s4xon

Reported: Apparently the #Flames have signed David Rittich to a one-year two-way deal. http://hokej.idnes.cz/hokej-nhl-david-rittich-calgary-dmy-/nhl.aspx?c=A160610_144339_nhl_cig 

At least an option for the farm.  Long term prospect, I guess.

A little bit more info:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Report-Calgary-Flames-Sign-Goaltender-David-Rittich/202/77470

I guess he Czechs a few of the boxes.  

• Like 1

O1JVnnjS_bigger.pngFlamesNation@FlamesNation 37m37 minutes ago

Reported: Apparently the #Flames have signed David Rittich to a one-year two-way deal. http://hokej.idnes.cz/hokej-nhl-david-rittich-calgary-dmy-/nhl.aspx?c=A160610_144339_nhl_cig

At least an option for the farm. Long term prospect, I guess.

A little bit more info:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Report-Calgary-Flames-Sign-Goaltender-David-Rittich/202/77470

I guess he Czechs a few of the boxes.

Who are our European scouts, they sure do love their Czechs.

His stats don't jump off the page at you, but for goaltenders stats rarely tell the whole picture.

This would be one of those, why not signings.

Totally..nothing to lose they obviously see something in him. Get him into our system,with our coaches and see what he can be. This likely means the end of Poulin,which I agree with.fill that spot with development.

Don't like what you see after a year? Fine fill it with someone else.

He could just as easily be the next Kipper.thats how you develop a prospect system

He fits a need. I think they needede someone in the AHL that they would be ok with having to call up and sit on a bench if they got into a long term injury situation. Right now Gilles is probably in that role and I you want Gilles to play as much as he cant, not sit. 

I get stats dont' tell the whole picture, but Marek Schwartz is not a very good goalie and this guy isn't out performing him so my expectations are very low. I think this is just a bridge and gives them a guy that can give them that depth and then the following year I think you want Gilles challengign for an NHL job and Mason McDonald challenging for the starters job in the AHL. 

He fits a need. I think they needede someone in the AHL that they would be ok with having to call up and sit on a bench if they got into a long term injury situation. Right now Gilles is probably in that role and I you want Gilles to play as much as he cant, not sit. 

I get stats dont' tell the whole picture, but Marek Schwartz is not a very good goalie and this guy isn't out performing him so my expectations are very low. I think this is just a bridge and gives them a guy that can give them that depth and then the following year I think you want Gilles challengign for an NHL job and Mason McDonald challenging for the starters job in the AHL. 

It's odd, for sure.   You would think they'd be filling the NHL roles and then evaluating the trickle-down.

I'm not totally against the idea of getting younger goalies and seeing what happens.  He's definitely got NHL size.   But he wouldn't be my first choice, and probably not in my top 20.  Or 30....  of unsigned talent.

With so many unsigned goalies with the potential calibre to surprise everyone, it's a touch odd.   And maybe seems a bit lazy/handy after signing Daniel Pribyl.

But I DO like that they're getting more younger goalies, I guess.

It's odd, for sure.   You would think they'd be filling the NHL roles and then evaluating the trickle-down.

I'm not totally against the idea of getting younger goalies and seeing what happens.  He's definitely got NHL size.   But he wouldn't be my first choice, and probably not in my top 20.  Or 30....  of unsigned talent.

With so many unsigned goalies with the potential calibre to surprise everyone, it's a touch odd.   And maybe seems a bit lazy/handy after signing Daniel Pribyl.

But I DO like that they're getting more younger goalies, I guess.

I don't know how much scouting you do of European goalies, but I suspect the Flames actively do.  That's not a shot.  

He was likely seen as much as any of the other unsigned talent in the other Euro leagues.  Pribyl had been scouted for the last year, so I suspect they do their job similarly with goalies.

• Like 1

Minor league signing of a goalie I have never heard of. Pretty common depth move that all teams do. Not much here to be excited about one way or the other.

True but for every unheard of signing , there could be the next Kipper..:). doubt it, but I wouldn't have believed it then either

True but for every unheard of signing , there could be the next Kipper..:). doubt it, but I wouldn't have believed it then either

Kipper wasn't signed from an obscure league. He was already an NHL goalie. I can't think of the last signing lime this thst amounted to a high end goalie.

I must have missed the part where the Flames earned the benefit of the doubt with their goaltending decisions.

Too funny.

They made all the right decisions, but the goalies didn't do their part.   :D

Do you think coaching may have lead to their demise as much as questionable choices?  The most recent goalie we had with any value was Kipper.  Wasn't that Dutter and his goalie coach at the time Marcoux?  Since then we had 3 years of Malarchuk and 2 years of Sigalet.  In all that time, the only goalie besides Kipper to enjoy any improvement was Ramo.  And it seemed that he only got better this year after he changed his style a bit.

Kipper wasn't signed from an obscure league. He was already an NHL goalie. I can't think of the last signing lime this thst amounted to a high end goalie.

Agreed. I don't mind it but it's worth remembering that the vast majority of these moves don't work out.

Since you asked so nicely, both. He signed a 2 way deal. At least that is what is being reported by the talking heads and twitterverse.

Thanks, we'll see how things work out, but he'll likely start with his countryman Pribyl in the AHL. This certainly came out of left field....

Backstrom--- Hiller ---Bobrovsky-- Fasth----Niemi--Raanta-- Gustavsson--  all undrafted 

I mean he may or may not pan out , bottom line is its more productive bring these guys in to get a look see in your organization , than signing an obvious space filler like Poulin.. this kid may be Pribyls cousin and a condition of his own signing for all we know..but likely got seen while scouting Pribyl and made an impression .

Its not like we're signing 2 of them and asking them to be our starters next year