s4xon

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/06/17/rumors-i-senators-sharks-and-flyers/

Looks like Calgary has checked to see the availability of Robin Lehner. The current asking price is a bit much, but if we can get him for a pick I would prefer going with him over Ramo. I think Lehner has a lot of upside.

I would be shocked if EDM isn't all over obtaining Lehner. Call me crazy but from what I witnessed Ramo has all kinds of upside for us, just let him play.

• Like 1

Looks like Calgary has checked to see the availability of Robin Lehner. The current asking price is a bit much, but if we can get him for a pick I would prefer going with him over Ramo. I think Lehner has a lot of upside.

I wonder if the fact raymond played top 6 minutes in vancouver and toronto could interest ottawa. If we packaged him and our 2nd would that be enough? I mean he had a rough season with us but I think his game is better suited for the eastern conference.

Agreed.  He would be worth a second rounder.  I think he has much more long term upside then Ramo.  That said, some of the rumors suggest that the Flames could go forward with Ortio and Lehner.  That is a bit scary.  

Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) tweeted at 9:03 AM on Thu, Jun 18, 2015:

Cam Talbot is a hot commodity. Edmtn, Cgy, SJ, Dallas + Florida have expressed interest. Multiple trade offers. First 3 most likely targets.

It seems like we are in on every goalie on the market, I am thinking Ramo won't be back next year.

I think a second is a bit rich for me. I'm not sure I see a legit starter in Lehner and rather he looks like more of a stop gap so for me given that fact and the depth of the draft I'd rather not trade a 2nd.

The Flames have enough depth up front, potential log jam even, that I think makes it easy to look at trading a roster player plus a mid round pick. Maybe Jooris and a 3rd or Drew Shore and a 4th is something I would prefer over a straight second.

If Ramo prices himself out of the Flames range and option I would look at is Michael Neuvirth. I think by now the idea of Neuvirth being a starter in the NHL is done but I think he's still an option to be part of a rotation. I can't see him being overly expensive either so maybe you can get him on a shorter team deal to provide some depth and another option in net. Obviously Ramo would be my priority but that depends on contract.

Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) tweeted at 9:12 AM on Thu, Jun 18, 2015:

Murray confirms they are trying to add a forward - like Greening or Legwand - to a goalie deal so they could move some salary.

Does taking on Legwand to get Lehner for cheaper make sense. Legwand has one more year at $3mill. I have been a fan of Lehner for awhile, at 23 I think he has tremendous upside and can be a star in this league. I like Lehner way more than Talbot, and I heard that Edmonton had offered the 16th pick in the draft for Talbot, so I would be out of the bidding at that point.

I mentioned somewhere else the potential of taking Legwand from the Sens to try and get a better deal on a different player so if it means the Flames take Lehner and Legwand and lower the price I'm all for it. The Flames could easily eat 1 year at 3.5 on Legwand even if they have to sit him up the press box most of the time.

I too prefer Lehner over Talbot and personally I don't see the huge value in Talbot. I think Talbot is the new Lindback, a backup goalie on one of the top defensive teams in the league that people assume will only get better as a starter and I'm not so sure. I would go after Lehner too but your right if the Oilers are indeed offering their first rounder and that's where the goalie market is I'm out. I'd much rather keep HIller/Orito or sign someone like Neuvirth than spend a first round pick on a goalie. I don't even want to move one of our seconds for a goalie.

If I had my way, we'd stand pat with our goalies.  I don't think Ramo's going to sign with us, but I'd really like to see Ortio spend one more season in the AHL.

The Rangers don't pick until 60th, so you know they're looking for picks.  If the Oilers are really offering their 16th OA in exchange for Cam Talbot, I'd like the Flames to step aside and let the Oilers make yet another grave tactical error.

Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) tweeted at 9:03 AM on Thu, Jun 18, 2015:

Cam Talbot is a hot commodity. Edmtn, Cgy, SJ, Dallas + Florida have expressed interest. Multiple trade offers. First 3 most likely targets.

It seems like we are in on every goalie on the market, I am thinking Ramo won't be back next year.

Im actually thinking its Hiller as odd man out . I believe ramo signs for no more than 3-3.5,   any of these Goaltenders will end up costing more and Treliving is already on record as saying hes conscious of the cost to resign our players. Under this scenario Hiller becomes a very expensive future backup . the domino will become what it costs to re-sign ramo , beause next season you have to be aware of Hiller becoming UFA.. no guarantee we have a new #1 in place.. just based on hartleys trust , its easy to tell hes more comfortable running Ramo as 31 if has to .

to trade for Talbot it would be easy to send Hiller the other way , hes a one year contract and gives the team a quality backup in case they dont have the depth to ride their current 3rd stringer for a stretch

Im actually thinking its Hiller as odd man out . I believe ramo signs for no more than 3-3.5,   any of these Goaltenders will end up costing more and Treliving is already on record as saying hes conscious of the cost to resign our players. Under this scenario Hiller becomes a very expensive future backup . the domino will become what it costs to re-sign ramo , beause next season you have to be aware of Hiller becoming UFA.. no guarantee we have a new #1 in place.. just based on hartleys trust , its easy to tell hes more comfortable running Ramo as 31 if has to .

to trade for Talbot it would be easy to send Hiller the other way , hes a one year contract and gives the team a quality backup in case they dont have the depth to ride their current 3rd stringer for a stretch

I would be shocked if Ramo got that big of contract this offseason, and I know I might be in the minority on this but I don't think he has earned that much money.

The Rangers don't have the cap space to take on Hiller's contract so I don't see the fit there.

There are a lot goalies on the market this offseason, guys like Talbot and Lehner, but I can see Vacouver moving Markstrom or Lack, L.A. might move Jones. There was a big thing in Toronto where Bernier's wife posted a picture of their 10 month old, and the child wasn't wearing a Maple Leafs shirt when all the other milestone pictures their child was wearing a Maple Leafs shirt. So he might be available. I see all these guys as better options than either Hiller or Ramo so I am not sure there is much of a market for either of them.

I wouldn't be at all shocked when it is all said and done that Ramo is playing over seas next season.

I would be shocked if Ramo got that big of contract this offseason, and I know I might be in the minority on this but I don't think he has earned that much money.

The Rangers don't have the cap space to take on Hiller's contract so I don't see the fit there.

There are a lot goalies on the market this offseason, guys like Talbot and Lehner, but I can see Vacouver moving Markstrom or Lack, L.A. might move Jones. There was a big thing in Toronto where Bernier's wife posted a picture of their 10 month old, and the child wasn't wearing a Maple Leafs shirt when all the other milestone pictures their child was wearing a Maple Leafs shirt. So he might be available. I see all these guys as better options than either Hiller or Ramo so I am not sure there is much of a market for either of them.

I wouldn't be at all shocked when it is all said and done that Ramo is playing over seas next season.

Benning in Vancovuer has already come out and said they are trading a goalie and Miller isn't one of them so one of Lack or Markstrom is on the move. Leafs filled for arbitration on Bernier and Duhatschek said today he's heard Reimer is available and they are shopping him.

Its a saturated goalie market but in regards to Ramo I think he will have more interst then you think especially is you believe th price tag. If its true that the Oilers have offered a first for Talbot and the Sens want a top 6 and a pick for Lehner I think Ramos value goes up because all he costs is salary. I could easily see teams look there first if these prices don't come up because at those prices you better be darn sure you are acquiring a future star. Only way I see Ramo overseas if the KHL comes calling again and is willing to pay top dollar to get him back because I still think he will generate interest in the 3 or so mill  year range. Tehre are enough teams that need goalies, maybe not to start but need options at the goalie spot to keep Ramo employed.

We keep getting linked to Cam Talbot, which is very scary to me. Talbot reminds me if Chad Johnson who had a very good numbers while playing on very strong defensive team in Boston but since moving from there has been very averge. I can see the same thing happening with Talbot.

An interesting name that I saw us linked to is Devan Dubnyk, which is alao kind of scary because he wants to get paid for one good season. I wouldn't give him the $5-6 mill on a multi year deal that he is looking for. Maybe $3-4mill on a 2-3 year deal.

I think a second is a bit rich for me. I'm not sure I see a legit starter in Lehner and rather he looks like more of a stop gap so for me given that fact and the depth of the draft I'd rather not trade a 2nd.

The Flames have enough depth up front, potential log jam even, that I think makes it easy to look at trading a roster player plus a mid round pick. Maybe Jooris and a 3rd or Drew Shore and a 4th is something I would prefer over a straight second.

If Ramo prices himself out of the Flames range and option I would look at is Michael Neuvirth. I think by now the idea of Neuvirth being a starter in the NHL is done but I think he's still an option to be part of a rotation. I can't see him being overly expensive either so maybe you can get him on a shorter team deal to provide some depth and another option in net. Obviously Ramo would be my priority but that depends on contract.

I pose this question, does Ramo have to be paid as a back up, why not pay him with a starters contract and income ? As a team we are already paying certain players above what we should be because the cap room is there. Is Ramo the guy we want to goforward with for 2015/16 and beyond ? Hiller has 1 year left.

I pose this question, does Ramo have to be paid as a back up, why not pay him with a starters contract and income ? As a team we are already paying certain players above what we should be because the cap room is there. Is Ramo the guy we want to goforward with for 2015/16 and beyond ? Hiller has 1 year left.

Honestly the best place for Ramo is probably Arizona. Go work with Sean Burke, smooth out his game. The talent and ability he just needs to refine his game.

I don't see long term upside in Hiller our Ramo. Treliving had said many times he is looking at the long term, not the short term.

Talbot, Lehner, Dubnyk, etc all have long term upside while having enough experience that starting next season with one of them plus Ortio isn't irresponsible. It isn't as safe as keeping Ramo or Hiller, but the risk could pay off long term (and even short term).

It is easy to find down side in these options because it is a risk. Plus we grew attached to the Ramo/Hiller combo last season. But for a rebuilding team it actually makes a lot of sense.

Never a good idea to pay a guy more then you think he is worth just because you have the cap room. Flames are going to be much shorter on cap room next offseason when Giordano, Gaudrea and Monahan all get new deals so you have to be very careful right now with who you commit money to. Flames need to set a price on Ramo they feel is fair and of he agrees great and it not let him go see if he can get it elsewhere. I'd like to have Ramo but only at a certain price which to me is 3.5 or less on a 3 year deal or less.

Never a good idea to pay a guy more then you think he is worth just because you have the cap room. Flames are going to be much shorter on cap room next offseason when Giordano, Gaudrea and Monahan all get new deals so you have to be very careful right now with who you commit money to. Flames need to set a price on Ramo they feel is fair and of he agrees great and it not let him go see if he can get it elsewhere. I'd like to have Ramo but only at a certain price which to me is 3.5 or less on a 3 year deal or less.

I agree with where you are starting and my point was it would only be 1 year overlap if they kept Hiller as well.

BT and Ramo's agent are negotiating.  That leads me to believe they don't have faith in Ortio or Hiller.  Ramo won't get more than 3.5 in FA, as his body of work isn't enough to warrant any more.  If Dubie gets a deal soon, there will more of a comparable (not that they are in the same league).

BT and Ramo's agent are negotiating.  That leads me to believe they don't have faith in Ortio or Hiller.  Ramo won't get more than 3.5 in FA, as his body of work isn't enough to warrant any more.  If Dubie gets a deal soon, there will more of a comparable (not that they are in the same league).

That's good news if true.  A two year deal would be ideal.

I've always felt that Ramo is heading to July 1 regardless of what the Flames offer, unless they overpay and I would expect the Flames and Ramo to be negotiating. I don't think its a case at all of not having faith in Ortio or Hiller I think its simple asset management. Hiller has a 1 year deal and if they don't re sign Ramo then next off season your are left with Ortio and maybe Gilles as your under contrat goalie options? not a good place to be in.

Regardless of negotiations I expect Ramo to hit free agency just because I think he wants to see if there are teams out there that view him as a starter and will give him that chance. I think the Flames will make their best offer, let him go to July 1 and then see if he comes back. That's why I think they are checking in on available goalies.

Gilles and MacDonald are a long ways off and I don't think the Flames know what Ortio is yet.  They want an NHL ready goalie that is an option long term.  Hiller isn't it.  Ramo might be, but that depends on how much upside they see in him and what kind of contract he is willing to sign.  I think that is why you are hearing about interest in Talbot, Lehner, etc.  

I think the Flames are simply keeping their options open.  Extend Ramo.  Sign Dubnyk.  Trade for Lehner or Talbot.  Etc.  Any of those guys can give you 50+ games while they learn what they have with Ortio in the NHL and evaluate Gilles in the AHL.  

Gilles and MacDonald are a long ways off and I don't think the Flames know what Ortio is yet.  They want an NHL ready goalie that is an option long term.  Hiller isn't it.  Ramo might be, but that depends on how much upside they see in him and what kind of contract he is willing to sign.  I think that is why you are hearing about interest in Talbot, Lehner, etc.  

I think the Flames are simply keeping their options open.  Extend Ramo.  Sign Dubnyk.  Trade for Lehner or Talbot.  Etc.  Any of those guys can give you 50+ games while they learn what they have with Ortio in the NHL and evaluate Gilles in the AHL.  

The general feeling seems to be that Hiller is being shopped.  Yes Talbot could have way more upside than Ramo, but the body of work isn't there to back up the numbers yet.  Ramo is a safer bet in the mid-term, as we don't know if Ortio will ever be a starter, and we don't know how long Gillies will ripen in the AHL.  Being tied to Hiller for one year is not a safe bet longer term.  He may also have asked to be traded due to his usage in the playoffs.

I don't see Dubie as a realistic alternative (even if it would make the Oiler fans cry), as he inflated his value with a stellar season with a good defensive team.  The other guys may be valid options, but Ottawa always wants the sun and the moon for their "stars".

Personally I would like for the Flames to trade Hiller and throw something like a 1 year 5mil contract to Ramo. If he does well then you give him a multi year deal for starters money. If he cant handle the load you still have Ortio to take some games and can figure out long term goaltending next offseason. 

Personally I would like for the Flames to trade Hiller and throw something like a 1 year 5mil contract to Ramo. If he does well then you give him a multi year deal for starters money. If he cant handle the load you still have Ortio to take some games and can figure out long term goaltending next offseason. 

Hiller carried the majority of the load & had the better #s. Why pay his backup more on a "show me" contract? Especially in a year when there are more 'tenders on the market than there is demand? We'd get little for Hiller & if Ramo checks the UFA market he'd be lucky to get 1/2 that 5 million given his lack of resume.

& $5 million per is starters money for most in the league.