Western Conference Playoff Thread 2013

DL44

7 members have voted

1. 1. Most likely team to pull the upset

• The Wild
    • The Wings
    • The Sharks
    • The Kings

I agree that Torres deserved a suspension for the hit, and as I have said in a number of posts, I am not a fan of Torres...

But I do not like that the term of the suspension was worded as being suspended for the series...   It is too ambiguous...

It could be 2 games, or up to 5...   They should have picked a number and stuck with it...

The range is 3-6.  

I think it's ok.... In the playoffs there are no paychecks, so the number of actual gms loses the $ portion of the punishment and becomes strictly a team punishment...  so losing the guy for a series is actually a pretty absolute punishment.

The spectrum of punishment in the playoffs imo should simply be:

1 gm, 2 gms, gone for the series, +...

A 'gone for the playoffs' type infraction could be left as 'indefinitely' to see how many games he actually loses... if 4 - add gms for the following season... loses 15 - probably reinstated for the start of the season. 

If i remember correctly, wasn't Matt Cooke a couple yrs ago suspended just before the playoffs and it was something like - for the next 5 reg season games + 1st round of the playoffs - type punishment?

So not completely unprecedented.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The range is 3-6.  

I think it's ok.... In the playoffs there are no paychecks, so the number of actual gms loses the $ portion of the punishment and becomes strictly a team punishment...  so losing the guy for a series is actually a pretty absolute punishment.

The spectrum of punishment in the playoffs imo should simply be:

1 gm, 2 gms, gone for the series, +...

A 'gone for the playoffs' type infraction could be left as 'indefinitely' to see how many games he actually loses... if 4 - add gms for the following season... loses 15 - probably reinstated for the start of the season. 

If i remember correctly, wasn't Matt Cooke a couple yrs ago suspended just before the playoffs and it was something like - for the next 5 reg season games + 1st round of the playoffs - type punishment?

So not completely unprecedented.

It was 2011 & was the final 10 games & round 1 for an elbow to the head of Ryan McDonagh. Even Ray Shero claimed to support it.

He's apparently succeeded in turning his game around to the degree the Karlsson incident wasn't seen as a problem. :huh:

I'm really enjoying the Western Div playoffs....

Chi-Det... is awesome.  Zetterberg has snuffed Toews out so far... but maybe a matter of time before he breaks out.

Lots of skating and scoring chances both ways... great series to watch... too bad i only get to catch the last period, maybe a little more if lucky...

The LA-SJ series has had awesome finishes!  Every game could of gone either way... and the Sharks keep clawing.  LA's best players haven't been... outside of Quick.

I don't know which was the worse call...

- Ref blowing the play dead while the puck was lose for Penner to tap in... or

- Ref waiving off the Shaw goal for being in the crease that would of tied the game...

Both potential game changers. Yet to be determined the effect on the series... 

The running the goalie call on Lewis was legit... had nooo problem with that being called.  Zero attempt to stop... 

It just feels like it should be a Thornton-Iginla final... just seems like the right thing for the hockey gods to do... 

I'm really enjoying the Western Div playoffs....

Chi-Det... is awesome.  Zetterberg has snuffed Toews out so far... but maybe a matter of time before he breaks out.

Lots of skating and scoring chances both ways... great series to watch... too bad i only get to catch the last period, maybe a little more if lucky...

Just returned from game 4, wow.

Toews is a mess, frustration all over the ice. Hossa skates around and rarely touches the puck.

Chicago just looked....frustrated.

Interesting to note, Babcock is bouncing up and down the bench, talking to EVERYONE, Quennville is stoic.

Players are talking back to Babcock, they're putting it together, together.

Howard was getting full volume chants right from introduction, the crowd is definitely the 6th player, tremendous support.

Datsyuk is simply Datsyukian. I am so happy I've seen him live a few times now. Smartest player I've seen, ever. The puck control, the alternative seams he rips passes through, ALWAYS the smart play. Through the Ducks games I saw and tonight, he IS the best player on the ice at all times. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, Kindl is terrible at playing D. Howard's monster saves are typically Kindl-related.

I never thought they'd beat Anaheim, and can't believe where they're at with Chicago, but hey, I'm in.

Awesome crowd, awesome how every game is an 'event'.

Chicago's PP is really struggling to gain the zone as Detroit stands 4 at the blueline, then to get a shot through the bodies, then to solve Howard.

All in all, the teams are evenly matched, but Detroit's depth is more effective than Chicago's has been, and not even Bolland can bother Datsyuk from being thee guy in all situations. Howard out-tends Crawford, and that's where it's at for me.

I simply can't get my head around Detroit possibly playing in the WCF, they'll get killed by LA OR SJ....but maybe not...

Kings are in but neither of Chicago nor Detroit are going to be a pushover. I'm not sure which 1 I'd prefer LA to face.

Rather then flip a coin I looked @ the broadcast times for both scenarios :) so I'll root for the Wings. That way I can @ least get to bed @ a resonable hour.

Was hoping Regehr would come back to the Flames as a FA actually... Not sure who will win this one. If the Hawks actually show up they will knock out the Kings in 5. Doubt they show up though.

I don't know about that.  I think Detroit gave them a bit of a wake-up call (in spite of Toeves' hissy-fit).  I'm taking Hawks in 6 for this series, but it's gonna be a barn-burner.

I don't know about that.  I think Detroit gave them a bit of a wake-up call (in spite of Toeves' hissy-fit).  I'm taking Hawks in 6 for this series, but it's gonna be a barn-burner.

Im not sold on the Hawks after their playoff performace so far. They looked very beatable against the Wings and I think it was more the Wings tried to lose the series than the Hawks playing better.

Book it! - PIT vs LAK SCF

That way one of our ex-Flame faves hoists the Holy Grail........

Personally no preference between Iggy or Reggie getting it :)

I wonder if there are a few people around here that want PIT to lose the Conference Final so we pick 27th/28th instead of 29th/30th   :lol:

Apparently Chicago isn't San Jose, and Detroit was better than I thought.

Chicago's D coverage seems to have confounded LA on this night. No room for Kopitar to move and a frustrated Richards. Doughty was allowed to rush and end at the boards all night.

LA has to come up with something after this little outing. Chicago had several good players tonight, especially on D.

Can't say enough about Hjalmarsson as a Dman.

LA has scoring problems, this game was definitely a shot across their bow that narrowly beating San Jose isn't enough.

Chicago has finishers.

Anyone else think the west is all that matters? I can't help but think no east team is going to beat LA OR Chicago.

Amazing what good teams turn into when they're on the brink of elimination....

I'm sure not writing off LA, but holy-jesus-on-a-bicycle, Sutter has to solve gaining the Hawks zone, their D is going full throttle.

How about Hjalmarsson getting on that 3-on-1, wow.

Crawford isn't getting tested much.

LA should be a little nervous right about now, this isn't how ST. Louis went up 2-0.

I'm sure they'll respond at home??

Archived