s4xon

14 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I would still like to see the Czech connection in our net, Mrazek and Rittich. Everyone wanted to see a rebound from Mrazek, well it happened. Rittich proved he can handle a NHL net last season but I don't think we anoint him a #1 starter immediately. If the Flames want to win a SC over the next 3 season cheaping out on Goaltending isn't the way to go about it.

I would agree this would be the preferred route but I don't think the Flames can afford both Mrzaek and Rittich. Especially given i'm reading that Mrzaek is after a multi year deal and the price tag is going up. Cap wont' allow it, and while I do like Mrzaek i'm very nervous giving him a bigger $ deal. 

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would agree this would be the preferred route but I don't think the Flames can afford both Mrzaek and Rittich. Especially given i'm reading that Mrzaek is after a multi year deal and the price tag is going up. Cap wont' allow it, and while I do like Mrzaek i'm very nervous giving him a bigger $ deal. 

You wouldn't go 4.5M on a 3 year deal for Mrazek ? He may be looking for longer term and more money but will he get it is the question.

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Lehner and Mrazic are probably the best that could be available.

Neither is going to be cheap.

I hate always having to go with the cheap option, but we don't have a lot of choice it seems.

If we are looking at cheap, it should start with guys like Jarry.

Low risk.

Only way I go with Talbot is if the deal in 2 year or less and the AAV is around $1m, so that you can bury it and start again if it doesn't work out.  Jarry has one year left at $675k so that is the least risky cap wise.  

31 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

You wouldn't go 4.5M on a 3 year deal for Mrazek ? He may be looking for longer term and more money but will he get it is the question.

I would not. I would prefer Rittich as I don't think Mrazek is a starter. Love the idea of a tandem with him and Rittich but i don't think you spend 4.5 mill on a tandem goalie for multiple seasons. Those are the head scratching moves the Oilers make. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I would not. I would prefer Rittich as I don't think Mrazek is a starter. Love the idea of a tandem with him and Rittich but i don't think you spend 4.5 mill on a tandem goalie for multiple seasons. Those are the head scratching moves the Oilers make. 

there simply has to be more than 30 qualified number one goalies of NHL calibre in the entire hockey world.. Where are our scouts???

37 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

there simply has to be more than 30 qualified number one goalies of NHL calibre in the entire hockey world.. Where are our scouts???

That's the problem there isn't, there is maybe 10 goalies out there that I would classify as true number 1 goalies that can play 60+ games. The rest of the goalies are either backups or goalies that should be used in a tandem.

The NHL as a whole is going towards using tandems. Of the 4 teams that made it to the confrence finals only Martin Jones played more than 50 games this season, and that was only because San Jose didn't have any better options.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That's the problem there isn't, there is maybe 10 goalies out there that I would classify as true number 1 goalies that can play 60+ games. The rest of the goalies are either backups or goalies that should be used in a tandem.

The NHL as a whole is going towards using tandems. Of the 4 teams that made it to the confrence finals only Martin Jones played more than 50 games this season, and that was only because San Jose didn't have any better options.

That being the case would it make sense to structure a Goalie's contract on a base for X number of games played and bonus up for additional games played over and above ?

Is this allowed ?

1 minute ago, GM_3300 said:

That being the case would it make sense to structure a Goalie's contract on a base for X number of games played and bonus up for additional games played over and above ?

Is this allowed ?

No. Bonuses are only allowed on Entry level contracts, 35+ year old contract or players coming off injuries. 

54 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Is this allowed ?

I think they tend to structure the pay based on what they need the goalie for.

Smith would not be paid to be a #1 and Rittich backup.

It would have to be 1a/1b pay, which is 1.5m up to 3m, unless you are paying for a stud.

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

Is this allowed ?

you can structure a contract almost anyway the goalie and his agent agree to.. problem is.. Goalie may only play 40 games but agent wants to be payed for 365 days a year.. Dollars per game would be astronomically high.. As far as I can see.. Only thing you

re not allowed to negotiate is the right to play in international tournaments such as the Olympics or everyone would have a participation clause in their contract

• Like 1

Dobber Prospects had the following to say about Zagidulin:

June 2019 – Artyom Zagidulin was signed to a one-year ELC by the Calgary Flames. The 23-tear-old goaltender had a breakout season in the KHL by posting a .924 save percentage with a 1.96 GAA. As a free agent, he was lured to the NHL by Calgary most likely due to the uncertainty of their NHL tandem moving forward. At this point, his athleticism and calm movements set him up for success at the NHL level. 

Zagidulin is a butterfly-style goaltender who protects the bottom of the net very well. He is an agile netminder who moves quick post-to-post. He has a tendency to sit a little low once he goes to the butterfly and that might be something he works on improving moving forward. Overall, he has a similar style to Flames prospect Tyler Parsons and should provide strong internal competition should an injury arise at the NHL level.  – Joel Henderson

Lots of talk of Smitty potentially signing in Edm as he’s familiar with Tippett and Playfair. Apparently Cam Talbot is a potential suitor for the Flames...so Oilers and Flames could swap goalies essentially. Personally don’t see Smith signing there after he got another taste of the playoffs. Feels like we deal with this goalie question every year! Most important position and we just can’t solve it’s puzzle. Maybe Curtis Mchilliney makes a return ....

14 minutes ago, rickross said:

Lots of talk of Smitty potentially signing in Edm as he’s familiar with Tippett and Playfair. Apparently Cam Talbot is a potential suitor for the Flames...so Oilers and Flames could swap goalies essentially. Personally don’t see Smith signing there after he got another taste of the playoffs. Feels like we deal with this goalie question every year! Most important position and we just can’t solve it’s puzzle. Maybe Curtis Mchilliney makes a return ....

Smith should retire if he was smart. Doesn't EDM have two Goalies signed now at significant money ? I'm hoping for Mrazek here.

20 minutes ago, rickross said:

where is Reggie Lemelin?????

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

We should snagged that Stolarz from EDM he was rock before he got hurt last season.

Seravali wrote earlier today that if Talbot signs with the Flames it’s most likely a one year “show me” deal. 

Makes sense, after this year Parsons or Zagidulin could be cheap backup options following this season, which is important because they’ll be cheap and with the cap not increasing much the next few years we will need cheap contracts to fill spots 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

sDobber Prospects had the following to say about Zagidulin:

June 2019 – Artyom Zagidulin was signed to a one-year ELC by the Calgary Flames. The 23-tear-old goaltender had a breakout season in the KHL by posting a .924 save percentage with a 1.96 GAA. As a free agent, he was lured to the NHL by Calgary most likely due to the uncertainty of their NHL tandem moving forward. At this point, his athleticism and calm movements set him up for success at the NHL level. 

Zagidulin is a butterfly-style goaltender who protects the bottom of the net very well. He is an agile netminder who moves quick post-to-post. He has a tendency to sit a little low once he goes to the butterfly and that might be something he works on improving moving forward. Overall, he has a similar style to Flames prospect Tyler Parsons and should provide strong internal competition should an injury arise at the NHL level.  – Joel Henderson

At 23 maybe we should just go with him along with Rittich, sounds good to me.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would think that is what Talbot's contract should look like if he signs here. I don't think I would go any higher or longer than that.

I agree, should be a 1 year deal only. 

Although would be interesting to know if Talbot turned this down and why. Would certainly hope its not because the Flames have a better offer on the table. 

Edit: Flames not the only suitors

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree, should be a 1 year deal only. 

Although would be interesting to know if Talbot turned this down and why. Would certainly hope its not because the Flames have a better offer on the table. 

I never got the sense that Philly was bringing back Talbot.

4 games played.

Elliott at least gave them a reasonable SA% and GAA.

Better than Smith.

I seriously doubt that Talbot is going to get multiple offers close to $2m.

I don't think he's any worse than Koskinen, but that's not saying much.

EDM won't touch him and he won't go there anyway.

I would like to make a trade for Jarry and sign Talbot to less than $2m, preferably closer to $1m.

One gets sent down come October.

Unless a big trade is happening, there are not a lot of good options available.

Jarry is more of a risk, but potentially a better long term asset.

Talbot is at least a NHL goalie, but he may not be able to recapture his form.

We are likely the best fit for Talbot. NJ had Schneider locked in at big money for the next handful of seasons. We have Rittich who’s a good goalie, but I’m sure Talbot will like his chances at being a #1 here more than in NJ. I think he signs here. Also gives him a chance to stick it to the Oilers 

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

We are likely the best fit for Talbot. NJ had Schneider locked in at big money for the next handful of seasons. We have Rittich who’s a good goalie, but I’m sure Talbot will like his chances at being a #1 here more than in NJ. I think he signs here. Also gives him a chance to stick it to the Oilers 

I cant imagine NJ getting rid of Blackwood or being able to move Schnieder to make room for him.