s4xon

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

There must be a reason. Unless he has incrementing pictures ...

Clearly, there are incriminating pictures.

Honestly though, while it is easy to play the "there must be a reason" card....and while it might often even be true...

It kind of ...defeats the whole purpose of these forums, no?  

Like, if every time Everyone on this forum actually agrees on something, is it really necessary to swoop in and say, "now now, that's for the professionals.  we are but insignificant specs of digital dust who could not possibly identify the most obvious mistakes we see in front of us, because this is Professional Sports, and in professional sports, decisions are always made correctly and with sound judgement after consultation with Don Cherry, Eric Francis, and the live sacrifice of 3 ECHL prospects Directly to the hockey Gods for guidance and in accordance with all agreements and statutes set out by Garry Bettman".

Can't we just have one place where we think we know better?   It's not like any of us openly have that at home, or at work!

And,...you know...when Most of us are agreeing on something...like...I mean...  even ME...

Ya know?

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Clearly, there are incriminating pictures.

Honestly though, while it is easy to play the "there must be a reason" card....and while it might often even be true...

It kind of ...defeats the whole purpose of these forums, no?  

Like, if every time Everyone on this forum actually agrees on something, is it really necessary to swoop in and say, "now now, that's for the professionals.  we are but insignificant specs of digital dust who could not possibly identify the most obvious mistakes we see in front of us, because this is Professional Sports, and in professional sports, decisions are always made correctly and with sound judgement after consultation with Don Cherry, Eric Francis, and the live sacrifice of 3 ECHL prospects Directly to the hockey Gods for guidance and in accordance with all agreements and statutes set out by Garry Bettman".

Can't we just have one place where we think we know better?   It's not like any of us openly have that at home, or at work!

And,...you know...when Most of us are agreeing on something...like...I mean...  even ME...

Ya know?

Love the post, got a good laugh, especially the non-hockey jibe....  Yes, its OK

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carty said:

So in other words any opinion that you express on this board is pretty flimsy and for bs reasons, or is it just that you think that your the only one qualified enough on this board to have an opinion?...    Your opinion is no more qualified or valid than a number of other peoples on this board cross...

Here is Sigalet's brief but complete coaching record...   Other than one season with the Silvertips, it is just with the Heat and the Flames, and we all know how well that has turned out so far......  

1f9f0754bc5ecd3042590257a344fa88.png

I am more of the opinion that if we are fortunate enough to have a goalie show improvement in the foreseeable future, it will be despite Sigalet being the coach and not because of it...    Perhaps down the road and with time he could turn into a great goalie coach, but I do not think that he is the right person at this point in time for either the Flames or the Heat...   So far his track record for goalie development does not exactly inspire confidence...   The idea should be to develop goalies and not to have to develop their coaches while they learn on the job...

Go ahead and name one goalie that has shown any significant improvement from being fortunate enough to be mentored by Sigalet and his vast depth of goaltending knowledge...  

Feel free to expand on your list of goalie coaches that have a successful track record  whether they played in the NHL or not...   It would be useful as a list of examples of what kind of goalie coach the Flames should be looking for, and also possibly provide some ideas for potential candidates to replace Sigalet...

No I didn't say at all that only my opinion mattered and in fact even said I don't know if he is a good coach or not. Reality is with position coaches and even assstant coaches we don't know because we are not in the room. How do you know that goalies don't love playing for him? How do you even know his coaching style? It's too simplistic to just look at results for certain players because no coach is going to be any good unless he has talent. 

Danny Taylor was bouncing around his career and under Sigalet was one of the better goalies in the A. One season Abbotsford went through about 8 different goalies and still had a really good year, that takes good coaching. People also forget two seasons ago the flames goaltending with Ramo and Hiller was in the top half of the league even with a tough goalie rotation. After a tough start last year Ramo and Sigalet made adjustments and Ramo actualky played quite well. I also like how Ortio bounced back after a tough start and a tough showing in the A and played solid down the stretch. Those are the reasons I like Sigalet and the good things I think he's done in the organization. 

If you want a more experienced goalie coach then fine I understand that. I dont agree because all good coaches have to start somewhere so a lack of experience is not a huge deal for me. I'm comfortable with Sigalet but certainly agree the next few years will be telling. 

46 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Now now cross, it's time to move on...

This one's for you jj...

"Another somebody done me wrong song"

f16fae1271e80106869a108b402098e9.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carty said:

It was mentioned by someone in the GDT, and I will say it again here...   I do not see the logic in Elliott's choice of red pads, blocker and catcher...

There is a good reason most are white...

I fail to see how it makes any difference. Elliott wore blue pads in St. Louis and was fine.

Last night most of the shots were right at his pads he just missed them.

10 minutes ago, Carty said:

It was mentioned by someone in the GDT, and I will say it again here...   I do not see the logic in Elliott's choice of red pads, blocker and catcher...

He's a team guy.  I think it would be a better choice at home, but who knows.  All read with the fans dressed in red. Maybe it should be the same color as the posts.  What color were Talbot's?  Translucent?

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's a team guy.  I think it would be a better choice at home, but who knows.  All read with the fans dressed in red. Maybe it should be the same color as the posts.  What color were Talbot's?  Translucent?

Red with a red jersey would be an improvement, but white is the better choice...

Here is another opinion on the subject that is worth a read...   https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/03/05/do_white_pads_give_goaltenders_an_unfair_advantage.html

7 minutes ago, Carty said:

Red with a red jersey would be an improvement, but white is the better choice...

Here is another opinion on the subject that is worth a read...   https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/03/05/do_white_pads_give_goaltenders_an_unfair_advantage.html

Good read.  I wonder if they had done any research on the different colors versus red.  He wore blue at home for the Blues, but white on the road.  Maybe he is evaluating the color on the road.  

2 hours ago, Carty said:

I wonder is there any rules against a gloss white color for pads.  Blend the pads in with the ice with a refractive look.  The good players only need a millisecond with their provisional abilities to spot openings and Elliott is helping them with contrasting pad colors.  If the pads look like ice, then the shooter will shoot at what they think is an opening only to find pads there afterward. 

I don't buy it. Elliott used blue pads last year and Crawford used black pads, both finished amongst the league leaders in save %.

When you look up and most of what you see is white, your eyes are going to be drawn to color and if you shoot at what you see. More often than not you will shoot at the color pads.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't buy it. Elliott used blue pads last year and Crawford used black pads, both finished amongst the league leaders in save %.

When you look up and most of what you see is white, your eyes are going to be drawn to color and if you shoot at what you see. More often than not you will shoot at the color pads.

As mentioned above, Elliott used white on the road.  Would have to look at road vs home to see if any difference was noticeable.  Even then, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As mentioned above, Elliott used white on the road.  Would have to look at road vs home to see if any difference was noticeable.  Even then, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

From the pictures I found he wore the blue gear on the road as well.

cut.jpg

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The majority of goaltenders seem to think otherwise...   That said, there are exceptions as with most things, and goalies can tend to have unique preferences for different things related to equipment ...   But one has to wonder if their SV% might have been improved to even better numbers with white...   In general predominantly white pads are the consensus of opinion among goalies, and there is good reason for it...   That is also why most pads for sale are also mostly white with color options for a smaller percentage of pattern design...

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That might be true for some of the lesser skilled shooters, but snipers know better...   Color makes it easier to see the holes, and for example that sure looked like the case when Elliott had two goals get past him in about the same area under the blocker arm last night...   Even on other goals, it sure did not look like they were aiming at the red to me...

11 minutes ago, Carty said:

The majority of goaltenders seem to think otherwise...   That said, there are exceptions as with most things, and goalies can tend to have unique preferences for different things related to equipment ...   But one has to wonder if their SV% might have been improved to even better numbers with white...   In general predominantly white pads are the consensus of opinion among goalies, and there is good reason for it...   That is also why most pads for sale are also mostly white with color options for a smaller percentage of pattern design...

That might be true for some of the lesser skilled shooters, but snipers know better...   Color makes it easier to see the holes, and for example that sure looked like the case when Elliott had two goals get past him in about the same area under the blocker arm last night...   Even on other goals, it sure did not look like they were aiming at the red to me...

To me it looked like both of those shots were going right for his blocker but he misread them and moved his blocker.

10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

So as not to give any goalie an advantage as to his team's colors I figure the new goalie equipment should specify brown only pads. & those pads be filled with horsehair like the greats including Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, etc. wore.

I was lucky...   When I was a kid I went through a couple of sets of leather pads that were stuffed with deer hair...   :ph34r:

On the plus side of things, the older style pads were great for developing leg strength...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carty said:

I was lucky...   When I was a kid I went through a couple of sets of leather pads that were stuffed with deer hair...   :ph34r:

On the plus side of things, the older style pads were great for developing leg strength...

What did you do with the horse hair when you groomed them?

& was Bambi shot only so you had goalie pads or did you eat the meat?

You know I'm lmfao but the kids will wonder. :lol:

I am so glad I started all this lol.

A couple things I'd like to add, although it's been really well discussed above already:

Blue Versus Red:   Red is arguably the Most visible color to humans (some will argue yellow).  A photographer will even tell you Green, but less relevant here.

One thing is clear:  NOBODY will say Blue.  Not a physicist, not a biologist, not an opthamologist, and not a photographer.

Red is the most commonly cited, with some dispute.  

It can be explained in terms of its wavelengths, in terms of  the receptor cones in our eyes, etc.

I prefer to think of it from an evolutionary sense.   

Blood.  We track blood well.   All animals do, prey and hunters alike.     Red is a particularly poor way to hide things.

Just ask any firefighter.

fire-truck.png&mode=crop&size=300x141

As per the link provided above, (https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/03/05/do_white_pads_give_goaltenders_an_unfair_advantage.html)

MAF ran into the same problem with Yellow.  Blue would not be nearly as severe, but Yellow and Red are almost equally bad, and MAF had to switch for this reason.

Color versus White Camo:    Ortio is the best goalie ever

I wrote my thoughts on that, above, in white :)