORWARDS

Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($2.250m) / Victor Stalberg ($3.250m) 

Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m) 

Bryan  Bickell ($4.000m) / Max Reinhart ($0.878m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) 

Adam Cracknell ($1.000m) / Lance Bouma ($0.578m) / Brian McGrattan ($3.250m) 

Tim Jackman ($0.613m) 

DEFENSEMEN

Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m) 

T.J. Brodie ($2.250m) / Mark Cundari ($0.605m) 

Christopher Breen ($0.650m) / Chris Butler ($2.000m) 

GOALTENDERS

Joey MacDonald ($0.925m) 

Kari Ramo ($2.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $48,243,750; BONUSES: $816,250

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $16,872,500

Word from Chicago fans is they will sign one of Bickell or Stalberg.

I'm not a Stalberg fan, as he never seems to be the same player twice.

That lineup is terrible, no capable C's, no NHL depth, ugggh.

I severely struggle with our bottom 6.

No faith, even if Stempniak jumps over Hudler.

Need real centers to make anything work at this point.

Whether it's role C's or high end C's, we need C's.

We need to turn it around via center's. If it doesn't work out, they typically have some trade value I don't wanna plug wingers until we have centers capable of helping wingers attain their true value. It seems like a lost cause with the current roster. Adding wingers without improving the C position is chasing your tail, imho.

Fistric may play a more physical game but we need more than than that and both Clitsome and Sanguinetti play more physical games than all our D. Clitsome averaged almost 19 min per game (ended the year playing over 20) while Fistrc and Sanguinetti (only 25 years old) around 14 min.

We need help filling the Min JBo used to log and Clitsome would fit that bill as well as add the physicality that we need. Fistric not even close.

Sanguinetti has never been known as a physical defenseman.

Clitsome had a career high this year in hits at 82, I will give you that, that would have lead Calgary's defense in hits.

That being said at 5'11" he still isn't much of physical presence.

Calgary lacks size and any kind of physical presence needed to push back against teams like San Jose, L.A. and Anaheim.

Now as far as him being an Oilers cast off, who cares.

I am no Oilers fan, far from it, but the Oilers defense core isn't as bad as they are made out to be. Calgary could use a player or two like a Jeff Petry or a Ladislav Smid, but those types of players aren't available on the open market too often and certainly aren't available this year.

The C position in the top 4 playoff teams are:

LA: Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Stoll

BOS: Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley

PIT: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Kennedy

CHI: Toews, Bolland, Kruger, Handzus

Chicago lacks depth but has Toews.  The rest of the teams are full of stars and depth.  Lets face it, this team wasn't good with Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Kipper and we are going to be hard pressed to even replace them. 

To have any chance Calgary will have to take advantage of their system, free agency, and trade to be successful.  They will also need to find success from players like Ramo and Backlund.  

If they can bring on players like Horton, Schenn, Stastny, Bozak, etc without giving up to much of the future then perhaps we have a chance.  But even if we pull that off we are going to be a B level team at best.  I really hope we don't over commit to bad contracts or give up our future for NHL ready assets so that we can put together a B team.    

Cammalleri-Stastny-Horton

Glencross-Bozak-Hudler

Baertschi-Backlund-Stempniak

Begin-Bouma-Jackman

Giordano-Schenn

Brodie-Wideman

Breen-Butler

Ramo

MacDonald

One thing this roster definitely needs, is competition.

Build the backend guys to help bolster the front end guys and give them a better chance to play their game, rather than constantly adjust your lines.

If your lines are not consistent, your play is not consistent.

That should be obvious to us. We don't have the players we need throughout the lineup.

Build your team from the goalie out, etc etc, that includes relevant 3rd and 4th lines, and 5-7 dmen.

NHL players, not so-so ones with maybe ifs.

Yelle was the 4C during the '04 run.

Just sayin'.

Who is this future you speak of ? our prospect talent is not that good and in today's world you are lucky if  2 or 3 make it onto the team. Baertschi is our top prospect and we don't even know what he has yet. We need a good draft, pick up a few key FAs and have Feaster make a few good trades. What we have when the smoke clears is anyones guess, which you are clearly doing here.

Chicago lacks depth but has Toews.  The rest of the teams are full of stars and depth.  Lets face it, this team wasn't good with Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Kipper and we are going to be hard pressed to even replace them. 

To have any chance Calgary will have to take advantage of their system, free agency, and trade to be successful.  They will also need to find success from players like Ramo and Backlund.  

If they can bring on players like Horton, Schenn, Stastny, Bozak, etc without giving up to much of the future then perhaps we have a chance.  But even if we pull that off we are going to be a B level team at best.  I really hope we don't over commit to bad contracts or give up our future for NHL ready assets so that we can put together a B team.    

Glencross-Bozak-Hudler

Begin-Bouma-Jackman

Giordano-Schenn

Brodie-Wideman

Breen-Butler

Ramo

MacDonald

Glencross-Bozak-Hudler

Begin-Bouma-Jackman

Giordano-Schenn

Brodie-Wideman

Breen-Butler

Ramo

MacDonald

So is this supposed to be a best possible scenario? Because if history tells us anything it's that there is no way in hell we are going to land all those players..... Especially without giving up all we have for picks and prospects and even then it looks like a pipe dream.

And in all actuality all of the above mentioned teams have at least 6 centers in there line up, Pittsburg is the only exception with 5. Obviously not all of them play down the middle but it certainly helps with draws and defensive play when you have so many natural C's on the ice.

Archived