s4xon

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It looks like both PITTS and WPG have an extra goaie in the fold.

Jarry in PITTS

Comrie in WPG

Both are waiver eligible.

Both have had some good seasons in the AHL, while Jarry has at least played decently in the NHL (not so much recently).

Gillies has not had a good season in some time.  

Any interest in either potential castoff?

I would take a look at Jarry, he has looked capable at the NHL level. 

Comrie hasn't looked good at all in his games with the Jets. He has been consistent in the AHL.

It is time to move on from Gillies, make him a throw in on a trade.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Comrie hasn't looked good at all in his games with the Jets. He has been consistent in the AHL.

I would lean towards Jarry of the two.

Had reasonable results playing on a offense-first team like the Pens.

Gillies has never been able to get better since his surgury.

He's always looked overwhelmed until he lets in 2 goals, then locks it down.

Bad glove hand, plays small.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I know what you're saying. If, I were a GM I'd never use a pick on a goalie unless he was Vaslievsky type or Price type. Majority of NHL goalies dont hit there stride until 26-27 years old. Then, most of them are let go by their organizations at 24 and another team picks them up and they become solid 2 years later. So, if I was BT I'd look at other teams goaltenders in the AHL and try and get a steal. Give Gilles 2 more years and see where it goes. Gilles is costing minimal dollars my as well hang on to him now. Kippersoff was a 27 year old goalie and was 3rd on SJ depth chart. He, also had average AHL stats.

1 hour ago, Irocke99 said:

I know what you're saying. If, I were a GM I'd never use a pick on a goalie unless he was Vaslievsky type or Price type. Majority of NHL goalies dont hit there stride until 26-27 years old. Then, most of them are let go by their organizations at 24 and another team picks them up and they become solid 2 years later. So, if I was BT I'd look at other teams goaltenders in the AHL and try and get a steal. Give Gilles 2 more years and see where it goes. Gilles is costing minimal dollars my as well hang on to him now. Kippersoff was a 27 year old goalie and was 3rd on SJ depth chart. He, also had average AHL stats.

He's on a one way this season and is waiver eligible.

Reasonable chance we lose him for nothing if he fails to make the opening night roster as a backup.

Just now, Irocke99 said:

Put all that development time in him, then just lose him for nothing? T. Parsons had some suicidal problems before last season and had a bad AHL year. I, hope hes ok now. But, in the pros unfortunately theyll see that as a sign of he cant mentally handle the pro life as a Nhl goalie. Maybe, it will click for Gilles this season. Our, young goalies arent fairing to good. 

12 minutes ago, Irocke99 said:

Gilles is a big tall goalie like Bishop. Learn Angles. Parsons is athletic as hell but is probably dealing with internal stuff. Love the guy hope he comes back strong.

Gillies biggest problem is mental, he lacks focus. He's big and athletic, but he is too prone to weak goals and hasn't really shown any improvement since turning pro.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Gillies biggest problem is mental, he lacks focus. He's big and athletic, but he is too prone to weak goals and hasn't really shown any improvement since turning pro.

Your right bro. He, gets shaken really easily. He, should be a little better by now. But, he isnt. Schneider looks better then him. Schneider is a good puck handler. I'm, still bothered BY BT taking Raymond over Demko in that one draft year.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:21 PM, travel_dude said:

I would lean towards Jarry of the two.

Had reasonable results playing on a offense-first team like the Pens.

Gillies has never been able to get better since his surgury.

He's always looked overwhelmed until he lets in 2 goals, then locks it down.

Bad glove hand, plays small.

The Tristan Jarry suggestion is a good one.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I was hoping we'd get Tristan back then honestly.    Now he's in a bit of a rough patch and it could work.

I think they have two guys they can run with, so Jarry is expendable.

DeSmith had better NHL numbers recently.

Jarry could bring them back a prospect or pick.

Or maybe, we go crazy:

Kessel (2m retained) + Maatta + Jarry for Brodie + Janko + Czarnik

We buy out Stone.

Trade Frolik for Zucker.

Trade Maatta to TOR for Kadri.

JH-Monahan-Kessel

Tkachuk-Kadri-Zucker

Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Kylington

Fantenberg

Rittich

Jarry 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Or maybe, we go crazy:

We buy out Stone.

Trade Frolik for Zucker.

JH-Monahan-Kessel

Tkachuk-Kadri-Zucker

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Kylington

Fantenberg

Rittich

Jarry 

Like it.  I’m hoping BT does at least this much this off-season as some serious shake up is required.

If you had told me start of last season that 2019-20 would open with Smith in EDM and Talbot in CGY , I'd have laughed.. now it seems like its really not a far fetched idea 

Remember just a couple years ago, people were hot and bothered trying to "find the Next Talbot"..?

Another reconsideration of first-round goalies:

That said, we need to rethink our whole development system for goalies before investing.   it is the one position where were are Oilers-like.   prospect killerz.

I probably don't have time, but I'd kind of love to do some stats on first-round goalies versus first round forwards/defencemen.

First thing I think of is Trevor Kidd...

2nd thing I think of, though, is Martin Brodeur.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Another reconsideration of first-round goalies:

That said, we need to rethink our whole development system for goalies before investing.   it is the one position where were are Oilers-like.   prospect killerz.

I probably don't have time, but I'd kind of love to do some stats on first-round goalies versus first round forwards/defencemen.

First thing I think of is Trevor Kidd...

2nd thing I think of, though, is Martin Brodeur.

Funny you should mention that , Flames Nation had a couple Great articles today ..  basically no matter what you do, or where you pick them .. they're crapshoots 

I totally missed that we took John Gillies ahead of Matt Murray ..we definitely are not alone in roling the dice 

Many of ours were extremely high regarded picks.. even Trevor Kidd, we can call it a flop but fact is he was considered a Blue Chip Cant Miss 

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/06/06/in-recent-years-nhl-teams-have-avoided-drafting-goalies-early/

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/06/06/the-comprehensive-history-of-the-flames-drafting-goalies/

53 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Funny you should mention that , Flames Nation had a couple Great articles today ..  basically no matter what you do, or where you pick them .. they're crapshoots 

I totally missed that we took John Gillies ahead of Matt Murray ..we definitely are not alone in roling the dice 

Many of ours were extremely high regarded picks.. even Trevor Kidd, we can call it a flop but fact is he was considered a Blue Chip Cant Miss 

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/06/06/in-recent-years-nhl-teams-have-avoided-drafting-goalies-early/

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/06/06/the-comprehensive-history-of-the-flames-drafting-goalies/

Interesting.  Looking at that first round history, the mere existence of Vasilievski on that list kind of says to me, globally, chances may not be that bad.  I think you'd need to do a deeper dive,

Now, with the Flames, specifically.   OK.  Yeah WE should be afraid of first round goalie picks, lol.   But if we're not going to do something about our development system, then we shouldn't draft goalies in any round.   Except college goalies or goalies which will develop abroad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 4:23 PM, travel_dude said:

Or maybe, we go crazy:

We buy out Stone.

Trade Frolik for Zucker.

JH-Monahan-Kessel

Tkachuk-Kadri-Zucker

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Kylington

Fantenberg

Rittich

Jarry 

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you're defense is still porous as hell ....nobody to clear the front of the net.. Valamaki needs a vet steady d man to cover and mentor him.. I'd take Jarry and park him in the AHL as insurance but would sign someone like Reimer as well as backup.. That's like a brand new team up front.. If you're gonna dream.. Dream big!! lol I don't see a lot of movement on forwards too early in the season

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you're defense is still porous as hell ....nobody to clear the front of the net.. Valamaki needs a vet steady d man to cover and mentor him.. I'd take Jarry and park him in the AHL as insurance but would sign someone like Reimer as well as backup.. That's like a brand new team up front.. If you're gonna dream.. Dream big!! lol I don't see a lot of movement on forwards too early in the season

Jarry is only on the trade block because he is waiver fodder.

We try to park him there and he will be picked up.

At worst, our defense has equal abilities of clearing the front of the net.  Originally, I was suggesting Trouba for Brodie++, but that's a tough sell.

There's going to be a lot of teams that screw up this summer.

SJS overpaying for an aging D.

Marner getting 10m forcing them to sell Ladri and/or Kapanen.

FLA going all Bob and Bread, but NYR ending up with Breadman.

If I was thinking about Reimer, he would have a short leash.  He would be the one parked there.