s4xon

Is there any chance that Jonas will play again this season? Last games he played were 10th dec. against Sabres and 12th dec. against NYR.  Both games with 3-4 goals against, but wins after injury and with obvious illness. I still think he deserves his chance to play.

Is there any chance that Jonas will play again this season? Last games he played were 10th dec. against Sabres and 12th dec. against NYR.  Both games with 3-4 goals against, but wins after injury and with obvious illness. I still think he deserves his chance to play.

Looks like Hiller will get the start tonight...   Hopefully he has a good game...  

ecc09694e5bee796c0144ca001816f5a.png

No doubt so are Hiller's...   :ph34r:

There never a good time to start a goalie that hasn't played in a long time.  His last two starts were wins by the team, in spite of his goaltending.  I hope he can regain some of his form (so we can trade him by TDL) because he has not looked like a capable goalie this year.

With the shutout last night and playing well, in spite of relatively few really difficult chances by Florida, it will be interesting to see what BH does on Saturday versus the Oilers.  I'm thinking it could go either way but to keep up the "Ramo is our starter" narrative (and he deservedly is) I expect Ramo will get the start.  If Ramo falters Hiller will get back in, and in any case he could get one of the back-to-backs on the upcoming road trip.

With the shutout last night and playing well, in spite of relatively few really difficult chances by Florida, it will be interesting to see what BH does on Saturday versus the Oilers.  I'm thinking it could go either way but to keep up the "Ramo is our starter" narrative (and he deservedly is) I expect Ramo will get the start.  If Ramo falters Hiller will get back in, and in any case he could get one of the back-to-backs on the upcoming road trip.

I think Hartley basically said that he wanted the chance to give Hiller a run of games.  There is no reason to go back to Ramo after a shutout for Hiller.  Not that Hiller was overly great, but he did what he needed to do.  The team dominated for him, and never let many quality shots through.

Saying that, the choice really depends on the style of goalie required to win any given game.  Hiller is described as a "blocking" goalie, while Ramo is a "save" goalie.  Hiller will stay deep in the crease and prevent anything directed at the lower 5/6 of the net, but goes down early and stays there to prevent the goals on close to the ice.  He tends to get beat in the top part of the net, stick side. Ramo battles every shot with blocker or glove or pads.  He tends to get beat low (5 hole) or high, glove side.  But he never gives up on a play.

• Like 1

Well, Edmonton is one of the worst teams in the league (at least in terms of the standings) and Hiller is coming off a shutout, so there's probably no better time to give him a second game and see if he can go on a run.

On the other hand, Hiller still makes me very nervous, and a win against a divisional rival is really, really important.

I would probably say start Hiller, though. We do need Ramo to get some rest against the weaker teams. Otherwise, in the event we do make the playoffs, we may have a Kipper scenario, where the team has rode the goalie so hard through the regular season that he doesn't have enough gas in the tank for a playoff run.

• Like 1

I don´t see why not start goalie who has shutout in previous match, no matter if it is your starter, backup or prospect goalie. In my point of view, if there in not some long-term plan of starts or injury, then goalie with shutout must have chance to start again. Even the no.1 goalie should accept this ;) . Yes, Jonas got "only" 15 saves, but shuout is never easy thing, it needs good performance from goalie and entire team too.

I would have to agree and if it were me I would go Hiller against the Oilers. I think he deserves it and I think Ramo could also use the day off. Unless Hiller plays unreal then you go back to Ramo as your starter. 

Edit: Hiller is in against the Oil. 

To be fair, Kipper was never the problem in our abrupt playoff departures. THat one year where we got blown out by the Ducks he stopped something like 185 of 200 shots over 4 games. Which is as much as you can ask. 

Fair point, though I think it's still a legitimate concern. So I'm glad to see Hiller getting the start.

I agree with Cross, after Edmonton I think you go back to Ramo (unless Hiller is stellar), because I don't really want the Flames getting back into the 1A/1B thing when Ramo is playing really well and has a lot of momentum. BUT, even if Hiller plays good, not great, I think it at least gives the coaching staff confidence to get him in the rotation a little more often (i.e., no more 12 game stretches for Ramo).

I hope Hiller starts the next 8 games in a row, because that will mean we will have won atleast 7 of them.

He is getting the next start (deservedly so) based on a SOL.  He let in a softie, but overall was good against a team struggling to score.  I'm not sure I agree with the strategy of going with the hot hand over who established himself as the #1.  Yes, you give the guy who gets a shutout (in a lopsided game) the next start, and 1GA is a good reason to get him a 3rd in a row, but Ramo is the guy that got you to this point.  You have to go back to Ramo after the NJD game.

He is getting the next start (deservedly so) based on a SOL.  He let in a softie, but overall was good against a team struggling to score.  I'm not sure I agree with the strategy of going with the hot hand over who established himself as the #1.  Yes, you give the guy who gets a shutout (in a lopsided game) the next start, and 1GA is a good reason to get him a 3rd in a row, but Ramo is the guy that got you to this point.  You have to go back to Ramo after the NJD game.

I think the point is that we need both guys going.

Shouldn't be a "favourite" in our tandem, just establish confidence and reliability in both.

That was a lot of why we surprised so many last year imho.

I think the point is that we need both guys going.

Shouldn't be a "favourite" in our tandem, just establish confidence and reliability in both.

That was a lot of why we surprised so many last year imho.

Doing so requires that you show confidence in both, not just the guy winning or playing well.  Hiller got his chance after Ramo was brutalized by bad bounces.  You want Ramo to get cold?  Sit him out until he is needed.

I always question the "coming in cold" thing. 

Do goalies not practice between games or something? No its not the same situation, but by that logic you should only ever have one goalie so they're always "going" or alternate ever game no matter how they play if you have two so they're as fresh as possible. 

Neither of those makes sense. 

Ramo was given a lot of straight starts, his first few were terrible and he improved. But it took a while. 

Hiller by contrast has sat on the bench for two months and came in to play his best two games of the season (arguably the last two seasons). 

There's really no logic to worrying about someone going "cold" on the bench IMHO.