s4xon

Just another BS rumour out of Edmonchuk...

If the Flames traded Bennett for for Bishop I would be choked...   I would like it if the Flames could land Bishop, but not for Bennett...

f52c5f30c3323e47025ea246869f01b4.png

No to trading Bennett for any goaltender... Not even a healthy Cary Price

Just say 2j2jq7q.gif

No to trading Bennett for any goaltender... Not even a healthy Cary Price

Just say 2j2jq7q.gif

A healthy Carey Price? Bennett is to little.

I'd go as high as Gaudreau & our 1st rounder.

@ 28 Price is likely the best goalie out there for his remaining 2 year contract (6.5) as Rinne looks shaky, King Henrik is 34 leaving only Quick (benefits from team defense) as close to equal.

@ 28 Price is likely the best goalie out there for his remaining 2 year contract (6.5) as Rinne looks shaky, King Henrik is 34 leaving only Quick (benefits from team defense) as close to equal.

I know he wouldn't be enough, but I would rather give up draft picks and non core than give up Bennett at this point.

Edit: I suppose from the standpoint no one is untouchable, I might consider Bennett if we won 1st overall pick at draft lotto.

Just another BS rumour out of Edmonchuk...

If the Flames traded Bennett for Bishop I would be choked...   I would like it if the Flames could land Bishop, but not for Bennett...

f52c5f30c3323e47025ea246869f01b4.png

I could see maybe Backlund and a 2nd but Bennett for Bishop, way to much. Besides Bishops contract is to high for us to take on unless your moving a large contract out.

I'm guessing that BT will not trade for a goalie until this summer.

He will want to see where the Flames pick in the draft and who is available on July 1.

If the Flames are fortunate enough to win the lottery and pick Matthews, I would suggest that both Bennett & Backlund would be available in trades for the right return.

I'm not suggesting trading Bennett for Bishop, IMO that would be an over payment by Calgary.

Bishop is 29, and his $5.95M contract expires at the end of next season.

He has been a NHL starter for 3 seasons averaging 2.20 GA and .922 SV%.

If the Flames are fortunate enough to win the lottery and pick Matthews, I would suggest that both Bennett & Backlund would be available in trades for the right return.

IF we got Matthews then yes, its an option. But it would have to be one heck of a return. 

Unless it was a legitimate starting goaltender, I don't really know what else we'd consider them expendable for. 

The addition of Matthews gives us a top 6 player which would make trading for another somewhat of a lateral move rather than an improvement. . 

With the expansion draft coming we don't want to have a top 4 D who will be exposed from a trade. 

What else did you have in mind?

So glad this will never happen.   Don't even know where to start.

So glad this will never happen.   Don't even know where to start.

My thought when I saw FF's post was if these are the 4 top goalies then a lot of teams are trying to get by with average or slightly better than average goaltending. This is where I believe our team needs to be better overall with their defensive efforts. Yes we need more reliable goaltending but great goaltenders are not an everyday happening. Carey Price was nothing fantastic in is first how many years but he worked on his craft continuously, this is what it takes to become great.

IF we got Matthews then yes, its an option. But it would have to be one heck of a return.

Unless it was a legitimate starting goaltender, I don't really know what else we'd consider them expendable for.

The addition of Matthews gives us a top 6 player which would make trading for another somewhat of a lateral move rather than an improvement. .

With the expansion draft coming we don't want to have a top 4 D who will be exposed from a trade.

What else did you have in mind?

I don't think it's an option even then. Then you'd be searching for a replacement for Backlund.he has somewhat quietly become a key piece of the core. Bennett will haunt you.i could be sold on a Bennett trade but I agree with the above statement that it would need to be a massively impressive return.

I would be more open to trading the 1St overall to Phoenix for Domi and OEL than trading these 2.

I don't think it's an option even then. Then you'd be searching for a replacement for Backlund.he has somewhat quietly become a key piece of the core. Bennett will haunt you.i could be sold on a Bennett trade but I agree with the above statement that it would need to be a massively impressive return.

I would be more open to trading the 1St overall to Phoenix for Domi and OEL than trading these 2.

I don't think BT will get crazy in coming up with a resolve for our goaltending. Bishop is a 1 year deal that will not catapult us into the SC so why start giving away the very players and picks we need in order to rebuild properly. The Flames have only so many assets that actually have real value and Backlund is one of them. Will he be used to get a goalie ? it is a possibility that shouldn't be ruled out but if they do I would guess it would be for a goalie that would stay for awhile.

Does Backlund plus get us Murray from PIT, a goalie that can grow with this team core ? If so I would think we do this deal.

When you look at Bennett's stats they are right with Monahan's in his rookie season. Any judgement to trade him will be dependant on next year's play.

Not sure which poster said it, but I would agree that despite needing a goalie we need better defensive coverage. A goalie should be high on our list but Bennett for Bishop is ridiculous. Better D coverage with just average goaltending, we move leaps and bounds from this year.

There are not many teams in need of goaltending especially a starter. Reimer could be a good stop gap for 2 season's at 3 million. I would even look at a back up as well, Ortio is not in my cards as any part of our goaltending tandem. If were trade for any goalie it would be Murray out of Pittsburg, it would be a huge over payment as well.

In the event of such fortune that we get Matthews,

I would say that we're most likely on the wrong thread.   With the advent of the expansion draft, whoever we get, they would most likely be a young prospect with minimal professional experience that would be ineligible for the expansion draft.

In other words, we would be slightly pushing our rebuild out, in order to escape the expansion draft's clutches.

For those who dream of a great 2017 rebound, this is not the answer they'll want to hear.   But it would be a Likely move given the significant value of our current young core, and our subsequent vulnerability in any expansion.

So that Could be a Goalie.  Or a D.  or a RW.   But they would not likely be that seasoned vet many dream of, like a Carey Price.   And while it Could be a goalie, with the way they develop, it may be hard to find one that young, and that valuable, to trade Bennett for.  I am sure the Flames would try.  

Not sure which poster said it, but I would agree that despite needing a goalie we need better defensive coverage. A goalie should be high on our list but Bennett for Bishop is ridiculous. Better D coverage with just average goaltending, we move leaps and bounds from this year.

We agree there.

Flames are not trading Bennett for goaltending, not even if they got Matthews. Flames are short multiple top 6 forwards so getting Mathews doesn't create a surplus you can or should deal from it fills some pretty serious gaps hat are there. I think bennet can be just as effective in the wing as at center so there is no need to trade him, especially for a goalie on a one year deal and 30 years old.

Treliving is a smart guy and if he is going to give up top notch assets it's going to be for some who can be around for a while. I have no doubt he'll get a goalie but I think it will either be someone under the radar we arnt talking about, or will be dealing something like a 2nd rounder for someone like Darcy Keumper. I don't see the flames paying big unless it's someone like Matt Murray, who btw I don't think is going to be available.

• Like 2

When you look at Bennett's stats they are right with Monahan's in his rookie season. Any judgement to trade him will be dependant on next year's play.

There are not many teams in need of goaltending especially a starter. Reimer could be a good stop gap for 2 season's at 3 million. I would even look at a back up as well, Ortio is not in my cards as any part of our goaltending tandem. If were trade for any goalie it would be Murray out of Pittsburg, it would be a huge over payment as well.

I am with you on this. I know it seems like I argue against having better goaltending. What I am actually saying is, the team can only improve so much with better goaltending that we're not necessarily in a playoff position. Other than having a good goalie, if we got one, our team is not very hard to play against in the defensive end. 

I fear that if we get Bishop, for say Bennett, our team makes him look bad. I fear the same about getting an Elliotte. But we will never know. 

I see Bishop as someone who is slightly worse than Crawford. And some on here believe Crawford is just average or above average. Sometimes the team makes the goalie better and sometimes the goalie makes the team better. I'd rather it somewhere in-between, and we're nowhere near the in-between when it comes to coverage and possession. Although closer than the year before. 

In the event of such fortune that we get Matthews,

I would say that we're most likely on the wrong thread.   With the advent of the expansion draft, whoever we get, they would most likely be a young prospect with minimal professional experience that would be ineligible for the expansion draft.

In other words, we would be slightly pushing our rebuild out, in order to escape the expansion draft's clutches.

For those who dream of a great 2017 rebound, this is not the answer they'll want to hear.   But it would be a Likely move given the significant value of our current young core, and our subsequent vulnerability in any expansion.

So that Could be a Goalie.  Or a D.  or a RW.   But they would not likely be that seasoned vet many dream of, like a Carey Price.   And while it Could be a goalie, with the way they develop, it may be hard to find one that young, and that valuable, to trade Bennett for.  I am sure the Flames would try.  

We will  be getting a starter this coming season, so a rebound will happen.  We won't be trading the core to do it, nor trading significant prospects to do it.  So Gio/Brodie/Hamilton/Johnny/Mony/Bennett/Backlund/Frolik are not in any trade plans.  Prospects such as Kylington, Andersson, Shink, Poirier, Janko are not in the trade picture either.

I'm not sure of what could be used to make the trade, but there are some interesting goalies that teams will be forced to trade this season.  Perhaps even Ortio could be used in a trade.

We will  be getting a starter this coming season, so a rebound will happen.  We won't be trading the core to do it, nor trading significant prospects to do it.  So Gio/Brodie/Hamilton/Johnny/Mony/Bennett/Backlund/Frolik are not in any trade plans.  Prospects such as Kylington, Andersson, Shink, Poirier, Janko are not in the trade picture either.

I'm not sure of what could be used to make the trade, but there are some interesting goalies that teams will be forced to trade this season.  Perhaps even Ortio could be used in a trade.

I agree with you for the most part. But I think that Poirier and Shinkaruk could be had. At this time they're currency.

Backlund could be a trade high candidate. But I am not very sure he'd be one Treliving would trade.

I think the major untouchables are the ones you mentioned and Backlund could be the loose one that could be pried away. 

I don't think there is a prospect the flames wouldn't move in the right deal. I'm not saying they would trade them for just anyone but I don view any prospect they have as untouchable even Gilles. Flames have some solid prospects but they don't have anyone whose upside IMO is high enough to put them on the untouchable list. I'd gladly discuss moving any prospect the flames have in the search for better goaltending or a starter.

For me, I am very interested in seeing what Jankowski does. Perhaps it's my soft spot for the underdog, or the least liked player. It seems like fans are 50/50 on the player. I worry about trading him too soon. He has always displayed having some of the best skill at development camps. So I think there's something there. 

The untouchables are the core though. 

Monahan

Gaudreau

Giordano

Brodie

Hamilton

Bennett

Flames are not trading Bennett for goaltending, not even if they got Matthews. Flames are short multiple top 6 forwards so getting Mathews doesn't create a surplus you can or should deal from it fills some pretty serious gaps hat are there. I think bennet can be just as effective in the wing as at center so there is no need to trade him, especially for a goalie on a one year deal and 30 years old.

Treliving is a smart guy and if he is going to give up top notch assets it's going to be for some who can be around for a while. I have no doubt he'll get a goalie but I think it will either be someone under the radar we arnt talking about, or will be dealing something like a 2nd rounder for someone like Darcy Keumper. I don't see the flames paying big unless it's someone like Matt Murray, who btw I don't think is going to be available.

Well this is probably the closest we've ever gotten to agreeing on this topic....ever....lol.

There is absolutely no way Bennett would be traded for Any 30 year old goalie and the thought of it is actually a bit upsetting.   If the Flames get a goalie, I also agree it will be someone under the radar.  Because that's something you can do with goalies.   I'm hoping they're young...but we agree on the radar.

Matt Murray, or anyone else of that age and caliber, will almost certainly be unavailable.  Also agree there. 

BUT....in a world where we had Matthews and Bennett/Monahan wasn't untouchable....Could there be a trade such as Bennett for Murray?    Reluctantly, I would say there is a small hypothetical chance.   But extremely unlikely, because of Murray's perceived value.    And I wouldn't like the trade either, because I think there are less Costly ways to find that calibre.   Through prospect acquisition and development.  The Same way the Pens got Matt Murray.   And...I think the Flames Have actually made Some inroads there now.  Schneider's first few AHL games, even the last one, were exceptional.  Then Gillies, Ortio, MacDonald....they are starting to stack the odds at a low cost.

And no, I still don't agree with everything, but that should hardly be a shocker.   It is Unlikely that Bennett will be traded.  Just as it is unlikely that we get Matthews.   But our top young forward core is not completely untouchable.   Gaudreau is not untouchable.   Monahan and Bennett are currently untouchable, yes.   In a world with Matthews, it would be a an extremely difficult decision but they would not be untouchable.

If flames want bishop wouldn't they be better off tossing in a mix of some established nhlers and young forwards clogging the ahl.ie bouma colborne jooris ferland arnold poirier grant. I would let yzerman pick a bunch of em out of the non core group(3 Def gio ham & brodie and 5 fw jh mono sb backs frolic.how much did it take to get kipper from sanjose?

If flames want bishop wouldn't they be better off tossing in a mix of some established nhlers and young forwards clogging the ahl.ie bouma colborne jooris ferland arnold poirier grant. I would let yzerman pick a bunch of em out of the non core group(3 Def gio ham & brodie and 5 fw jh mono sb backs frolic.how much did it take to get kipper from sanjose?

4844d677772d47f1fa851da77713e984.png

Bishop is having a Vesina candidate caliber year. His is not 30 yet and would instantly become a part of our core if we managed to get him. Those of you doubting his abilities should understand this season is not a one off year. He has put up similar numbers for at least 3 years now, and big reason why  his team challenged for the finals.

315adc71f2bb2472c57972ccae5eaed6.png

There is no way you could pry him away from Tampa even if they are signing Drouin, Stamkos and others for Kipper type money/draft picks.