Western Conference Playoff Thread 2013

DL44

7 members have voted

1. 1. Most likely team to pull the upset

• The Wild
    • The Wings
    • The Sharks
    • The Kings

Seeing a lot of hawks fans thanking Babcock and the Wings for whipping them into shape and scaring the crap out of them.

Testament to their fanbase. What a contrast seeing Hawks fans in Detroit vs Canucks fans in Calgary/Edmonton.

Biggest rivalry going (ending), yet the amount of respect for each other is amazing to see.

I can't believe how good Detroit was, now that I'm seeing the Kings try to muster SOMETHING against the Hawks.

Sutter better watch some tape. He's looking a little nervous.

Neither Chicago or Detroit attempted to sit on leads, that's great playoff hockey right there.

Chicago sat a little at 4-0, but they sure didn't rest on laurels up to being up by 4.

The 1st game was 2-1, but Chicago never stopped taking risks for the 3rd goal. That's what I saw with Detroit. Detroit up by one, never stopped taking risks. Won 3-0. Chicago learned well.

Sutter's got a lot of figuring to do, they aren't going to dictate play with the Hawks like last year's juggernaut did on everyone.

Completely different animal with skill to match throughout the lineup.

St. Louis tried to match LA in D and intensity, Chicago's on a different program and LA might want to adjust for them, or this things going down fast.

Intimidated Quick well enough, could spell disaster for LA, who didn't deserve to beat the Sharks.

Chicago's rolling after having the knife to their throat. LA's walking with a limp, with every, "we haven't lost at home yet" quivering statement I hear.

I think they're about to, they've met their match. No room for Kopitar, Brown trying to be physical to no avail with Chitown's dmen, and Richard's being equalled in nuisance. Which is why Carter's been their best forward imho.

Last line change is all it hinges on now. Chicago's playing solid up and down.

I really don't see it, minus Crawford being terrible.

Chicago is in "answer the bell" mode, LA hasn't really found it.

Or Chicago's just much better at it.

Either way...I'll be shocked if LA takes 2 at home. I think they're in the process of having their posteriors handed to them.

As are the Pens or Bruins.

The Hawks are playing their best hockey possible right now. The remaining 3 better realize Chicago's in dominant mode, and in fully healthy roster nailing it.

All because the Wings forced them to pay attention or go home if they don't got it in them.

Apparently, they've got it in them, to a man.

Time to speak out on LA after those 2. They were dominated by the better team play. How do you rebound from a team that imposes their will on you? Sutter has to adjust, huge.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing a lot of hawks fans thanking Babcock and the Wings for whipping them into shape and scaring the crap out of them.

Testament to their fanbase. What a contrast seeing Hawks fans in Detroit vs Canucks fans in Calgary/Edmonton.

Biggest rivalry going (ending), yet the amount of respect for each other is amazing to see.

:)

0817683fde9eecb61fd7fa10d7b40503.png

Heavily hoping the Kings show up tonight!

Their game from Sunday & the PIT-BOS tilt from last night left me wanting a well-fought competitive match.

It's only fun & games when your hardcore favorite team smokes the opposition; as for the rest :rolleyes:

Keith got a one game suspension...

I was expecting a fine.

It caused 20+ stitches & some dental work but in fairness it was heat of the moment. Retaliation yes & Keith didn't try to control where his stick hit but I can't honestly say I would have acted different.

Bear in mind that Carter is 1 of the ex-Flyers I was so POed that Homer traded.

I've seen a lot of dirty intentional stickwork but don't see that as qualifying for that.

Cripes, I'm defending a Hawk when I want the Kings to win. No Duncan Keith is good for LA.

Yet I call them the way I see them. IMO that was less a suspendable infraction then some of the cheap crap we see in almost every game.

I was expecting a fine.

It caused 20+ stitches & some dental work but in fairness it was heat of the moment. Retaliation yes & Keith didn't try to control where his stick hit but I can't honestly say I would have acted different.

Bear in mind that Carter is 1 of the ex-Flyers I was so POed that Homer traded.

I've seen a lot of dirty intentional stickwork but don't see that as qualifying for that.

Cripes, I'm defending a Hawk when I want the Kings to win. No Duncan Keith is good for LA.

Yet I call them the way I see them. IMO that was less a suspendable infraction then some of the cheap crap we see in almost every game.

Heat of the moment or not, you cannot swing your stick at someones face.

Jeff Carter is 6"3 and that stick hit him directly into the face. Im not sure how that wasnt classified as intentonal ? 

This also isnt the first time Kieth has done something dirty so im finally happy that the league has stuck to there guns and handed out a suspension. If that swing caused a cracked tooth and 2 chipped teeth + 21 stitches, imagine if that hit him in the eye ?

Heat of the moment or not, you cannot swing your stick at someones face.

Jeff Carter is 6"3 and that stick hit him directly into the face. Im not sure how that wasnt classified as intentonal ? 

This also isnt the first time Kieth has done something dirty so im finally happy that the league has stuck to there guns and handed out a suspension. If that swing caused a cracked tooth and 2 chipped teeth + 21 stitches, imagine if that hit him in the eye ?

Care to comment on Carter's slash at Keith's hand that caused the reaction?

Care to comment on Carter's slash at Keith's hand that caused the reaction?

comparing a slash to the hand to a stick across the face ? 

Justifying a dangerous retaliation to a play that could have been a penalty sounds very similar to what most Canuck fans were trying to do with Bertuzzi/Moore..... 

comparing a slash to the hand to a stick across the face ? 

Justifying a dangerous retaliation to a play that could have been a penalty sounds very similar to what most Canuck fans were trying to do with Bertuzzi/Moore..... 

Watch the puck breaking out, Carter's hacking Keith prior to the glove. It was the ref's that let it get to where it got, don't you think?

I'm hardly justifying anything, but how about some perspective?

It wasn't one slash, Carter was taking an axe to him, constantly.

You run out of options when the ref let's it happen.

If I were Keith, it's like "hey man, sorry. But don't try to chop my arm off there, black knight".

Not defending Keith, but I won't argue Carter kind of earned it.

Watch the puck breaking out, Carter's hacking Keith prior to the glove. It was the ref's that let it get to where it got, don't you think?

If I were Keith, it's like "hey man, sorry. But don't try to chop my arm off there, black knight".

Click the link for a good clip that shows the point you were making here...   It also has a close up of when Carter takes the whack when Keith went to pick up his glove...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=257057&cmpid=embed-share-video

And i dont argue that Carter could have recieved a penalty on the play..... The reffing has been atrocious all playoffs long. First it was just canuck fans whinning about it but now alot of teams/fans/players have been vocal on how horrible its been. Regardless of what the ref let go, a stick to the face is never the solution and if Shanny wouldnt have given him something then its open season for players to avenge themselves for what the ref missed. Why didnt Kieth just take a number ? or return a slash on the wrist ?

I get that hockey is an emotional game and players will act out but anytime a player uses the stick as a weapon on the head/face area, it needs to be disciplined. There is no room for that in the game......

Why didnt Kieth just take a number ? or return a slash on the wrist ?

It looked like one of those "would you &%*& $## swings".

The regret was immediate. Good on Carter for getting him there, ramped up emotions.

I'm ludicrous to defend it, but it's 2 good players at it in an intense game. Too bad it ended in a "whoops" and that Keith's stick has some history with "oops"!

I am not a Hawks fan, but even if earlier in the play, Carter's forearm to Keith's face, the clutching/holding that pulled the glove off and the slash are ignored, the no look "whoops I am coincidentally going to whack my stick down while you are trying to pick up your glove" could and should have been called...   Even for unsportsmanlike conduct...

The slash that close to a bear hand could have easily caused a season ending injury to Keith as well, so that limits my sympathy for Carter...   He was poking the bear, and he knew it...

I am not a Hawks fan, but even if earlier in the play, Carter's forearm to Keith's face, the clutching/holding that pulled the glove off and the slash are ignored, the no look "whoops I am coincidentally going to whack my stick down while you are trying to pick up your glove" could and should have been called...   Even for unsportsmanlike conduct...

The slash that close to a bear hand could have easily caused a season ending injury to Keith as well, so that limits my sympathy for Carter...   He was poking the bear, and he knew it...

Not too worried about it. Feel like scoreboard will be hawks eventually, regardless.

I have no idea why I'm supporting Keith as I'm backing LA but I'm not faulting him.

I'm still POed that Homer traded Carts so should be in his corner. IMO he did know what he was doing when he swatted @ Keith's glove & was probably prepared to risk retribution but not Keith's action. I see no intent in that action but Keith should have kept better control of his stick.

To me the double minor was enough but to keep things under control would have added a major to keep Keith off the ice for the game rather then risk retaliation from the Kings. In this case a fine would have sufficed if Shanny wanted to send a message.

Archived