s4xon

This is why I keep coming back to Anderson not being in our plans. I disagree on the 2nd, , I believe talks with us begin and end with our 6th OA. Our cost to aquire will not make sense.

Could be a quick call if the 6th is the starting point. I wouldn't be surprised if that call has already been made and an answer provided.

This is why I keep coming back to Anderson not being in our plans. I disagree on the 2nd, , I believe talks with us begin and end with our 6th OA. Our cost to aquire will not make sense.

Maybe that's what they want, but it's not realistic.  He's a RFA.  He's due to make over $3m and they can't afford to give him the raise he deserves (internal and salary cap). It's a buyers market.  Expansion is days away from being announced.  There are a few teams that have too many goalies to protect.

Anyway, it's speculation, but Burke talked about using the 2nd round pick(s) to solve the goalie problem.  MAF would not require a 2nd.  Elliott, would at least.  Bishop about the same or more.

Maybe that's what they want, but it's not realistic.  He's a RFA.  He's due to make over $3m and they can't afford to give him the raise he deserves (internal and salary cap). It's a buyers market.  Expansion is days away from being announced.  There are a few teams that have too many goalies to protect.

Anyway, it's speculation, but Burke talked about using the 2nd round pick(s) to solve the goalie problem.  MAF would not require a 2nd.  Elliott, would at least.  Bishop about the same or more.

What do you think it takes to get MAF from PIT ?

If the Penguins get more then a 2nd, and not a high one, and a so/so prospect I'll be surprised. I don't see a lot of teams being able to fit his salary, allow him to play and lastly be able to protect him in the expansion draft and not cost them a better goalie. I think only 2-3 teams at best will be interested and that's going to lower the price. To get more I think they will need to retain salary

If the Penguins get more then a 2nd, and not a high one, and a so/so prospect I'll be surprised. I don't see a lot of teams being able to fit his salary, allow him to play and lastly be able to protect him in the expansion draft and not cost them a better goalie. I think only 2-3 teams at best will be interested and that's going to lower the price. To get more I think they will need to retain salary

I don't think they will necessarily be looking to add much if anything at a cost and should be happy to move him. The Flames should be able to do a deal this being the case,if they want MAF. I don't think the experience would hurt us any.

I don't think they will necessarily be looking to add much if anything at a cost and should be happy to move him. The Flames should be able to do a deal this being the case,if they want MAF. I don't think the experience would hurt us any.

They suggested on the FAN this morning (not a rumor)  Wideman + Dallas 2nd.. win win for both clubs.. could be the best return they get .

Rutherford is big on putting the player first .. rewarding Fleury will be  more important than the return 

I can't see that trade working. I don't think Penguins would have to trade him for equal salary and I think Wideman is a really poor fit for how the Penguins play. Nice to dream but it's unrealistic IMO. That's a much better trade for the flames than the Pens

I need to explain.  When I said high 2nd, I meant Dallas or FLA 2nd, not #35.  I tend to use low to mean better.  Whatever. :)

I am starting to think that that unless Tampa really needs to clear out cap space that we won't see Bishop on the market. He doesn't need to protected in an expansion draft, and Tampa is still very much a Cup contender and he probably gives them their best chance at winning a cup.

In Treliving's interview today he mentioned that even if their is an expansion draft it won't happen till next year so teams that might have to move a goaltender still have a year to make a decision. I think he was basically saying that the availability of goalies this year might not be as high as we would all like to believe.

I really think that we might be looking at MAF, Andersen and Varlamov as being the best names available this year and I would say that Varlamov is from a certainty to hit the market.

I covered it in more depth in the trade suggestions thread but the Pengies need to shed salary while an expansion draft would lead to more goalies in the market. @ 5.75 x 3 MAF would be 1 of the more expensive out there.

A 2nd is too high considering Pittsburgh's situation.

Im just gonna narrow down my prediction 

Our starter next season will be either MAF or Reimer. If its MAF we'll know by Draft day.

The way BT talked about Ortio, i get the sense its Big team or Bust.  If we sign a guy who can do a heavy workload, Ortio is the backup . If its a guy that needs or may need to be platooned, he's gone

Im just gonna narrow down my prediction

Our starter next season will be either MAF or Reimer. If its MAF we'll know by Draft day.

The way BT talked about Ortio, i get the sense its Big team or Bust. If we sign a guy who can do a heavy workload, Ortio is the backup . If its a guy that needs or may need to be platooned, he's gone

I got the same vibe. They seem to like him only as a 20-30 game max type of guy and anything more they'd likely be shopping for 2 goalies. I can't say I disagree either.

I covered it in more depth in the trade suggestions thread but the Pengies need to shed salary while an expansion draft would lead to more goalies in the market. @ 5.75 x 3 MAF would be 1 of the more expensive out there.

A 2nd is too high considering Pittsburgh's situation.

At the end of the day we are still talking about about a goalie who has performed at a top 10 level for a good 3-4 seasons or more. Cap situation or not teams will still want that.

What if Pitt still wants MAF? Are they fully sold on Murray?

They went with Murray because Fleury was cold and Murray was in a groove. They didn't necessarily go with Murray because he was the choice.

I think they have been looking and hoping for a successor for MAF.  His numbers in the regular season are outstanding; he won 7 in a row to finish the season.  He had a 15-6 record in the playoffs.  I would say they are safe in going with him as a starter. 

They went with Murray because Fleury was cold and Murray was in a groove. They didn't necessarily go with Murray because he was the choice.

That will be an assessment Rutherford will have to determine. Everyone is assuming Murray's performance will allow him to trade MAF and reduce his payroll which many deem necessary there. Smart move would be go with Murray and get a cheaper vet back up.

That will be an assessment Rutherford will have to determine. Everyone is assuming Murray's performance will allow him to trade MAF and reduce his payroll which many deem necessary there. Smart move would be go with Murray and get a cheaper vet back up.

I agree, but it's just that we can't assume that's the route they will take. Murray played well, yes, but it is still a low number of games to grade him on. He did good, yes, but I wonder if they would wait and see if other teams figure Murray out. Is it possible Murray has weaknesses that get exposed when he plays more?

I agree, but it's just that we can't assume that's the route they will take. Murray played well, yes, but it is still a low number of games to grade him on. He did good, yes, but I wonder if they would wait and see if other teams figure Murray out. Is it possible Murray has weaknesses that get exposed when he plays more?

Who else would the Pengies trade to overcome their cap problem?

Crosby/Malkin? Doubtful.

Letang with his injury & suspension history @ 7.25 x 6?

Murray looks capable enough & actually plays well in big games (see MAF's 2 games these playoffs) making Fleury the most expendable/trade likely.

Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden came into the league in the same way. I don't think PIT will over think their situation. I think MAF is good as gone.

Who else would the Pengies trade to overcome their cap problem?

Crosby/Malkin? Doubtful.

Letang with his injury & suspension history @ 7.25 x 6?

Murray looks capable enough & actually plays well in big games (see MAF's 2 games these playoffs) making Fleury the most expendable/trade likely.

Any validity to a Malkin to DET rumors ? Letang is safe there and nobody else wants fatboy.

Fair question and in sure if you ask Rutherford he'd keep both but between cap and the expansion draft I don't think he can.

Also the other question is would fleury stay in Pittsburgh? I think it's almost a given that he would rather move on then be a backup or a tandem.

(see MAF's 2 games these playoffs) making Fleury the most expendable/trade likely.

Exactly...   Fleury stopped 21 of 25 for a .840 SV% and a loss in the first game, and went in for less than a period in relief and stopped 7 for 7...

Murray just tied Roy and Hextall for all-time wins record by a rookie in the playoffs with 15...   He has also already been named to Team North America for the 2016 World Cup, and the way things are going could very well likely be the starter over Gibson...

Fleury has been bumped out of Penguinville...   It's just a matter of when...

talk on Fan960 was Pinder wanted to make a trade of Wideman and our lowest 2nd round pick for MAF. He had it all figured they couldn't refuse that offer...

I don't know about that one even though they could use some blueline help. If they moved Malkin and Fleury maybe it makes sense. Reading above cross and FF don't seem to think it will take much more than a 2nd rounder and a low prospect.

I don't know about that one even though they could use some blueline help. If they moved Malkin and Fleury maybe it makes sense. Reading above cross and FF don't seem to think it will take much more than a 2nd rounder and a low prospect.

I think the logic is $5.25m(one year, expansion exempt) + 2nd for $5.75m (3 years, needs protection).