s4xon

It's starting to sound like the most likely scenario is that the NHL defers for one year to give Seattle the chance to get their stuff together. Bad news for the Flames. Means more of our players move into unprotected status, delays getting a top 4D for another year, and it limits which goalies will be available this summer.

Well if so that MAY be the case, but even this year is still fine.  On the other hand, since we have a massive number of contracts, including Johnny & Mony to be signed in the next few months, do you think some guys COULD get a full NMC for at least a year or two?  

This could easily be Monahan, Gaudreau, Colborne and let's say Nakladal on D?  It would also make it IMPERATIVE to trade/waive Wideman and his NMC by next TDL at the latest.  If expansion is deferred, you could also add Bennett, Ferland, Jokipakka.... to the NMC lists.  I don't think its going to be an issue either way.  If you did that you could still bring in a great 4D (although I believe we already have one) and go the Protect 8 player scenario in an expansion draft.

Fleury's contract going forward has a Full NMC, the "Limited" portion only refers to 2010.  Fleury will be the Only goalie protected or traded.  Go back and check your source. The only news on the announcement is the dropping of the 25% Salary inclusion, and that we still have 2-3 weeks before we actually know whether it is going forward or not.

Hey cccsberg. I got my info from GeneralFanager (whom got it from CapGeek) and credited them in my original post. You've stated Fleury has a full no move clause, but you didn't provide or credit your source. Please do so as I've been unable to confirm your claim. If you are indeed correct, that changes things significantly as Pittsburgh's hand would be forced to deal with Fleury in the event of expansion.

Thanks

I think the Pens are going to shop Fleury with or without expansion. For a cap team, you simply cannot afford to have 5 million in a backup goalie. The Pens are already basically at the cap for next year and that doesn't include trying to bring back guys like Cullen or Lovejoy.  

Expansion will make things better but I think even if it doesn't go through there are going to be al ot of options out there. There are a lot of goalies looking for the next step and a bit of a log jam on more than a few teams. 

I think the Pens are going to shop Fleury with or without expansion. For a cap team, you simply cannot afford to have 5 million in a backup goalie. The Pens are already basically at the cap for next year and that doesn't include trying to bring back guys like Cullen or Lovejoy.  

Expansion will make things better but I think even if it doesn't go through there are going to be al ot of options out there. There are a lot of goalies looking for the next step and a bit of a log jam on more than a few teams. 

They will likely have to make a choice between trading him before the draft or buying him out, assuming the expansion goes through. A team may be desperate enough to trade for him, but the Pens are stuck with him otherwise, and that makes keeping him this season risky.

Expansion will help the Flames land a good goalie.  Without it happening, we will be more limited to expensive trades and cap crisis situations.

They will likely have to make a choice between trading him before the draft or buying him out, assuming the expansion goes through. A team may be desperate enough to trade for him, but the Pens are stuck with him otherwise, and that makes keeping him this season risky.

Expansion will help the Flames land a good goalie.  Without it happening, we will be more limited to expensive trades and cap crisis situations.

Should expansion be put off to the 2018/19 season, what kind of deal does it take to get a goalie such as Vasilevskiy ? I think this would be the way for the Flames to go, focus on the East because I don't see ANA trading with us.

Should expansion be put off to the 2018/19 season, what kind of deal does it take to get a goalie such as Vasilevskiy ? I think this would be the way for the Flames to go, focus on the East because I don't see ANA trading with us.

Stevie Y has talked about going into the season with Vas and Bishop.  Seems to think there is no rush, but that is posturing more than anything.  Should the expansion be held off for another year, we are going to have to talk to Western teams, as STL and ANA are the ones that have the dueling goalies and cap problems.  Pitts and Tampa don't need to do anything if they can fix problems elsewhere in their rosters.  As in buyouts.

I am on board with giving Ramo another 1 year deal.

His injury time line brings him back Aug. to Oct. just in time for opening season.

I believe he has elite qualities that with the right coach and work on our defense becomes our go to guy.

Ortio can start the season with Ramo as back up until he can get back to form.

With money tight the last thing I want to see is another Hillier type pickup.

I could see BT picking up or drafting an elite goalie prospect to nurture.

If we can get a coach that works on our defense I will have total faith in the Ramo/Ortio duo.

Spoke with a buddy who attended the Season Ticket Holder Q & A hosted by Brian Burke.

Burkey apparently told those in attendance that the only current goalie who might be returning is Joni Ortio....in a backup role.

Ramo is done.

Pretty sure they are aiming for that true #1 goaltender who will play 60-70 games.

Stevie Y has talked about going into the season with Vas and Bishop.  Seems to think there is no rush, but that is posturing more than anything.  Should the expansion be held off for another year, we are going to have to talk to Western teams, as STL and ANA are the ones that have the dueling goalies and cap problems.  Pitts and Tampa don't need to do anything if they can fix problems elsewhere in their rosters.  As in buyouts.

I don't think either of STL or ANA have to do anything so we could be hooped.

Spoke with a buddy who attended the Season Ticket Holder Q & A hosted by Brian Burke.

Burkey apparently told those in attendance that the only current goalie who might be returning is Joni Ortio....in a backup role.

Ramo is done.

Pretty sure they are aiming for that true #1 goaltender who will play 60-70 games.

We don't have a ton of trade material so the curiosity will grow as to who they will be able to get.

I don't think either of STL or ANA have to do anything so we could be hooped.

We don't have a ton of trade material so the curiosity will grow as to who they will be able to get.

STL has to deal with their goalie situation sooner than later.  They have cap issues this year trying to replace or re-sign players. Elliott has value, as does Allen, but they need to make a choice.  Both goalies have a year left, one will be RFA while the other UFA. One of the two is going to be making over $4m in 2017/18.  Can't keep em both.  

Anaheim has cap issues too.  Do they really want to trade away Vatanen or Lindholm?  Edmonton hopes so, but they can't take back Nuge or Eberle for one of them.  Their goalie situation is as perilous as STL, since Andersen is a RFA this summer.  He's due a big raise. 

Ramo is done.

I would take a 50 game starter and have Ortio play the other 30. Ortio has looked ok as a backup and as long as he gives the team a chance to win, that is the main thing.

I would take a 50 game starter and have Ortio play the other 30. Ortio has looked ok as a backup and as long as he gives the team a chance to win, that is the main thing.

I have not seen him capable as a backup.

A backup has to ride the pine for many games and come in ready to play. Ortio has not shown he can do this.

He has also shown he needs large number of games to be ready to play or find his rhythm.

He has shown he is a slow starter and not come prepared to start seasons.

• Like 1

A backup has to ride the pine for many games and come in ready to play. Ortio has not shown he can do this.

He has also shown he needs large number of games to be ready to play or find his rhythm.

If he wants to play in the NHL he has to know these knocks against him and make the adjustments. He will either be the back up or I see them letting him walk.

Ramo is done.

I wonder if we could trade Burke?

I wonder if we could trade Burke?

A few years ago, it was pitched that we could move out all of our Sutters - five at the time, for all of the Stalls.

I'm not sure what the market is for Burke, but I'm thinking we could get some MILFs, and maybe a conditional second. As tempting as that is, I figure we should hang onto him.

Love.

The prudent thing would be to sign a NHL backup, and assign (after re-signing) him to the farm.  If he starts the season there with better than 0.920 and the NHL backup is not doing so hot, then swap the players between the farm.

My problem with goaltenders is that one that struggles early on is going to derail the season.  No time for Ortio to find his game as a backup; he has to prove it prior to getting the backup gig.

Goalies like Bishop, Andersen, Elliott have the ability to come into a season and shine.  Murray cemented himself after two great AHL seasons and a strong showing in injury relief and playoffs in the NHL.  Valilevskiy has a smaller body of work in NA, and has shown less impressive numbers.  He did show himself as a capable backup in the NHL though.  Ortio has shown neither so far.  He had a so-so AHL season and a so-so NHL injury relief season. 

Whoever our goalie tandem is this season has to be ready to play.  

So I'll drop a name.

Ilya Sorokin.

Basically, the equivalent of acquiring the potential calibre of a Matt Murray of Vasilevsky, a year prior to their rise.  

Not without risk, and not cheap.  But attainable.

Whether he can player here or not, I've no idea (enter cross)

Sorokin seems to be talented but he's very young and has never played in a North American style game.  He would need at least a couple of seasons in the AHL to see how he rates.  So, I think it's a stretch to say it'd be the equivalent of a Murray or Vasilevsky, both of which are proven commodities, more or less.  He has the potential to be a future starter but is unlikely to be in a position to succeed in the NHL for a while, so he certainly isn't a solution for the Flames for next season.

So I'll drop a name.

Ilya Sorokin.

Basically, the equivalent of acquiring the potential calibre of a Matt Murray of Vasilevsky, a year prior to their rise.  

Not without risk, and not cheap.  But attainable.

Whether he can player here or not, I've no idea (enter cross)

Intriguing name for sure but his situation is tricky. First of all he is Islander property so you would have to trade for his rights and secondly he is under contract, based on what i've read, to the KHL until 2018. 

The problem I would see is the only reason the Islanders have to trade him is if he has told them flat out he will never play in NA (possibly but seems unlikely). Assuming that is not the case, then I find it hard to believe they are going to be looking to move him. He's flashing high end potential and the fact that he is under contract to the KHL that long probably helps the Islanders as he can develop over there and be brought over when he is NHL ready.

Intriguing name, but I don't think he is easily attainable. Complex situation but maybe one you monitor moving forward. 

So, I think it's a stretch to say it'd be the equivalent of a Murray or Vasilevsky, both of which are proven commodities, more or less. 

Good point....maybe that's why nobody said that :)

Intriguing name for sure but his situation is tricky. First of all he is Islander property so you would have to trade for his rights and secondly he is under contract, based on what i've read, to the KHL until 2018. 

Well that's tricky.   I would still consider, and monitor it.  But I'm less focused, personally, on next season than many.  His performance level is way ahead of Ramo's when we brought him over, and he's at a much younger age.

Are there cases of players renegading on their KHL contracts?  I suppose not.

Well that's tricky. I would still consider, and monitor it. But I'm less focused, personally, on next season than many. His performance level is way ahead of Ramo's when we brought him over, and he's at a much younger age.

Are there cases of players renegading on their KHL contracts? I suppose not.

Players have bought themselves out of contracts in the KHL. I think I heard that someone did that this year?

Well that's tricky.   I would still consider, and monitor it.  But I'm less focused, personally, on next season than many.  His performance level is way ahead of Ramo's when we brought him over, and he's at a much younger age.

If the cost to obtain was not crazy, it would be an interesting prospect to get in the organization.  I;m not sure how to gauge his results at this early age.  This season, great results.  Last season, not so much except for the final 6 games.  Not sure of his height, as one place has him at 6 feet, while others have him at 6'2".  Both have him at 167 lbs.

I know you are just thinking down the road, but if he's a drafted player from another team are you suggesting we trade for him now?

A bit risky for an unsigned Russian in the KHL.

Not reneging no, you can't do that anymore. Use to be able to and Malkin was the most high profile who reneged on an KHL contract to join the NHL but after that the leagues agreed to honour each other contracts.

Players have bought themselves out of contracts in the KHL. I think I heard that someone did that this year?

Yes, Sergei Plotnikov. Bought out his contract with his own money to join the Penguins. 

• Like 1