s4xon

F.Anderson- With Gibson stalling in the playoffs they may try and figure a way to keep him.

At the end of the day it really comes down to availabilty...and it can be random sometimes.

For all we know, Gibson will become available if someone really changes their opinion on him based on a couple playoff games.  Stranger things have happened (not saying it's likely).

You know....I Really, Truly believe, that our goaltender situation will resolve itself.  I think Ortio is continuing to improve.   I think he will take a big step forward without Hartley.

I think Gillies is going to advance much more rapidly than we think.  He may start off very rusty, of course, but ...just a gut feelling, that we'll see rapid acceleration there.

Not that we couldn't stand to add a good piece.  For the right price.  But we shouldn't think this removes all risk.

• Like 1

At the end of the day it really comes down to availabilty...and it can be random sometimes.

For all we know, Gibson will become available if someone really changes their opinion on him based on a couple playoff games.  Stranger things have happened (not saying it's likely).

You know....I Really, Truly believe, that our goaltender situation will resolve itself.  I think Ortio is continuing to improve.   I think he will take a big step forward without Hartley.

I think Gillies is going to advance much more rapidly than we think.  He may start off very rusty, of course, but ...just a gut feelling, that we'll see rapid acceleration there.

Not that we couldn't stand to add a good piece.  For the right price.  But we shouldn't think this removes all risk.

That is good thinking... the flames have that young future goaltending potential but still need to, "...add a good piece." "For the right price.", for sure, as in not selling the farm for one but they gotta reach into their pockets and get a good deal. Nothing reduces all risk in hockey; any well made decision can fall flat but the fans are growing tired of the present goaltending. The fans (and the players) need a new figurehead they can start out with, and get behind next season.

• Like 1

Gotta admit I'm with you on this.. under the right coach , and system,  I believe we would be ok with the ones we have. I admit I'm excited to see who BH really does bring in , cuz he will, but Ramo especially .. will either be much better here, or make us regret losing him where he does play.

His injury does play a factor, i think that doubt alone means you bring somebody in .

Thats my issue with Gibson too.. dude keeps getting injured. My gut still tells me we start with Reimer and Ortio.. then when Ramo is 100% he gets in the mix. I just firmly believe we wont walk from Ramo until we see him in a different system.

We will get something that makes us better.

You can't just assume that all will be fine with Ortio and Gillies.  There is a possibility that neither will make it.  I hope they both do, but you have to manage the risk.   

• Like 2

We will get something that makes us better.

You can't just assume that all will be fine with Ortio and Gillies.  There is a possibility that neither will make it.  I hope they both do, but you have to manage the risk.   

While goaltenders tend to develope last in the chain of positions in hockey and sometimes as late as 30 yrs of age I would hope that our goalie prospects all work out and sooner than later.

But......

I also hope that finding a top goalie in the meantime should be among the first items on BT's "To Do List".

(Hopefully right before or right after signing JH and Mony)

It is a no lose situation to find a better than average starter for us now. It would likely be harmful to the club to attempt to run with any combination of last years Goalies.

Unless of course BT sells the farm in getting us one.  We will still have that asset should any of our Prospects step up and earn the right to become our starter in the future.

• Like 2

While goaltenders tend to develope last in the chain of positions in hockey and sometimes as late as 30 yrs of age I would hope that our goalie prospects all work out and sooner than later.

But......

I also hope that finding a top goalie in the meantime should be among the first items on BT's "To Do List".

(Hopefully right before or right after signing JH and Mony)

It is a no lose situation to find a better than average starter for us now. It would likely be harmful to the club to attempt to run with any combination of last years Goalies.

Unless of course BT sells the farm in getting us one.  We will still have that asset should any of our Prospects step up and earn the right to become our starter in the future.

I believe you have the order right SM, then JG, then goalie situation, sprinkle in getting rid of Wideman, Stajan, Raymond and Bollig. Then consider how best to fortify our forward lines.

I believe you have the order right SM, then JG, then goalie situation, sprinkle in getting rid of Wideman, Stajan, Raymond and Bollig. Then consider how best to fortify our forward lines.

Stajan is still a good fourth liner is he not? I'd like to see him get a cup. We may be getting a wee bit of topic now.

Thats my issue with Gibson too.. dude keeps getting injured.

It's a risk.   But, imho, a very acceptable one, At the Right Price.....

Again though....Patience.   Gibson could immediately help us....sort of.  But, the kid has hip surgery in his future.  Straight up.  Which is fine, as long as Ortio/Gillies get where they need to be, before that happens.   If the surgery goes well, Gibson could come out of it better than ever, and have an extremely long NHL career.    (or not).

The only way All major Risk is avoided, is by Paying way too much.  Either blowing the Cap, or giving up first round picks, or trading away top young players.   A choice must be made on whether to accept risk, how much to accept, and what kinds.   Or, pay dearly.

Ortio isn't part of the discussion yet in my opinion. He has done nothing to show he is going to be a NHL starter to this point. Meanwhile Gilles has 7 games of pro and just missed almost an entire season and is coming off of major surgery.

We can debate which goalie the Flames should target and we can debate how much the Flames should be willing to spend. But there should be no debate that the Flames need to get someone that can be a starter next season because we have no credible options right now.

Ortio isn't part of the discussion yet in my opinion. He has done nothing to show he is going to be a NHL starter to this point. Meanwhile Gilles has 7 games of pro and just missed almost an entire season and is coming off of major surgery.

We can debate which goalie the Flames should target and we can debate how much the Flames should be willing to spend. But there should be no debate that the Flames need to get someone that can be a starter next season because we have no credible options right now.

That is The bottom line.

I agree that Ortio isn't part of the discussion, he actually reminds me of Ramo when he was with Tampa Bay. A good prospect that did not have the consistency needed to play in the NHL, Ortio should follow the same path as Ramo go overseas work on getting consistent and come back to the NHL and maybe have a good few years or stay overseas and carve out a pretty good career there.

Gilles injury is another reason I think that Calgary should be looking at younger backup goalies that are blocked from the starter's roll. Because we have no clue how Gilles or his body is going to react coming off that type of surgery. He could be like Demko and have no problems or he could be like DiPietro and continue to have problems. So by getting a younger goalie that is less expensive they can still keep the future bright for the Flames and not end in a goalie turnstile for the next few years.

Just throwing it out there....

Would there be any interest at all in trading MacDonald + for Vasilevskiy?  This is, of course, assuming an expansion draft in 2017.  Bishop has to be protected (NMC), so they can't also protect Vasilevskiy.  MacDonald may not be in the same class (or even close), but he does get them something exempt from the draft.  The + would have to be something interesting, but there is not a lot of teams that need a starter this season.

• Like 1

Just throwing it out there....

Would there be any interest at all in trading MacDonald + for Vasilevskiy?  This is, of course, assuming an expansion draft in 2017.  Bishop has to be protected (NMC), so they can't also protect Vasilevskiy.  MacDonald may not be in the same class (or even close), but he does get them something exempt from the draft.  The + would have to be something interesting, but there is not a lot of teams that need a starter this season.

Could be an ideal solution for both teams....  yes I would do that, depending on the "+" of course.

Could be an ideal solution for both teams....  yes I would do that, depending on the "+" of course.

The + depends on what they want/need.  I would add Hickey, if that's what they wanted.  Or a forward prospect not named Shinkaruk or Poirier or Janko.  The 6th overall is not on the table, not for just a goalie.  

I don't think it will take that much. Semyon Varlamov had more, IMO, NHL pedigree than Vasilevsky and it took a first and a 2nd round pick. I'd personally rather keep McDonald because IMO the upside is high. I think you can get Vasilesvky without giving up good prospects like Hickey or McDonald. 

I don't think it will take that much. Semyon Varlamov had more, IMO, NHL pedigree than Vasilevsky and it took a first and a 2nd round pick. I'd personally rather keep McDonald because IMO the upside is high. I think you can get Vasilesvky without giving up good prospects like Hickey or McDonald. 

Depends how many games he has in the playoffs.  He looks good, but not a world beater.  

I suggest Hickey because I think he has been passed by Andersson and Kylington.  Also, I just don't want to give up the 6th overall.  If he could be had excluding any of those, perfect.

The + depends on what they want/need.  I would add Hickey, if that's what they wanted.  Or a forward prospect not named Shinkaruk or Poirier or Janko.  The 6th overall is not on the table, not for just a goalie.  

I think that's in the ball park.  Not because I think Vasilevsky has proven anything yet, but Hickey may be expendable as we have a glut of D prospects and can't play them all.  

If expansion goes ahead and they must protect Bishop due to a NMC, its way overpayment.

Depends how many games he has in the playoffs.  He looks good, but not a world beater.  

I suggest Hickey because I think he has been passed by Andersson and Kylington.  Also, I just don't want to give up the 6th overall.  If he could be had excluding any of those, perfect.

I am not sure that I would so easily part ways with Hickey. His international play impressed me. Time will tell I suppose.

I don't agree Hickey has been passed. I would trade Kylington and Andersson before Hickey in a heartbeat. His upside is greater than those 2.  I wouldn't be quick to part with any of the 3 though because I don't think the Flames are in a position to deal from depth on D. Looks good on paper, but logistically probably 1 of those 3 will turn out to be a solid NHLer. Don't reduce your odds at this point. You can get good goaltending by giving up picks/lesser prospects. I really don't think the prices are going to get as high as some think. I think plenty of goalies are going to be available and the Flames are 1 of 3 that will be heavily shopping for a starter. That gives them a lot of control over what they want to pay.

• Like 1