s4xon

Thanks JTech, 

Here's where I get confused, if you could help:

My understanding is that all Europeans are draft elligible, at all ages.   (all Non-North Americans)

So, how do we swing things like get Roman Cervenka?

And, not that Cervenka is the world's greatest example, but why can't that apply elsewhere?

JJ, let me answer your question with a quote from a FN article from 2012....

With a December birthday, Cervenka was draft eligible in the summer of 2004. At that point he had one professional season in the Czech "elite" league, playing 15 games and notching 1 assist. His 8 playoff games were hardly spectacular either, but at this point Cervenka was a 17 year old kid who was drastically undersized. In fact, as noted by Robin Brownlee yesterday after the signing, Cervenka was just 127 pounds in his draft season. It's therefore not surprising Cervenka went undrafted, and his next couple seasons in the Czech league were fairly lacking - though his games played and ice time both increased.

After a mediocre season which saw Cervenka post a 6-6-12 line in 51 games, the small Czech briefly lit up the playoffs, scoring 3-1-4 in 6 games. He followed that post-season success (which would be common a feature of his play) with a 2007-08 campaign where he scored 19-11-30 in 41 games and 4-4-8 in 14 playoff games. His true break through was in 2008-09. He was the second leading scorer on his team, Slavia Praha HC, managing 59 points in 51 regular season games and another 24 points in 18 post-season games. His last season in the Czech league was his best: 30-43-73 in 50 games. That was also the best season by any scorer in the Czech league that year.

In 2010-11 Roman Cervenka signed with Avangard Omsk of the KHL. He played on a line with a semi-well known hockey player named Jaromir Jagr and scored 61 points in 51 games, best on the team. When Jagr left for the Philadelphia Flyers, there was a falloff in his regular season play, but he still led Omsk in scoring and again absolutely lit up the playoffs; with 11-11-22 in 20 games, it didn't seem to matter who Cervenka played with - just that he played

Thanks JTech, 

Here's where I get confused, if you could help:

My understanding is that all Europeans are draft elligible, at all ages.   (all Non-North Americans)

So, how do we swing things like get Roman Cervenka?

And, not that Cervenka is the world's greatest example, but why can't that apply elsewhere?

http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/employment-law/item/nhl-cba-effects-european-players-and-international-ice-hockey

a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent Pursuant to Article 10.1(d).”

By all accounts Ortio isnt ready. And even if he was hes rusty. Hiller better stay healthy.

No way they take a chance sending down a healthy goalie with playoffs on the line. He is ready, and really surprised that he was cleared 2 weeks before schedule.

I agree on the rusty part. If Ramo comes back, Joni joins the Black Aces.

I worry now about Ramo.. bad time for an injury.. If Hiller takes us on even a respectable run in the playoffs,(and lets be serious, even winning one round will be like wining the cup in this city) then he may have just injured himself out of a job . 

i think its wrong , and would be unfair, but its also business..   hopefully I'm wrong , we re -sign him and let 3 goalies fight it out in camp

I worry now about Ramo.. bad time for an injury.. If Hiller takes us on even a respectable run in the playoffs,(and lets be serious, even winning one round will be like wining the cup in this city) then he may have just injured himself out of a job . 

i think its wrong , and would be unfair, but its also business..   hopefully I'm wrong , we re -sign him and let 3 goalies fight it out in camp

Only problem with carrying 3 goalies is that you leave yourself with only room for 12-14 forwards and 6-8 D-men (total 23).

Fine to carry more players than that up to opening night, but you have to trim the roster then.  Two goalies is what you can

carry and have them play normal rotation.  Sending one down results in a waiver situation. Trading one means you are giving

up one of them.

I would be fine with signing Ramo, letting them fight it out and picking the two top dogs. Trade one if you can, or take the chance on the waiver loss (TBH, the last day of cuts is the safest - assuming some team isn't desperate).

Ramo and Ortio are similar style goalies, I think.  Hiller plays deep and doesn't give much room to deek him out.  You watch him when the play is away from the net, and it looks like he is sitting down for a rest.  Ramo is very lively, and takes away a frontal assault. But he can get caught out of position.  Ortio is more technical than Ramo, and uses his abilities to cover the net.

Well....not my favorite weekend for goaltending.

Brossoit shows us why we shouldn't have traded him.  (I like Smid, but not enough to like the trade)

Ortio gets a "warmup" (not exactly what he probably had in mind for a "conditioning stint")

The nucks have Miller back and his backup is even better

oh well.

so what happens now...does Ortio stay up with the team? 

In an ideal situation, not sure if it's allowed, he would get sent down to the AHL to get Adirondack into the playoffs, and just get callups to the Flames on an as-needed basis in the playoffs.  Give him 5 AHL games and he'll be NHL ready again.

Brossoit shows us why we shouldn't have traded him.  (I like Smid, but not enough to like the trade)

Ortio gets a "warmup" (not exactly what he probably had in mind for a "conditioning stint")

oh well.

In an ideal situation, not sure if it's allowed, he would get sent down to the AHL to get Adirondack into the playoffs, and just get callups to the Flames on an as-needed basis in the playoffs.  Give him 5 AHL games and he'll be NHL ready again.

Miller will be a liability for the Nucks. Play him if they want and watch him struggle again this year.

Watch the crowd turn on him.

Would it make sense to send down the guy you called up to be the backup? Are you thinking Thiessen or Gillies? Gillies, yes I agree. Sign him and play him as a backup or send him to Addy.

It sounded as if Ramo could be ready for playoffs. I am not a fan of Ortio, still think he is over hyped. Still to small of a sample window with him. Look where our current goal tending has taken us. I know Ortio had a small stint in that, but once the book was out on him he got lite up like a Xmas tree. Trading one of current tenders after this season is a mistake. If I move anyone it would be Ortio. 

oh well.

If he is an emergency recall then he stays up until the player(Ramo) returns, at which time they have no choice to send him back.

If he isn't emergency recall then he can stay or be sent back as management decides.

Ortio haters out in force, Prior to this game he was solid for us and everyone loved him for the 5 games he played.

He literally just came back from a injury 2 weeks early, and thrown into a game where we rested basically our top 4-5 players.

On a side note, Congrats to Gillies for capturing the NCAA Championship today.

I'm not about to give up on Ortio after 1 bad game.

Ramo has had several this year and no one's screaming for his head.

Ortio just came back from a couple months injured, earlier than planned, was thrown straight into an NHL game with minimal practice, behind a team where the top 4 scoring forwards on the team are all off, and our top 4 D-men are all not playing.

You take away the 8 best guys in front of any goalie, and of course they're going to get lit up.

Ramage, Kulak and Wotherspoon have maybe 10 NHL games between them, Engellend is a well known liability, and Potter is boarderline. That leaves Schlemko as a decent 5/6D in front of Ortio.

To be throwing him under the bus after this game is insane.

If anything, it points to our complete lack of D depth.

I'm not about to give up on Ortio after 1 bad game.

Ramo has had several this year and no one's screaming for his head.

Ortio just came back from a couple months injured, earlier than planned, was thrown straight into an NHL game with minimal practice, behind a team where the top 4 scoring forwards on the team are all off, and our top 4 D-men are all not playing.

You take away the 8 best guys in front of any goalie, and of course they're going to get lit up.

Ramage, Kulak and Wotherspoon have maybe 10 NHL games between them, Engellend is a well known liability, and Potter is boarderline. That leaves Schlemko as a decent 5/6D in front of Ortio.

To be throwing him under the bus after this game is insane.

If anything, it points to our complete lack of D depth.

Could have sworn I heard on the broadcast that the Jets were resting "9" of their regulars.....

It just shows that our prospect pool is stacked, but not yet ready to go. Ortio had a bad night, but he came right back from injury. Other goalies would have been sent down for conditioning and to get back into the game.

At the end we missed our top 4 D's and even if we could compensate the injury of Gio, all top 4 D was a bit too much.

At the end it is done. We all wanted this game to mean nothing. Now it meant nothing and was just a showcase of our prospects and they need to be inserted carefully next season.

Ortio haters out in force, Prior to this game he was solid for us and everyone loved him for the 5 games he played.

He literally just came back from a injury 2 weeks early, and thrown into a game where we rested basically our top 4-5 players.

On a side note, Congrats to Gillies for capturing the NCAA Championship today.

I wasn't like that. I was one who said he goes down to early, and for a shorter goalie by today's standards he leaves the top corners wide open. NHL players are too good to not capitalize on that. 

McDonald is struggling in the playoffs.  .879 SV% and a 3.98 GAA with only 1 win in his 3 starts.  He lost the net to rookie MacCallum.  

I wasnt a big fan of the McDonald pick when it happened, there was other goalies on the board at the time.

But hey he's flames property now, so hopefully he proves me wrong.