s4xon

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Phoenix Phast Phingers.....again? :lol:

one of the benefits of a Home Office job :D

and the 4th becomes a 3rd if they sign him .. ive been wrong before, but I dont see him signing before July 1 unless we play our hand elsewhere 

I'm glad. Bishop isn't enough for us. We keep pretending it's goaltending with us, and we keep seeing it's not.

5 x $5.5 maybe? We need a better roster.

Huge risk for us to grab Bishop. It may solve nothing.

Then we're strapped to do the right kind of changes, which I believe is roster.

We blame G every year.

The mark of every great G is playing behind a very good roster...

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

one of the benefits of a Home Office job :D

and the 4th becomes a 3rd if they sign him .. ive been wrong before, but I dont see him signing before June 1 unless we play our hand elsewhere 

They buried Niemi last yr. They can buyout Lehtonen.

We can sign Lehtonen cheap and sign Elliott.

Don't let Dallas' porous D fool you.

Lehtonen has been a very good goalie for a very long time.

Blame him, but there likely isn't a worse D roster in the entire league.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

i seriously dont want either of their goalies anywhere near us..  while yes , a bad defense affects a goalie, it also exposes them ..  Take Robin Lehner, also behind a bad defense, didnt  get the wins but his stats are great

Lehtonen's also going to be 34 in November.. whoever we get needs to be solid for us for likely 3-4 years

So, LA gave up an okay backup goalie, a defenceman, and a conditional pick that could become a second round pick (unlikely apparently) to use Bishop for a cup of coffee, and then they get back a second or a third? I wonder why they canned Lombardi?

Just now, phoenix66 said:

i seriously dont want either of their goalies anywhere near us..  while yes , a bad defense affects a goalie, it also exposes them ..  Take Robin Lehner, also behind a bad defense, didnt  get the wins but his stats are great

Lehtonen's also going to be 34 in November.. whoever we get needs to be solid for us for likely 3-4 years

I don't want Niemi anywhere near us.

If Lehtonen is bought out, we sign him for a mil?

You're pretending he isn't a very good goalie.

He is. He's 34, oh no. He was drafted by Atlanta, I get it.

I'd be lying if I said Lehtonen didn't win games by himself last year.

He ALWAYS does. Dallas' finishes aren't because of Lehtonen. It's because they have zero investment in D men...

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

hmm.. not sure what I believe , especially when we were negotiating at the draft and he fully thought it was happening ...  but if this is true, then we look at Plan B..

2017-05-09_16-17-57.jpg

It was reported the Flames were on his no trade list last summer as well.  Yet, Bishop was on media acting like he thought all was good and that he was coming to Calgary until the Flames decided to go with Elliott.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't want Niemi anywhere near us.

If Lehtonen is bought out, we sign him for a mil?

You're pretending he isn't a very good goalie.

He is. He's 34, oh no. He was drafted by Atlanta, I get it.

I'd be lying if I said Lehtonen didn't win games by himself last year.

He ALWAYS does. Dallas' finishes aren't because of Lehtonen. It's because they have zero investment in D men...

he's ok but wildly inconsistent..  at best I see him as a sideways move from Elliot 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It was reported the Flames were on his no trade list last summer as well.  Yet, Bishop was on media acting like he thought all was good and that he was coming to Calgary until the Flames decided to go with Elliott.

exactly .. something doesn't add up.. but then just now on 960, they had an add on stating that Calgary was in on trying to trade, but were declined due to the list .. who knows, maybe he hasnt updated his list in a few years lol

Well if he doesnt sign in the next week, we'll have a good indication he's waiting ...  but in the meantime, I'm sure BT has some plan B's in the fire , 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

he's ok but wildly inconsistent..  at best I see him as a sideways move from Elliot 

Matches having a bunch of zeroes on D man. They spend what, maybe $9mil on D? They suck on D.

It's not sideways, he'd be the starter, the backup (Elliott) has a bigger contract. Lehtonen earning more money compliments of Dallas.

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It is not a terrible idea assuming we also have Elliott. I just wonder if perceptions will make this unlikely. That is, if the duo do not work out, then it makes Treliving look terrible. People will say "I told you so!" By contrast, if he signs a bigger name and they don't work out, then he can blame the team/coach for poor performance. It is a risky move for Treliving.

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

exactly .. something doesn't add up.. but then just now on 960, they had an add on stating that Calgary was in on trying to trade, but were declined due to the list .. who knows, maybe he hasnt updated his list in a few years lol

Well if he doesnt sign in the next week, we'll have a good indication he's waiting ...  but in the meantime, I'm sure BT has some plan B's in the fire , 

I think it's becoming obvious the Flames are Bishop's plan B, in which case, we should look elsewhere.  Why sign a guy to big money long term when they don't really want to be here.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I think it's becoming obvious the Flames are Bishop's plan B, in which case, we should look elsewhere.  Why sign a guy to big money long term when they don't really want to be here.

To be clear, are you suggesting that Bishop's agent is using the list as a tactic to generate a price war on the dude? If so, the guy must have sold real estate before working in hockey.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

I just hope we don't get MAFleury. I have never been sold on the guy right from the beginning. 

Ya but with two years left on his current contract, MAF buys time for us to see what we have in Gillies.  And maybe we can get the Pens to retain some cap.

I know what you mean though, MAF had highs and lows like Elliott... The lows can get really low...

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya but with two years left on his current contract, MAF buys time for us to see what we have in Gillies.  And maybe we can get the Pens to retain some cap.

I know what you mean though, MAF had highs and lows like Elliott... The lows can get really low...

I kind of see MAF as a more expensive Elliott. I will also admit that I am biased on the matter. He came in with more fanfare than Prince Justin got on CBC. He fell far short of expectations while backing an excellent team. Doesn't San Jose have another backup they want to send back to Finland?

• Like 1

I'm kinda relieved myself. We'd be pretty messed up if it made zero difference. And I suspect that. We have to make a team, buying one rarely works out.

Having Lehtonen AND Elliott around Gillies, I'd love that. Maybe Gillies gets some looks from the IR?

Sounds perfect to me.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

To be clear, are you suggesting that Bishop's agent is using the list as a tactic to generate a price war on the dude? If so, the guy must have sold real estate before working in hockey.

No, I think Bishop genuinely doesn't want to be in Calgary unless all other options are exhausted first, and/or the Flames over pay.  In other words if the Flames and Stars both offer the same money, he will sign with the Stars.  They Flames may have to overpay at least 25% to tilt his scale.

It's like looking for work in Calgary's oil and gas market right now.  You know where you'd like to work but they aren't hiring so you'll just take the next best thing and see whoever pays more.

7 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

like i said before, we should know in the next week. Almost every successful trade and sign, has resulted in a fairly fast signing .

Until then , we're in the same boat we were this morning , a player we cant talk to til the last week of June 

Plan B?  I'd get Fleury and Raanta as back up ..

No, I think Bishop genuinely doesn't want to be in Calgary unless all other options are exhausted first, and/or the Flames over pay.  In other words if the Flames and Stars both offer the same money, he will sign with the Stars.  They Flames may have to overpay at least 25% to tilt his scale.

It's like looking for work in Calgary's oil and gas market right now.  You know where you'd like to work but they aren't hiring so you'll just take the next best thing and see whoever pays more.

I'm an industry whore, but I don't want that in my goalie. :lol:

• Like 1

also .. why much does not make sense, and I'll believe it when he signs..

If you're Ben Bishop..

1) you just came out of a platoon experience you were clearly not happy about .. Dallas likely will have a backup that made almost as much as you last year 

2)You're 30 years old and have come close to a cup.. Dallas is far away from being a contender 

3)You're less than 60 days away from UFA for the 1st time in your career, and your value has never been higher 

4) you KNOW you will receive multiple offers and, yes, can be the center of a mini bidding war

5) I don't fully buy the No Trade list thing, because even with the list , a team will always ask the player if there's a chance they'd reconsider if the offer is good.. this would mean he actually declined again now to waive it ..which is even more puzzling given his comments to the media earlier..  this year .. it would make more sense for LA to say that as a way of not admitting they were simply playing keep away with Calgary

even if i do have some desire to play in Dallas (dont know why , he was  born in Colorado).. I wait to see what July 1 holds ...  but ..we will see 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

also .. why much does not make sense, and I'll believe it when he signs..

If you're Ben Bishop..

1) you just came out of a platoon experience you were clearly not happy about .. Dallas likely will have a backup that made almost as much as you last year 

2)You're 30 years old and have come close to a cup.. Dallas is far away from being a contender 

3)You're less than 60 days away from UFA for the 1st time in your career, and your value has never been higher 

4) you KNOW you will receive multiple offers and, yes, can be the center of a mini bidding war

5) I don't fully buy the No Trade list thing, because even with the list , a team will always ask the player if there's a chance they'd reconsider if the offer is good.. this would mean he actually declined again now to waive it ..which is even more puzzling given his comments to the media earlier..  this year .. it would make more sense for LA to say that as a way of not admitting they were simply playing keep away with Calgary

even if i do have some desire to play in Dallas (dont know why , he was  born in Colorado).. I wait to see what July 1 holds ...  but ..we will see 

You are very bad at conspiracy theories... Not that that's a bad thing of course.  B)